#1 Posted by mech4399 (106 posts) -

has anyone else seen anymore ads for the site? ever since the gears of war 2 ads, i have not seen anything else. i kinda worried that they are not getting more money to run the place.

#2 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -

i think they'd let us know if they were in trouble. it's a very small team, keep that in mind.

#3 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
mech4399 said:
"has anyone else seen anymore ads for the site? ever since the gears of war 2 ads, i have not seen anything else. i kinda worried that they are not getting more money to run the place."
Don't worry about it.
#4 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

I'll donate my body to medical science for Giant Bomb!

#5 Posted by mech4399 (106 posts) -

yeah, but still. they have been operating for several months now and im sure burning through some cash. if they do get into trouble i hope they tell us early so we can try and help them. 

#6 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -

Yeah...seems like they're doing great. Don't worry man, they're big boys.

#7 Posted by MB (11884 posts) -
mech4399 said:
"yeah, but still. they have been operating for several months now and im sure burning through some cash. if they do get into trouble i hope they tell us early so we can try and help them. "

If you want to help, buy some stuff from the Giant Bomb store.
#8 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

MB. That's it? You should have said...:

MB said:

"mech4399 said:
"yeah, but still. they have been operating for several months now and im sure burning through some cash. if they do get into trouble i hope they tell us early so we can try and help them. "

If you want to help, buy everything from the GiantBomb store. Once every last piece of merchandise has vanished, you must forfeit all of your networth and donate it to Luchadeer. Only then, will you have contributed to GiantBomb."

I expect more from you next time.
#9 Posted by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -
MB said:
"mech4399 said:

If you want to help, buy some stuff from the Giant Bomb store."
They make great christmas presents :)
#10 Posted by pause422 (6169 posts) -

Yep, get a GB hoodie then(in a discussion from the otherday) run around an airport near you with it, maybe holding a business briefcast, and if you get caught and flagged down, show some proof and I'll send 50$ your way!

#11 Posted by Gameboi (653 posts) -

I've  too have been wondering what their business model looks like, since ads are nowhere to be found.  I honestly love this place, and hope to see it around for a long, long time. Like I said when I first joined, the software is phenomenal.  You guys aren't too bad, either ;-)

#12 Posted by Gorillawhat (1259 posts) -
#13 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

well, the store is up, so if you really want to give them business, buy some shit.

#14 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

I haven't seen any lately either. As far as I know, there's nothing to worry about.

#15 Posted by LiquidPrince (15833 posts) -

I think they're set. That's also one thing that's good about Giant Bomb. It feels like a group of friends rather then being in a giant corporate run site...

#16 Posted by bwooduhs (1616 posts) -

Just to let you know in the accounting world the term 'Going Concern' actually means a buisness will continue it's operations into the forseeable future.

#17 Posted by Player1 (3850 posts) -

It suprises me more people aren't jumping t advertise here. It seems like the guys have a good relationships with alot of game company's. Maybe people are waiting for the site to grow a tiny bit.

But like people have mentioned, small team + most games free + most equipment payed for + groupies to pay for food= a kickass website, that is doing just fine.

#18 Posted by elektrixx (308 posts) -

I haven't seen any ad at all.

#19 Posted by Thordain (959 posts) -

Jeff has said two or three times that GB is gonna be alright, so just calm down.

#20 Edited by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

I also expected a constant stream of advertising post the Gears banners.

It is worrying because not only do they have to pay rent, electricity, heating bills etc for their HQ, the four of them also have to receive a wage, alongside the team that maintain the ACTUAL site which I'd presume takes the number of people working for GB to about 8 or 9. Then you have all the huge start up costs (watch How To Build A Bomb).

THEN YOU HAVE THE BANDWIDTH. Everytime someone downloads an image, listens to a podcast, loads a forum page, or watches a video, that essentially costs the team money (unless I have the Internetz all wrong) and while I'd imagine they're kitted out to deal with everything it's not going to be cheap.

I can't see who they're making any money to be honest.

#21 Posted by drakesfortune (286 posts) -

I'm surprised they don't run ads on the Bombcast.  It worries me greatly when sites and podcasts don't have ads to keep it coming.  I'm also worried about my 1up podcasts for this reason.  I can't believe publishers wouldn't want to advertise in the podcast space.  They have a captive audience of hardcore gamers.  I can't think of a better place to advertise and build up interest amongst the most loyal of gamers.

#22 Posted by Hexpane (1397 posts) -
StaticFalconar said:
"well, the store is up, so if you really want to give them business, buy some shit."
He got that right, sites can make some serious bank selling sweatshirts and other mcguillicutties.
#23 Posted by super_machine (1929 posts) -

I'm pretty sure they get by dancing on the street corner for spare change.

#24 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -
Hexpane said:
"StaticFalconar said:
"well, the store is up, so if you really want to give them business, buy some shit."
He got that right, sites can make some serious bank selling sweatshirts and other mcguillicutties."
Not with $25 international shipping. They need to try drive that down. $15 is more realistic, when I can buy CD's with posters and Tshirts packaged from the US and get $15 shipping.

I appreciate the hoodies take up more space and are heavier but... really... $25 shipping for a Tshirt? That's like £13. I'm sorry but much as I want to buy a GiantBomb shirt, I just cannot afford that. :(
#25 Posted by serbsta (1867 posts) -
TeflonBilly said:
"I'll donate my body to medical science for Giant Bomb!"
Slow down there big boy!
#26 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6036 posts) -

Buy!  Buy!  Sell!  Sell!

Personally, I want a GiantBomb blimp.  Or a zeppelin.  Yeahhh..... just a gigantic zeppelin with "GiantBomb!" on the side.  Now that's a way to get the attention of the Air Force.

Moderator Online
#27 Posted by Jayge_ (10222 posts) -

Well, to be honest, GB's community isn't quite viable as a group to advertise to, is it? Pay 50 grand for a bunch of ads that people will either adblock or ignore immediately, on a site full of contrarian, opinionated users who don't give a flying shit either way.

But uh... just keep on pouring money in, EA, Activision, Epic, you know. Disregard the above sentences.

#28 Posted by Kohe321 (3522 posts) -

If they were in trouble they would tell us, I think. And there is more server traffic now than ever (according to jeff?, one of them said so in a video the other day here). Giantbomb is doing fine, it's getting better and better by the day!

#29 Posted by bwooduhs (1616 posts) -
get2sammyb said:
"Hexpane said:
"StaticFalconar said:
He got that right, sites can make some serious bank selling sweatshirts and other mcguillicutties."
Not with $25 international shipping. They need to try drive that down. $15 is more realistic, when I can buy CD's with posters and Tshirts packaged from the US and get $15 shipping.

I appreciate the hoodies take up more space and are heavier but... really... $25 shipping for a Tshirt? That's like £13. I'm sorry but much as I want to buy a GiantBomb shirt, I just cannot afford that. :("
We need a ' Best of Bombcast' CD.