Giantbomb Community Forum GOTY 2013 List Aggregation!!

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

10. Xenoblade Chronicles

9. Rayman Fiesta Run

8. Hitman: Absolution

7. Dragon Age: Origins

6. Dishonoured

5.Devil may Cry

4.Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

3. Bioshock Infinite

2. The Walking Dead

1. Super Mario Galaxy

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Thanks for putting this together again, duder!

majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By DeadpanCakes

It's probably stupid to submit mine's considering a majority of the games on my list are not from this year, but whatever.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#56 Mento  Moderator

Well, this would explain why there's been so many GOTY lists popping up in my notifications today. Thanks again for all your hard work, ThatFrood. May your statistical analyses be correct within an acceptable number of standard deviations. At least I think that's all statistics talk, it's been a while since stats class.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#57  Edited By Y2Ken

Still got a few games to finish: currently in the middle of wrapping up GTA, then I'm going back to Last of Us and am also currently working my way through ACIV. Played Brothers last weekend and The Swapper this; but still a few things left before my list is final. Once it's done, though, I'll be sure to pop it in here. Always great to see how people felt about all these different games. Thanks for doing this! =]

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#58  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@majormitch: Yeah, it's tough to know how to take into consideration these large scale expansions.

I'd say that HotS is definitely worthy of GotY consideration since it's tantamount to being a full sequel - a new and distinct campaign along with numerous multiplayer additions and changes. I'm personally inclined to say that stuff like Brave New World and XCOM: Enemy Within, although they do add significant new mechanics and content, don't do enough to distinguish themselves from the main game to be GotY list material.

The bigger question is whether or not Dota 2 counts.

streetninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#59  Edited By streetninja

I still plan on playing SR4 and AC4, and I'd like to play Splinter Cell.

GOTY is DOTA 2 btw.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#60  Edited By thatfrood

@majormitch said:

Always enjoy this. To clarify, will expansion packs like Heart of the Swarm and Brave New World be counted?

Yep.

To clarify: I count everything. Even if you submitted a browser game. My logic is that if it meant enough to you that year to include in your goty list, then include it, I won't stop you.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-629e884eb03d8
deactivated-629e884eb03d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@majormitch said:

Always enjoy this. To clarify, will expansion packs like Heart of the Swarm and Brave New World be counted?

Yep.

To clarify: I count everything. Even if you submitted a browser game. My logic is that if it meant enough to you that year to include in your goty list, then include it, I won't stop you.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH BROWSER GAMES? There were a bunch of great Browser games this year D:

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatfrood said:

@majormitch said:

Yep.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH BROWSER GAMES? There were a bunch of great Browser games this year D:

I'VE SEEN GOOD MEN DIE.

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#66  Edited By retrovirus
rlhyeung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

happymeowmeow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
Avatar image for pistolpackinpoet
PistolPackinPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

Damn I don't even know if I played ten games this year

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Last time I managed to list at least two games, this year I only played a single proper 2013 game. With all the sales going on, I am constantly 1,5 to 2 years behind.

That Nintendo doorstop 2DS is looking more attractive every month …

cfilipec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#75  Edited By SubwayD
Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agodzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Agodzo
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/turboman/lists/the-turbies-goty-2013/87669

BOOM. BOOM. BOOM.

The Turbies: GOTY 2013

1. The Last of Us
The Last of Us is the best game of the year by a mile. After the last few years of a Protagonist that tries to save the world/universe, it's extremely refreshing to have one who's extremely relatable and is only trying to get the end with his own best interests taken care of. The gameplay is extremely engaging and dynamic, forcing you to constantly improvise your tactics on the fly instead of just sitting behind a wall and waiting for the enemy AI to be dumb. Also, the online multiplayer is extremely well implemented and caused me to lose about 100 hours to this game.
2. Guacamelee!
Very beautiful Metroidvania style game that never really took itself too seriously. Great 2D combat system and platforming throughout.
3. Resogun
Online Leaderboards!!!! Brilliant game to show off the hardware with. Seeing voxels exploding all around the place makes for a very impressive Tech Demo. Also, it's really fun. HOT TIP: Boost + Throw Human will launch that fucker across the map.
4. BioShock Infinite
The overall story of this game drew me in and forced me to finish this game in two sittings. I found some of the late game combat a little dull (fuck those ghosts), but the hook mechanic mixed in with the tears mechanic livened up the ol' FPS Genre.
5. Papers, Please
How to make me feel like an asshole: The Game
6. Divekick
Guys, I was #2 online at Divekick at one point in time. I really enjoyed this game, especially with friends and alcohol.
7. Grand Theft Auto V
You know what's fun? Elaborate Heists. There's only about 6 of them in GTA V, but they are easily the best part of the entire game. We need some sort of heist game that's actually good (Payday doesn't count). Also I enjoyed the looseness of GTA V, bringing it back to San Andreas.
8. Game Dev Tycoon
I fucking loved Game Dev Story. I hate waiting for more of those games. Tycoon isn't perfect, but it still managed to get me to play it for a ton of hours this year.
9. Cook, Serve, Delicious!
Casual Game with RPG elements wrapped around it. I'm getting tired of writing descriptions for lists.
10. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
It's like Pokemon but it takes forever to get anything done!
raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#79  Edited By raidingkvatch

OK, I'm pretty sure this is my final list since I can't really afford to buy any more games until January anyway.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Gilby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#82  Edited By Gilby

Towerfall is easily my multiplayer GOTY.

I'm currently attending school for game design and every start of a new term we throw a party for the newbies starting their first term. At these parties there's always about 4 or 5 systems set up with various games, multiplayer staples such as SSBM, Street Fighter, Halo, etc. We also have tournaments for each game, and Melee always wind up the busiest and has the most people playing it, with people constantly trying to get the next empty controller even after the tournament is over. Nothing else has ever been as busy throughtout as the gamecube with Melee on it (makes sense, it's an incredibly well designed multiplayer game) until this last welcome party. Even though most of them had never played the game before people kept coming back to Towerfall.

It's amazing how little time it takes to learn and how long you can spend playing it. I've personally gotten lower marks on projects because I stayed too late playing it in the student lounge. I really hope the Giant Bomb Crew has played this game for a couple hours this year, Samurai Gunn is but a shadow of Towerfall's magnificence (the modifiers and dash-catching making the biggest differences).

nothingreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#84  Edited By nothingreal
megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Milkman

I was kind of surprised how hard it was for me to come up with a list of 10. I missed out on a lot of cool stuff this year, hopefully I can fix that but this is the list for now.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/milkman/lists/goty-2013/87712

GOTY 2013

1. The Last of Us
Really, any other choice would be stupid.
2. Cook, Serve, Delicious!
Technically a 2012 game but fuck y'all. Most fun I had with a game this year.
3. BioShock Infinite
A lot of shit has been talked about this game since it's release, some justified and some not but I don't really care. That Beach Boys cover is enough for a spot of my list.
4. Tomb Raider
The story goes some pretty stupid places but the game always remains fun.
5. Gone Home
Underrated aspect of this game: the awesome riot grrl songs scattered around the house.
6. DmC Devil May Cry
A thousand times more interesting than any other Devil May Cry game. Deal with it.
7. The Stanley Parable
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8
8. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
I can't name ten games better.
9. Saints Row IV
The side missions get real tiring but the main story is too damn good to ignore.
10. Papers, Please
I had zero fun playing Papers, Please but I guess that was the point.
Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Sil3n7

I love opinions. Give me more internet opinions.

1. The last of us

2. Bioshock infinite

3. Grand theft auto V

4. Super Mario 3d world

5. Zelda: a link between worlds

6. Fire emblem: awakening

7. Tomb raider

8. Assassins creed 4

9. Ni no kuni

10. The Stanley parable

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#88  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

My Ten Favorite Games of 2013

1. Gone Home http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/sgtsphynx/blog/an-introspective-look-that-stemmed-from-a-video-ga/102659/ The amount that this game impacted me meant I could not in good conscience place it anywhere else on this list. I realize that this game is not for everyone, and that some people would even question its classification as a game. I am not one of those people, and this is my list. The way the story unfolds as you explore the house is excellent, plus you have the implied side stories that unless you examine everything you will completely miss.
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds This game is tied with Link to the Past as my favorite Zelda game. I wonder if they learned anything about why this game and Link to the Past work so well and are so highly regarded.
3. The Last of Us Joel made the right choice at the end.
4. Saints Row IV In the past couple years of shitty endings, Saints Row IV fucking nailed it; I can't think of a better way to end the series.
5. Gunpoint The puzzle aspect of the gameplay is excellent.
6. Far Cry 3 One of my favorite characters comes from this game, even if he dies halfway in, plus climbing and crafting was fun.
7. Rogue Legacy It's amazing how good it feels when you have that great run and kill 3 bosses before dying.
8. Shadowrun Returns Good game and the gameplay scratched that itch that XCOM scratched last year.
9. Antichamber Not much of a story if there is one, but I love puzzle games and exploring the game was fun.
10. The Stanley Parable The writing and narration in this game is top notch.

Just finished my preliminary top ten, gonna revisit it next week after playing one or two more games, but it'll do for now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By thatfrood

When you are submitting your link to the google doc, please do not submit this: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1gmfALZ21DsUm0-OaQ4v6GYc10xLneQzYJbfIC3rlIWs/viewform

That is just a link to the google doc. That doesn't help me. I need the url of your user list.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#93  Edited By asmo917

Here's my list. I left a lot of games I really loved off of it to get down to 10.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/asmo917/lists/game-of-the-year-of-2013/86305

TheFakePsychic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 18

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

alishcra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#96  Edited By alishcra

I know this might be a stupid question, so let say am stupid. But also let's say what if one the games I played this year is steam early access can that be on my goty list?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@alishcra said:

I know this might be a stupid question, so let say am stupid. But also let's say what if one the games I played this year is steam early access can that be on my goty list?

ThatFrood says you can list anything at all, but personally, I wouldn't consider those to be finished games. For example, DOTA 2 is a 2013 game because it was officially given a full release this year.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By thatfrood

@beachthunder said:

@alishcra said:

ThatFrood says you can list anything at all, but personally, I wouldn't consider those to be finished games. For example, DOTA 2 is a 2013 game because it was officially given a full release this year.

You're both right, but yes, you can include early access games. Obviously, the desired order of things is to submit games that came out, officially, this year. But at the same time the nature of this means you can submit whatever you like, as the aggregate always bears out. Out of a total of 300+ lists, your inclusion of your cat as your favorite game of the year will have no real effect. I'd prefer your list be personal and meaningful to you. Even if it's a bunch of stupid bullshit.

Basically, what I'm saying is submit what you feel meant the most to you in 2013. Hell, I have Earthbound on my list.

Additionally, aside from manually, I really have no good way of policing you.

studsmckewl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27