Giant ROM - The Giant Bomb Game Jam

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

I'm surprised that you're still able to change stuff after you entered your game. I assumed that stuff was "locked down" from the moment that the entry period ended. Is this the same for all the other gamejams on Itch.io or is it a settings thing by the creator of the gamejam?

I think it's standard for Itch.io; there was no setting for it on my end. In this case, though, I think that's perfectly fine, since it's not a very rigid jam.

IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@havochq said:

@kewlsnake said:

I'm surprised that you're still able to change stuff after you entered your game. I assumed that stuff was "locked down" from the moment that the entry period ended. Is this the same for all the other gamejams on Itch.io or is it a settings thing by the creator of the gamejam?

I think it's standard for Itch.io; there was no setting for it on my end. In this case, though, I think that's perfectly fine, since it's not a very rigid jam.

Yeah. Those who missed the deadline probably could've prevented this by creating an Itch.io game entry for the jam, before even uploading the actual game. Ha!

I'd really love to participate in a future jam. Any thoughts/plans on how often these jams might happen? I definitely think it should be more than once a year. Having multiple jams spread out throughout the year -even if they're very small- might also allow more people to participate.

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203  Edited By zandravandra

@icyeyes: More than once a year sounds pretty good! Jeff mentioned that after E3 is another dead zone, so I'll look into that. Since this jam was rather general, I'm thinking future ones could have a more focused theme (like "Flight Club" or "Jeff's Knife Collection"). We'll see what people think! :D

Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

BigDaddyTool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Finally got some time to play & rate everybody's games and I'm impressed with a lot of the work that was done. I'll be looking forward to the next one, but I might still make my other idea (Dr. Tracksuit vs. The Reggae Vampire) in the meantime.

bluefoxxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

BEHOLD. MY CREATION.

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluefoxxy: You make me glad I let people start with over-budget vehicles. :D

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just five hours left to vote! If you haven't already, now's the time to let your fellow creators know what you thought! :D Tomorrow I'll tally the overall and category-specific standouts and begin the mysterious prize process!

GerbilsInSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And it is over! Thanks for everyone for voting, and making some awesome games. I'm pretty happy with my score, considering it was my first game with a single button for controls. :)

The right winner was chosen.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

9th/15 in Giant Bombitude... I'll take it!! Whoop whoop!

kewlsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Congratulations to Braking Brad for winning and everyone else for making cool shit! Special shoutout to Papa's Vinny's Barbershop, my personal favorite!

GerbilsInSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A notable game for me was flight club. I can't stop playing that thing, and the update really messed up my ability to get good scores. Good game is good.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll happily take sixth. Not bad for my first game jam.

Choose Your Own Quick Look was robbed! 19th?!? Have you people no soul? I spent more time with it than any of the others. The ultimate ending is great.

BigDaddyTool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No surprises to see Braking Brad get the nod. It was pretty clearly the best game of the jam. I'll happily take the #2 spot for Gameplay, and I'll be looking forward to the next #GiantROM!

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome work everyone! :D And oh my gosh, thank you so much for liking my silly game! :D

I'll be organizing the prize pool and contacting teams starting tonight, so keep an eye on your inbox! (Since I organized the jam, I'll skip my game when it comes to giving out prizes.)

Thanks for participating, and thanks for making such fantastic games! I don't think I'd have dreamed we'd get 20 games out of this first jam - it's a stellar effort by all involved! :D

Jixashauser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By Jixashauser

Great games everyone! I would love for this to become a thing that happens a few times a year, it was a lot of fun!

No Caption Provided

Also, since the jam is over and no one seemed to have found my easter egg I thought I would present the true nature of my game here!

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@gerbilsinspace: Haha, cheers! Glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks so much for organising this, @havochq! It was a ton of fun.

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apologies for the delay; the Fabulous Prize train has left the station! Keep an eye on your inboxes, prizes will be distributed over the course of the coming days!

Jixashauser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Jixashauser

So what were the prices? I wanna know what was so fabulous about them :)

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#228  Edited By finstern

Never got my game submitted, but sure I'll post it here now anyway. There's about 4 days of work in here so I kept within the week limit, had just been super busy!

My attempt at rebooting the Bike franchise!

http://finstern.itch.io/lifecycle

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope Bombduders becomes some kind of a real game. Maybe even replicates the arcade mode minigame with the dog but instead has luchadeer.

kewlsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the gamejam games were played on the Big Live Show yesterday! Judges were Dave Lang, Adam Boyes and John Drake!

@finstern said:

Never got my game submitted, but sure I'll post it here now anyway. There's about 4 days of work in here so I kept within the week limit, had just been super busy!

My attempt at rebooting the Bike franchise!

http://finstern.itch.io/lifecycle

That was cool. I love your pixelated cars!

@dan_citi said:

I really hope Bombduders becomes some kind of a real game. Maybe even replicates the arcade mode minigame with the dog but instead has luchadeer.

They talked about it on the stream yesterday and quite loved it. They also had some questions about the legality of it if this were ever to become a commercial product. I don't really see the problem since all the assets are original? Original graphics, original music, original code... You can hardly get in trouble for making a game about throwing frisbees, can you?

BigDaddyTool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So surreal to see my game being played on the stream. I've already reached out to Dave Lang on Twitter to sign my papers with Iron Galaxy so we can start making those fat stacks with Dan Cookert Turbo EX. I'm thinking about a season pass that includes several new nacho cheese recipes.

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigdaddytool: Congrats! :D I missed mine, so I'm eagerly waiting for the archives to be available. I am incredibly stoked that they played the games on stream! A fitting reward for everyone's amazing, ridiculous games. :D

BigDaddyTool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@havochq: I couldn't wait so I watched most of the archived stream on Twitch. Spoiler alert: they loved Braking Brad.

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@havochq: I couldn't wait so I watched most of the archived stream on Twitch. Spoiler alert: they loved Braking Brad.

:D :D :D!

kewlsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, many apologies for the delay, but the fabulous prizes are underway! The grand prizes are off to the Bombduders team - congrats for making a totally sweet game (with working online multiplayer, holy crap) and getting the highest overall rating! :D

For the just-normally-sweet prizes, everybody who participated gets a Steam game! Because what better time to get steam games than during the biggest sale of the year? If you were designated as the team leader, simply get your team together and check out the prize list here...

GIANT ROM FABULOUS PRIZE LIST

...and send me a PM to tell me what you want! There's only one unit of each game available, but every participant can get a pick - so if your team was 3 people, they each get a game! I'll mark off the claimed codes in order of PMs received.

Thanks again for your participation, your patience, and your totally amazing games! The next Giant ROM will happen later this year, quite likely some time after PAX Prime - see (some of) you there! :D

(Tagging the team leaders so they get a notification... wow that's a lot of people!: @jixashauser@mrflibble@program_ix@gerbilsinspace@zeg@maelstrom@kewlsnake@chronologist@conmulligan@tovan@gnomeonfire@mikelemmer@aurahack@sinusoidal@theps2collector@bdhurkett@hypnotoadbrwowrowrow@bigdaddytool@dylanseaman )

kewlsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you for organising it!

I tweeted my little text game "Vinny's Head" to Vinny during the jam and got an instant 1.5k views from it. It was also very cool to see the crew play the games on video. The prize list is also pretty spectacular! Great experience and hugs all around for everyone!

Gilian_Seed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its really cool you guys do this thing! If you want any help for testing I can!

PatboyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is awesome, guys.

Wanted to participate this year (and started my "Visual Novel" on Saturday) but due to a sudden feline medical emergency, I basically spent the week in and out of vets. Reading this thread and seeing the results start to pop up has really helped at the end of a rough week. Thanks for that.