#1 Edited by hauntingthedark (44 posts) -

I am not trolling when I say that it is my feeling that Giantbomb.com as a gaming website has got worse to the point when I don't know why I bother with the content anymore (and makes me want to write a forum post like this one).

As a paid member I see no reason to renew my subscription as I can't help but thing how lazy the team are. I am not putting it down do another "quite gaming period" because content for a gaming site doesn't always have to come from new games and quick looks for them. I just believe that they do very little in a week and haven't really offered anything fresh for months if not years.

I am sure to get cut down in the comments if anyone is that bothered but I doubt I will be that interested in reading views on how I am wrong. As I said before, I am not trolling, I am giving an honest opinion about the state of the website.

There used to be a day when I thought "great, a 3 hour podcast, why are Giantbomb the only ones who have a long podcast when everyone else barley passes the hour mark?". Not any more. I find it has got stale with the 40+minutes of ramblings that often have nothing to do with games. Its not entertaining and maybe it would be best for them to do an hour podcast with more structure. Again, that would probably mean more effort and all I see with the Giantbomb team are a bunch of guys who turn on the microphone and say whatever. No prep. No structure. Just a bloated mess with the odd bit of interesting information.

It's not like I don't like the team but every week when it comes round to Brad to update on what he's been doing or what he's been playing, he almost always comes across with a tired, bored, disinterested response, almost reluctant in his delivery as if he wasn't getting paid for his time or like he has been put on the spot so has very little to contribute. A lot of puffing and saying you didn't play anything or leave the house is not riveting. Maybe it would be a good Idea for the team to look at interesting articles, games, or ideas and make more of an effort to breath some life into the bloated old Bombcast.

I feel the same way about Drew. It seems after Ryan, Drew got in on Podcasts and again, I have nothing against him but he seems to always be talking about sport or some sort of running, gym or training exercise he did at the weekend. For me, he might as well tell me about how long he spent in the toilet and how many flushes there was. Dull. Give him credit, he does try to sound as big and as loud as some of the other guys but it just sounds forced.

The main reason I come here is for Jeff''s views and knowledge and usually when the 40+ minutes of talking food and other nonsense is over on the Bombcast, I often find some interesting stuff in what he says about games he's currently playing or games he has seen in demo etc. He is very knowledgeable and his Jar time videos can sometimes be one of the better things about the site although they are few and far between. I think he too could cut back on all the nonsense though as when he starts it just seems to spur the rest on until someone defuses the filler after a good half hour.

Another part of the site that really bothers me is the Unprofessional Fridays as it seems to be the most mundane show they could make. I have enjoyed watching them play games on the sofa for years and there is potential for some great content but every time I stay up late to watch Unprofessional Fridays (Kick off is usually 11.30pm in the UK) it is filled with the worst 'games' and a dull half hour is almost a given.

In the last few times I have watched it there seems to be no end to the extensive browser based games or that one which was basically moving the keys to highlight numbers that were supposed to represent characters in a RPG where all the battles are via the text meaning boredom for most people watching. There are to many crappy so called games that take up that show that I don't bother to stay up and might flick through the next day to see what they played. That usually ends up being a disappointment too as there will be a ton of games with the likes of Drew moving a mouse over a graph or speedometer or clicking and enabling buttons for some program he found online. Boring.

I know there was a show called Thursday Night Throw Down which had many 'normal' gaming moments. Whatever happened to that? too much effort is it?

I'm sure people would rather see games they have already played (Mortal Kombat, Burnout, Tony Hawk, etc) than much of what you get every Friday. Why don't they ever get the N64 out for some local multiplayer? That's just an example. Why don't they bring a game that they are enjoying at home and play a bit on the show and show people where they are and how they are liking it?

Also as I see it, Giantbomb is not every good or up today on the news front either. I just begin to wonder what they do all day. What is a typical day for the Giantbomb team. I can only assume that it is taking things at a very leisurely pace like you would see when they used to bother making those phone recorded I love Monday videos. Remember that? Remember how they'd rack there brains for content for the week? "I guess we could do something with that...maybe?" Don't sound so sure Giantbomb staff.

So just to end and repeat, this is not an attempt to be a big dirty troll, this is just a view from someone who has lost patience with this place I used to like. You may disagree with me but be honest, could these guys not be doing a better job of things especially as there are many loyal users who have paid money to help them keep doing (or maybe that should read NOT DOING) what they are doing?

Its not a valid argument to say the site is the way it is right now because there is a lack of new games, there are thousands of games that they could look back on and features they could write, film, introduce. The fact is that it doesn't suit the Giantbomb team to write a proper article or put in some more effort to take the site forward. They can sit around and talk for hours, not much else goes on.

Sorry if you feel offended. I have been 110% honest. Giantbomb.com needs to change. I can't ever see myself paying another penny towards the upkeep of this site if there is not a drastic change in how they go about things.

Thanks for reading.

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (14596 posts) -

Bye then.

#3 Posted by Rorie (2717 posts) -

Sorry you feel that way!

Staff
#4 Posted by Genfuyung (228 posts) -

What a joke.

#5 Edited by MetalThrashingMatt (209 posts) -

Deuces

#6 Edited by JJBSterling (169 posts) -

I understand the need to vent, but you're just going to get people telling you that nobody is forcing you to watch, and then people telling you how wrong you are.

#7 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Inb4 "we get this thread at least once a month"

I agree. I've not watched a lot of their shit recently. It's fallen off hard.

#8 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1539 posts) -

See you later!

@rorie: I'm glad you're on Giant Bomb now. And this site is great. So thanks for doing what you do!

#9 Posted by csl316 (8198 posts) -

Ah well, I've been enjoying a lot more lately than I have in the past. And 3 person Quick Looks have infused a bunch of energy into those.

Even the occasional stuff, like the Powerbombcast, Box Office Bomb, and not-Endurance Runs that take months (Volgar, DMC) have been fun.

Personally, I think the site is firing on all cylinders. Hitting a stride last year that they haven't had since Whiskey, even while short-staffed. I have a ton of content to catch up on, and if they expand this year it'll get even crazier.

So what I'm trying to say is see ya.

#10 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4646 posts) -

You come off as entitled and demanding; Though I do agree with a few points, I'm not going to type up a rant about the lack of organization and structure in an attempt to tell people how to do their job. They do what they enjoy and they're successful with it - people like it - if you don't then simply unsubscribe. Personally, I'm happy enough that I'll probably continue with monthly subscriptions until I feel compelled to either go for a year or cancel it altogether.

#11 Posted by Nightriff (4931 posts) -

I agree with some of your points but I still enjoy everything they do. Where two years ago I almost would rather watch them play something than play something myself, now I find myself skipping through the videos looking for good moments and playing something on my own. It is more the situation I'm in has changed and what they are doing just doesn't capture me like it used to. I know they will do something that will grab my attention (Vinny playing Dark Souls, Unplugged, etc) but until then I'm just happy to support them.

What I'll probably end up doing is when my sub ends I will cancel and every few months just buy a month of premium and grab all the content I want, unless there is a sale on the year subs at some point...

#12 Posted by big_jon (5710 posts) -

Bye! Very few of these are valid criticisms! Mostly just petty ramblings about how the people and content don't specifically apeal to you.

#13 Posted by ElixirBronze (418 posts) -
#14 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4934 posts) -

2 things.

1: "40+minutes of ramblings that often have nothing to do with games." That's how the Bombcast always was.

2: What is this "Thursday Night Throw Down" thing you're talking about?

#15 Edited by alanm26v5 (440 posts) -

I think you're totally right that if you're not enjoying what the site is doing, and/or feel it has changed from something you used to enjoy, that you shouldn't support it anymore.

My favorite thing about this site is that the staff has in a lot of freedom in how they cover games and produce content, and unless they do a really good job at hiding it, they're doing it in a way that they enjoy. It also happens to result in content that I enjoy so I'm more than happy to support them. Nothing feels forced. Yeah, I might miss something like the Thursday show, for example, but if they don't want to do it right now, then I can't imagine it would be fun for them or entertaining to watch if they felt like they had to.

#16 Posted by bmccann42 (97 posts) -

@hauntingthedark: Could not disagree with you more, and if you are choosing to leave I hope you find whatever site gives you what you are looking for. Personally the Giant Bomb crew have a sense of humour that works perfectly for me. They are mature, living their own lives, but still able to come in and produce content that rarely doesn't give me a smile or a laugh.

As it is a quiet moment in gaming, I am more than happy to see 3 hour plus streams of Dark Souls, Windjammers, Demon Souls, and anything else crazy they can think up. We have seen whole Endurance Runs now streamed, with out the actual term "Endurance Run" being uttered once. I have 0 desire to play DOTA, but can now say I have watched several hours of Brad playing through it, and while I will never play it I enjoyed my time watching it.

Suffice to say, if the site isn't working for you by all means go elsewhere. I really hope you find something that works for you. Myself, this site and its content/sense of humour/feeling of a real community is the site I spend hours on every week. I don't think I've ever been able to thank the guys for the enjoyment they give me on a daily basis, but I hope this message reaches them in some way.

#17 Posted by Rorie (2717 posts) -

For the record, we are looking at doing some hiring soon. It's been tough to find the people to do a lot of content over the last six-eight months (to the point where we had an engineer switching cameras in the control room for UPF for a long time, and even he wound up leaving the company). Now that we're coming around to a 2014 budget to hire some more people, we're hopeful that there'll be more content going up, including another round of Pathfinder and hopefully some new shows too. No guarantees that it'll all be to everyone's taste, and I don't have a specific timeline, but we do definitely appreciate your support for the site. 2013 wasn't an easy year for a lot of reasons but we're all hopeful that 2014 will bring some new energy.

Staff
#18 Posted by big_jon (5710 posts) -

Also, these new Vinny led podcasts have been golden! Turns out there are other things to talk about than videogames. Weird right? It's not like this has been a large part of the format since arrow pointing down.

#19 Posted by DannyHibiki (137 posts) -

Have you watched any of the old TNTs? If you think UPF gets boring....man....

#20 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1539 posts) -

@rorie said:

For the record, we are looking at doing some hiring soon. It's been tough to find the people to do a lot of content over the last six-eight months (to the point where we had an engineer switching cameras in the control room for UPF for a long time, and even he wound up leaving the company). Now that we're coming around to a 2014 budget to hire some more people, we're hopeful that there'll be more content going up, including another round of Pathfinder and hopefully some new shows too. No guarantees that it'll all be to everyone's taste, and I don't have a specific timeline, but we do definitely appreciate your support for the site. 2013 wasn't an easy year for a lot of reasons but we're all hopeful that 2014 will bring some new energy.

You're making me nervous, Rorie.

#21 Edited by RonGalaxy (2924 posts) -

Sorry you feel that way, but what's the point of making this overlong thread about it? To poison the well and make other users join you in complaining? Not how things work. Maybe to vent your frustration, but venting to an internet forum is as pointless as arguing to a brick wall. Venting to an internet forum about you not liking the site said forum is on is even worse (like arguing to the garbage compactor from star wars while it's closing in on you).

There was no point to this; you have accomplished nothing.

#22 Posted by bmccann42 (97 posts) -

@alwaysbebombing: I wouldn't worry about it too much, I would be shocked if one site could create content that satisfies every consumer. You would just end up with the blandest, least interesting shlock you could put together - the content equivalent of Wonder White bread.

Change is good, even if it is disruptive at first.

#23 Edited by Chaser324 (6349 posts) -

Sorry you feel that way OP, but thanks for keeping your criticism civil and trying to be constructive.

#24 Edited by Brodehouse (9654 posts) -

I respect that Patrick produces a lot of content... I'm just unhappy with the quality and the nature of it. I watched him play all of Chrono (and various scary games) because I wanted to see his reactions to it, but I just have no desire to watch his reactions to Spelunky or Dota or Souls. Really has more to do with the game than Patrick. However his articles make me grind my teeth; he wades into discussions he doesn't apply enough intellectual rigor to, and hearing smart, articulate people repeat things they haven't thought deeply on frustrates me. It reminds me of a younger me, and the intellectual mistakes I made.

The Bombcast is kind of shambles-y in its current disorganized state. Quick Looks I still watch because I want to know about current games.

I think that's a major problem I have with Patrick's increased direction on the site; it's less about games and more about either the 'industry' or the 'community'. I like fun games and I want fun content about them. When I want cultural critiques I will listen to people a hell of a lot smarter than I am, and I don't think Patrick qualifies.

I think overall the video stuff needs more PREPARATION. I'm not saying production quality, I'm saying preparation of content. As fun and charming the half-assed nature of the site is, streams are getting so half-assed that it makes me less motivated to watch. I love a long Quick Look, but the actual content/time ratio is getting pretty thin.

Edit: I suppose I add that my opinions are mine, you don't have to share them, and the site doesn't have to change to appease me. I am not entitled to them producing content I want. However I decided that I wasn't getting value out of my 60 dollars and these are my reasons why .

#25 Posted by Fear_the_Booboo (404 posts) -

@rorie: I would not want to be in your place. You seem to get a lot of critics. While some criticisism are deserverd, I feel like all of the Giant Bomb team are putting a lot of effort to make great content. I do not enjoy all of it, but I love most of the stuff you guys do. Continue the great work, I'm hopeful for the future.

... Basset Hounds are the best dogs exist on this earth, I need to say it...

#26 Posted by fanboyjustin (64 posts) -

i think giant bomb is doing the best work they have ever done. its hard loosing a core member but they have regrouped and I'm still loving it. I still love unprofessional Fridays best show on the site (other than the bombcast). I will agree with you I miss I love Mondays and hope that comes back when there are more people in the office.

Danny would make a great addition to the team (maybe share him more)

I also think the bombcast ramblings are the best part of the podcast

#27 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1539 posts) -

@bmccann42 said:

@alwaysbebombing: I wouldn't worry about it too much, I would be shocked if one site could create content that satisfies every consumer. You would just end up with the blandest, least interesting shlock you could put together - the content equivalent of Wonder White bread.

Change is good, even if it is disruptive at first.

White bread is pretty boring.

Really as long as the new content isn't all teaming up with Gamespot, I'll be good.

#28 Edited by big_jon (5710 posts) -

All I want GB to change in 2014 is

1. Fix the site, finally the video player is better, but there are still a huge number of issues like the notifications.

2. I'd love a proper endurance run to come back, some sort of classic game with two staff members at the helm.

3. More of these wacky Vinny podcasts, not all the time, but it's clear how much effort he's putting into these, and they're fun. Also bring back Will smith (Welcome to earth)

#29 Edited by RonGalaxy (2924 posts) -

@elixirbronze: what is there to discuss? He posted on the forum of a site he dislikes about why he dislikes it. What did he or anyone else expect? People who visit the site/read and comment on the forums probably like the site enough to disregard his complaints. There is nothing to discuss and nothing to be gained from this.

#30 Edited by ElixirBronze (418 posts) -

I think they might be really scared (maybe subconciously so) of pandering to their audience. Giant Bomb is a site they themselves claim is very much about "dumb shit", however they seem very adamant about not shoving this "dumb shit" down our throats. And I get the feeling they don't lean into that very much other than the occacional silly segment on UPF.

It wouldn't be Giant Bomb if it were four guys spouting jokes at each other for the entire time, likewise it wouldn't be Giant Bomb if they sat and talked informatively about games the entire time either. It's a difficult thing for them to balance of course. And wether or not they've been doing a good job of it lately is I guess up for debate, personally I think they may have wound down a little bit lately, and understandably so considering the all too recent, awful events.

#31 Edited by wjb (1645 posts) -

It really does sound like Giant Bomb isn't for you. And that's cool, but there may not be a ton of sympathy from some people because we get these kind of posts literally every other week. Especially with a thread title like that (really, dude?).

I've had my gripes about the Bombcast, too, but they're doing what a lot of people want: off-topic discussion. If they did anything less than 2 hours, they would get even more complaints. And if you don't think Drew is the Most Interesting Man in the World, then I don't know what to tell you. I find his weekend activities fascinating as hell. I agree, though, that since they're trying to entertain fans, they could think of stuff to talk about, but the weekend is theirs to do whatever they want. If Drew doesn't excite you, then the other guys don't stand a chance.

Brad is Brad. He's always going to be sleepy and/or irritable. That's just who he is. You're not the first person who has pointed this out, but no one at Giant Bomb seems to mind much. There was a time when it annoyed me as well, but I try not to focus on what irritates me and just try to enjoy the fun. It's not much of an excuse, I know, but there's a lot of things about Brad that I like. If I disliked everyone that annoyed me, then I would be a total misanthrope.

Unprofessional Fridays can be better. I think they're biggest problem is it sounds like everyone besides Drew picks something at the last minute. But not every show is going to be a club banger. I can imagine how hard it must be to constantly entertain everyone all the time. There's going to be some duds, and sometimes they won't know until they're playing it. It's the last thing they do at the end of the week, so I'm sure everyone is just tired, because I'm pretty exhausted during the last hours of the fifth day of work in a row.

Giant Bomb can improve, but it really just sounds like you need a break or try somewhere else, for a change.

#32 Edited by Aristotled (31 posts) -

I have to say I kinda agree, I don't know if I'd say I don't want to support the site, but I feel like Patrick has been sort of filling the void of content. I can't watch UPF at all anymore, it's too boring. The bombcast feels like it has reach critical mass with the meandering and I've come to realize I just...don't care for Brad or at least Brad has changed. However on the flip side I value what Drew brings to the Podcast as he has a solidly different view-point and he always seems to be doing new things which is great.

For as much as I disagree with the preachy side of Patrick, his content is what's kept me around. I also hope we get to hear more of Alex. He is very good at articulating his points which is something that seems to lack moreso these days.

#33 Posted by Flacracker (1610 posts) -

The one thing I agree with is his point about Brad. What really comes to mind for me is him falling asleep all the time on UPF. Does not care about the show? The paying users? The games? The people around him? I don't know.

#34 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1539 posts) -

The one thing I agree with is his point about Brad. What really comes to mind for me is him falling asleep all the time on UPF. Does not care about the show? The paying users? The games? The people around him? I don't know.

SLEEPY BRAD IS CUTE BRAD I WILL FIGHT YOU.

#35 Posted by ripelivejam (3588 posts) -

it is pretty funny though, so there's entertainment value to be had regardless.

<3 u brad

#36 Posted by FLStyle (4599 posts) -

Unprofessional Fridays is pretty ass, that's about the only thing I agree with.

#37 Posted by Superfriend (1536 posts) -

They are in desperate need of new guys. I actually like the three man Quicklook format a lot..I just want them to focus on games they are interested in.

It sometimes still feels like they don´t want to look at certain games- and that´s fine. They should actually hire Matt Bodega and make him play shitty games for some extra funny QLs! Most important part: Have at least one additional editor, so that the others get a break every once in a while and maybe, just maybe can produce something other than the regularly scheduled stuff (Though the Dark Souls/ Demon´s Souls features are definitely a step in the right direction)

Also, Rorie should be in more things. I actually quite enjoy when they do the extra-nerdy stuff and guys like Rorie are involved!

#38 Posted by RonGalaxy (2924 posts) -

First thing that comes to my mind is is he alright? Is he getting enough sleep? Not that he doesn't care about us. UPF is a show that takes place at the end of the day at the end of the week. Have you ever worked or been to school? You get tired at the end of the week. It sucks that he dozes off, but its not like he's doing it in spite of us.

#39 Posted by wjb (1645 posts) -

I know this sounds really ridiculous, but I wonder if he would be more engaged if he sat in the middle of the couch between two people. That way he won't rest his head on the arm of the couch. I think that's his downfall.

It stinks, but sometimes I wonder if he's doing okay, health-wise.

#40 Posted by DannyHibiki (137 posts) -

Seriously? Like half the time he's just putting it on as a goof. Jeeze, wish Giant Bomb would take a cue from MST3K and emphasize how their audience "should really just relax."

#41 Posted by Bollard (5307 posts) -

I miss real I Love Mondays. Phone ILM doesn't count, and we don't even get that anymore. TNT should never have been stopped, it was a great way to bring the community in (and they don't have to play new games every time).

I don't agree with a lot of what you have said and am happy to keep subscribing, but those things above and a few others I can't think of right now are a bit of a bummer for me.

#42 Posted by Octaslash (491 posts) -

I suggest putting a chat controlled shock collar on Brad during UPF. Only then can he truly serve Giant Bomb's paying customers.

#43 Edited by TheFeenMachine (46 posts) -

This was an interesting thread to me, as I am a new-ish user, and have basically fallen in love with this site over the past few months. I love the rambling nature of the content, because being super "into" gaming typically is more of a lifestyle than just a hobby. And that lifestyle tends to include a bunch of random internet shit. And as I've gotten to know the bombcast crew, I've learned what to expect from them.

Brad might be a bit dry and uninterested in discussing what he does in his spare time, but put him in front of Demon's Souls with Vinny egging him on, and he explodes with energy about 10-15 times per stream. (Near the end of last night's episode I was dying at him hearing imaginary lizards)

I do agree that UPF isn't always very good, but some of that is in the nature of picking up and playing games sometimes for the first time. (Personally, I'd like for them to amp up the drinking a bit, just so we get the occasional drunken misplaying/ badgering each other)

In the end, to each their own. Try watching some IGN content, it might make you appreciate the more "human" (personal?) take that GB provides. I know its the biggest thing I value out of here.

#44 Edited by KoolAid (855 posts) -

I'm really happy this wasn't a "oh my god, Patrick is ruining the site with his social justice bullshit!" post.

But in all seriousness, I fell like the site has been dynamite lately. Obviously losing Ryan has been a huge hit. But I think Patrick's streams, especially the spelunky one, have been really engaging. The extra life stream was good too. I think I just like watching the guys play games and I feel there has been a lot of that recently, which is funny because you seem like you want more of that. I agree that the bombcast has been different without Ryan and with Drew in. It doesn't feel the same, but at the same time, I feel like they've been trying their best. Sincerity is all I can really ask for.

#45 Posted by AMyggen (2612 posts) -

I always find the "there's too much random talk about off topic stuff on the Bombcast" complaints pretty funny, because it has always been like that for certain periods of the year. Oo back and listen to especially podcasts in January/early Feb from earlier years. Together with the Summer, the podcasts from that period always have a LOT of off topic talk because of the lack of new, bigger games. It's just that people forget about that stuff every year because of the huge amount of gaming talk late in the earlier year, so we get those complaints. Listen to this week's podcast for example, when some stuff was released and there were actual news, I'd say that 80-90% of the podcast was gaming related.

Anyways, I pretty much disagree with everything you said. I enjoy the site as much, if not more, than I ever have, and UPF is in my eyes the best thing that has happened to the site in a couple of years. And please, I thought we were over the "what does the staff DO every day????" comments.

PS: Brad has always been a sleepy dude. Remember older TNTs? Or the fact that the "Brad falls asleep during the bombcast" meme started years ago? It just seems like you don't like the content anymore and are looking for everything you can to justify it. That's okay, I'm not saying that everyone SHOULD like GB, but come on.

#46 Posted by Itwongo (1132 posts) -

I still dig it

#47 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3018 posts) -

Nice job with the comments kids.

I don't agree with you entirely but I've felt similarly at times. I applaud you for having the balls to voice your feelings in a forum where no one is grown up enough to do more than shit on you. We live in a place where it's impossible to criticize the things we love. And I do love Giant Bomb, but I do feel you are right about some things. Personally I don't know what they should change and I don't think the lack of content is due to laziness. I do wish Patrick's morning show was daily or three times weekly to catch more news, and yeah more jar time would be swell but dude, no doubt Jeff is a busy man. TNT would be good to bring back as it actually engages the community and there's not enough of that on GB.

Anyways thanks for sharing, good luck with the hatemail.

#49 Posted by ripelivejam (3588 posts) -

also have to say as off-topic bombcasts go, the CES episode has been the funniest of the past few months IMO. the random non-sequiturs every time they cut into the stream had me dying. THE MOST EXTREME. meatball discussion was thrilling too. and drew was so on point.

i think i prefer the rambling nonsense

#50 Edited by RonGalaxy (2924 posts) -

@geraltitude: He brought up, discussed, and confirmed his own feelings within his comment: that he should no longer be paying for this site and visiting it regularly. Everyone is dismissing his comment because of this; he had no reason to make it other than gratifying his own feelings.

And calling people "kids" isn't really making a case for your level of maturity.