Giant Bomb-Omb tournament, techincal barriers.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Endogene

Technical barriers

Yesterday i posted a thread asking who would be interested in participation in a Super Smash Bros Brawl tournament, since the original response was big enough to continue i started planning out how this could be set up.

However i just tested if it was possible to host a match with/for a US resident and i experienced a enormous lag of about a second between the actual key press and the response on screen. Now knowing that it will be impossible to let players who live in Europe play with players who live in the US there is no other option than dividing the tournament into two. One tournament for the US residents and one for the European residents.

My self i will be able to host the Euro tournament (if of course enough members will be able to join) but someone else will have to host the US matches.

The planned date for the actual tournament is Saturday the 5th of January 2009.

So here is my question is anyone willing to host the tournament for the US residents that day? The tournament should not last longer than an hour from start to finish if everything goes fluidly (since matched will probably under the 3 min mark each) and since there is no other way to separate the two regions the hour of the tournament will be adapted to the time zone.

I hope that even with this barrier there will be enough contestants to organize a fun tournament.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Willy105

We should make a tournament grid, and assign people. Then they move up the ladder.

First of all, everybody who is participating should post their Friend Codes here and Mr. Endogene will post them in the first post. When the calling period is over, all participants copy the friend codes into their system, so that everybody in the tournament is in everybody's Friend List.

Then we play our assigned opponent, and the best one moves to the top!

And maybe I could host the US tournament. Sounds like fun!

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SpecTackle

Damnit, if this shit would have went on when the game came out I'd have probably kept my Wii. Thanks for making me regret selling it for the first time.

Blaaaaaaaah

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Willy105
CynageN said:
"Damnit, if this shit would have went on when the game came out I'd have probably kept my Wii. Thanks for making me regret selling it for the first time.

Blaaaaaaaah"
There have been millions on the internet, but this is the first one for Giantbomb.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Endogene
Willy105 said:
"Since this is a global tournament, we shouldn't have everything happen in an hour.

We should make a tournament grid, and assign people. Then they move up the ladder.

First of all, everybody who is participating should post their Friend Codes here and Mr. Endogene will post them in the first post. When the calling period is over, all participants copy the friend codes into their system, so that everybody in the tournament is in everybody's Friend List.

Then we play our assigned opponent, and the best one moves to the top!"
Its the "global" part that is the problem, to my knowledge we will not be able to have matches between player from the US and Europe without lag.

My initial plan was to host a game myself and let two contestants enter, i would commit suicide and then the two others would duke it out. Both of them would leave my game and the next two contestants would join etc... doing it like this would result in it being done fast. Also this way everybody only needed to add my FC and i would add everyone their codes to my account.

Your suggestion to let everyone add eachothers friend codes to each other is a valid alternative though.

edit: another reason why i wanted to host all the matches was because i was planning to film it all and to post the matches later on on the forums for everyone to see.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Willy105

Ah! Film it.

I cannot do that. I am ashamed.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Willy105 said:
NO! DON'T DO THIS!!!
Go to the official Friend Code Topic and post your friend code there as well. We could always use more. I'll update that thread with this info, even though no one will check it . . .
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Willy105
Arkthemaniac said:
"Willy105 said:
NO! DON'T DO THIS!!!
Go to the official Friend Code Topic and post your friend code there as well. We could always use more. I'll update that thread with this info, even though no one will check it . . .
"
Those are too many Friend Codes. We should do it in small chunks. Nobody wants to input 300 Friend Codes for one game.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Endogene

I think i found the best way to do it.

In a couple of days i will start an inscription thread that will close a week after wards. As soon as possible afterwards i will start a new thread with a tournament grid.
People will have up to the 5th at midnight to complete their first round. If by any chance someone's opponent does not show up the other player should send me a PM and tell me so before the 5th and that player will be declared winner by forfeit for that match.

It will be up to the contestants to organize them selves with their opponent on when their fight will be. Once a fight is done they'll send me a PM with the name of the winner and i will directly update the grid, by updateing the grid directly after a match it might be possible for the people who already won their first match to play their second match before the dead line of the first match.

At subscription i will ask in what time zone each players lives so that the starting positions of the players will be by time zone making it easier for everyone.

What do you guys think of this?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Willy105 said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"Willy105 said:
NO! DON'T DO THIS!!!
"
Those are too many Friend Codes. We should do it in small chunks. Nobody wants to input 300 Friend Codes for one game."
Wait . . . what?
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Willy105

I like it.

chazer127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12  Edited By chazer127

Im interested, i live inthe UK so I take it Im in the Europe tornament branch thing.