Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By thatfrood

RESULTS ARE IN CLICK HERE TO SEE THEM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Alright, many may remember, but for the last several years we've been making user lists of our favorite games that come out each given year. There's a system in place to then add all that stuff up and determine the Giantbomb Community's Aggregate GotY List of the Year!

Past year's GOTY lists: 201120122013

In brief: You create a Game of the Year list and submit the url to me via a google form. You are free to edit that list up until December 30th. I then run my code on the list of urls submitted to me, it adds up all the scores and determines a final Game of the Year list for the whole community. I post that list on the forum at the end of December, along with all of the data.

I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING AND DON'T NEED TO READ THIS, JUST GIVE ME THE GOOGLE FORM LINK

I don't know what I'm doing, explain the process to me long and slow-like with visual aids:

Okay, that's too much, explain it to me short and quick-like with text:

1. Make an ordered user list and title it anything you like (traditionally, the title would be akin to GOTY 2014)
  2. Fill that list with those games you played this year that you think are most deserving.
  3. Once you are finished, copy the url in the address bar that goes to your user list.
  4. Go to THIS GOOGLE FORM and submit the url.
  5. You're done.

The most basic of rules:

• Lists are ordered, lists have no duplicate entries, and each user submits only one list.
    • If you attempt to do any of these things, my code detects it and will not accept your list
  • Lists contain games you have played this year, this year being 2014
  • Lists are ranked from best to worst
  • Lists are no longer accepted after December 30th

FAQ

• how many games in my list? as many as you like! I'll only count the first ten though. If you have fewer than ten, I'll only count those that you have.
  • can I make an unordered list? no.
  • what am I doing? you're making an ordered user list of your favorite games you played this year, and submitting the url to this google doc.
  • when will results be posted? end of december.
  • when are lists due? December 30th
  • can I submit a game not from 2014? I won't arrest you if you do. The option is available because there are so many fringe and outlier cases where a person can justify an inclusion of a game from another year that I can't ban it. The rule of thumb is that the game must be "new" to you for that given year. Meaning, you can't just have DOTA #1 every year.
  • isn't that not a goty list then? Well, I guess it depends what you call a GOTY list. If it's a personal list of games most meaningful to you that given year, then no, it's still a GOTY list. If it's a list that includes only games from the given year, and intends to be a final scorecard for the year, then no, it is not. But you shouldn't worry, because from the prior we get the latter. Quirks in personal lists are buried by aggregation, and you'll find that, just like in the past 3 times we've done this, the final top ten is of games exclusively from the given year.
  • can I edit my list after I submitted it? You absolutely can. You can even edit the title of your list, the url you submitted will remain valid.
  • where should I send my goty list url? this google doc.

*if you live in a tropical climate, I don't know, grab yourself a cool drink.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I made a list! Anarchy Reigns better win GoTY or ima be pissed. Still going to play Wolfenstein, probably won't get to Evil Within before the end of the year. Don't remember if I played 300 hours of EUIV this year, last year, or both.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi

I submitted my GotY list which is entirely made up of games that came out in the year two thousand and fourteen.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I find GOTY lists that include games outside of the year we are in a lot less interesting for some reason.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

I find GOTY lists that include games outside of the year we are in a lot less interesting for some reason.

Yeah, and I get that, but allowing their inclusion does not make a meaningful impact on the final list.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@thatfrood: Doesn't it? I played more games outside of 2014 this year and liked them all better. There would be only two 2014 games on my list.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By thatfrood

@zevvion said:

@thatfrood: Doesn't it? I played more games outside of 2014 this year and liked them all better. There would be only two 2014 games on my list.

I've reworded it to be a bit more clear, but this is how it has been for the last three years, games from past years never make it to the top 10 of the aggregate. You have the option to include a game from a past year if it was meaningful to you this year, but it is only an option when you're stuck wanting to include something that you feel is justified. It is not encouraged.

Relenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BuggeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By BuggeX

Thank you for doing this again this year, I always find other peoples GOTY list interresting. Here is my 2 cents.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

This is going to be the first year in a long time where I feel like I'm going to struggle to get a full 10 for a list. If not for these damn new systems I might have played more this year. I've got that old console blues. I feel I procrastinated on games more than any year before. Might've been all that time I devoted to watching bad pro wrestling. Thanks Powerbombcast...

Don't think I'll get to any of the top ringers like Far Cry 4, Shadow of Mordor, or Dragon Age seeing as I'd rather play them on new consoles. Can't play Bayonetta 2 since I probably won't have a WiiU for a while. Realistically I don't think I can put in the time into Destiny or Warlords of Draenor at this point to gain an meaningful opinion. So my options are pretty paper thin for me but I'm still going to try to put something together. Might have a PS4 by the end of the year but it's hard to say.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By nightriff

Thank you for doing this, will get my list ready and submitted soon

XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

enemylandlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've never made any kind of GOTY list before, it was fun. Here's my list. Unfortunately it contains nothing made for the Xbox One or Wii U, I just don't have the cash to be comprehensive. For now.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

"what am I doing? you're making an ordered user list of your favorite games you played this year, and submitting the url to this google doc."

That made me laugh way too much.

And shit, this post just made things real. Time to spend the rest of my vacation finishing games I said I'd finish later!

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Creating my list is actually making me feel pretty good about this year. I was down on it earlier but all is well now. It's actually scary realizing how much I actually did like Destiny, though.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#16  Edited By Slag

Thanks for doing this again @thatfrood!

I'll have my list ready by 12/30, got me some playin to do.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Hunter5024

I love Game of The Year time. I finally hit a point where I can put 10 games in a list without being pissed that one of them is on there. I've gotta try and find some hidden gems over the next month though, because I don't want my GOTY list to be "The 9 not-shitty games I played this year, also Bravely Default."

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By Jesus_Phish

I love Game of The Year time. I finally hit a point where I can put 10 games in a list without being pissed that one of them is on there. I've gotta try and find some hidden gems over the next month though, because I don't want my GOTY list to be "The 9 not-shitty games I played this year, also Bravely Default."

I've some holiday time lined up soon and I'll be spending it catching up on games I've missed out on because right now my list is pretty much "Here's a bunch of re-released games from last year, some games that weren't awful and Persona 4 Golden".

aznan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By aznan

Thanks for doing this again. Always fun to see how wrong other people are :)

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Yay, List time. Commence!

ArmedBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never put an unreleased game on my GOTY lists, but I put Silent Hills as my #8 because I had so much fun with PT. Kojima...

I took a pass on most of the major releases this year, so my list is made up of mostly smaller indie types.

Here's my list.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I've fully played and finished a grand total of 1 game that actually came out this year (DSII) and I sure as hell wouldn't nominate it for GotY.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Yay, thanks for doing this again this year. It's the first time I'm doing a list and it's pretty fun!

This is my list so far. I wonder if I'll be the only person to put Desert Golfing in the top 5.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank god for Dragon Age: Inquisition, otherwise this list would be a total shit-show. I mean, Threes! is a fun little mobile-game, but if a simple mobile number-game is my fourth favorite game this year, it's been a terrible year for games.

I hope people don't forget The Banner Saga though. Really underrated game this year.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By militantfreudian

@hassun: I'm in the same boat, and the only other new game I played from start to finish was the first Dark Souls. I anticipate to feel a little detached in this year's game of the year discussions.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@audiobusting said:

Yay, thanks for doing this again this year. It's the first time I'm doing a list and it's pretty fun!

This is my list so far. I wonder if I'll be the only person to put Desert Golfing in the top 5.

Velvet Sundown as #1 is fucking madness and you are a maniac.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bemusedchunk

I made a list!

Still playing though South Park and Bayonetta - and hoping to get to Wolfenstein and Bayo 2 before the year is through.

My list will continue to grow.

Edit: This is a huge work in progress and by no means final. It's more of a Public Alpha, if you will...

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hassun

@militantfreudian: I'm just so damn slow at actually picking up and playing games. The biggest/newest other game I played this year was Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut.

The only other reasonably recent game I played is War Thunder and I don't want that thing anywhere even remotely near to a GotY list.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bemusedchunk: If you are submitting that list you should reorder it in order of how much you liked them because I highly doubt you want to name Deadpool your 2014 Game of the Year.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Work in progress, still have a few games I absolutely have to play before completing this list (Transistor, Alien Isolation to name a couple), the ones I put one are almost guaranteed though and I am probably decided on my #1.

enemylandlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By enemylandlord

@corevi: Deadpool is game of the year every year. Forever. Video games are dead.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@thatfrood: What about games I've (fully) watched another person play? Such as watching Jesse Cox play through Jazzpunk or Broken Age: Part 1? I'd say both those games have their merit, especially being that they are interesting enough for me to sit down and watch someone else play it.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redefaulted: With games like Broken Age and Jazzpunk where the actual act of playing the game isn't that important I think that's fine. If you were to nominate Bayonetta 2 without having played it that would be much weirder.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bemusedchunk

@corevi: What?! WHY NOT DUDE! ITS GOT BOOBS! AND GUNS! AND TACOS! And repetitive gameplay that just wouldn't ever end!!!

Yeah, the list is a huge work in progress - since this is being shared via a gdoc I will submit the finalized version there.

And whats the problem with having Deadpool as my GOTY 2014?

GhostHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Made me a list. 2015 here we come!

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By thatfrood

@redefaulted said:

@thatfrood: What about games I've (fully) watched another person play? Such as watching Jesse Cox play through Jazzpunk or Broken Age: Part 1? I'd say both those games have their merit, especially being that they are interesting enough for me to sit down and watch someone else play it.

By and large I run by the idea that it is up to each individual list maker to determine what they think is and isn't appropriate to include in a goty list. I can tell you that I personally would not add games I only watched being played because I like to use these lists to look back on what I played in past years. It's a personal list with memory associated to it, and including games I only watched would not really fit to me unless I felt like I, in some way, participated.

So I'm saying it's your discretion, but I'd really think about it first if those viewing experiences were meaningful enough. I don't mind though, I want you to like your list.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghosthouse: I was nodding along with all of your selections. Then I got to The Sims 4.

To each their own!

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Brake

My favorite time of the year!

My list is a work in progress. Still need to play some indie stuff I missed this year.

BananaHace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40  Edited By BananaHace

Could you add a special permission for adding the innovative and groundbreaking title Dino D-Day to your GOTY list? I know that technically it wasn't released in 2014, but frankly the aftershocks of it's impact on our industry are still felt to this day.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

Sent! Mine is only 8 games long so far, which is the exact amount of games I had on my list last year... seems I play less and less totally new games. Or maybe more and more early access/beta games.
I do got one more though, but I want it to release first. Don't feel like unfinished games fits on such a list, and Elite: Dangerous makes the list without trouble even before release. Luckily, it is out this month!

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will try and get a list going.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By hassun

Take a break award/most disappointing trend: Games not working.

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some good games came out this year, my list has the best ones

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By thatfrood

@bananahace: Hace I will delete your list from the spreadsheet. 4 years of your dino d day bullshit goddamnit. 4 years.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like the Year of the Bow, 2015 will probably be the Year of Victorian England.

Bloodborne, The Order, Assassin's Creed Victory, etc.

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By StrawHat_NPC

My list is uploaded. It was a pretty decent year for the games that weren't busted.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My list isn't finalized but I'm pretty happy with the top 4 so I feel alright sharing it.