• 187 results
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By spacetrucking

Yeah, yeah...you've probably already guessed what this is about. But I need to air my concerns somewhere because I like Giant Bomb. Okay, here it goes.

THEN 

Until a few months ago, Giant Bomb had a policy I liked. A policy of NOT mirroring news feeds like Kotaku, Joystiq et al. The staff shuffled through all the junk copy/paste rumors & stories to give me only the important stuff. The front page was filled with only the most essential stories like an announcement of a major title or dudes playing SMB with dancepads. This made GB an interesting, distilled source of gaming info. At the end of each day on the front page, in between the 2-3 news stories, I would find a host of original content like previews, quick looks, etc. And then there was the humor & personality that made GB's news posts worth checking out, even if I had no interest in that game.  

The end result was I used to read almost every post on the GB main page. I stopped going to the puntastic GameSpot News page - my previous source of gaming info.

NOW

Since hiring a couple of extra hands, GB's front page has roughly 10-15 news stories in a day. The part that leaves a sour taste is they are essentially copies of news I can find on other gaming sites - who sometimes post it a couple of days before them. The quality of writing is...adequate. The staff is still producing original content at roughly the same pace but the problem is that it's now buried under all the filler stories. I missed more than half of the quick looks and previews in the last few months because they weren't on the front page when I visited the site. And I can't dig around for content I don't know about. 

The end result of this ? I went back to GameSpot as my primary source of gaming info. I unsubscribed from the GB RSS feed for now, since it's doing everything in one feed, making it inefficient and borderline spammy at times. And I stopped clicking on news on the front page, unless I haven't heard of it yet (which rarely happens since GameSpot is invariably quicker in covering these stories).

Suggestion

I understand GB's need for traffic and 'click throughs'. It's a business after all. But please don't do it to a degree that it starts to drown out your own content. Come up with a better site layout if you must. Make it so I can filter news stories better. Or create a separate section for news. Or just be more judicious with what you put on the front page. The top feature section isn't getting the job done.  

How about letting us track games, like we track users ? That way I get the news I want and you can keep pumping out as many stories as you like about stuff I don't want. Kotaku does it with hashtags, which is really cumbersome & inefficient (and the reason I never go there). GB already has the infrastructure to come up with a more refined solution. Please do something! 

TL;DR - Dave hates me and is probably singing: 

Late laaaate addendum: GB could use something simple like this to begin with: 

No Caption Provided
You want your news ? You got it. And I can sort straight to the features I want. 
lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By lemon360

Agreed.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By sixghost

Agreed. I've virtually stopped reading the news articles on the homepage and just go straight to the video page these days.
EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EVHKwick

You're complaining that the new guy that frees up the staff to do other projects is putting out too much content?

The stories aren't the first to break. Big deal. I didn't realize video game news was so time sensitive.

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mrnitropb

Also, Kessler is still writing them.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@hack745 said:
" You're complaining that the new guy that frees up the staff to do other projects is putting out too much content?  The stories aren't the first to break. Big deal. I didn't realize video game news was so time sensitive. "
vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#7  Edited By vager

I also agree. There must be a better way to sort between original content and the regular news and trailers. 

mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By mau64

I don't see why them covering more news is such a bad thing. There is also a video tab at the top that keeps track of all quicklooks. You unsubscribed because they are giving us readers more options to stay here and to not have to go to other sites to get news? You essentially just explained that because you don't want to have to click a couple things you would rather just not read this site at all. Wow, people are really getting lazy.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Grissefar

I like the idea to seperate the Giantbomb produced stuff from the news. I don't like to see a Quick Look drown after a few hours because news stories kick it out.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Djeffers03

Meh, my opinion differs. I personally like the new influx of content as opposed to having nothing to read for two days straight. 

Edit: And after looking at the most recent news stories how the hell are they borderline spam? Lets run through the stories: New Deathspank game, Torchlight coming to consoles, Neverwinter release, Fallout ending info (this is a BIG deal to people going to buy the game), Crackdown 2 DLC, L4D DLC, and I can't be fucked to write the rest...

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#11  Edited By Jazz

Compared to other...certain websites, the news section here is actually incredibly good. 
Practically no flame bait...it really is incredible.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By nickux

The one thing I feel like we're forgetting is that commenting and discussing news stories on GB is far better than other sites. So if I see the same story here as I do on Kotaku, etc. I'm more inclined to comment because the community here is more fun to engage. 

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BraveToaster
Have fun at Gamespot!
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@hack745 said:

" You're complaining that the new guy that frees up the staff to do other projects is putting out too much content?   "

i expect to see this comment a hundred more times and my god why dont the people repeating it like parrots actually READ what the OP said ? 
he doesnt mind the news much, they're here for whoever is interested,  
he, however, is NOT. and Giantbomb, as we all agree, is a really unique site with amazingly entertaining content from the main 5 staff members. when the spammy news smother that original content that we're here for, then there's a problem isnt there? 

You enjoying the new brad news? thats FINE. we LOVE that you're enjoying that shit, but a big part of the community is here for what Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Vinny and Dave give us, and we'd like to be able to filter the news so that we can get the latter content, while you get the former. 

I swear that we're gonna get 50 more comments going "you're bitching about the new guys helping the staff out and giving them the chance to work on other projects ? JEFF HIRED THOSE GUYS, STOP CRYING" 
or something like "if you dont like the news DONT CHECK OUT THE FRONT PAGE" 

Please try to understand what the problem is. I love the new brad, i wanna blow him, but i'd like his shit to stay separate from the MAIN reason im on here, which is the awesome stuff the staff posts. videos and articles so unique and entertaining that we ditched everything else for them. 

Hey, Killjoi, stop fucking bitching about the new guy !!!  (sarcasm)
TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By TwoLines

So there's TOO MUCH content now? You'll never be happy, will you?

JusticeReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By JusticeReturns

agreed, brad nicholson and kessler are really, really bad.

they just cover pointless news stories and try to rip off the gb crews style, but they completely fail

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mrnitropb
@nickux said:
" The one thing I feel like we're forgetting is that commenting and discussing news stories on GB is far better than other sites. So if I see the same story here as I do on Kotaku, etc. I'm more inclined to comment because the community here is more fun to engage.  "
And you are far, far less likely to get banned for calling the article writer an asspirate, than you would at Kotaku.
Dirty_Harry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dirty_Harry

Man, that song caught on quick..

benjamimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By benjamimmy
@Djeffers03 said:
" Meh, my opinion differs. I personally like the new influx of content as opposed to having nothing to read for two days straight. "
I agree with this.
Sure videos get shoved off after a little while but like someone else said, there IS a video tab at the top of the page...lazy...lol
stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By stonyman65
@lemon360 said:
" Agreed. "
Prolix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Prolix
@Axxol said:
" Have fun at Gamespot! "
Ha.  This is Gamespot now guy.   Actually, considering GB's content.  Gamespot is better.

I completely agree with op.  All GB does is poach other real site's news and put a stoner dress on it, while acting like they know wtf they are talking about.  Because they are in the biz? Right?  

Giant Bomb is the Carlos Mencia of gaming new sites.  

No Caption Provided
Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gav47

I thought this was going to be about a PSP video.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By JJWeatherman

Way to go actually providing some ideas to fix the issue. I think the ability to filter news--by author even--could be interesting. 

That said though, Giant Bomb is the only gaming site I visit on a regular basis. Due to that being the case, more news is always good news in my eyes.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By scarace360

o god here we go.

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gregomasta
@Dirty_Harry:  Dude, that song is great

I agree with the OP, though I still prefer GB, even with the new Brad and Kessler giving me bits and pieces of news that I can find anywhere else.  And I don't hate their articles as well, but I remember the golden days of all original content, but I enjoy seeing lots of new stories on the front page.  Gotta take the good with the bad I say.
EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EVHKwick
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @hack745 said:

" You're complaining that the new guy that frees up the staff to do other projects is putting out too much content?   "

i expect to see this comment a hundred more times and my god why dont the people repeating it like parrots actually READ what the OP said ? he doesnt mind the news much, they're here for whoever is interested,  he, however, is NOT. and Giantbomb, as we all agree, is a really unique site with amazingly entertaining content from the main 5 staff members. when the spammy news smother that original content that we're here for, then there's a problem isnt there?  You enjoying the new brad news? thats FINE. we LOVE that you're enjoying that shit, but a big part of the community is here for what Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Vinny and Dave give us, and we'd like to be able to filter the news so that we can get the latter content, while you get the former.  I swear that we're gonna get 50 more comments going "you're bitching about the new guys helping the staff out and giving them the chance to work on other projects ? JEFF HIRED THOSE GUYS, STOP CRYING" or something like "if you dont like the news DONT CHECK OUT THE FRONT PAGE"  Please try to understand what the problem is. I love the new brad, i wanna blow him, but i'd like his shit to stay separate from the MAIN reason im on here, which is the awesome stuff the staff posts. videos and articles so unique and entertaining that we ditched everything else for them.  Hey, Killjoi, stop fucking bitching about the new guy !!!  (sarcasm) "
As of this post, there is still a post from Friday on the front page, and both videos posted today are still within the news feed, not to mention Jeff's review of K&L2 from last Tuesday is still there to look at on first glance of the site. What content, exactly, is getting shoved aside? Since the main staff seems to focus mostly on video content as of late, all available on the front page the day of its creation, it seems you should just skip over the news feed. 

The site is getting more new visitors (including myself), and a lot of them are probably trying to make GB their one stop for gaming-related media. That's what I do. To me, GB is great video content from the original staff and news from more-than-competent reporters. But, yes, let's separate the content because we don't like change. The only thing that should be added, if anything, is a option to search the site for content posted by specific people accessible through through the top search bar. Nothing should change about the front page; it's fine for the majority of the users of the site. Those that need special treatment from their gaming news website have to work a little harder. Cry more.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Prolix said:
" Giant Bomb is the Carlos Mencia of gaming new sites.  

No Caption Provided
"
ouch baby.. very ouch.
Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Goldanas

Generally, I've always preferred forums to get me my news. Forums are lightening fast for this sort of thing, and work wonders for discussion. I've never liked the way news is posted on any video game website. It's always fraught with a ton of "humorous" prose that you can tell was painstakingly labored over for an hour or two. It's always a giant article with nothing but filler, trying to make a full article out of maybe 3 bits of info and an image. 

If news was simply the scant few tidbits released in bullet-point form, whatever pictures were given to the press at the time, and a source, I'd read it and comment more often. News is a subject of discussion, not something to spin a tale about.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By cookiemonster

Totally agree with OP. A re-design is in order! A way to filter news by author would be nice too, but I doubt thats going to happen.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Doctorchimp

A very simple fix is to separate the Staff stuff and the news stuff. 

Just make the Staff articles Editorials, since that's more of what they are. That way if you don't go to other sites you can go to News and see Nicholson and Kessler do releases and leaks and stuff like that. 

But if you wanna see what Jeff has to say about Mortal Kombat when it got announced, or what Ryan wants to say about Rock Band 3 complete set list, etc. etc. Vinny talk about Catherine (WHERE IS THAT?) it'll be in Editorials 

Then again all this stuff is usually in the bombcast which is why you probably don't see more of it, since they figure it's too much overlap and they wanna do other stuff. 

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Gaff
@Killjoi: I haven't been here for long, but as I understand it, the "Topics from your favourite forums" bit is completely editable. Since news stories concerning any game that interests you is posted in the respective forum (say Fallout 3 news, that goes into the Fallout 3 forum). I'm guessing the forum preferences you can select also affect that front page section? 

@Ahmad_Metallic: I can't get the activity feeds to work on individual users pages (has that ever worked?) but that handy dandy RSS feed icon should be a helpful hint to anyone who wants to follow just the "main guys".
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@TwoLines said:
" So there's TOO MUCH content now? You'll never be happy, will you? "
Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Liam_mk

I like going to a site and learning whats up and being entertained, instead of being entertained and then going to another site to learn. 

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sixghost
@TwoLines said:
"So there's TOO MUCH content now? You'll never be happy, will you? "

Reposted stories from other sites with a 1 paragraph reaction are not what I consider content.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jimbo

OP is right.  Some kind of quality control on the news wouldn't go amiss.  The decent content is getting buried under piles of shit, which was expressly what Giant Bomb wasn't going to do at one stage.  Last week there was a story about Respawn not working on something, and a story about that Carmine poll not having a result yet.  This isn't news in a slow week, let alone whilst GamesCom is going on.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Doctorchimp
@Prolix said:
" @Axxol said:
" Have fun at Gamespot! "
Ha.  This is Gamespot now guy.   Actually, considering GB's content.  Gamespot is better.

I completely agree with op.  All GB does is poach other real site's news and put a stoner dress on it, while acting like they know wtf they are talking about.  Because they are in the biz? Right?  

Giant Bomb is the Carlos Mencia of gaming new sites.  

No Caption Provided
"
News is probably one of the last things they care about, so saying that's all they are is kind of...wrong....
TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TwoLines
@sixghost said:
" @TwoLines said:
"So there's TOO MUCH content now? You'll never be happy, will you? "
Reposted stories from other sites with a 1 paragraph reaction are not what I consider content. "
I do. I don't visit other sites.
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By luce
@Gav47 said:
" I thought this was going to be about a PSP video. "
Me too :(

I was looking forward to bitching about Marcus
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Doctorchimp
@Jimbo: God yes I forgot all about that, 

What the fuck was that Respawn story about? I understand they like MW2, but fucking christ, it's gonna be a shooter and it'll probably be fun to play..  

There are other interesting stories.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41  Edited By Cube

Remember when Jeff said video game news had gotten stale? Yeah, me neither.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LiquidPrince

Usually I would get angry at these posts because they were singling out the new staff and calling their writing styles bad, but this was straight to the point and I actually agree. The reason I love Giantbomb, is because the love the same games I like, and I never had to filter through anything. Even games that weren't my style became my style, because the staff made them seem interesting. Now I rarely read through anything, just because there is so much stuff I don't care about.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NoXious
@Killjoi:
What about people like me - who could care less about any other website?
I don't like your idea one bit.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By ajamafalous

I cannot possibly explain with words how much I agree with this.

Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jared

Agreed. Myself and several friends who visit the site daily find it difficult to locate original content by the staff at times due to everything being in just one list on the homepage. Just the other night we were trying to find an older mail-bag video and it was a pain, it shouldn't be the hard. Personally, I think the front page needs to be revamped, a new's column and a dedicated exclusive GB content column would be nice. GB is an amazing website...about video games (haha)...but it's lack of organization is hurting it right now.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By Trilogy

You know you could always just filter content using your eyes and your brain. Maybe that's too difficult of a concept. I mean, if you hate sports games, don't read an article about sports games. I ignore most news and articles/other content that I don't care about so I don't really need a filter to do it for me.

Now if you want higher quality articles... then that's a different story. I wouldn't mind the staffs opinion on more things rather than just reposting the same stuff. It doesn't really matter to me either way since I come to this website for the bombcast, endurance run, quicklooks, tang, reviews, and any other video content with the staff speaking their mind formally or informally.

Also, why isn't this thread about the PSP.

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BionicMonster
@Mrnitropb said:
" Also, Kessler is still writing them. "
I kinda like the way Kessler writes stories.
Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Vorbis

You all seem suprised that GB are aiming their site at an audience that doesn't need to go to other sites, I find this suprising myself.  Why would they want you to go to other sites? surely it makes more sense for people to get their news on GB.

Yes I'm going to bring this up again, they are able to do alot more work now they don't have to keep writing news articles, you can say "stop saying that" all you like, but it's true. 

The news is staying, deal with it, they don't work 24/7, some news articles will be late because they don't work weekends, some news might be similar to your precious Kotaku because, here's the kicker; publishers send out the same press release to everyone, so no shit that stuff is going to be on other sites.

Now before you rage, I agree that the front page could do with some sorting, just some tags or something so I know if I'm clicking on a video, news, a write up, or a review. There has been times when a video is posted up on the front page, then an article goes up about that video, would much prefer to only have it up once.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By WickedCestus
@Trilogy said:
" You know you could always just filter content using your eyes and your brain. Maybe that's too difficult of a concept. I mean, if you hate sports games, don't read an article about sports games. I ignore most news and articles/other content that I don't care about so I don't really need a filter to do it for me.  Now if you want higher quality articles... then that's a different story. I wouldn't mind the staffs opinion on more things rather than just reposting the same stuff. It doesn't really matter to me either way since I come to this website for the bombcast, endurance run, quicklooks, tang, reviews, and any other video content with the staff speaking their mind formally or informally.  Also, why isn't this thread about the PSP. "
He wants to filter between the main staff (who post meaningful stuff) and the news guys. Since it doesn't show the author on the front page, he can't filter that with his eyes.
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#50  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I don't mind if they expand their news coverage, but I do think that there needs to be some restructuring of the front page to accommodate it. If some cool, unique article/video is posted early in the day and has been pushed out of the set of stories on the front page by the time I get home from work, I might never notice it unless someone points it out to me or I spot the comment thread in the forums.