Giant ROM 2 - The Giant Bomb Game Jam returns!

• 156 results
IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By IcyEyes

@havochq Man I thought Dan was going to pop out of that box beside you on the stream to announce the theme. Oh well :)

Good luck to everyone!

HoneyChicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By HoneyChicken

I had already decided on what i wanted to make before the theme was announced so my game might not fit the theme very well either,

I'm still looking to team up with an artist and audio jammers, anybody interested?

Here is my work in progress.

Loading Video...

D4RKSH33P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made an attempt last time to create a board game that was a two player combat game, but I never found time to finish writing the rules. BUT that won't stop me from trying again this week. I have an idea that I'm going to start jamming on tonight, this time a one player board game involving stealth and combat and AI DECISION TREES! Good luck everyone.

IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By IcyEyes

@honeychicken: My first idea for a game based on this theme was to actually make a Metal Gear party game, but I really don't have the time to do so. Maybe you could go with that idea instead?

Here's some sprites I made for a Mario Party like game that anyone is free to use in their jam game. You can even request additional sprites and I'll try to add them. I used fonts GrilledCheese (used for the Giant Bomb logo), New Super Mario, and Mario and Luigi.

No Caption Provided

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried to think like Kojima and I think my brain broke. Not sure if I'm going to enter this one. I'll do my best to whip something up sometime this week.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By finstern

Loading Video...

Nearing the end of day 2 for me. Back to my fulltime job tomorrow but I'm writing code that can be reused for most systems! Today I added the TriCaster, base functionality, the loud fan, the windows boot up sequence and the Tricaster "New Session" Menu. Going to try get the actual "Live" screen in in some fashion tonight but not sure if I'll have the time.

TriCaster Live Screen
TriCaster Live Screen

My girlfriend Clare is making some models (like the big knob) and we're grabbing some free models from turbosquid for the more common items. Check how complicated our Big Knob model is, going for full DCS style accuracy here!

No Caption Provided

Hoping to bring in some more models tomorrow, pretty much the full rack. Then we'll be researching the UPF with the iPad Robot and Brad bringing Will Smith up for this years Extra Life to get a good floor plan drawn up, then Clare will start modelling out the studio (if she has time!), I'll be grabbing some TVs, cameras and light models from TurboSquid then hooking all that into the Control Room. So hopefully by Wednesday we'll have the basics done =D

hermithomeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

My Main Screen. The Title (Giant Bomb: A Hideo Kojima Game) and the plot. The plan is to make it a simple First Person sneaking mission. Building off of UE4's FPS template and I'm still working on the AI. Here's hoping I can finish on time.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good luck everyone! I'll be cheering for ya'll from the sidelines! WOO!!!

thurbleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

oh man - did not realize this was a 9 day jam, thought I had more time.... *turns game dev into overdrive*

Avatar image for deactivated-6126d002b1d9f
deactivated-6126d002b1d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I don't know what this is gonna be by the end of the week but at least this looks rad

No Caption Provided

theflamingdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By theflamingdude
zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By zandravandra

Getting really impressed by what everybody's doing! Keep up the good work, folks! :D I'll post my own progress report soon.

JonnyAshley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By JonnyAshley

Hideo Kojima's GRASS ROOTS VAPE VAN REVEMPTION

Drive around San Francisco as Hideo Kojima in a vape van, fultoning people and objects to upgrade your FOVV's (Forward Operating Vape Van's) inventory and sell the highest quality vapes and vaping accessories. Recruit various giant bomb personalities including Solid Scanlon. Hide your vape van in a large cardboard box to avoid Konami's copyright lawyers.

"These aren't my smokes... they're... better!"

This will consist of

(1) 2D Side scrolling cycling loop of a slice of the street that CBS interactive is located (Or cheap facsimile thereof)

(1) Animated vape van that drives Left to Right only, can fire fulton devices to the right, and can disguise as a cardboard box

-Walking NPCs and miscellaneous fulton-able objects

-An upgrade window for upgrading and selling your inventory

(2) Music loops, 1 for roaming the street, and 1 for upgrading and selling

-A codec style conversation window for Kojima and his vape customers.

-Ongoing gameplay loop where you keep playing until you get busted by Konami lawyers (You lose some of your money, staff, and inventory every time you get busted)

-Bootleg Sonic the Hedgehog synthetic weed

I am an artist and animator and intend to provide sprites and art assets. I would like to learn a little more about either Game Maker or Unity out of this experience from a programmer that would like to team up with me on this project. I welcome anyone that would like to join or contribute in the form of art, music, short written dialog exchanges between kojima and customers, sound fx, or code. Please PM me if interested.

Some of my artwork can be found here and here:

http://jonnyflashley.tumblr.com/

http://jonnygames.tumblr.com/

theflamingdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By theflamingdude
No Caption Provided

Cardboard "Packaged" Snake finally takes shape - welcome to the boxed espionage action that is "Metal Gear Cardboard".

Avatar image for deactivated-640b96c035b9b
deactivated-640b96c035b9b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maniaccomet: What are the chances!? I have done one of those for my game as well (although yours is way better!)

boatorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I spent nearly all of my non-Dad time over the three day weekend working in Unity. I'm pretty excited about my progress so far.

No Caption Provided

Hopefully by Sunday I'll be in a full-body cast.

I checked up on this post yesterday and it turns out I'm kind of making the same game as Finstern. Fun fun.

hermithomeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By hermithomeboy
todomachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By todomachi

Wow you're a bunch of beautiful and crazy talented people.

I imagine that you will release the official cg trailers during the Game Awards? ^^

Seriously, though, I can't wait to see the rest.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Job has been super busy the last couple of days to tonight's the only real time I've had to work on it since the last progress vid...

Here's the video of today's progress:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0d5sZl3lg0

It wont let me embed for some reason =S

Here's what's new:

• Studio models (sofa, table, chair, fridge, cameras and light)
  • Interactable studio lights
  • Working studio cameras
  • TriCaster "Production" GUI (ugh)
  • Studio cams piping into the TriCaster

Here's what's being worked on / next:

• TriCaster Rack Model
  • TriCaster Controller Deck
  • Technical Pro PSB9 Model (blue light switches)
  • TV's with Game Feed
  • TriCasterProduction Code (layering diff inputs over one another on a separate RenderTexture)

Here's what I'm hoping to get done on Friday:

• Actual studio layout
  • Import posters and stuff
  • Luchadeer + shelves
  • Sound piping coded
  • Other lesser known systems simulacrum (see the checklist)

Teaching all day Saturday =( So on Sunday:

• The Checklist

Here's the checklist Drew was kind enough to send my way:

No Caption Provided

I'm not sure what most of those actually mean but sure, it's a video game =D I'll fake most of it for the sake of the time limit.

If you have any idea's, the sky's the limit! If you know what anything weird on that list means, like Reconcile video backups (check they're ready to go?), feel free to inform me!

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#72  Edited By fobwashed
BigDaddyTool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Planning to spend most of my time today working on assets now that the basic engine is just about ready to go. Hopefully I can start showing some stuff in the next day or two.

@havochq Just FYI you don't have a link to the jam submission page in your original post.

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigdaddytool: Whoops, my bad! I'm making a logo and updating that page tonight, with a link.

theflamingdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gfycat.com/CavernousHelplessGelada

Just finished adding the Chaff system and animations - almost done on the base engine, just need to add enemies and player health. Then it's onto building out the actual level and making assets and music, all of which I know more about than writing Unity code :/

Also @finstern that is a crazy amount of work, looking awesome! Can't wait to see the end product.

gkozma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

3 more days =D keep it up everyone see ya at the finish line

b33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By b33

Starting now. I'm going solo. No ideas yet.

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tigerbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess I'll show off a screen of what I have so far. It's not much to look at yet, and you can just circle strafe the enemy and it will never hit you, but it's starting to come together. Basically it's a fast paced boss rush type thing that's going to throw as much bullshit at you as possible. Although right now it just shoots at you and moves in weird ways because I decided to do this in Construct 2, a program I've never used before, so learning how to do things that I already know how to do in Unity has slowed me down a little bit.

Also, there's a really stupid story at the beginning that I'm quite proud of, but I'll have to keep you waiting for that.

No Caption Provided

thurbleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Happy with how my team is moving, though at the point where we should get the core done but some of the tougher to make bits may fall by the wayside : /

Here is a screenshot though - good luck to everyone!

No Caption Provided

b33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For now i just have some sprites done.

No Caption Provided

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I completely forgot about this due to personal circumstances....I need something to do over weekend perhaps I can find some way of bundling something together.

BigDaddyTool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reason I didn't stick to the announced theme is because I had the idea for an East vs. West game that I just had to do. Here's the first screen shot for Bomb vs. Beast: Rap Battle

No Caption Provided

mrflibble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I was worried that I wouldn't have my game finished in time but I've got most of it done now, i think. Just need to add the item description text and sound then I can focus on polish if I have time.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reason I didn't stick to the announced theme is because I had the idea for an East vs. West game that I just had to do. Here's the first screen shot for Bomb vs. Beast: Rap Battle

No Caption Provided

The best part is that with this theme, no entry is wrong. Who KNOWS what Kojima is up to next? Rap battle game is no weirder than sunlight powered handheld game.

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slowly making progress! I really need to ramp things up this weekend, there's so little time left!

No Caption Provided
MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

I decided to use this as an excuse to try out pico-8. There's less game here than an Amiibo Festival. But it will be theoretically playable.

boatorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I checked up on this post yesterday and it turns out I'm kind of making the same game as Finstern. Fun fun.

I wasn't lying about that. Home stretch!

No Caption Provided

Donuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't realize there was a page 2 for the longest time...

Anywho, all of these projects look awesome! I'll go ahead and post a screenshot of the title screen of

SolidScanlonS

No Caption Provided

Still quite a bit more work that needs to be done. Gameplay inspired by Undertale.

CRUNCH MODE TIME

dylanseaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it ended up super sloppy and i would've liked to have done a whole bunch of it differently (and better) but if i didn't get it done now, i wouldn't have gotten it done before the deadline so here we go: G.B.

theflamingdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Running into a lot of blockers with making my enemies working, but gonna concentrate on getting the level finished so at least that will be done! Hopefully can fix these bugs tomorrow before the deadline.

Donuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Made a ton of progress, but it's time for a boba break. Hopefully the story I wrote is dumb enough to be funny!

Donuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Donuts

Finally done, I'm exhausted. SolidScalonS is (mostly) complete!

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final day! Good luck folks, YOU CAN DO IT! :D

MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By MagnetPhonics

So, instead of finishing off the game today, I spent the day vomiting and then sleeping. I'm tidying the remnants into something that's playable from start to finish, but there's still big chunks missing.

Check it out here: WhatHideo

The idea was for an Amiibo festival style party game, where both players control Hideo Kojima and have him react to various events. Each player would have a different secret goal they would choose, with the most likely outcome being that everybody loses.

theflamingdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Quick screenshot of the game right now, once I get the AI working I can build out the rest of the level. Good luck everyone!

b33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still haven't finished, it is going to be tight.

Also, i think a guy just tried to rob my house, so i got that going for me. (for real)

Tigerbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time to finish up the last few little things. Like audio. And the win screen. And a UI that wasn't made in 2 minutes. And this weird pathfinding bug. And...

I guess I've still got a ways to go. I'm super happy with how my game has turned out so far, though!

theflamingdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also a great day to find out that the Unity Web Player doesn't run on Chrome or Edge! Guess I shall download firefox.. sigh..

isomac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By isomac

I finally got mine to a state, I could send it out. I didn't even get a change to add any audio or music :D I am not sure how well it runs on other machines, I only have tried it on mine. Also the game doesn't have any goal or stuff, since I don't know how to program. I still hope you find it enjoyable.

Here is the link for it, 64bit only: http://markus.itch.io/office-cleaner