Giantbomb Community 2014 GOTY List Voting

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@fredchuckdave: Somehow this slipped through the cracks. Yeah, I was expecting much more in terms of difficulty from it, maybe something will come with it, considering the devs want to support it.

Tizzzzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I spend probably, like, 80% of my life pointlessly making lists for myself, so I always have fun making this stuff at the end of the year, and I'm glad you compile the community lists like this. Here's my list, and also here's an absurdly long blog post that has other thoughts about the year, including some game related stuff but also movies and wrestling, because all three of those things should go together. Have a look if you'd like! There are a lot of pictures and words, more than I care to acknowledge actually happened.

And happy, safe holidays to everyone at GB.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Weirdly enough Christmas Day was the only time I could find to finalize my list. It wasn't easy to put together but it's done. I like to get my end of the year list finished before the lists from the GB crew drop so that I'm not influenced by their ridiculousness. This was a kind of low year for video games in my life to be honest. My pile of shame for this year seems like it would've been my actual list if I had gotten my shit together. Happy holidays everybody, also shalom.

Meepers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Here's mine.

Meepers' GOTY 2014 Top 10

I wish I had more time for a few of the games on my list but you gotta make do with what you got. I wish I had time to play Bayonetta 2 because I know it would've landed on there somewhere. Oh well, plenty of time to play it into the new year. That is, if I ever finish Dragon Age (not a complaint!)

Avatar image for impalingnarwhal
impalingnarwhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Awesome, I'll be sure to take part. Wish I did this last year; I played many more recent games then.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#207  Edited By Jedted

Will this count All games in every list or just the ones that came out in 2014? Are Game of Thrones and Tales from the Borderlands eligible just for the first episode?

My list for 2014

pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Just finished my list I'm not 100% happy with it but I wanted to submit one and this is the last time I'll have internet access until the 31.

My List

IrishFighter38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This list is coming in hot, but I stand by my decisions.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Okay, now that I've finished The Talos Principle, my GOTY list is done.

I didn't get around to finishing Transistor, but I don't think it would end up in my top ten anyway. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the two hours I played of Transistor, but I just haven't cared enough to return to it...

PK_Koopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Guess I'll just throw in mine as well to show some Bayonetta love.

Valhallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I am new here so here goes nothing. Submitted!

My List

I didn't play too many 2014 games

Olqavtoras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally completed my list.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

DONE

the only thing i didn't play that i think would probably have made the list is The Banner Saga, but I made the decision to wait for the PS4 version, so maybe next year.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

You have an extra day to submit lists, meaning that is that they can be submitted by December 31st!

For some bizarre reason I thought December only had 30 days in it. The GOTY totals will be posted on Jan 1st.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

You have an extra day to submit lists, meaning that is that they can be submitted by December 31st!

For some bizarre reason I thought December only had 30 days in it. The GOTY totals will be posted on Jan 1st.

end of day Decemeber 31st or end of day December 30th?

because man I'm going to need every minute I can get to figure mine out.

Thanks for doing this again this year!

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: end of day 31st! U.S. central time.

MrCK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#219  Edited By MrCK

Finally got around to finishing and submitting my list (here if you're interested).

Looking forward to seeing the results of this.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it had to be finished by midnight, but apparently there's another 48 hrs.

Regardless, the list is done! Finito!

Here are my Top 10 Games of 2014.

Summary:
2014 was pretty uneven, but boy did it have some good platformers and action games.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Welp, that wrong deadline screwed Banner Saga out of my top 10! Got to the last chapter, but I thought I was gonna miss the deadline so I just submitted my list with it at #11. Didn't want to put it in the list if I didn't finish it.

blzzzrrttt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welp, that wrong deadline screwed Banner Saga out of my top 10! Got to the last chapter, but I thought I was gonna miss the deadline so I just submitted my list with it at #11. Didn't want to put it in the list if I didn't finish it.

Hm, well the last battle is pretty awful. There's enough time to finish it off though.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can edit a list. The only reason it "finalizes" on Dec 31st is because that's when I run the code, until then, I haven't pulled anyone's lists and you're free to change them.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: end of day 31st! U.S. central time.

awesome thank you!

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatfrood: Okay, great! I'll go ahead and finish the game right now, and I'll see if that last battle sours it enough for me to keep it off the top 10!

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#227  Edited By Seikenfreak

Hmm didnt know this was a thing til seeing this post. Is this what Jeff was talking about? Them discussing peoples lists next year? Or is this your own thing?

Hope I was able to submit to the google doc in time.

Seikenfreak's Top 10 Games for 2014

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Banner Saga is done. I'm going to have to think about whether or not it knocks Hearthstone off my list...

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

Doing this list made me realize I only played exactly 10 games this year (that came out this year, anyway). That's unfortunate.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

I went through this exercise to better understand how hard it is to come up with a top 10 list. So here it is.

I also accidentally submitted a garbage link the first time, but hopefully the correct one went through the second time.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've finalized my list. I know you were all waiting with bated breath to know what the actual top 10 games from this year are.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By Slag

My List is finally up, still don't feel terribly confident about it, but hey it's time to pull the trigger.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My top 15 list. Was locked up a couple of days ago. Bunch of indy stuff here because I play on a coal powered laptop and a 3DS

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THE LISTS ARE LOCKED.

Well, not quite, honestly if you snuck in a list between now and, say, midday tomorrow it's likely to still be counted, but after this point I make no promises! Expect to see results tomorrow afternoon! Thanks to everyone who participated! We've got over 400 lists!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for doing this. Can't wait for the results.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm being very sneaky. Here is my list.

Olqavtoras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excited to see the result!

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very interested to see this. Even though another Souls games (Dark Souls 1 was immediately mentioned and eliminated right?) failed to make the Giant Bomb Top 10 GOTY list I believe Dark Souls 2 is going to win the user top 10 with the number 1 spot.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

@golguin said:

Very interested to see this. Even though another Souls games (Dark Souls 1 was immediately mentioned and eliminated right?) failed to make the Giant Bomb Top 10 GOTY list I believe Dark Souls 2 is going to win the user top 10 with the number 1 spot.

This is why I love the way Giant Bomb releases the podcasts of their deliberations so you can get the context behind the decisions with the list. The result almost always is there are only about 4-5 consensus games among the group (and this happens with any site it seems like) and every other game that makes the list is the result of politics or who can scream the loudest for their pet games. And every year there is one decision at minimum that seems baffling.

For 2013, that was the way Super Mario 3D World, widely considered a top 4-5 game in most circles, went from a mortal lock to make the list to suddenly cut when none of the guys wanted to give up their pet indie game. This year's decision like that was Dragon Age: Inquisition, which seemed baffling given it's winning a good chunk of GotY awards around the web. But after listening to the podcast at least the logic behind what happened became clear: Matt Rorie wrote the review for Dragon Age, and wasn't there to advocate for it. With him not there, you had Jeff who had finished the game and wasn't a super big fan of it, Patrick who was 15 hours in and wanted to save his energy for Divinity (and amusingly had to give that one up as well to placate Brad with Destiny), and Vinny who wasn't that far in either. With nobody there as an authority to debate Jeff, they had to give it up.

The original Dark Souls didn't even make top 10 the year it came out between stiff competition and the fact Vinny was the only big fan of the series at that point. If you redid that list now, it'd be top 5 between Vinny, Brad, and Dan. With Dark Souls 2, what happened was for the purpose of a site top 10, it seemed hard for any of the guys to muster up the energy to lobby for it when everyone but Dan thought it was a big step back from the original.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin: really think so?

I think my money is still on Mordor from the users from what I've seen so far (I've looked at about 40 lists or so), definitely think DS2 will be in the top 10 and probably top 5 though.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cav829 said:

@golguin said:

This is why I love the way Giant Bomb releases the podcasts of their deliberations so you can get the context behind the decisions with the list. The result almost always is there are only about 4-5 consensus games among the group (and this happens with any site it seems like) and every other game that makes the list is the result of politics or who can scream the loudest for their pet games. And every year there is one decision at minimum that seems baffling.

For 2013, that was the way Super Mario 3D World, widely considered a top 4-5 game in most circles, went from a mortal lock to make the list to suddenly cut when none of the guys wanted to give up their pet indie game. This year's decision like that was Dragon Age: Inquisition, which seemed baffling given it's winning a good chunk of GotY awards around the web. But after listening to the podcast at least the logic behind what happened became clear: Matt Rorie wrote the review for Dragon Age, and wasn't there to advocate for it. With him not there, you had Jeff who had finished the game and wasn't a super big fan of it, Patrick who was 15 hours in and wanted to save his energy for Divinity (and amusingly had to give that one up as well to placate Brad with Destiny), and Vinny who wasn't that far in either. With nobody there as an authority to debate Jeff, they had to give it up.

The original Dark Souls didn't even make top 10 the year it came out between stiff competition and the fact Vinny was the only big fan of the series at that point. If you redid that list now, it'd be top 5 between Vinny, Brad, and Dan. With Dark Souls 2, what happened was for the purpose of a site top 10, it seemed hard for any of the guys to muster up the energy to lobby for it when everyone but Dan thought it was a big step back from the original.

I think the interesting things about Dark Souls 1 is that most video game media type people "found" the game after it had already been figured out with very detailed guides and lore explanations. This time around they had early access to the game and there was nowhere they could go to understand what was happening with the lore or how to overcome certain challenges *coughShrineofAmanacough*. Artorias of the Abyss was already in the PC version so everyone jumping into the game was able to experience the best part of the DS1. From what was said in the podcast it seems like NO ONE played the DS2 DLC, which was the best content in that game.

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

Decided against putting The Fall in at the last minute because I'm fairly happy with the list...but damn that game was good. Thanks Vinny.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Oh hey, I'm a fucking dolt. For some reason I'd convinced myself the deadline was 5/1/15. And only noticed after I'd submitted my list. Hah. Oh well, it was a bad list anyway. I think I only played 11 games that came out in 2014.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for pastor_richards
pastor_richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers