#1 Posted by Legion_ (1282 posts) -

Hey guys. I've been out of the loop a while after a tour overseas.

Can you fill me in on the status of the crew?

Who's in San Fran? New York? Chicago? New hires?

Thanks!

#2 Posted by Achaemenid (92 posts) -

San Francisco: Jeff, Brad, Drew, Rorie, Alexis

New York: Vinny, Alex

Chicago: Patrick

New Hires: One editor for San Francisco and one video producer in San Francisco with plans to bring on more later on.

#3 Posted by Legion_ (1282 posts) -
#4 Posted by Achaemenid (92 posts) -

@legion_: Jeff has stated that he already knows who he's going to hire and it's all locked down, but he hasn't told anyone yet. The evidence so far seems to point to Dan Ryckert but nothing has been confirmed.

#5 Edited by BIGJEFFREY (5028 posts) -

#Believe

#6 Posted by Superfriend (1553 posts) -

Things at GB move at a slow pace. Expect one of the new hires to be introduced in about a month- or by the end of the year.

#7 Posted by DeathByWaffle (636 posts) -

@superfriend:

I could be wrong but I remember watching some GB stream a couple weeks ago where Jeff said he'd have hiring stuff to announce in the next month or so. I hope I'm remembering that correctly, because I'd really like them to hire someone sooner rather than later.

#8 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5490 posts) -

I'm thinking we'll see who the new hires are near the end of summer.

#9 Posted by pyrodactyl (2029 posts) -

@legion_ said:

Hey guys. I've been out of the loop a while after a tour overseas.

Can you fill me in on the status of the crew?

Who's in San Fran? New York? Chicago? New hires?

Thanks!

If you listen to the latest powerbombcast it's pretty clear the new editor is dan rycker

#10 Edited by csl316 (8665 posts) -

New editor supposedly starts at the end of the month.

Since Dan Ryckert says he's starting his new thing at the end of the month, there was a giant conspiracy thread.

#11 Posted by Sterling (2282 posts) -

Are they hiring anyone to help out in NY? I'm more curious about what those guys are going to be doing there than the new hires in SF honestly.

#12 Posted by Veektarius (4825 posts) -

@bigjeffrey: I wish that image would stop circulating for John Drake. it makes me ill.

#13 Posted by Demoskinos (14826 posts) -

Gonna be super pumped if it is Ryckert. Although I'm almost thinking they might be trolling us. Remember guys Ryckert at heart is a bit of a prankster.

#14 Edited by Mister_V (1285 posts) -

Gonna be super pumped if it is Ryckert. Although I'm almost thinking they might be trolling us. Remember guys Ryckert at heart is a bit of a prankster.

Yeah i guess. But remember when everyone thought it was Jared Rosen Jeff eventually hinted that it wasn't him. I kind of feel like they have let us think it's Dan for so long now people with be genuinely pissed if it isn't him. I mean a bunch of GB people suddenly started following him on twitter after he left GI and Dan has also started posting on these forums.... I mean if they are fucking with us they are really committed to the joke.

#15 Posted by BonOrbitz (2193 posts) -

I don't know much about Dan Ryckert, but was thinking that Shawn Elliot from the ol' Computer Gaming World magazine and CGW Radio: the Brodio (then onto Irrational Games) would make a great edition because he's got such a great sense of humor and is a pretty smart guy (and if they couldn't get Jeff Green). I don't know if Elliot has any connections to Jeff and the gang, but it would have been interesting to see how they gel.

#16 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5490 posts) -

So, I was listening to some E3 podcasts of yesteryear and happened upon this bit with one Dan Ryckert.

#17 Posted by villainy (558 posts) -

@mister_v said:

@demoskinos said:

Yeah i guess. But remember when everyone thought it was Jared Rosen Jeff eventually hinted that it wasn't him. I kind of feel like they have let us think it's Dan for so long now people with be genuinely pissed if it isn't him. I mean a bunch of GB people suddenly started following him on twitter after he left GI and Dan has also started posting on these forums.... I mean if they are fucking with us they are really committed to the joke.

I would also feel really bad for whoever the new hire is if it's not Dan. They'd be torn apart by irate forum members... even more than new staff usually are.

#18 Edited by DavidMerrick (79 posts) -

If it is Dan, good on him. I haven't seen a lot of his work, but his stuff on the Bombcast has been thoroughly funny. But after seeing some of Elizabeth's Simins' tweets on the E3 Bombcasts, I really hope at least one of the new hires isn't another white dude. Patrick addressed this on his Tumblr today, but with the crew having admitted in the past that the site could use a little more diversity I would actually groan if they didn't follow through on that.

#19 Edited by conmulligan (487 posts) -

If it is Dan, good on him. I haven't seen a lot of his work, but his stuff on the Bombcast has been thoroughly funny. But after seeing some of Elizabeth's Simins' tweets on the E3 Bombcasts, I really hope at least one of the new hires isn't another white dude. Patrick addressed this on his Tumblr today, but with the crew having admitted in the past that the site could use a little more diversity I would actually groan if they didn't follow through on that.

Yep.

#20 Posted by Ramone (2966 posts) -

I thought the buzz was that the new hire was Cara Ellison or have I just pulled that from my arse?

#21 Posted by CastroCasper (1301 posts) -

Wasn't there someone on twitter (I am terrible with names) who said he had been hired on to work (only) E3 for GB? Has that stuff came out yet?

#22 Posted by Nodima (1202 posts) -

@kurtdyoung I think that was Zac Minor, former video editor for Rev3 Games.

#23 Posted by Demoskinos (14826 posts) -

@ramone: There have been people throwing around her name as someone they would like to see hired in the forum discussions but Pretty sure that she isnt the hire.

#24 Posted by Nomin (977 posts) -

If it is Ryckert, he is from a long line of Dutch immigrants (along with Danny being Irish and Vinny being Italian) possibly so while it is a small step, it is a step in the right direction.

#25 Edited by liquidsnakegfer9 (150 posts) -

Just listened to that powerbombcast, and I feel like if Jeff wasn't hiring Dan and he is not in fact trolling us, then he wouldn't have done this teasing stuff on tumblr, twitter, the podcast, etc and he would've just ignored the rumors.

#26 Posted by Seikenfreak (423 posts) -

But after seeing some of Elizabeth's Simins' tweets on the E3 Bombcasts, I really hope at least one of the new hires isn't another white dude. Patrick addressed this on his Tumblr today, but with the crew having admitted in the past that the site could use a little more diversity I would actually groan if they didn't follow through on that.

Ugh. I thought that tweet stuff was a little cringe worthy. I hate this whole attitude people have that we have to force the diversity. It's like when you see every commercial and they always have a mix of white guy, black girl, asian guy, old mexican woman or some other carefully calculated mix. It's like Captain Planet and the Planeteers.

Get whoever fits for the E3 broadcasts or job or whatever. Don't hire a black guy for the sake of hiring a black guy like its some check box.

"Oh we have to hit our multi-cultural and gender quota" "I think it would really spice things up around the place if we had a paraplegic"

Do whatever. Hire whoever is the best fit and is available. If they think Dan is more qualified and potentially more funny/better chemistry with the crew than someone else, then go for it.

Sorry, been holding that in all day after reading Patrick's blog thing.

#27 Posted by leebmx (2244 posts) -
#28 Posted by DavidMerrick (79 posts) -

@davidmerrick said:

But after seeing some of Elizabeth's Simins' tweets on the E3 Bombcasts, I really hope at least one of the new hires isn't another white dude. Patrick addressed this on his Tumblr today, but with the crew having admitted in the past that the site could use a little more diversity I would actually groan if they didn't follow through on that.

Ugh. I thought that tweet stuff was a little cringe worthy. I hate this whole attitude people have that we have to force the diversity. It's like when you see every commercial and they always have a mix of white guy, black girl, asian guy, old mexican woman or some other carefully calculated mix. It's like Captain Planet and the Planeteers.

Get whoever fits for the E3 broadcasts or job or whatever. Don't hire a black guy for the sake of hiring a black guy like its some check box.

"Oh we have to hit our multi-cultural and gender quota" "I think it would really spice things up around the place if we had a paraplegic"

Do whatever. Hire whoever is the best fit and is available. If they think Dan is more qualified and potentially more funny/better chemistry with the crew than someone else, then go for it.

Perhaps it feels that way to you, but to Simins and quite a few other female games writers it's not about meeting quotas, it's about wanting to be part of a conversation they're normally excluded from by default.

#29 Posted by smcn (926 posts) -

@sterling said:

Are they hiring anyone to help out in NY? I'm more curious about what those guys are going to be doing there than the new hires in SF honestly.

They haven't mentioned it, but they definitely will hire more people for GBEast.

There are quite a few benefits to having a second office based on the east coast. Most importantly is parallelization, which Vinny talked about in his last appearance on the Bombcast. There's a physical limit to the amount of content they can push out from a single office. By adding another office they can effectively double their output.

As for why this required Vinny to move, I imagine it didn't. Since they'd need a second producer for parallelization to work, it was either hire one out of the east coast or hire one for SF and have Vinny move; the latter, according to his own words on the subject, would benefit him personally so he likely volunteered.

Another benefit is scheduling. If I recall this was one of the reasons Patrick moved to Chicago, to make it easier to keep in touch with contacts further east for interviews and such.

In other words, there's most definitely a method to this madness.

#30 Posted by Mister_V (1285 posts) -

Can we please just have one of these threads that sticks to light hearted speculation rather than devolving into a pissing match about gender equality and the representation of minority's in games media.

Please?

#31 Posted by smcn (926 posts) -

@mister_v said:

Can we please just have one of these threads that sticks to light hearted speculation rather than devolving into a pissing match about gender equality and the representation of minority's in games media.

Please?

Calling attention to it will surely help.

#32 Posted by DavidMerrick (79 posts) -

While I disagree with Mister V's use of the term "pissing match," I realize now that this was the wrong thread to bring the topic up, and I'm sorry for derailing it.

#33 Posted by Mister_V (1285 posts) -

@davidmerrick: Yeah that was probably the wrong term to use, and my post wasn't directly aimed at you. But these topics seem to decend like this on a fairly frequent basis. And it never ends well.

#34 Edited by SSully (4185 posts) -

@davidmerrick said:

I think your opinion is respectable, but I think Patrick addresses that with his Rolodex comparison. The reason the show had the guests it did is because Patrick went to the people he knew best, and those people happen to be white men. It also happens to be the easiest route. You are right that whoever fits in for the shows should be invited, but there are a lot of interesting people in this world. There are a lot of interesting people in the games industry. Giantbombs e3 show's are always so damn great because they get people from all different parts of the industry to talk about games. By continuing to do this while also getting a different variety of people(be it race, gender, or profession), I think the shows will only improve.

#35 Posted by Stonyman65 (2704 posts) -

Can't we just get Carrie Gouskos on board here at Giant Bomb so all of this diversity stuff ends? It's getting ridiculous now.

#36 Posted by Stonyman65 (2704 posts) -

@ssully said:

@seikenfreak said:

@davidmerrick said:

I think your opinion is respectable, but I think Patrick addresses that with his Rolodex comparison. The reason the show had the guests it did is because Patrick went to the people he knew best, and those people happen to be white men. It also happens to be the easiest route. You are right that whoever fits in for the shows should be invited, but there are a lot of interesting people in this world. There are a lot of interesting people in the games industry. Giantbombs e3 show's are always so damn great because they get people from all different parts of the industry to talk about games. By continuing to do this while also getting a different variety of people(be it race, gender, or profession), I think the shows will only improve.

I understand that, but when most of the people in the industry happen to be white men, you're kind of limited. Like said above, you can't force diversity. It has to happen naturally.

This whole attitude of "this race/gender/religion/political affiliation/sexual preference wasn't included SO EVERYTHING IS RACIST AND BIGOTED!" is getting so ridiculous now.

#37 Edited by Seikenfreak (423 posts) -
@ssully said:

The issue I see is that the E3 Bombcasts are so awesome and there are so many people that have interesting things to say, but even with 3-4 hours for four nights, it's no where near enough. It's 4-6 guests for an hour. It's insane. You put less people in and then we miss out on either regular beloved guests or new people. Or you put in more guests and someone is leading the conversation and taking up all the air time or people are yelling over each other etc.

It's so frustrating because these sort of group discussions should be a more regular thing. Giant Bomb has a way of creating these seemingly casual fun environments for people to be themselves and voice their opinion.

It's great hearing Geoff's thoughts on the industry or whatever.. He's like the Ryan Seacrest of video game media. It's interesting hearing Tina give her take on games or whatever, not because she's a girl, but because she seems like another cool ass person. And I'm fascinated hearing the, typically, behind-the-scenes programmers or engineers or whatever talking about all the nerdy in's and out's of either console.

All these people need their own chunk of time on Giant Bomb more than once a year. Make it happen!

Sorry. I don't know if this is relevant to the thread anymore.. Nothing really to say about thread topic except maybe it's Dan Rykert and if it's not.. oh man people are going to go nuts lol

#38 Posted by ToTheNines (721 posts) -

@davidmerrick said:

Yep.

Nope, I'd be perfectly happy if it's just the right white dude.

#39 Edited by MikeHawk (382 posts) -

@stonyman65: This makes sense to me. Eventually, things like this just even out on their own. It's like the concept of white rappers. While I'm not a scholar on the history of rap, most early rap appears to be made by black men who weren't so concerned about being "forward thinking" and "open-minded." Eventually, enough white people began to enjoy black rappers that a few of these fans then went on to have successful rap careers and draw more white people into rap. Now in 2014, Iggy Azalea (a white Australian woman) can have a #1 rap hit and someone like RiFF RAFF can exist.

If people are so concerned about not having enough equality in video games and the gaming press, introduce your friends of that minority to the games industry and show them that there are games that they will like. My girlfriend (who rarely plays games) is really into art and design, so I showed her Tearaway and by the end of the week, she was begging me to bring my Vita over to her house so she could play it. If a few minorities enjoy a culture dominated by white men, eventually people from these minorities will show up in the industry (like they are right now) and inspire more people of minorities to become programmers, journalists, gamers, etc.

That's just my opinion. It seems like a more productive way to go about it than burning everyone at the stake who unintentionally offends you.

At the end of the day, I want Jeff and Giant Bomb to hire people who mesh well with them, whether that's Dan Rykert, Carrie Gouskos or my adopted black lesbian second cousin (That's not a joke, she really exists.)

#40 Posted by Stonyman65 (2704 posts) -
#41 Edited by audioBusting (1535 posts) -

I think I saw Dan Ryckert tweeting that he starts on his new job on June 30, so I'm expecting him to do some sort of surprise entrance on the July 1st Bombcast (if he did get hired by GB).

#42 Posted by Legion_ (1282 posts) -

@davidmerrick: in my opinion, that's silly. It just reminds me of gender quotas and stuff. If they fit, they fit. I don't think anyone in their right mind can accuse gb of being racist.

#43 Edited by Fattony12000 (7409 posts) -

I still think it'll be Riff Raff.

#44 Posted by Abendlaender (2804 posts) -

@tothenines:

Yep, they should hire who they think is best for the job. That's how life works. I worked with a woman who only got her job cause of some quota that the company had to meet. She was really nice and pretty fantastic at what she did (earned a lot too) but when she somehow found out why exactly she was hired in the first place she immediately quit, reasoning that she doesn't want to get a job cause she's a woman but cause she's the best around (which she actually was).

#45 Posted by cooljammer00 (1729 posts) -

Why would GB guys following Dan Ryckert on Twitter be a hint that he's the new hire? Aren't they all friends and followers of him already?

I don't know if Dan Ryckert would be the best guy for the job, especially after the whole diversity talk, but I kinda feel like Jeff and Dan are trolling and it's not actually Dan as the new hire.

#46 Posted by SharkEthic (1049 posts) -
@mister_v said:

Please?

Apparently not. It's exhausting.

#47 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5007 posts) -

Can't we just get Carrie Gouskos on board here at Giant Bomb so all of this diversity stuff ends? It's getting ridiculous now.

Deal!

#48 Posted by Castiel (2616 posts) -

The gun is good. The Penis is evil.

#49 Posted by Branwulf (406 posts) -

Pretty sure it's Dan which is good, it's really taken too long to get new people in.