• 0 results
#1 Edited by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

I've bought and enjoyed a lot of games because of Giant Bomb content, Persona 4 was a hit with loads of people before the Endurance Run but was made extremely popular by members during the ER, people signed up for MxO, Star Trek Online was bought by a lot of people just because of the "Set Phasers to FUN" videos (I was one) Deadly Premonition became a top seller on Amazon. 

I and many others have bought games just because of Giant Bomb content, what have you bought? 

StarCraft 2 is on the way, just because of Giant Bomb.

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

DP did not become top seller just because of the ER. It got it because of how "bad" the game got via word of mouth. 

#3 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

I think I've only bought Deadly Premonition because of Giant Bomb. Almost bought Persona 4, but never pulled the trigger. 

Damn you Giant Bomb and your internet mind control drugs.

#4 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" DP did not become top seller just because of the ER. It got it because of how "bad" the game got via word of mouth.  "
Yeah but Giant Bomb members bought it from there too.
#5 Posted by TheLawnWrangler (1656 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" I think I've only bought Deadly Premonition because of Giant Bomb. Almost bought Persona 4, but never pulled the trigger.  Damn you Giant Bomb and your internet mind control drugs. "
is.... is that a persona pun? 

i really, really, really want to buy Persona 4, that's all i know
#6 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -
@nofx4208: lol, if we were talking about P3, then yes it would be a Persona pun. I actually didn't even think about that though.
#7 Posted by cooljammer00 (1501 posts) -

I know that the week the ER started, the game shot up on Amazon.  Of course, Destructoid was quick to take the credit and mock GB.

#8 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

Giant Bomb is not influential enough to sell any games :P

#9 Posted by bonbolapti (1596 posts) -

I can't really think of any case where I've bought something because of Giantbomb. But their approach to stuff definitely helps with my decision.

#10 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Giant Bomb made me avoid Persona and DP like the god damn plague.

#11 Posted by sammccallum16 (51 posts) -

I bought P3FES by being directly influence by the P4 Endurance run. 

#12 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@sammccallum16 said:
" I bought P3FES by being directly influence by the P4 Endurance run.  "
Why? If you watched the Persona 4 run, then you would realise how awful it is. Terrible anime high school bullshit.
#13 Edited by Jeust (10454 posts) -

Sometimes i'm a bit influenced by the content on Giantbomb, but i never bought a game because of it.  

As is the case of Deadly Premonition. I was interested beforehand, and i'll probably get it. 

#14 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -

I bought Cryostasis because of the Quick Look if that means anything.

#15 Edited by animateria (3252 posts) -

I buy games despite the strong negativity from the Giant Bomb staff.

You know, stuff like Monster Hunter Tri, Demon's Souls, Etrian Odyssey III (I'm getting for sure), TvC... 

I bought No More Heroes 2 because of their QL though. (Of course it was what the game showed that convinced me but hey).

Overall I really don't give a damn what they say about the games. I'm here for the entertainment.

#16 Posted by Darko (114 posts) -

I was on the fence about Torchlight until I saw Brad's QuickLook of it, then I realized how much I needed another dungeon crawling loot fest in my life.

#17 Posted by glanesb (151 posts) -

I balme my psychotic state on GB because of the ER on DP....aint no BS....TY GB. LO L

#18 Posted by Rothbart (347 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" @sammccallum16 said:
Why? If you watched the Persona 4 run, then you would realise how awful it is. Terrible anime high school bullshit. "
Now tell us how you really feel about it... :p 
I bought Flotilla, Shatter, Indigo Prophecy, Deadly Premonition, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Dragon Age, No More Heroes 2 and SMT: Strange Journey because of my being influenced by the GB crew, and I haven't regretted a single purchase so far. This site gives great publicity where it's due!
#19 Posted by alternate (2679 posts) -

I always thought they should put an amazon affiliate link on every wiki page of games currently in print - a bit like IMDB do for movies.  An awful lot of ppl buy from Amazon and GB might as well get the 8-10% commission for nothing.

Screened do such a good job of selling Netflix streaming accounts too - they should be officially sponsored.

#20 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" @sammccallum16 said:
Why? If you watched the Persona 4 run, then you would realise how awful it is. Terrible anime high school bullshit. "
Yeah, your opinions are truly the correct ones and everyone should think the same as you because you're always right.

And I'm pretty sure that the point of these types of websites is to make you notice good games and bad ones and incite you to buy games or avoid them.  That's the point.  But I bought Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 after seeing a few episodes of the first Endurance Run.
#21 Posted by Atlas (2428 posts) -

- Stupidly bought Persona 4 because of Giant Bomb; didn't watch the ER, but heard really good things regardless, played maybe the first hour and haven't touched it since.
- The Giant Bomb love got me to buy Shadow Complex despite having never played a game like that before; played an hour or so and no more.
- Bought Condemned 2 because of Ryan's review. Haven't played it yet.
- Bought Ninjatown because of Brad's review. Did played that game and really enjoyed it.

Just a few examples off the top of my head.

#22 Posted by EVHKwick (452 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" @sammccallum16 said:
You're clearly the minority. Also: realize.

I bought both P3 FES and P4 after a couple of episodes of the ER. That, and P3 FES was incredibly cheap at the time. I've sunk just about 100 hours into P3 and have yet to finish P4. Both great purchases.
#23 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

I haven't bought anything because of them. I'm not a follower. I'm my own person. The only thing that I have bought that has nothing to do with Giant Bomb was Persona 4. I bought that before the ER.

#24 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" DP did not become top seller just because of the ER. It got it because of how "bad" the game got via word of mouth.  "
And because it was/is on sale for like $15...
#25 Posted by HypoXenophobia (1045 posts) -

I wouldn't say they sell, but they influence. I would say their enthusiasm towards some games make me consider shelling out money when I know damn well I don't have it. Like, last year, their love for Trash Panic pushed me to getting it.

#26 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

I bought Persona 3 because of the Persona 4 endurance run which lead to me getting Persona 4 itself and a bunch of other Shin Megami Tensei games I would have other wise never bought. I was already planning on buying Red Seeds Profile but decided to go with Deadly Premonition (same game) so GB's claim on that one is a bit iffy. But I also got 3D Dot Game Heroes because of GB and Demon Souls but that was because of users rather then staff. Oh and I caved on Starcraft 2 which was in conjunction with Brad and other sources so they played a small hand in that purchase too.

#27 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" I haven't bought anything because of them. I'm not a follower. I'm my own person. The only thing that I have bought that has nothing to do with Giant Bomb was Persona 4. I bought that before the ER. "
You might want to rephrase that.

And it's not being a "follower" to buy a game because of content you've seen on the website.  If the site brings to my attention a game that looks very interesting with Quick Looks and such, I'll look more into it and maybe decide to purchase it.  Their "Ask Me Anything" of Ghost Trick has made me very excited for the game, a game that I might not have noticed as much if it wasn't for that video.
#28 Posted by MKSKILLZ16 (130 posts) -

I can say that I got back into fighting games because of this web site, as well as buying a PS3.

#29 Posted by LiquidS (971 posts) -

During the last TNT I bought SC2 even though I'm not a huge fan of RTS games but have been really enjoying the game so far.
#30 Posted by Fearbeard (823 posts) -

I actually bought Nier after seeing it on here....   (and it was on sale for $45 at k-mart)

The quick looks have helped give me an impression of how some games actually play, and are some of the most useful videos for me when deciding on a game or not.  Even if the GB crew isn't particularly wild about a game, it might still be appealing to me.

#31 Posted by RobotHamster (4170 posts) -

I bought DP because of GIantbomb but thats about it.

#32 Posted by FireSketch (827 posts) -
@alternate: Yeah, that would be a really effective way to make money.
#33 Posted by sammccallum16 (51 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" @sammccallum16 said:
P3 is way different 
Fools get shot in the head and all sorts :)
#34 Posted by CandleJakk (766 posts) -

I highly doubt StarCraft II is going to shift many more copies because of the Giant Bomb coverage - it was too huge a release for there to be any real impact.

@hack745: Wrong, it is realise - here where we speak proper English, at any rate.

#35 Posted by DystopiaX (5291 posts) -

Nothing really. I really want SC2 because of the livestream and TNT, but I think i would have gotten it eventually anyway.

#36 Posted by smudo (150 posts) -

Got Deadly Premonition, Persona 4, and Mass Effect 2 because of Giant Bomb. 

I hated the first Mass Effect, but I gave ME2 a shot after I heard all the good things said about it the Bombcast. Really glad I did.

#37 Edited by JackSukeru (5898 posts) -

I guess you could say I bought P4 because of the Endurance Run. I didn't watch it at first because I had bought P3 a little while back and had yet to play it. I thought that if I played through it and liked it I might someday want to play Persona 4 so I didn't want to spoil myself on anything. 

But after being bored one day I started watching it and loved what I saw (I had no previous experience with the persona or megaten games since I had yet to play P3). After some time watching I had bought it and played up to the part they V&J were at. I took regular breaks, sometimes letting them catch up, sometimes going ahead until the next-to-last dungeon were I just went ahead and finished the entire game. 

Persona 3 was stuck in my pile of shame up until only recently, because I had thought of picking up P3P. I changed my mind when I saw it though and started to play regular Persona 3 just a few days ago, might change my mind back and get the PsP version if I get too hung up on the lack of party control. I mean if the three birds are weak against piercing damage you don't just shoot down two of them, damnit Yukari!

#38 Posted by Hailinel (23694 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" @sammccallum16 said:
LOOK AT ME BEING ALL COOL BECAUSE I'M HATING SOMETHING.
#39 Posted by MKHavoc (1306 posts) -

I never would have played Nuts and Bolts if it weren't for the Giant Bomb review.  I didn't own an N64 so I had no history with the series or any anticipation for the then upcoming game.  I ended up liking it a whole lot.  

#40 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Nope Giantbomb has never influenced a purchasing decision of mine.

#41 Posted by Nux (2294 posts) -

I bought a few games after watching/reading about them on giantbomb. Infact the only reason I own DP is because of the endurance run ( I really wanted give it to my friend as a joke birthday gift but that went bad). But yeah I think for some people along with myself  giantbomb helps sell games.
#42 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
" @sammccallum16 said:
LOOK AT ME BEING ALL COOL BECAUSE I'M HATING SOMETHING. "
Don't feed the troll.
#43 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Lets see borderlands,p4,50cent bots. All giantbomb pushed sales. However all awesome!

#44 Posted by sgjackson (527 posts) -

They sold me on P4, amusingly enough because I thought it was a well-done take on what makes "Japanese high school bullshit" interesting without a lot of the tropes that make it boring and creepy.

#45 Posted by Ravenousrattler (1417 posts) -

I've bought a few games i wouldn't  have without giantbomb, they get deep enough into games that you can see if it clicks with you.

#46 Posted by FireBurger (1479 posts) -

Bought P4. Never played it.

#47 Posted by RecSpec (3754 posts) -

Giant Bomb makes me want to get into a lot of PC games.

#48 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

The clincher on me buying Limbo was Brad liking it and I wasn't disappointed.

#49 Posted by PercyChuggs (1087 posts) -

Yes, StarCraft 2 is selling because of Giant Bomb. 

Sarcasm.

#50 Posted by Landon (4127 posts) -
@sammccallum16 said:
Me too. But it was the first P3. I wanted to see if I liked it and I did. I have bought FES now, though I haven't beat it...