#1 Edited by harris (848 posts) -

THE APP IS NOW IN BETA. SEE THE NEW THREAD.

Me (Harris), drew, and poserdonut have created a Giant Bomb app for android. You can watch/download videos, read various site content, and listen to or download the bombcast.

IMPORTANT:

The app is not complete. Though it is nearly feature complete, it is still not completely polished.

Get it on the Android Market!

Thanks to Jeff's donation towards the Market fee, the app is now on the Android Market. It's listed as "GiantBomb Alpha". Download it and leave a nice rating!

Testing

If you have an android device, please test this application. I only have one device, a G1, so I can't test it on other devices like the droid. Please leave feedback! This is important, and will lead to a more stable app. 

UPDATE: Please submit bugs/issues here:   

http://code.google.com/p/giantbomb-android/issues/list

Screen Shots

NOTE: These screenshots are from version 1.3. 

Source code

The project's source code is up on our google code page here: 
http://code.google.com/p/giantbomb-android/  
The latest binaries are also uploaded there, in case you for some reason can't get it off the market.  

I apologize in advance for my sometimes sloppy and mostly uncommented code. I'll fix it eventually.

Changelog 

1.0 - initial release 
1.01 - small update 
  • Touch to pause
  • Displays video title while playing
  • Fixed small bugs including two icon bug
1.1 - big update 
  • Media controls
  • Greatly improved interface, including video thumbnails
  • No autostart, to allow for buffering
  • Code optimizations
1.21 - big update  
  •  Icon Caching
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Several bug fixes 
  • Load 25 more for videos and reviews
1.3 - big update 
  -Bombcast
-Search (Menu option)
-Performance Enhancements
-Many minor tweaks
-Many UI tweaks and optimizations
-Video's embedded in news stories are now playable

This application is being coded by me (Harris), poserdonut, and drew.

#2 Edited by Karmum (11517 posts) -

Just curious, do you have any video of the application doing its thing? Also, glad somebody decided to step up to the plate and try the Android platform. Sadly, can't test this for you.

#3 Edited by harris (848 posts) -
@Karmum: No.. sadly the only video camera I have is my android device -_- 

I would greatly appreciate if someone else could make a video of it.
#4 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -
@harris said:
" @Karmum: No.. sadly the only video camera I have is my android device -_- "
Any chance of screen shots? 

Just curios to see what it looks like as I don't have an android.
 I'd also maybe PM them to Snide, might be able to help you along with it.
#5 Posted by AjayRaz (12424 posts) -

hats to you for attempting this. good luck 

#6 Posted by harris (848 posts) -
@Ineedaname: I'll get some screens up in a few minutes.
#7 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

So when I hit install, you aren't going to be deleting all my SD card shit and stealing my identity, is you?  LOL  If so, I'm going to have to hunt you down and kill you.

#8 Posted by harris (848 posts) -
@jakob187: No, it won't :P  
Feel free to backup if you're concerned.
#10 Edited by jakob187 (21662 posts) -
@harris said:

" @jakob187: No, it won't :P  Feel free to backup if you're concerned. "

LOL, it's cool. 

Alright, so here's a few things: 

• Lots of force closes so far.  Don't know why, just is. 
  • Can you set the videos up to be centered? 
  • Is this only for the videos on the site, because that's all I'm getting to come up so far.
  • My first time stated it was a failed installation, but the second time worked
  • Videos are only occasionally working

Regardless, it's cool to see something done in such little time!  = D 

Also, the video streaming quality is pretty damn good, sir.  Is this going to be strictly an app for the videos on the site?  If so, then you should probably list it as such so there's no confusion.
#11 Posted by harris (848 posts) -
@Eisen: Hmm... that's bad. I'll work on it.  

@jakob187:  What device are you running it on? I'll work on the videos being centered. Also, what kind of connection do you have? (3g, edge, wifi?) 

Also, screenshots are up.
#12 Posted by Karmum (11517 posts) -
@harris: 
Can you scroll through all of the videos. I mean, are there multiple pages, and how many videos are held in each hypothetical page?
#13 Posted by harris (848 posts) -
@Karmum: Currently it only shows the 25 most recent videos. A "load 25 more" button like in the iPhone app will be added in a future version.  

Keep in mind this a VERY early release, and my first real android app. It was also coded in about 3 hours.
#14 Edited by jakob187 (21662 posts) -
@harris said:

" @Eisen: Hmm... that's bad. I'll work on it.  

@jakob187:  What device are you running it on? I'll work on the videos being centered. Also, what kind of connection do you have? (3g, edge, wifi?)   Also, screenshots are up. "

I'm on a Motorola Droid, 3G.  The videos have started showing up more now and I'm having less crashes, which is nice.

@Karmum said:

" @harris:  Can you scroll through all of the videos. I mean, are there multiple pages, and how many videos are held in each hypothetical page? "

I'm curious about this as well.  I noticed a scroll bar on your screenshot, but I have no scroll bar.  Is this only a set amount of videos, or are you going to be adding a search function for GB videos later?  Also, any type of timestamp bar so we can jump forward or backward in the videos?
#15 Posted by Karmum (11517 posts) -
@harris: 
Well, regardless, from the screenshots, it looks very nice. I hope this is able to be successful, unfortunately, I don't have any money to donate (literally). It's unfortunate when you don't have a job.
#16 Posted by Aeterna (1117 posts) -

I don't have an android phone but I like seeing this. :)

#17 Posted by harris (848 posts) -
@jakob187: I think your device might have a large enough resolution to display all of the videos in the list without needing a scrollbar. Can you count to check if there are 25 entires in the list? Also see if it's less crashy with wifi. Thanks for helping me test this out.
#18 Posted by Bucketdeth (8005 posts) -

Thats awesome man, if I had a phone to install this I would be all for it.

#19 Edited by jakob187 (21662 posts) -
@harris: Yeah, I've got 25 entries when the screen is vertical.  Cool beans, just wanted to make sure. 

It's much more stable right now on 3G.  I think my problem was that at the start of a video, I've got a black screen until the video has buffered up, which I wasn't aware of.  I was waiting for a time scroll bar to show up and a loading icon.  LOL 

A couple of other suggestions if they are possible:  full screen video option and larger text.  It's a bit tough for muh fat fingers to hit the correct links!  LAWL
#20 Posted by harris (848 posts) -
@jakob187: Yea, I should work on some sort of display to show it's buffering :P
#21 Posted by harris (848 posts) -

Woah, alright. Jeff donated the remaining $20, so I suppose that means the staff approves of this application :) 

Working on getting it up on the market now.

#22 Posted by Karmum (11517 posts) -
@harris said:
" Woah, alright. Jeff donated the remaining $20, so I suppose that means the staff approves of this application :)  Working on getting it up on the market now. "
That's great, dude. Keep goooooing!
#23 Posted by Jerr (531 posts) -

Nice job dude

#24 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -
@harris said:
" Woah, alright. Jeff donated the remaining $20, so I suppose that means the staff approves of this application :)  Working on getting it up on the market now. "
BALLIN!  Thanks Jeff!!! 

I uninstalled and reinstalled the program because I had two app icons for one install.  I think it might be from when I first installed and it didn't install correctly or whatever.  However, under my "manage applications", there was only one app for it.  When I uninstalled, it took away both icons.  Now that I've reinstalled...still two icons.  LOL  Anyone else having that issue?
#25 Posted by harris (848 posts) -

Wow, that was fast! The app is now up on the market, thanks again to Jeff! It's called "GiantBomb Alpha", search for it! Leave a nice review if you'd like, too.

#26 Posted by harris (848 posts) -
@jakob187: I had that issue once too, I'll look into it.
#27 Edited by Fbomb (1168 posts) -

Looking good! If I had an android phone, I'd try to help with this project :)

Also, if you're going to add search, something that you can build leading into a full search feature, is pre-formated searches, such as Quick Look, QOTW, etc. Since all their videos adhere to the same naming conventions, creating code to filter videos by specific words at the beginning of their text string, and sorted by date added, will help users find the videos they're looking for without having to initiate a search. Should be a lot shorter to code than the search anyway, and removes a need to manually sort and tag anything.

#28 Posted by p4ddym1607 (995 posts) -

Cool. Keep up the good work.

#29 Posted by Fbomb (1168 posts) -

Oh, also, add their Bombcast if it's easily accessible. That would be the other major draw for anyone "discovering" this app on the marketplace. You also wouldn't need to do anything fancy with it, such as searches, etc, since the chronological order is pretty much the only needed feature.

#30 Posted by Karmum (11517 posts) -
@harris: 
Looks like the screenshots are gone, might want to put them back up. Glad it's on the Android's marketplace.
#31 Posted by harris (848 posts) -
@Karmum: It seems the image host I put them on is temporarily down. If it's not up after a short while I'll put them up somewhere else.
#32 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

Screenshots are up on Android Marketplace as well as the first page of this thread. 

I also agree that Bombcast support would be epic.  However, baby steps.  = D

#33 Posted by harris (848 posts) -
@Fbomb: @jakob187: Sounds like another nice feature, I'll add Bombcast support to the list of features.
#34 Posted by harris (848 posts) -

Figured out the two icon issue, fixing.

#35 Edited by p4ddym1607 (995 posts) -
@harris
How long did this take you from start to now?
#36 Posted by harris (848 posts) -
@p4ddym1607: Somewhere between 3-6 hours. The GiantBomb api and the existence of the iPhone app made it a whole lot easier.
#37 Posted by harris (848 posts) -

1.01 update released to market! Please update your app. Please test this and give some feedback. Thanks.

Changes:  
1.01 - small update 

• Touch to pause
  • Displays video title while playing
  • Fixed small bugs including two icon bug
#38 Posted by mracoon (4966 posts) -

Nice work. If I had an Android based phone I would definitely download this but I don't so I'll just wish you good luck with the project.

#39 Posted by p4ddym1607 (995 posts) -
@mracoon said:
" Nice work. If I had an Android based phone I would definitely download this but I don't so I'll just wish you good luck with the project. "
You can emulate it
#40 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

For update 1.01: 

• Some of the videos aren't loading
  • Some that load are freezing
  • Couple of force closes trying to back out to video menu

#41 Posted by harris (848 posts) -
@jakob187: Do you have access to wifi? If so, can you try it out on that and see if it's any better?
#42 Posted by p4ddym1607 (995 posts) -

I ran that .apk file you originally had on the android emulator.
It worked. Although I didn't seem to have any video controls or anything.

#43 Posted by harris (848 posts) -
@p4ddym1607: Yea, in 1.0 there were no video controls. 1.01 has a pause function.
#44 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -
@harris said:
" @jakob187: Do you have access to wifi? If so, can you try it out on that and see if it's any better? "
Not that I know of.  If I do, I have no idea how to get to it.  LOL  Consider me the lowest common denominator of alpha tester.
#45 Posted by p4ddym1607 (995 posts) -
@harris said:
" @p4ddym1607: Yea, in 1.0 there were no video controls. 1.01 has a pause function. "
Cool. Nice project. Keep up the good work.
#46 Posted by harris (848 posts) -
@jakob187: Do you have a wireless router? If you do then you probably have a wifi network :P You can connect to it by going to Settings > Wireless Controls > Wifi/Wifi settings 
#47 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Nice.

#48 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -
@harris said:
" @jakob187: Do you have a wireless router? If you do then you probably have a wifi network :P You can connect to it by going to Settings > Wireless Controls > Wifi/Wifi settings  "
Don't have one of those either.  We don't have WiFi at work, and I don't have it at home.  What would I need WiFi for?  lol
#49 Posted by harris (848 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" @harris said:
" @jakob187: Do you have a wireless router? If you do then you probably have a wifi network :P You can connect to it by going to Settings > Wireless Controls > Wifi/Wifi settings  "
Don't have one of those either.  We don't have WiFi at work, and I don't have it at home.  What would I need WiFi for?  lol "
For testing my app :P  
If anyone with a droid phone has wifi, testing stability with and without wifi would be appreciated. 

On a side note the developer console is showing that the app already has 43 active installations!
#50 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -
@harris: Great work. I don't have an Android phone, but it's good to see someone doing this, since it seems a lot of folks want it. ^_^ 

If I could throw out a suggestion though, add tabs to filter videos like the ones on the videos page. (Endurance Run, Quick Looks, TANG, Features, etc.) Makes it easier to find older stuff, rather than loading 25 more until you make it back to where you want to be. :)