• 74 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by arawk (183 posts) -

Hey what's up guys and gals. Just wondering if there are any fellow giant bombers that live in Japan. Here's hoping I'm not the only one!

#2 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3053 posts) -

Oh shiz you can go on raids 24/7.

#3 Posted by Winternet (8007 posts) -

What's that?

#4 Posted by believer258 (11673 posts) -

There are a few who do or did at one point but I can't remember any of them at the moment, though there are a few who speak Japanese.

Online
#5 Posted by Flacracker (1601 posts) -

I want to go to Japan so I can watch all the anime and get so much manga. All the Japanese girls will love me because I am the biggest fan of anime and manga. Anime has the best television shows ever, the Japanese are so awesome and I want to become them. The art in manga is the best I have ever seen.

Online
#6 Posted by sketch (194 posts) -

I lived and worked there for a little while
It was a fun time, but despite how pleasant all the people were I never really felt at home.

I think it was mostly because I didn't gel with their sense of humour.

#7 Posted by Eirikr (1006 posts) -

They exist and I am one!

Since coming here I've ironically done the least amount of gaming since before I was even equipped with the cognition to do so. StreetPassing nonwithstanding.

#8 Posted by Jothel (913 posts) -

I've been living here for a while, just outside Tokyo. love it!

#9 Edited by pornstorestiffi (4909 posts) -

@arawk: @Jothel: @Eirikr:

So what do you do in Japan? i´m guessing your there because its work related? or did you just get enough of your spawn location and had to relocate?

#10 Edited by Jothel (913 posts) -

@pornstorestiffi said:

@arawk: @Jothel: @Eirikr:

So what do you do in Japan? i´m guessing your there because its work related? or did you just get enough of your spawn location and had to relocate?

I'm a student here, so only here for one year sadly... May live here after university has finished though, my girlfriend is Japanese so you never know

#11 Edited by pornstorestiffi (4909 posts) -

@Jothel said:

@pornstorestiffi said:

@arawk: @Jothel: @Eirikr:

So what do you do in Japan? i´m guessing your there because its work related? or did you just get enough of your spawn location and had to relocate?

I'm a student here, so only here for one year sadly... May live here after university has finished though, my girlfriend is Japanese so you never know

Cool, did you have an initial culture shock when you got there.

#12 Posted by Worcanna (90 posts) -

Near Toshima here. Currently at a hospital XD

#13 Edited by Eirikr (1006 posts) -

@pornstorestiffi:I saw used panties for sale in a 5-story porn shop in Osaka! They're real! (haven't seen the vending machine ones...yet)

But yes, I'm here for work, teaching. I'd wanted to go to Japan since I was a wee lad, work in the States had been hard to come by since graduation, and I needed to assert myself by living independently. Conveniently killed all three birds with one stone.

It's very easy to live here, but you have to know what you're getting into. I'm not saying I'm a "Japan expert" by any means, but I was familiar enough with the culture that I didn't experience any culture shocks upon arrival. Not to say it still won't have plenty of surprises in store for you, obviously.

It's a recommended experience for those who have posed the thought. JET is far from the only option you have, though the smaller (and shitty) dispatch companies that hire out-of-country may make the first few months of the experience a harrowing one. However, once you're here for a year your employment opportunities greatly improve and expand. I'm hoping to earn an ESL certification within the year to be able to lecture at colleges!

#14 Edited by Jothel (913 posts) -

@pornstorestiffi said:

Cool, did you have an initial culture shock when you got there.

Not really no but I guess because I've come over here a whole bunch in general. First time in 2008 and yeah then had some pretty big culture shock. Gotten totally used to it now, going to be weird when I go back home and not be constantly surrounded by Japanese people

#15 Posted by arawk (183 posts) -

@pornstorestiffi: I work here. You guessed it, I teach English! But yeah, I guess I could have introduced myself...my bad.

I live in Tokai which is about an hour and a half north of Tokyo (by express train). I teach English at a public school and I also teach some business classes and a major electronics manufacturer. So, if you ever buy a blu-ray player with a poorly translated manual it was probably one of my students! I didn't really have much culture shock because this is my third time to Japan. This time being a more permanent basis.

Also, not to break anyone's heart but Japan is pretty normal...once you get settled in. Places like Akihabara, Shinjuku, and Harajuku are always crazy but mostly because they are huge tourist spots. I live in a pretty rural town.

If you are interested I vlog on youtube so here it is my shameless self promotion! http://www.youtube.com/arawk

#16 Posted by arawk (183 posts) -

@I_Stay_Puft: I know right! There are a couple stores near me that have tons of Dreamcast and Saturn games...all around a buck apiece!

#17 Posted by arawk (183 posts) -

@MiniPato: Sounds like fun...considering they are both illegal things. Used pantie vending machines have been illegal for many years and if you CAN get away with the train garbage go for it. You`ll get caught soon enough. Go, troll somewhere else.

#18 Posted by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

Can you get me a cheap mobile phone? Japan lives in the future I swear.

#19 Posted by arawk (183 posts) -

@Funkydupe: You can get cheap prepaid phones. Real phones cost about the same price (as in the states). It sucks because right now I only have a 1 year visa so when applying for a phone they look at that like you are only going to stay in Japan for 1 year and will make you pay for the phone all upfront. It`s fine if you plan on spending the money up front.

#20 Posted by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

They're running 5G now or what? They have more advanced phones than we do, at least that's what I keep hearing.

#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (36070 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

Japan lives in the future I swear.

Except for all the fax machines.

#22 Posted by arawk (183 posts) -

@MiniPato: Yeah I love jokes. But it gets old when people like to perpetuate stupid stereotypes. Not everyone is dressed like a furry, and there isn`t anime music playing constantly. Now every girl wearing a school girl uniform...that we can talk about! Cause that`s everywhere! haha

#23 Posted by arawk (183 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: I think it`s because a huge percent of the population is rather old...Japan is pretty low tech which is odd. People still religiously use day planners, fax machines, etc when more advanced options exist. Although, I can`t really blame them...when was the last time a day planners battery died...

#24 Posted by PandaBear (1310 posts) -

Are you guys worried about the radiation? (serious question, not trying to be a dick)

#25 Posted by BaconGames (3302 posts) -

I was curious about this topic myself a month back. Isn't living in Japan? I could be completely off base about that.

#26 Posted by Pepsiman (2459 posts) -

@BaconGames: I was until June last year and plan on moving back permanently after I graduate from my university this May. So nah, you weren't hallucinating it!

#27 Posted by arawk (183 posts) -

@PandaBear: I live in a town with a nuclear power plant. I also used to live near 3 mile island before moving here. I`m not all that worried. They do monthly tests (and have been for years) and publish all the results. I guess I should be a little worried but I figure they are concerned enough with public health and safety...

#28 Posted by arawk (183 posts) -

@Funkydupe: As far as I know, no. They are running the iphone 5 on 4ge lte...but I can tell you the internet (which is all fiber) is blazing! When I called to sign up they said my slowest speeds might be 100Mbs...and asked if that was OK...after I picked myself up off the floor I agreed! I`m at work right now so I`m only pulling 25Mbs http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/?result=26123

#29 Posted by MiniPato (2721 posts) -

@arawk said:

@MiniPato: Yeah I love jokes. But it gets old when people like to perpetuate stupid stereotypes. Not everyone is dressed like a furry, and there isn`t anime music playing constantly. Now every girl wearing a school girl uniform...that we can talk about! Cause that`s everywhere! haha

Hey, I hate it as much as you do. Sometimes I find there's an anti-"all things Japanese" sentiment among users to be disturbing and based largely on ignorance.

Either way, it was @pornstorestiffi who started it! So why do I only get scolded huh? HUH?! I was making a joke at my own expense, he was the one suggesting you guys did that perverted shit! OH GODDAMNIT I'M NOT JOKING ANYMORE. I'M FUMING MAD!

#30 Posted by arawk (183 posts) -

@MiniPato: wow...sorry...I hit the wrong reply button. If you can take a joke then why fly off the handle so quickly? I just wanted to see what duders lived in Japan. That`s all. I was simply responding to what I felt was a stupid comment. Sorry, I thought it was from you. Either way I`m not mad at anyone just annoyed (the same as you obviously) that people some how thing Japan is this big freakin circus. A person watches one anime and assumes that is exactly how Japan is. Or they watch one porno and assume there are chicks on every corner dressed like bears just pining for someone to have sex with them. It`s 2013 and I get really annoyed when anyone just assumes that `Japan is soooo foreign and crazy` just because it is different than their culture. So, again I`m sorry you are pissed.

#31 Posted by MiniPato (2721 posts) -

@arawk said:

@MiniPato: wow...sorry...I hit the wrong reply button. If you can take a joke then why fly off the handle so quickly? I just wanted to see what duders lived in Japan. That`s all. I was simply responding to what I felt was a stupid comment. Sorry, I thought it was from you. Either way I`m not mad at anyone just annoyed (the same as you obviously) that people some how thing Japan is this big freakin circus. A person watches one anime and assumes that is exactly how Japan is. Or they watch one porno and assume there are chicks on every corner dressed like bears just pining for someone to have sex with them. It`s 2013 and I get really annoyed when anyone just assumes that `Japan is soooo foreign and crazy` just because it is different than their culture. So, again I`m sorry you are pissed.

I was joking...I thought the caps was a give away :/

This is awkward. I'm gonna go now. Happy living in Japan duder!

#32 Posted by IzzyGraze (850 posts) -

: How do you guys like teaching ESL? I'm looking at teaching in Korea but haven't really found many good places or the good ones want someone more experienced. How do you find the pay vs. living expenses? Did you guys know Japanese before arriving? Do they pay for your plane flight?

#33 Posted by arawk (183 posts) -

@MiniPato: haha...sorry man! I must be off my game. I`m at work and thought you were serious...this is like Thanksgiving dinner all over again!

#34 Posted by arawk (183 posts) -

@IzzyGraze said:

: How do you guys like teaching ESL? I'm looking at teaching in Korea but haven't really found many good places or the good ones want someone more experienced. How do you find the pay vs. living expenses? Did you guys know Japanese before arriving? Do they pay for your plane flight?

I love teaching. I work for a dispatch company (you`ll have to decide if that`s the route you want to go) and it was as simple as applying and interviewing. Dispatch companies have a history of hiring ANYONE, so even with no teaching experience you can get a job teaching for most companies. I can`t really complain about the pay. I was teaching part time and didn`t have a full time job in the states so yeah. I also don`t live in a big city (Tokyo, Osaka etc) so the cost of living is a little better. I have a pretty comfortable lifestyle, but I`m also not providing for a family at this point so I can easily get by on what I make. I didn`t know much Japanese before getting here (still don`t know a ton) but I teach English so the company I work for doesn`t care (they will pay you more if you can pass some tests). I also had to pay for my flight over here.

#35 Posted by Eirikr (1006 posts) -

@IzzyGraze: Teaching is fun as long as the students are interested. Which for me, fortunately, has been the majority of my experience.

If you're interested in Korea, in fact I was just talking about teaching there v. Japan with some friends the other night. Apparently the pay is generally less in Korea than Japan, but the living expenses are also cheaper. Seems to be a very legit option if you're interested in Korea.

Like I said before, I'm employed with a shitty dispatch company right now, so the pay hasn't been all that great. However, I make up for it by teaching private lessons with students, which is also fun, lucrative, and easy work to obtain.

I knew how to read hiragana, katakana, and some kanji before coming here. I think that's the bare minimum you'd need. I haven't done any further study since I got here, but if you just pay attention to your surroundings it's almost impossible not to recognize patterns.

And no, my plane ticket was not paid for! I'd recommend saving up at least $4,000 US to cover a few months initial expenses before making the jump. I only came with $3,000 and was almost left high and dry.

#36 Posted by Video_Game_King (36070 posts) -

@Eirikr said:

However, I make up for it by teaching private lessons with students, which is also fun, lucrative, and easy work to obtain.

Plus I imagine you max out your social links in a month.

I haven't done any further study since I got here, but if you just pay attention to your surroundings it's almost impossible not to recognize patterns.

For something more serious, I've heard that's not always the case. There's either enough English in Japan that you don't need to learn Japanese as long as you know English, or you'll simply end up learning the bare minimum of Japanese necessary to get by. (I'm not sure if those are related, as I've never been to Japan.)

#37 Posted by Eirikr (1006 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

For something more serious, I've heard that's not always the case. There's either enough English in Japan that you don't need to learn Japanese as long as you know English, or you'll simply end up learning the bare minimum of Japanese necessary to get by. (I'm not sure if those are related, as I've never been to Japan.)

I probably should have prefaced by saying that merely paying attention isn't going to make you fluent or anything, but I can now understand the literal meanings behind some kanji and kanji radicals even if I wouldn't know their Japanese pronunciation. It helps me to buy beef instead of pork at the supermarket, for example.

If I knew more Japanese, I'd probably be doing a lot more s-linking youknowwhatimsaying, but I'm just as interested to see exactly how far I can get without it.

#38 Posted by Video_Game_King (36070 posts) -

@Eirikr said:

I can now understand the literal meanings behind some kanji and kanji radicals even if I wouldn't know their Japanese pronunciation.

This is kind of my level of Japanese reading. *the more you know*

If I knew more Japanese, I'd probably be doing a lot more s-linking youknowwhatimsaying, but I'm just as interested to see exactly how far I can get without it.

I hope you're a teenager, because otherwise, that's a tad worrying.

#39 Posted by demazin (102 posts) -

G'day!

I'm an Australian living in Nagoya, Aichi. Been here for about 9 years.

#40 Posted by pornstorestiffi (4909 posts) -

@MiniPato said:

@arawk said:

@MiniPato: Yeah I love jokes. But it gets old when people like to perpetuate stupid stereotypes. Not everyone is dressed like a furry, and there isn`t anime music playing constantly. Now every girl wearing a school girl uniform...that we can talk about! Cause that`s everywhere! haha

Either way, it was @pornstorestiffi who started it!

I don't even know what i started, but i'm assuming it was the statement about the panty machines and son on. Listen, if that really didn't come through as a joke, well them i'm sorry i didn't carve it out in neon colored concrete. But sure i will take the blame.

#41 Posted by cosi83 (392 posts) -

I'm living in Shanghai, the arcade scene here is impressive. I'm moving to Osaka in April though, coming by way of ferry

#42 Posted by Chris2KLee (2330 posts) -

Been living out in the Shonan area for going 5 years now. It's got it's quirks, but I love convenience and general safety.

#43 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

I went to Japan for 1 month last year. Ask me anything about strip clubs, karaoke, or the absurd prices of games.

Also I recommend the カツ丼 in Osaka station. Great stuff. Osaka > Tokyo; REPPIN' THE O.

#44 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

I almost moved there with my ex-almost-fiance. Now I am hoping to never have to go there. Joining the Marines this year (assuming no more huge legal problems spring up for me again) and I really don't want to be stationed over there. Nothing against Japan (although I don't think it'd really be my speed, honestly) but from what I've heard being stationed there is pretty lame if you just wanna be a grunt, like me.

Not at all surprised there are so many folks on the site that live in Japan or have recently. Seems like there are a lot of people who would be likely to do what most of the folks in this thread did and spend a year or two for school or work.

#45 Posted by RuthLoose (784 posts) -

@Vinchenzo said:

I went to Japan for 1 month last year. Ask me anything about strip clubs, karaoke, or the absurd prices of games.

Also I recommend the カツ丼 in Osaka station. Great stuff. Osaka > Tokyo; REPPIN' THE O.

Okay, what's up with Japanese strip clubs?

#46 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

@RuthLoose said:

@Vinchenzo said:

I went to Japan for 1 month last year. Ask me anything about strip clubs, karaoke, or the absurd prices of games.

Also I recommend the カツ丼 in Osaka station. Great stuff. Osaka > Tokyo; REPPIN' THE O.

Okay, what's up with Japanese strip clubs?

You can touch their tits, business men in suits will get on-stage and have asses rubbed in their face, and my old pair of glasses were in a strippers thong. I got new glasses. A night to remember.

#47 Posted by MikeFightNight (1087 posts) -

@arawk said:

@I_Stay_Puft: I know right! There are a couple stores near me that have tons of Dreamcast and Saturn games...all around a buck apiece!

Dude, can I open a standing tab with you to scoop up as many Saturn fighting games as you can carry out of those used stores? xD Looking at e-bay prices a few months ago was out of control, especially when that stuff is probably a lot cheaper in stores over there. Side question, can me and a friend crash at your place if we come to Japan for a raid? xD

#48 Posted by IzzyGraze (850 posts) -

: Ok. Seems like Korea is still the bigger cash cow for me at the moment. If you guys aren't tired of answering questions. Does Japan pay for your apartment? Maybe I could teach in Japan for my second year in Asia.

#49 Posted by arawk (183 posts) -

@IzzyGraze said:

: Ok. Seems like Korea is still the bigger cash cow for me at the moment. If you guys aren't tired of answering questions. Does Japan pay for your apartment? Maybe I could teach in Japan for my second year in Asia.

I have to pay for my apartment but the company I work for sent everything up for me. I didn't even have to look for a place. That is one of the good sides of working for a dispatch company. They helped me set up all my utilities, get my apartment, and other incidentals.

#50 Posted by arawk (183 posts) -

@MikeFightNight said:

@arawk said:

@I_Stay_Puft: I know right! There are a couple stores near me that have tons of Dreamcast and Saturn games...all around a buck apiece!

Dude, can I open a standing tab with you to scoop up as many Saturn fighting games as you can carry out of those used stores? xD Looking at e-bay prices a few months ago was out of control, especially when that stuff is probably a lot cheaper in stores over there. Side question, can me and a friend crash at your place if we come to Japan for a raid? xD

If your friend is Jeff Gerstmann then the raid is on!