#1 Edited by ThatFrood (3373 posts) -

VOTING IS CLOSED. RESULTS ARE HERE.

Hello, do you like videogames and opinions? YOU'RE IN LUCK, BECAUSE IT'S TIME FOR ANNUAL GIANTBOMB COMMUNITY FORUM GOTY 2013 LIST TABULATION AND AGGREGATION!!

Past year's goty user list tabulations exist, they are:

and

But that was the past! And now, it's the future the present! You have played new videogames and have new opinions! You want to tell the world just how good Papers Please was, and you want that information broken down to discrete quantities, aggregated and lost in a sea of data, then regurgitated back to a wider audience!

Here is how this is going to work, please read this as the methodology has changed (for the better!)

Okay as you may or may not know the website went under a revision and my old code for scraping the list data doesn't work. So it has been rewritten.

This means nothing to you!

But! What is important is that you no longer need to give your GOTY list a specific title, name it whatever you like!

How can this be?

It's simple, once your list is created, get the url from the address bar and tell it to me, via this google doc.

The url should look something like this:

I.E. "your profile name"/lists/"whatever you called the list"/"some number nonsense"

I encourage you to make a placeholder list now with a title you are happy with and submit it right away, so you don't forget. You can then edit and add on to the list at your leisure up until I run the code.

FAQ

how many games in my list?: as many as you like! I'll only count the first ten though. If you have fewer than ten, I'll only count those that you have.

can I make an unordered list?: no.

what am I doing?: you're making an ordered user list of your favorite games you played this year, and submitting the url to this google doc.

when will results be posted?: end of december.

when are lists due?: December 30th

can I submit games not from 2013?: Yeah, I'm not gonna arrest you.

can I edit my list after I submitted it?: You absolutely can.

where should I send my goty list url?: this google doc.

what should my goty be?: Papers Please.

And that's it

Just send me the list url via the google doc. this google doc.

When the last day of december rolls around, I will post the results! Let's get a big turn out, tell your friends, tell your family, tell your dog.

No promises, but I'm also looking to get the data onto an external website so you can browse it easily and compare what users liked the games you liked! Or liked the games you didn't like! We'll see how things go with that, websites are hard.

#2 Edited by SgtSphynx (1241 posts) -

If the results will be posted at the end of December, what is the cutoff date for lists?

#3 Edited by ThatFrood (3373 posts) -

@sgtsphynx said:

If the results will be posted at the end of December, what is the cutoff date for lists?

Let's say December 30th.

#4 Posted by SgtSphynx (1241 posts) -

Cool, I will let my sober self consider the list then.

#5 Posted by TheHT (10810 posts) -

Not to be confused with the GotG aggregate list!

#6 Edited by ThatFrood (3373 posts) -

@theht said:

Not to be confused with the GotG aggregate list!

Good point! Yeah, I waited to post this thread longer than I usually did for fear that in the inundation of *Blank* of the Generation lists it would get lost.

Hopefully the list fatigue hasn't set in too strongly!

#7 Posted by Asky314159 (58 posts) -

Yay, this is my favorite part of GOTY!

#8 Posted by BeachThunder (11649 posts) -

Yay!

I'm going to name it GOTY 2013 anyway >_>

I think my list is probably done, but I do feel like I should play Brothers first though.

#9 Posted by bigjeffrey (4711 posts) -

sent, i've played jack shit in 2013 releases though.

#10 Posted by Hailinel (23692 posts) -

Done and done!

#11 Posted by Xavtron (102 posts) -

Awesome, I always enjoy seeing what the community as a whole picks, even though I think its pretty obvious what no 1 will be this year

#12 Posted by dr_mantas (1761 posts) -

YES! I was waiting for this!

#13 Posted by BeachThunder (11649 posts) -

@xavtron said:

Awesome, I always enjoy seeing what the community as a whole picks, even though I think its pretty obvious what no 1 will be this year

Wait, are we talking about BioShock Infinite or Last of Us? Or something else?

#14 Posted by Hailinel (23692 posts) -

@xavtron said:

Yeah, this doesn't really strike me as a year with an obvious winner.

#15 Posted by Xavtron (102 posts) -

I think for the community, its definitely the Last of Us (not my personal choice), I think overall it will be high or at the top of more lists than any other game.

Also I think we should post the links to our lists here so that people can have a look.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/xavtron/lists/goty-2013/86277

#17 Posted by dr_mantas (1761 posts) -
#18 Posted by Xavtron (102 posts) -

@dr_mantas: Yeah mine's pretty close to final, I'd really like to finish Paper's Please and try to dig into Europa Universalis IV

#19 Posted by Hailinel (23692 posts) -

@dr_mantas: I totally forgot that Heart of the Swarm came out this year.

Here's my list. I'd post it directly into the thread using the WSYIWYG editor, but it's tossing ordered lists completely out of order for some reason.

#20 Posted by ThatFrood (3373 posts) -

@beachthunder said:

@xavtron said:

Brothers.

#21 Posted by Animasta (14641 posts) -
#22 Posted by BeachThunder (11649 posts) -
#23 Edited by spilledmilkfactory (1825 posts) -
#24 Posted by Xavtron (102 posts) -

@spilledmilkfactory: nice, I'm pretty high on the Swapper too, personally, I discount things like HD remakes etc from my lists as things that didn't come out this year.

#25 Posted by Xavtron (102 posts) -

@thatfrood said:

@beachthunder said:

@xavtron said:

Brothers.

I hope you're continuing the ongoing brothers jokes, because I really don't see it being brothers, not as widely played and I think there were enough people (like me) who found it lacking and over-hyped.

#26 Edited by TheMasterDS (2009 posts) -
#27 Posted by ThatFrood (3373 posts) -

@xavtron said:

@thatfrood said:

@beachthunder said:

@xavtron said:

Brothers.

I hope you're continuing the ongoing brothers jokes, because I really don't see it being brothers, not as widely played and I think there were enough people (like me) who found it lacking and over-hyped.

Yes, I am in fact joking.

#28 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5138 posts) -
#29 Edited by TheMasterDS (2009 posts) -

I hope the final list resembles my personal list that was posted earlier. That's always my hope when I make my list! Probably a good chance of it this year since Bioshock and The Last of Us were quite well regarded. Really hope GTAV doesn't do all that well. I mean it wasn't bad, it did some things real well, but it also had a vile personality. Plus there are so many other games that deserve to be on top 10s this year! More than 10 of them in fact! Saints Row, Stanley Parable & Rayman to name 3 that did not make my top 10.

Other than that I feel good about the odds of the right games getting love.

#30 Posted by dr_mantas (1761 posts) -

I like that everyone's list is pretty different, even though there are some shared favorites.

#31 Edited by TheHT (10810 posts) -

can I submit games not from 2013?: Yeah, I'm not gonna arrest you.

You're awesome. Half of my favourite games this year aren't actually from this year.

#32 Posted by Xavtron (102 posts) -

@xavtron said:

@thatfrood said:

@beachthunder said:

@xavtron said:

Brothers.

Yes, I am in fact joking.

Thought so, it is pretty much my favourite running joke through giantbomb right now, I also can't wait for the discussion on the end of year podcasts.

#33 Posted by Xavtron (102 posts) -

As an aside, I'd also like to note that the discussion surrounding gaming top 10s here is so much more constructive and friendly than the movie side of things (I am a very active movie viewer). A lot of movie top 10s often come across as being authoritative and dismissive of others' views and criticisms, with some inclusions feeling more like making a statement than the authors honest opinion. Kudos to the gaming community for being more level headed and celebrating the differences in opinions.

#34 Posted by Winternet (8002 posts) -

If Stanley Parable doesn't win, you've all failed as a tangentially-video-game-related community.

#35 Edited by HH (595 posts) -
#36 Posted by BeachThunder (11649 posts) -

If Stanley Parable doesn't win, you've all failed as a tangentially-video-game-related community.

Winternet was really upset with the choices of the Giant Bomb community. He decided to make a post to let everyone know how he felt.

#37 Edited by JacDG (2113 posts) -

This is a list of 2013 games I've played this year: http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/jacdg/lists/2013-games-i-ve-played/83664 and this is how I rank them:

GOTY 2013

1. The Last of Us
2. Tomb Raider
3. BioShock Infinite
4. DmC Devil May Cry
5. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist
6. Grand Theft Auto V
7. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
8. Crysis 3
9. Remember Me
10. Saints Row IV

Still need to play Guacamelee! before the list is final. Really would have liked to have played the new Ratchet and Clank as well as Beyond: Two Souls as I'm sure they would have made the list, but I didn't have the time nor the money or the desire to play anymore games this year.

#38 Posted by dr_mantas (1761 posts) -

@animasta: do you recommend playing Zeno Clash 2? I really enjoyed the first one and was thinking of buying the humble weekly sale that has it. How long is it?

#39 Edited by Dixavd (1293 posts) -

So just to make perfectly sure:

• I can make a list and give it any title.
  • Then copy that url to the google doc.
  • Then I can do whatever I want with the list of games (editing, re-ording, rewriting, completely changing) as long as the title stays the same.

So I can start one now, and then possibly change all of it after Christmas when I've played way more games (as long as I change it before December 30th) it will still count?

-Edit- Time moves too quickly?! Here's the final list that I spent a while deliberating on.

#40 Posted by ThatFrood (3373 posts) -
#41 Posted by Dixavd (1293 posts) -

@thatfrood: Fantastic, thanks. Made one and sent it off. :D

#42 Posted by ThatFrood (3373 posts) -
#43 Posted by Animasta (14641 posts) -

@animasta: do you recommend playing Zeno Clash 2? I really enjoyed the first one and was thinking of buying the humble weekly sale that has it. How long is it?

if you really enjoyed the first one get to it! it's about... 6-8 hours, it gets higher if you decide to collect all of the cubes (which you want to do because it leads you to a super interesting cave that tells you things).

#44 Edited by Nev (539 posts) -
#45 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1664 posts) -

Excited to do this again this year. Still working on my list, but I built a placeholder, threw like 15 games on it, and submitted it to the Google Doc so I don't forget.

#46 Posted by Kaiserreich (681 posts) -
#47 Edited by Sessh (691 posts) -

Glad this is happening again, because I'm always curious about what everyone else here is thinking.

Added the list to the doc and here it is again for viewing, with some added thoughts and considerations:

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/sessh/lists/goty-2013/87543

Feel free to comment.

Also, curse you all if DmC doesn't make the Top 10.

#48 Edited by Jabbawocky (67 posts) -
#49 Edited by FLStyle (4538 posts) -
#50 Posted by L1GHTN1N (436 posts) -

Here's mine

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/l1ghtn1n/lists/goty-2013/87550

Looking through others' lists there doesn't seem to be a clear winner, a lot of variety throughout which is always good to see. Will be interested in seeing how Beyond and Heart of the Swarm do. Opinions when it came about seemed incredibly mixed about Beyond (still not sure how I feel about it), and HotS seemed to fall off a lot faster than I was expecting it to.

Also wasn't expecting to see Remember Me appear on anyone's lists though glad it did. It didn't grab me in any meaningful way but I can definitely see what would be appealing about it.