Giantbomb Going Concern

mech4399

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By mech4399

has anyone else seen anymore ads for the site? ever since the gears of war 2 ads, i have not seen anything else. i kinda worried that they are not getting more money to run the place.

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Thrawn1

i think they'd let us know if they were in trouble. it's a very small team, keep that in mind.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#3  Edited By Vinchenzo
mech4399 said:
"has anyone else seen anymore ads for the site? ever since the gears of war 2 ads, i have not seen anything else. i kinda worried that they are not getting more money to run the place."
Don't worry about it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'll donate my body to medical science for Giant Bomb!

mech4399

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mech4399

yeah, but still. they have been operating for several months now and im sure burning through some cash. if they do get into trouble i hope they tell us early so we can try and help them. 

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Coltonio7

Yeah...seems like they're doing great. Don't worry man, they're big boys.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By mike
mech4399 said:
"yeah, but still. they have been operating for several months now and im sure burning through some cash. if they do get into trouble i hope they tell us early so we can try and help them. "

If you want to help, buy some stuff from the Giant Bomb store.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By BiggerBomb

MB. That's it? You should have said...:

MB said:

"mech4399 said:
"yeah, but still. they have been operating for several months now and im sure burning through some cash. if they do get into trouble i hope they tell us early so we can try and help them. "

If you want to help, buy everything from the GiantBomb store. Once every last piece of merchandise has vanished, you must forfeit all of your networth and donate it to Luchadeer. Only then, will you have contributed to GiantBomb."

I expect more from you next time.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
MB said:
"mech4399 said:

If you want to help, buy some stuff from the Giant Bomb store."
They make great christmas presents :)
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pause422

Yep, get a GB hoodie then(in a discussion from the otherday) run around an airport near you with it, maybe holding a business briefcast, and if you get caught and flagged down, show some proof and I'll send 50$ your way!

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gameboi

I've  too have been wondering what their business model looks like, since ads are nowhere to be found.  I honestly love this place, and hope to see it around for a long, long time. Like I said when I first joined, the software is phenomenal.  You guys aren't too bad, either ;-)

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By StaticFalconar

well, the store is up, so if you really want to give them business, buy some shit.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By dsplayer1010

I haven't seen any lately either. As far as I know, there's nothing to worry about.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince

I think they're set. That's also one thing that's good about Giant Bomb. It feels like a group of friends rather then being in a giant corporate run site...

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By bwooduhs

Just to let you know in the accounting world the term 'Going Concern' actually means a buisness will continue it's operations into the forseeable future.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Player1

It suprises me more people aren't jumping t advertise here. It seems like the guys have a good relationships with alot of game company's. Maybe people are waiting for the site to grow a tiny bit.

But like people have mentioned, small team + most games free + most equipment payed for + groupies to pay for food= a kickass website, that is doing just fine.

elektrixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

#18  Edited By elektrixx

I haven't seen any ad at all.

thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By thordain

Jeff has said two or three times that GB is gonna be alright, so just calm down.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By get2sammyb

I also expected a constant stream of advertising post the Gears banners.

It is worrying because not only do they have to pay rent, electricity, heating bills etc for their HQ, the four of them also have to receive a wage, alongside the team that maintain the ACTUAL site which I'd presume takes the number of people working for GB to about 8 or 9. Then you have all the huge start up costs (watch How To Build A Bomb).

THEN YOU HAVE THE BANDWIDTH. Everytime someone downloads an image, listens to a podcast, loads a forum page, or watches a video, that essentially costs the team money (unless I have the Internetz all wrong) and while I'd imagine they're kitted out to deal with everything it's not going to be cheap.

I can't see who they're making any money to be honest.

drakesfortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By drakesfortune

I'm surprised they don't run ads on the Bombcast.  It worries me greatly when sites and podcasts don't have ads to keep it coming.  I'm also worried about my 1up podcasts for this reason.  I can't believe publishers wouldn't want to advertise in the podcast space.  They have a captive audience of hardcore gamers.  I can't think of a better place to advertise and build up interest amongst the most loyal of gamers.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hexpane
StaticFalconar said:
"well, the store is up, so if you really want to give them business, buy some shit."
He got that right, sites can make some serious bank selling sweatshirts and other mcguillicutties.
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By super_machine

I'm pretty sure they get by dancing on the street corner for spare change.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By get2sammyb
Hexpane said:
"StaticFalconar said:
"well, the store is up, so if you really want to give them business, buy some shit."
He got that right, sites can make some serious bank selling sweatshirts and other mcguillicutties."
Not with $25 international shipping. They need to try drive that down. $15 is more realistic, when I can buy CD's with posters and Tshirts packaged from the US and get $15 shipping.

I appreciate the hoodies take up more space and are heavier but... really... $25 shipping for a Tshirt? That's like £13. I'm sorry but much as I want to buy a GiantBomb shirt, I just cannot afford that. :(
serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By serbsta
TeflonBilly said:
"I'll donate my body to medical science for Giant Bomb!"
Slow down there big boy!
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#26  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Buy!  Buy!  Sell!  Sell!

Personally, I want a GiantBomb blimp.  Or a zeppelin.  Yeahhh..... just a gigantic zeppelin with "GiantBomb!" on the side.  Now that's a way to get the attention of the Air Force.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jayge_

Well, to be honest, GB's community isn't quite viable as a group to advertise to, is it? Pay 50 grand for a bunch of ads that people will either adblock or ignore immediately, on a site full of contrarian, opinionated users who don't give a flying shit either way.

But uh... just keep on pouring money in, EA, Activision, Epic, you know. Disregard the above sentences.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kohe321

If they were in trouble they would tell us, I think. And there is more server traffic now than ever (according to jeff?, one of them said so in a video the other day here). Giantbomb is doing fine, it's getting better and better by the day!

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bwooduhs
get2sammyb said:
"Hexpane said:
"StaticFalconar said:
He got that right, sites can make some serious bank selling sweatshirts and other mcguillicutties."
Not with $25 international shipping. They need to try drive that down. $15 is more realistic, when I can buy CD's with posters and Tshirts packaged from the US and get $15 shipping.

I appreciate the hoodies take up more space and are heavier but... really... $25 shipping for a Tshirt? That's like £13. I'm sorry but much as I want to buy a GiantBomb shirt, I just cannot afford that. :("
We need a ' Best of Bombcast' CD.