• 101 results
#1 Edited by DragoonZero (29 posts) -

Personally, I was inspired by the Unplugged: Pathfinder show tonight. However, while it was certainly amusing to watch the guys embody their characters as chickens, clown fish, and Borg Cubes I didn't feel it captured the grandeur of our Canadian adventurers' experience in Neo-Detroit.

I've played miniature war games for many years and have a huge stockpile of miniatures and parts. I've also wanted for some time to somehow contribute to the site and this seemed like a great opportunity. The hope is that I can get the whole crew assembled and painted ASAP so the guys have something more fitting to play with in future Pathfinder sessions (assuming there will be more of this feature).

Below are the very rough initial builds I was able to sculpt up and throw together tonight. All comments and thoughts are welcome! The Mighty Melanie and V-BOMB Goblin's Bane will be completed shortly. I hope you guys like what you see.Thanks and look forward to additional updates.

The deadly elf rogue: Detroit Jones as played by Brad.

Elven mage and wielder of the Quarterstaff of Missing: Drewcifer as played by Drew.

Finally, human mage and master of both sword and magic: John Sword Magic as played by Ian.

#2 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11471 posts) -

These are pretty fantastic. Hopefully they'll be put to use!

#3 Posted by RadixNegative2 (511 posts) -

Cool! I can't wait to see V-BOMB.

#4 Posted by johnbakosh (115 posts) -

FIrst of all, great idea.

As a tabletop enthusiast I have a pretty extensive knowledge of available miniature lines. I will do my best to assist you.

I will PM you my ideas.

#5 Posted by Deadlydog (139 posts) -

That's awesome man! I was just wondering how you sculpt these? I thought they came assembled and ready to paint?

#6 Posted by DragoonZero (29 posts) -

Thanks for the comments!

@deadlydog: it's a combination of kit-bashing existing model kits and then sculpting using tiny tools (dentist tools etc) and a two-part epoxy putty that hardens to the consistency of plastic. Some of the lighter grey areas of the models in the pictures were sculpted.

Some miniatures come assembled and painted (D&D minis, heroclix, and others) but the bulk of super nerdy tabletop games come unassembled and unpainted (Warhammer 40k and Fantasy, Warmachine and Hordes, etc.) Many players of those games enjoy the hobby element as much if not more than the game itself.

@johnbakosh: many thanks! I'm totally open to suggestions from other tabletop nerds!

#7 Posted by edudewired (8 posts) -

These are amazing, definitely better than Nemo and Chickens. Will Pickles be separate or detail on Melanie?

#8 Posted by Brodehouse (9581 posts) -

This is AWESOME *clap clap clapclapclap*

#9 Posted by Zelyre (1118 posts) -

@dragoonzero:

That's like $30 in Games Workshop parts used! (Ok. I'm exaggerating a bit there.) Do you play Warhammer Fantasy? I see a lot of dark elf parts there. Maybe a dark eldar head, too. Getting rid of old stock to make room for the new?

Have you seen the Reaper Bones line? I had a ton from the kickstarter and was going to paint them up and send them in, but since you've got me beat, I don't think I'll bother. (Any excuse for laziness!)

The reason I bring up Bones is that I find gamers who don't build and paint their own minis tend to handle minis differently. In ways where they get chipped, broken, dropped, etc. I've found handing out painted Bones miniatures to non-hobby players has worked out well.

I'd like to see some of your other works. Did you ever post in the miniatures thread a while back?

#11 Edited by GValo (196 posts) -

Brilliant idea. I hope you make sure to include a jug on V-Bomb's build. I imagine Vinny and Brad will go nuts for these

#12 Posted by automatontribe (196 posts) -

This is awesome! But what's up with John Swordmagic's face? It kind of looks like he's an orc or something.

#13 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3783 posts) -

My only suggestion would be to get the haircuts a little closer. Like chopping off that topnot on Detroit Jones and giving him the buzzcut/chops that Brad has etc. Probably a lot of work though. Cool models regardless.

#14 Posted by The_Vein (270 posts) -

This is great, will you paint them and mail them to the guys?

#15 Posted by DragoonZero (29 posts) -

@automatontribe: He's got kind of a weird cartoony human face. It should look more reasonable when it's painted up.

@thesoutherndandy: That's a good thought, I'll see what I can do with Detroit Jones in particular.

@the_vein: Yes! That's the plan. I'm gonna finish the build, paint up the figs and send them in a protective case.

@zelyre: After many years of warhammer, I have a ton of extra parts, so I'm just working with what seems appropriate for the guys. I have seen the Bones stuff, they are really nice looking. Good point on the handling of the minis, I'm using plastic glue and will seal the painted figs with a matte varnish, so I hope they survive. That's a good thought though regarding fragility etc.

#16 Posted by DragoonZero (29 posts) -

Quick update. I picked up some additional supplies and should have some time this weekend to finish up the builds. I'll post an update later this weekend. Thanks for the feedback!

#17 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

Where is Detroit Jones' magic bag of guns?! In all due seriousness That's fantastic. I look forward to seeing a more complete set!

#18 Posted by darkvare (758 posts) -

man you are a pretty good sculpture ever thought about streaming your process http://www.twitch.tv/team/art

#19 Posted by gaftra (158 posts) -
#20 Edited by DragoonZero (29 posts) -

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the comments! After a productive weekend, I have some updates. All the models are basically complete from a sculpting perspective (the green pieces are a modeling putty I used to patch up seems). There's a few clean up items before they get primed, but they're mostly there. I've also added some detail to the bases and made some alterations based on the comments above. Take a look at The Last Canadians in their tiny grey plastic glory.

Sorry the images aren't clearer, this is what I could do tonight with sub-optimal lighting. Hope everyone likes what they see. Comments are definitely appreciated. Thanks!

John Swordmagic with completed sleeves and patching.

Drewcifer with completed sculpt.

Detroit Jones after a much needed haircut and sculpt
Detroit's Bag of Holding Guns (shine is do to bad picture)

Melanie! Ready to heal!
Pickles the mummified parrot serving as a holy symbol

Mighty V BOMB with statue arm and goblin head

The Last Canadians to battle!

#21 Posted by mulchz (1 posts) -

Wow, these are awesome, dude. Fantastic work. I especially like Pickles and the statue arm.

#22 Posted by Monkeyman04 (1008 posts) -

DUDE! Those are awesome!

#23 Posted by TruthTellah (8529 posts) -

Holy smokes! That V-BOMB is fantastic!

#24 Edited by Enai (173 posts) -

Really nice work. I hope they get to use them

#25 Posted by bisdeux (2 posts) -

Amazing miniatures!

#26 Posted by Bicycle_Repairman (135 posts) -

EPIC

#27 Posted by Quid_Pro_Bono (238 posts) -

Oh my word great job dude!

#28 Posted by Rick_Fingers (524 posts) -

Freaking rad, even moreso because I can identify the different kits you've bashed into this.

Hmmm, maybe I'll do the guys as space marines? Haha

#29 Posted by devine1210 (20 posts) -

Awesome idea. Can't wait to see them when they are all painted.

#30 Posted by Goomba_Stomper (11 posts) -

WOW! Nice work on these!

#31 Posted by aeronnautical (7 posts) -

Those miniatures look amazing! I'm so glad they started the pathfinder game.

#32 Posted by phampire (281 posts) -

Incredible work, keep it up duder!

#33 Posted by extragingerbrew (152 posts) -

My mind is blown! Quality job mate.

#34 Posted by Moonshadow101 (555 posts) -

Staggering. Amazing how some random minis and a bit of greenstuff can make it all so real. Hope you can get these to them in the next couple of weeks!

#35 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5221 posts) -

This is super cool!

#36 Edited by Thiefsie (91 posts) -

Fuck oath this is rad. can't wait to see your skills in painting them.... and then see them on the show haha

#37 Posted by datarez (539 posts) -

The full party looks awesome.

#38 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1541 posts) -

Awesome job ... are you going to paint them?

#39 Posted by Bummlmitz (72 posts) -

Those are amazing!

#40 Posted by Skunkboy72 (128 posts) -

Big ups duder!

#41 Edited by DragoonZero (29 posts) -

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the long delay in updates. Work and life have been getting in the way of painting miniatures. That being said, I unfortunately won't make tomorrow's show, but I have some good progress on the miniatures. Everyone is base coated and V Bomb is completed! Please enjoy V Bomb the mighty! As always, questions and comments are appreciated!

V Bomb in all his glory! Complete with statue arm and vanquished goblin.
As you can see, he has his longsword, warhammer, and Handlebar Mustache of Doom
He is also sporting a fur cloak taken from a bugbear he vanquished by climbing.

#42 Posted by Flacracker (1595 posts) -

Amazing

#43 Posted by chiablo (897 posts) -

I would leave a comment, but I can't.

I'm speechless.

#44 Posted by Monkeyman04 (1008 posts) -

V-BOMB SMASH!

That's awesome! Can't wait for the rest of them.

#45 Posted by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

Holy Shit dude you're amazingly talented.

#46 Posted by Milkman (16519 posts) -

Dude, what the fuck? This is amazing.

#47 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Amazing work, duder. Please tell me you'll send those to the guys so we can see them in action.

Your painting skills are on par with the ones I saw when I had a subscription to Games Workshop's mag. (Really fucking good incase people don't know what I'm talking about)

#48 Edited by TruthTellah (8529 posts) -
#49 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Wow those are amazing?

#50 Edited by Snail (8579 posts) -

Holy shit these are turning out awesome.