mercanis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By mercanis

The title pretty much says it all. 

I noticed that people were posting scans from magazines in forums and image galleries. Is this always allowed on Giant Bomb or are there special circumstances that have to be met?

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Not_Rage

It's not allowed unless your uploading something like an old video game ad from a magazine. Scanning full magazines isn't allowed.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Not_Rage said:
" It's not allowed unless your uploading something like an old video game ad from a magazine. Scanning full magazines isn't allowed. "
Wrong. On Giant Bomb, posting scans are allowed. Obviously, not posting a full magazine but 2-3 pages are fine.
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Mrnitropb

Frowned upon, but keep it to specific game's forums an no one really cares. Reproducing an article is one thing, but not entire mags. And no beaver shots. 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By iam3green

i think you can post a couple but not like an entire magazine.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By face15

I don't think there's any official rule about it. 
I've certainly seen articles uploaded before that haven't been deleted or locked by the mods so I'm guessing that it's okay so long as the content abides by the rest of the rules.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By jeff
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @Not_Rage said:
" It's not allowed unless your uploading something like an old video game ad from a magazine. Scanning full magazines isn't allowed. "
Wrong. On Giant Bomb, posting scans are allowed. Obviously, not posting a full magazine but 2-3 pages are fine. "
With the exception of classic ad pages, that is not true at all. 

Do not post scans to Giant Bomb. Do not attach scans to image galleries.
willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By willin

No Caption Provided

On Topic
benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By benjaebe
@Lights_Up_The_Shaft: That's pretty awesome.

And yeah, most major sites don't allow scans to be posted.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Jeff said:
" "With the exception of classic ad pages, that is not true at all.  Do not post scans to Giant Bomb. Do not attach scans to image galleries. "

Alright, sorry. That should be added as an official rule somewhere, though, as there's obviously some confusion on the subject. Does that mean we should delete all images that are scans from magazines in the wiki? Because there's a ton of them.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@FluxWaveZ: If you see magazine scans on the wiki, it's probably best to shoot a PM off to myself and the other mods so we can delete it from the user's gallery too, since magazine scans are illegal because they're someone else's copyright (and won't fall under fair use rules like screenshots & boxart would) so we would want to remove them from the site completely, and we can also PM the users about it letting them know not to do it in the future. 

And I wouldn't have thought we needed a specific rule banning magazine scans, since our stance on illegal content is pretty clear, and it's pretty much common sense that scans fall into this category. But I will add something to our wiki FAQ about it though, making it even more clear. 

@Lights_Up_The_Shaft: That advert should totally read like this: 

No Caption Provided
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@MattyFTM: Honestly, I had no idea. I knew that posting scans on other websites was a bad thing, but somehow I assumed that GB's rules on the matter were more lenient. Weird... Sorry about spreading misinformation.