#1 Posted by Edenfire (23 posts) -

For anyone that has followed this website from it's first little twitch as the "arrow pointing down" blog will know that what the main focus on having a website at all is to have a community driven, friendly yet very informative site that has world class reviews and content.

People need to stop fussing over current flaws in the site or comparing it to Gamespot  etc etc and try and help the website flourish.

I like the whole approach they are going for. If anyone bothered to check out comic vine when the lads mentioned it on the podcast, you'd see a thriving community of like-minded people having fun discussing important topics (and some ridiculously niche ones too some of them are.........odd) and therefore reducing the need for moderation or making the staff worry (or even panic) too much about how to keep a hold on things.

Obviously video games represent a much larger portion of the population then comics, and is far more mainstream, but it could still happen here. And hopefully it will.

In my opinion, some people need to get some common sense into their little  minds that people don't want random topics like  " type your username with you elbows" , "Anyone ever eat cheese while on a boat? which type works best?" or "Hey guys how much are we pissing on this site already?".

Try and prove "le haters" wrong by starting off with content that people want to join in with, and it'll get huge, and I will stay here. I want to stay here!

I realise this post is hella early for this type of talk ,since the website is only a day old, but I REALLY want to love this website

So hopefully it will settle down and mature somewhat, as all forums do, and we can all help it grow.

#2 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

Yes, I am getting sick of the threads concerning eating cheese on boats, too. Part of the problem comes from how new the site is. It's fresh and exciting, so lots of gamespot users are coming over to try it out. Someone, somewhere heard that the moderators were nowhere to be seen, and that alone has attracted a lot of the spam we are seeing. I'm sure that, given a few more days, with a few more mods and more forum regulation, things can begin running smoothly again.

#3 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -

Straight up. This spam invasion is awful and I hope they pick some police mods to regulate this damn place

*Puffs Cigar*

#4 Posted by Ghost_of_Perdition (735 posts) -

Kinda makes you want to go back to the not-so-old days of the Giant Bomb blog pages.

#5 Posted by Edenfire (23 posts) -
Ghost_of_Perdition said:
"Kinda makes you want to go back to the not-so-old days of the Giant Bomb blog pages."
Yeah a little bit i guess. I'm sure there is some cool stuff coming though!

Also, good style with the Opeth references. they are my favourite band
#6 Posted by Osmiles (198 posts) -

I kinda expected it to be like this, and I am pretty sure all of this will be sorted out soon. And for the record I have eaten cheese on a boat before, not all it's cracked up to be.

#7 Posted by MB (13272 posts) -

These types of posts certainly aren't helping the spam factor, either.  Just give it time and all will turn out well, it's been less than 24 hours after all. 

#8 Posted by Exit (13 posts) -
Osmiles said:
"I kinda expected it to be like this, and I am pretty sure all of this will be sorted out soon. And for the record I have eaten cheese on a boat before, not all it's cracked up to be.
"
I expected it to be like this. It'll improve though.
#9 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

Yeah there is a bit too much spam. But those hamburger things and cheese threads can be kind of funny.

They have their place that's for sure, but there are just a few too many of them right now

Hopefully some mods get in place soon

#10 Posted by Kevin (369 posts) -

It's only the first day still. The GameSpot/GameFAQs trolls will give up in a couple of weeks.

#11 Posted by MB (13272 posts) -

Termite, most of these people will soon grow tired of posting their Cheese on Boats threads and just move on to other things.  I hope, anyway.

Once about 10 or 20 moderators get up and running and are briefed from the staff on what they envision the forums being like, things will quickly turn around.  Right now it's only so bad because some people see a lack of moderation as a license for asshattery. 

#12 Posted by Edenfire (23 posts) -
MB said:
" people see a lack of moderation as a license for asshattery.  "
Hah well said!
#13 Posted by Caje (138 posts) -

It'll ease up in a few days. It hasn't even been 24 hours since launch yet.

#14 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -

people are excited for the launch of this thing... we've been waiting...

#15 Posted by MisoRonery (470 posts) -

Way to create a spam thread about spam threads.  That'll help to reduce the clutter.

Sarcasm aside, it is the site's first night and people are bound to go a little crazy.  While it may never be perfect, things will calm down slightly in the following weeks.  I for one appreciate the freedom and sense of anarchy this forum represents.

Are there not enough heavily moderated gaming forums on the net for you to find another one if this one doesn't suit your taste?