Giant Bomb's Mathematical GOTY 2015 Spreadsheet!

Avatar image for translucentfish
translucentfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By translucentfish

For some GOTY fun, I'm taking the Top Ten lists of each GB employee, creating a simple ranking, and seeing which games end up in the mathematical Top Ten of the year.

I did a quick 1-10 point scale, 1 for tenth place, and 10 for first place. Any Tie-Breakers at the end will go to the game with the highest rank on an individual list.

Check out the Google Doc here!

This year was definitely a surprise with Mario Maker going to #1. I feel like the only other major surprise is Kerbal at #4 (with the "COD: Advanced Warfare Outta Nowhere" spot). Invisible, Inc. slipping in at #9 is fun too.

As far as the spreadsheet attempt, it did well at generally placing games near their spot. If Life is Strange and Axiom Verge made it, it would 100% as far as which games would be on the list. But 80% ain't too shabby at prediction this ridiculous process!

Here's the two lists in case no one wants to see the fancy spreadsheet:

GB Official 2015 GOTY ListThe 100% Accurate Mathematical Spreadsheet
#1 Super Mario Maker#1 Metal Gear Solid V - 54 points
#2 Metal Gear Solid V#2 Rocket League - 30 points
#3 Rocket League#3 Super Mario Maker - 29 points
#4 Kerbal Space Program#4 Splatoon - 19 points
#5 Splatoon#5 Undertale - 17 points
#6 Rise of the Tomb Raider#6 Rise of the Tomb Raider - 17 points
#7 Undertale#7 Life Is Strange - 15 points
#8 Grow Home#8 Axiom Verge - 15 points
#9 Invisible, Inc.#9 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 13 points
#10 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt#10 Grow Home - 13 points
translucentfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by posting to my own thread, but the List has been updated with Brad and Rorie, along with Dan and Drew.

Looks like the #1 & #2 so far is MGSV: Phantom Pain and Super Mario Maker. Which aren't any surprise really.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Did you include Rorie's list in previous years? I feel like that's likely to create some variation between the real list and this list because Rorie doesn't participate in the GOTY discussion..

translucentfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By translucentfish

@nevergameover: I didn't last year. But this year, Rorie's on there at the moment. He's an asterisk really. I think if at the end his picks skew things super strangely than I might remove his picks, but for now I think it's fine to include. But, good point!

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 25

This is cool! I'll bookmark this thing and check back as the lists come out. I'm also unsure if Rorie's list should even influence the points here, but whatever seems best, it's not my call to make!

translucentfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I took out Rorie's score from the Total for the time being, and added Austin and Vinny's lists!

Pretty clear that MGSV is going to be the #1 game. Super Mario Maker is a safe bet at #2.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By NeverGameOver

Pretty Interesting. SMM, Splatoon and Rocket League are all going to gain ground with Jeff, Alex, and Jason.... But how much?

translucentfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Added Jason and Alex today. Right now it looks like MGSV is clear #1. Rocket League and SMM are fighting for #2. And, unless Jeff's list is ridiculous, Bloodborne, Fallout 4, Ori, and The Witcher will be lucky to be #10. Crazy!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Seems about right considering that most of the staff didn't even play Super Mario Maker. Unless Jeff and/or Dan really fight hard for SMM, I bet MGSV takes the award as well as the maths.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Another way to do averages is to toss out the highest score and lowest score for each game, and then take the average of its remaining score. And yeah that means something that less than 3 people votes for are not counted. Take removes the 'politics' of putting your 'sacred cow' that you know is a poor choice from beating out a game taht really had more impact even if mild.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 25

MGSV definitely takes it this year, but I can't wait to hear the fight around it tomorrow. It's interesting to see how scattershot everything is after MGSV. Not too many unanimous opinions.

translucentfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going to update my post above as well, but this year was definitely a surprise with Mario Maker going to #1. I feel like the only other major surprise is Kerbal at #4 (with the "COD: Advanced Warfare Outta Nowhere" spot). Invisible, Inc. slipping in at #9 is fun too.

As far as the spreadsheet attempt, it did well at generally placing games near their spot. If Life is Strange and Axiom Verge made it, it would 100% as far as which games would be on the list. But 80% ain't too shabby at prediction this ridiculous process!

Here's the two lists in case no one wants to see the fancy spreadsheet:

GB Official 2015 GOTY ListThe 100% Accurate Mathematical Spreadsheet
#1 Super Mario Maker#1 Metal Gear Solid V - 54 points
#2 Metal Gear Solid V#2 Rocket League - 30 points
#3 Rocket League#3 Super Mario Maker - 29 points
#4 Kerbal Space Program#4 Splatoon - 19 points
#5 Splatoon#5 Undertale - 17 points
#6 Rise of the Tomb Raider#6 Rise of the Tomb Raider - 17 points
#7 Undertale#7 Life Is Strange - 15 points
#8 Grow Home#8 Axiom Verge - 15 points
#9 Invisible, Inc.#9 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 13 points
#10 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt#10 Grow Home - 13 points
ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

thanks for this!

maybe the mathemagician made all the crew's initial goodwill for witcher 3 just... disappear...
maybe the mathemagician made all the crew's initial goodwill for witcher 3 just... disappear...

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I understand the mathematical list a lot more than that weird other list.