Giantbomb gone off (like rotten eggs).

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@walkertr77: At the same time I feel like there just aren't many games to get excited about at the moment so it's understandable that the crew is doing their own thing right now. This whole damn industry needs to innovate and experiment a lot more but the huge costs of development is hampering that. But why can't these big studios make a really scaled down game to test out new gameplay concepts before turning that idea into a huge AAA title, like some form of videogame R&D? Is there just a dearth of game ideas right now in general? What we really need is a new Will Wright, Sid Meyer, Tim Schafer, etc to bring some new game concepts that no one has seen before and a developer and publisher that are brave and smart enough to execute on those ideas. Then there will be something to really get excited for, then there will be awesome coverage on every game site.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do honestly think that for people who have the ability to cover exactly what they want which seems pretty rare in the game industry, they can complain an awful lot about it. I think Brad is definitely the weak link in the whole enterprise at this point.

To your point about them chatting about random stuff, I tend to listen to the Bombcast more for that now than for anything else, Drew's shenanigans and Vinny's woodworking adventures are always entertaining.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

I do miss TNT. I've only watched a few UPFs, and I didn't enjoy any of them. Maybe I should give it another shot, but I've already done that a few times.

I Love Mondays got really, really bad after the move. At first it was refreshing to see them do it off the cuff, but like you said, it started to feel really lazy and unprofessional as the months rolled by.

Unfortunately, both of those things seemed to have been 'Ryan projects.' TNT was stopped with his untimely passing, and even though it was more Jeff that did I Love Mondays after the move, I believe it was still considered a 'Ryan project,' hence why it was stopped.

The Endurance Run is dead. I think it's something we have to accept. The closest we're going to get now is Vinny's 'Load Our Last Saves' and Brad's 'Breaking Brad.'

I, too, have been less than satisfied with the site in the recent past. I know better than to create a forum post about it, because it can come across as self-entitled, and even then if I'm unsatisfied with something I'm more likely to just quietly drop it then publicly announce that I'm done with it. However, if there are problems with the site, what are the proper methods to express concerns? Forum threads are going to be extremely reactionary, at best. No one likes people saying negative things about something they feel a part of, and will react accordingly.

I do think it will get better, albeit slowly. I was going to let my subscription lapse around September, just when they got started with the Pathfinder and Dark Souls content, which quickly brought me back on. As for what is going on behind the scenes, that is not for us to know. As someone who has worked many hard positions that people assumed were easy jobs, I can tell you that it is likely that they do far more work than one would probably imagine.

So let's hope for the best, and let's try not to discourage those who may be dissatisfied.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#104  Edited By Superkenon

I lot of the usual criticisms leveled against Giant Bomb aren't necessarily wrong, like the Unprofessional Syndrome, general apathy and drought of videos, so I think it's more than fair for people to voice them. Nonetheless, I just don't get it, because I'm still laughing my ass off throughout the week watching their stuff. The subscription has easily retained its value for me.

Sounds like a lot of folks' grievances could well be tended to by the upcoming NEWHIRE-MANIA. Really the best thing that can happen to the site right now, because the guys are easily doubling/tripling/quadmazillioning down on too many duties as things stand.

The first podcast was about Gatorade Tiger. If you expect hours of video game discussion then you may have different memories than I.

Hah, I was going to mention that. Yes, the very first podcast was approximately 30 minutes of drink-talk before they even mentioned video games.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

@brodehouse: Man, I hate their GOTY podcasts and always have. They take shit way too seriously there. And the best UPF is when Drew or Vinny play something totally off the wall and overambitious. But while they still give me more weekly content than any other single individual source (aside from the NFL, 20 weeks out of the year) I think the site has some problems, and I think paying members have the right to air their grievances.

My personal take is on behalf of those who think they play too few games. I think that there have been some great games that have gotten short shrift on this site recently: how many of the crew played Jazzpunk or Banner Saga? How many played Might & Magic X? Are any of them playing the Wolf Among Us? I have this feeling like the crew acknowledges that the landscape of game development is changing but they aren't willing to change the way they cover it. I'm not expecting them to stay on topic, but I expect them to be informed about the topic when it comes up.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By Devil240Z

I do agree that sometimes it seems like there is a lack of content but I don't agree that the quality has gone down.

Mostly it seems like they have been picking really poor games for Quick looks. and I have really lost interest in Dark souls and Spelunkie.

And I totally disagree about drew. That man is doing gods work hes awesome! I just wish he did more quicklook type things.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By alwaysbebombing

@amyggen said:

@samstrife: I'm not sure, dude. I just think that people look at the site's past with rose tinted glasses. The site has never been "perfect", there has always been some mediocre content. Remember The Whiskey Media Hour? That show was, mostly, a shit show (those comics and anime segments...man). TNT has in my eyes always been veeeeeeeeery hit and miss, mostly miss. It was always at its best when the guys played MP games among themselves (Quake, UT, Dead Island, Fortune Street(!!)), but when they just played a random shooter? That was almost always some boring shit.

Right now, I think the site is as consistently good as it has ever been. I totally understand if people disagree, but that's my take on it. And yeah, they could need a new Thursday live show like the one last thursday. But Jeff said that this was something he wanted to do once they got a couple of new guys, so I'm hopeful about it.

I also understand the people who dismissed this thread with a "bye", even if it's childish. The tone of the OP was very dismissive, especially the part where he said that he couldn't really understand what the crew do all day. That's exactly what people said about Ryan the last year, it was unfair then and it is unfair now. Totally fine to not like the content, but come on now. That's not to say that those kinds of comments add anything to the discussion, of course.

At the end of the day I think we can all agree that we love this site, and we all hope that it will always get better.

The statement I highlighted is very true. Giant Bomb has always been great, they have a lot of content that I love dearly. Some of it hasn't always been the greatest, that's true but there is sure a hell of a lot more bad than good. I also don't think people understand how video/audio production actually works. To produce 45 minutes of content, it will easily take 2 hours, especially since you know only one person is working on it. To be totally honest, I am blown away by how much content they are actually able to push out with so little people. Plus you have Jeff basically letting us live at his house with his Jar Times and his drives to work. Patrick does a lot, like. I feel as though people are comparing the site now, to a site they aren't remembering correctly. It got a little sad for a bit with the passing of Ryan, god rest his soul, but I think everyone has been great at recovering. Especially Jeff, I don't know how that man has so much resilience. Giant Bomb can get better, and will, I have no doubt. But I think that with the super small crew they have, and all the bureaucracy Jeff deals with. They're doing pretty alright.

I can do way more than just say "bye!"

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By ltsmash

Be careful of the door on your way out sir.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I dunno. I feel like the site has been doing surprisingly well the last few months... or do you not remember the great content drought of 2012? I feel like the running joke on these forums for like half of that year was "They're still getting used to the new office". Whether or not you like what this site has put out recently is a perfectly valid point of contention. For my part, I like Patrick and Alex's morning show, I like the constant influx of Souls related content and... I could do with fewer articles going "SHAME INTERNET, SHAME". I'll give you guys that.

I feel like there's some sort of ruby-tinted idealizing going on about "yon olden dais", as if the Bombcast wasn't always tangent-city, as if the live content wasn't always sort of hit or miss, as if TNT especially wasn't super boring by the end. It's entirely okay to say that it's not for you anymore, but don't ascertain a level of quality to past content that does not exist.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@veektarius: Good points.

I think I like the GOTY podcasts because of their heavy game focus and because they talk about the games themselves in a critical manner, and not talk around games they haven't played or offer opinions on the developer or the marketing or the reviews. I want information and opinions and entertainment about games.

I also agree with the guy talking about how they no longer play a lot of the same games, or new games at all.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By wjb

I agree with @narujoe93 and @amyggen on their points.

I understand that "If you don't like it, then go somewhere else" sounds rude (and usually is), but sometimes it's the best advice to give. If someone I know in real life doesn't like something, then I usually tell them not to do it or do something else. I wish Polygon was more like Giant Bomb. They aren't, so I stopped visiting their site. I wish Weekend Confirmed (when it was on) did things differently. It was what it was, so I stopped listening to it. I understand the OP cares, or wants to care, but sometimes a person needs to look elsewhere. I don't want to be the person who stays with a site for years (!) and complain whenever these threads come up multiple times a month.

I think @amyggen was right: we look at the "glory days" with rose-tinted glasses. I remember a thread showing data proving that Quick Looks are kind of dry every winter since the site has started. And TNT was a pretty terrible show for most of its run. It was a premise that worked occasionally, depending on whether or not a popular game came out. Even then, unless someone's playing the game with the staff, we're just watching the same death-match or whatever for 90 minutes.

I think me and a lot of other people are noticing with the OP is it isn't one simple thing GB can change, but several things that may or may not be remedied. Changing Patrick's Quick Looks to say "Solo" on them can be done. Possibly getting Patrick to label his opinion pieces with an overt "OPINION" in the title can be done. Trying to completely change the way a site does its very popular podcast, how a person spends his or her weekend, or a person's entire personality can be fairly difficult. The OP criticizes Brad for not being engaged about what he does in his off-time on the Bombcast. Okay, sure. But then criticizes Drew for doing the complete opposite in the following paragraph. All anyone can say to that is "I don't know what to tell you."

And I think a lot of people are giving reasonable responses, so I don't get this whole "everyone is shitting on the OP" business. The OP could have said A LOT of thing better, starting with the title. It's not a bunch of "white knightz coming to defend their masterz," but "people calling someone out for being kind of a dick." There's a huge difference. I would probably agree with the person two years ago, but I think GB has been doing well for months now. I don't even have the time to watch everything, honestly.

It doesn't sound like "they're not doing enough," but more "they're not doing enough I like." GB can only please so many people.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By alwaysbebombing

Also. Holy shit. Does anyone remember the Rorie Puppy Stream? I almost peed myself during DayZ.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@brodehouse: Yeah, when they talk about things like trends in the industry or what's going on with EA, stuff like that, those are good parts of the GOTY podcasts. I just don't like the actual 'picking the winners' parts.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I think overall the video stuff needs more PREPARATION. I'm not saying production quality, I'm saying preparation of content. As fun and charming the half-assed nature of the site is, streams are getting so half-assed that it makes me less motivated to watch. I love a long Quick Look, but the actual content/time ratio is getting pretty thin.

This is the only point in the post that I feel I agree with. Sometimes they'll do an hour-long quick look with 15 minutes worth of information & jokes about the game.

I remember watching a Quick Look some time ago, which I had running in the background, and at around the 30-minute mark one of the staffers said something informative (from a buyer standpoint - or simply a curious one), which is one of the main points of these videos. The shitty part was that it wasn't something contextual: it could have been said at any point during the video.

Frankly, not everyone has hours to invest daily into Quick Looks, and many people, even those interested in the game being Quick Looked, probably stopped watching the Quick Look long before then.

It's just that this isn't a complicated problem: it's as easy as writing shit down on a notepad a few key things that won't make the Quick Look less interesting to watch, then go on to talk over/laugh at/admire/make fun of whatever games you're playing. The fact that some content lacks this type of rudimentary structure makes it seem like the staff are just basing everything they do on the fact that people are willing and wanting to watch 45 minute videos of any video-game.

Jeff has said this many times in PAX Panels and the like: "People want to watch people play games!", or "People want a 3 hour podcast!". Well it's true, but it seems they are riding that premise to an extreme sometime, and I find myself watching less and less Quick Looks. It's just unrewarding.

I don't want the site to lose its half-assed, unprofessional nature. But I also don't want the content to be so unorganized that it comes across as lazy and careless.

In any case, this is a transitory period for the site. I'm looking forward to seeing what the new hires will bring!

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By slyspider

Sorry you feel this way, hope you take a nice break from GB and come back in a year or two. I had a moment when i made a post about the good comment being locked behind the paywall, which is still a problem but one i dont know anyone that can solve, and someone got me a year sub for the site. This community is fucking rad and got me through some rough times, but if it isnt for you, it isnt for you. Hope you find a website better suited to you're needs.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want to be a dick, but I do agree that after Ryan's passing, I've typically been less and less interested in the content the site produces. Though I think that's more to do with the fact that the main reason I signed up for this site and visited it as often as I did was because of Ryan, so of course I'd feel that way. I also REALLY agree that I think the Bombcast would be a hundred times better if it were more focused, or a bit more structured than it currently is. Maybe it's because I listened to Spill podcasts a lot (When that site was still anyway), and on Spill, Korey had a tendency to get his crew back on track if they were trailing off, but there's none of that here.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

As cool as it is that they're looking into some desperately needed new hires, I'm not looking forward to the inevitable complaining and toxicity toward new people that might crop up. I know that this community is better than most and it's usually a very vocal minority that have that effect. I just want to see this site and community continue to exist and evolve.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slyspider: What I think the site might do better without much extra work is to once in a while make a premium show available for people who are not members. Like maybe making the stream of UPF available to non-members once every two months or something like that. Like what HBO does with their free periods. That would 1) make some more content available to non-subs, and 2) maybe get some more subs because they get to see what they're missing.

The balance between normal contet and premium content is difficult. I remember subs complaining a lot about the lack of premium content about a year or so ago, they listened to that but as a result I'm sure the balance between premium/normal content now feel a bit weird for non-subs. I think them doing a new live show on thursdays would make up for that, which Jeff has said he wants to when they get some new staff members.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@wjb: The sad thing is I never even told him that he shouldn't watch it if he doesn't like it. HE said that. All I was saying is there was no point to him making this thread if he already came to a conclusion for himself.

Also, some of his points were down right disrespectful to the crew. He called them lazy when he doesn't even know or understand what their process is. People think saying 'bye' is dismissive to his points, I'd argue that point of his is the most dismissive thing in this whole thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool story bro, want me to publish a novel of your thoughts?

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, people need to calm down about a different opinion. I don't think snarky comments help anyone. though i do agree some of the original post was less helpful and more ranty.

I think as a paid subscriber you do have the right to your opinion. They are providing a service.

One of my favorite parts about the site is a sense of realness. things rarely feel manufactured. this is why things like TNT were stopped because they felt it wasn't feeling that way. But i think some new or additional content need to be put in its place.

one of the complaints ive seen in this thread is that they seem lazy. to be fair im not sure if thats true but on the other side i dont know what goes into a quick look or how long it actually takes. Outside of patrick (who produces hours of content almost daily) sometimes as little as a 30 minute quick look is put on the site a day. What else are they doing during the day? i think giving a better idea on the ins and outs of giant bomb might dispell that rumour of laziness in the office.'

its been a long day so i didnt really bother reading through the post and kinda spit my thoughts on the page so hopefully it makes sense.. what i will say a post saying "good riddance" is no better than negative rants with no substance.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@narujoe93: Yeah, I hear ya. PMing the staff, dropping subscription, and/or not visiting the site is more impactful than a thread in a forum, but it's the 21st century, people want to heard/validated. (When I go to a restaurant and have a bad experience, I just don't go to it again; I don't write a Yelp review about it. I had a bad experience, but maybe I'm in the minority, who knows?) But fair enough, I guess?

Like we've said, though, the OP could've phrased everything a lot better. It's more difficult to say "here are some things GB can improve upon" than "I dislike this and this and this and they are so lazy."

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I personally feel the lack of presence from Jeff and Brad. There is a lot less written content from them, if any. While I love the bombcast and do look at some of the videos, I consume most of my Giantbomb content in text form, either at work or on my phone.

I'm thankful for the regular content Alex and Patrick are putting on the site, even if it's not my favorite.

Avatar image for deactivated-6620058d9fa01
deactivated-6620058d9fa01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This isn't a troll? It's a good thing you told us three times.

P.S. I'm pretty sure they don't break out the N64 because the N64 fucking sucks.

LoveSpuds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the most part I love the content supplied by all of the guys but I have to agree with some of the OP's comments about Unprofessional Friday's. I personally only tune in to that show to hear all the funny stuff they guys discuss but I have to say, I could not be less engaged by the games the guys are choosing on the whole.

The games they are showing off are largely dogshit and maybe funny for 2 minutes but I almost end up treating the video like a podcast as their is nothing interesting going on on the screen. As soon as something engaging like Nidhogg or Windjammers makes an appearance the show improves so much. It used to be that one of the group would perhaps show a weird game a week but its like they are all trying to outdo each other now with both Geoff and Brad looking on as bored as I am when some bollocks browser game rears its head.

Drop UP and do something in the same format as Thursday Night Throwdown and I would be completely contented, as it is I adore the podcast, I love the quicklooks and find Breaking Brad hilarious.

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like a whole lot of, "this guy is talkin' shit! I'm gonna talk shit right back at him to reeeally show him what's what!"

Dude is entitled to his opinion, you're entitled to disagree but damn some of the folks posting here really need to relax. Taking his opinion way too personally.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@snail said:

@brodehouse said:

I think overall the video stuff needs more PREPARATION. I'm not saying production quality, I'm saying preparation of content. As fun and charming the half-assed nature of the site is, streams are getting so half-assed that it makes me less motivated to watch. I love a long Quick Look, but the actual content/time ratio is getting pretty thin.

This is the only point in the post that I feel I agree with. Sometimes they'll do an hour-long quick look with 15 minutes worth of information & jokes about the game.

Some of my favorite quick looks are those where they go in not knowing anything about the game. Genuine first reactions are fun. So I like the unprepared quick looks, but it works better with some games compared to others.

I do think UPF can use a bit more preparation. It seems everyone just picks a game to play and that's it, and you end up with someone playing a game the rest of the team isn't interested in, so perhaps they need to coordinate a bit more which games to play. I would also like to see more challenging games on UPF, maybe pass the controller around trying to pass a particular level or something.

In general I'm a happy subscriber though. I enjoy the podcast every week and love the vinny/brad dark/demon souls videos -- they're close enough to the old endurance runs. I don't listen/watch Bombing in the AM all that often, but is great listening to that live when I'm doing some boring stuff at work, that show is in the afternoon for me :).

(The gaming industry needs to come up with some new stupid shit like Game Room and Kinect).

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Niceanims

I'd like to see TNT come back. Even if it's at the cost of UPF. I like UPF, but its rapid fire delivery is wearing on me. I liked the longevity TNT gave to its content.

And more office content! Mailbags and mobile phone Mondays, that kinda stuff.

Zalrus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey! Sorry to hear about all those bad feelings you have. While I do not share most of them, I can certainly understand where you're coming from. honestly, before I really got into Giant Bomb, I was only in it for the podcast. Then I took the time to get to know the Giant Bomb Crew as people, and for the longest time, it felt almost as if we were friends in a weird way. That's really why I prefer this website to others that merely talk about video games. But I understand that you would feel cheated if you went to a video game website and instead heard about Vinny looking up the voice actors of his son's toys, or Drew's latest board game he played.

As for Unprofessional Fridays, I think they are a bit lukewarm for the most part, but they also hold some of my favorite Giant Bomb moments of all time, mainly the Second Life bit and the Paka Love bit. So good! But, they can be a bit hit and miss. No problem!

I do agree that the content has been a bit lean of late, and that it isn't just because of the quiet period. However, I think that they will survive, and I would still like to see them do so. Because, honestly, I have a strong, perhaps misguided contempt for a large part of the internet. But I don't really have that hate for Giant Bomb. That must mean they're doing something right, right?

I do thank you for sharing, though. You're much better at articulating your opinions that those people on the Youtube! In this often shitty internet of ours, that is something to be praised.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By excast

I've been pretty happy with both the amount and quality of the content lately. Sometimes I guess I just wish more was coming out of the office.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#131  Edited By Milkman

Has no one addressed the title of this thread? "Giantbomb gone off (like rotten eggs)"

What the fuck does that mean?

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#132  Edited By DarthOrange

I agree.

*runs and hides*

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#133  Edited By mike

@itwongo said:

I like UPF, but its rapid fire delivery is wearing on me...

Loading Video...

RAPID FIRE!

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By beepmachine

Why do so many people hold this site to such an unrealistic standard? If the quality of any other website you visited dropped a bit, would you write a novella about it online? I'm guessing you wouldn't, because you would just visit less frequently. It's like whenever someone has a problem with this site they take it so personally and need to convince everyone of why things are bad. I appreciate you trying to be honest but I 100% disagree with pretty much all of your points.

If you're looking for more straight to the point games business info, then I'm not sure why you were a paying member here to begin with. No offense, but this site has never really been that, and there a TON of other sites waiting out there who would happily give that to you and skip the "boring" off topic stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@milkman: I believe gone off is a British colloquialism for gone bad, or expired.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By RazielCuts

I feel the same, it's why I let my sub expire just before Christmas. It's the unpopular opinion though and as super fans of the guys we tend to be very territorial and protective of GB. I think we also tend to give GB a lot of leeway as if they're 'just a few dudes in their basement shooting the shit' but when they were literally in a basement winging it they were producing way more quality stuff. Someone said in another thread it's like an inverse of production to growth, as the site has got bigger the production has slipped. We went from fully produced I Love Monday videos with to the camera, scripted run downs for the week on a green screen with gameplay footage showing in the background with a style treatment, to rushed handheld SD camcorder type footage to nothing. That's just one instance. I won't vent too much as I've turned a corner on the whole thing, it's just a shame y'know - 'What could've been' they've just plateaued IMO.

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By JRM

@itwongo: I don't see why it couldn't come back while still keeping UPF, the more content this site has the better. I don't have anything other than my own anecdotal experiences to go off of but I, and I assume the majority of people, come to the site for the video and audio content. The stories, news, and occasional reviews are nice ancillary aspects to the site but for me the meat of this site is the content and I'd like to see more; in addition to the features already being produced.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By abendlaender

The thing is, they could easily produce more "content" if they would just splitt up their features. Breaking Brad? Cut that down to 30 minutes and call it an Endurance Run. Done. The "Puppy Chat" was what? 4 hours long? Cut that down and *BOOM* daily content. But they just enjoy producing longer content which I'm totally happy with. What exactly do other gaming sites do right now? I'm looking for example at Gametrailers and they have a few shows each week (none longer than 30 minutes) and...what else? Is Gamespot just playing old games right now? Or IGN? They obviously feature more news but GiantBomb was never ever a news site. I don't really care about that either, most interesting news gets eventually posted here and I can very well live without the "This person just listed THIS on linkendin" stuff most other sites do.

Looking at Gamespot, GT or IGN they all have a feature about Titanfall right now. GT? 5 Minutes. Gamespot? 5 minutes. IGN has something called "78 Epic Titanfall Moments in 4 Minutes" which I'm not even going to bother with. GB? 59 Minutes.

So my question is: What are other sites doing better right now?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Im gonna make two points. Not being an asshole, but I feel like your "lack of content" is off. Sure a few things haved dropped and that's ok. For the past few weeks we've had at least an hours worth if Patrick playin spelunky every single day. They have already moved onto a new game. Secondly, there aren't a ton of games out right now, sure they play some boring games and hey I agree that sometimes they disinterest me but you can always tune out then or fast forward if you just watch the archive. There is also the dark souls/demons souls stuff which are basically endurance runs. We also have Jeff's on top of all the quicklooks they put out. Then you have not one but two different giantbomb podcasts that are both great. Sure, I can see why people wouldn't really be into the rambling but I usually find that stuff hilarious and fun, it's their staple and I never want that to change.

The one thing I do agree with is what you said about I love Mondays. It was an excellent feature and one of the many things Ryan was incredible at. But as time goes by things change. I'm sorry you don't like Giant bomb anymore but I certainly do.

OleMarthin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my opinion they make more than enough content every week considering how small the staff is. and i like the podcast best when not speaking about games, i usually tune the games talk out:P I do agree that the Friday show is boring and stale but shows like spelunking with scoops and the souls streaming has been greatly entertaining. I would not mind some changes for one I would like them do to more one offs and not the same show every week, more local coop or competitions? I used to love all the random the site used to have and wish they would take more risks but overall i still feel i get plenty of value out of the subscription, not may services will give you 10+ hours a week of entertainment for such a low cost.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#142  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Why do so many people hold this site to such an unrealistic standard? If the quality of any other website you visited dropped a bit, would you write a novella about it online? I'm guessing you wouldn't, because you would just visit less frequently. It's like whenever someone has a problem with this site they take it so personally and need to convince everyone of why things are bad.

Unlike 99.9% of websites, gaming or otherwise, people love giant bomb. When you love something, your relationship with it is different. I used to go to Polygon. Then on visit number whatever I was finally like Ehhh, No thanks. But when you love something, like you love a child, or friend or whatever, you have this idea of what you think it could be if only it lived up to its potential. Do we know it's potential? No. Are we in a position to really comment on it? No. But we feel that way.

The whole "selling point" (ironically) of giant bomb was always that it's very personal. Have you ever seen anything like Jar Time on another site? Or an Endurance Run? Or even Breaking Brad? How often do you see Greg Miller or X or Y games personality at their lowest and just dying of frustration; or, how often do you see them fall asleep on video? The puppy chat? Alexis (SHOCK! AN ENGINEER!) on camera? I mean the fact that Drew is a part of the site is crazy by most website standards. Here's a behind the camera guy who is on the podcast, in many video feeds - that's nuts!! But it works because he's awesome. And Giant Bomb has always been about awesome personalities, so it makes sense you would have a personal connection to it.

The Giant Bomb community is the best community, and it's like that because people do care way more than "they should".

Anyways, just wanted to share that because I think it's a positive answer to your question (and this sentiment is at work in the best parts of this thread), though it is a little lame by cool internet standards.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrm: oh, I'd totally like to have both, The more the merrier. But if the crew came up right this second and gave us a choice between one or the other, I'd pick TNT.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#144  Edited By Humanity

@pyrodactyl: I'm not going to defend calling them lazy, but I will defend the statement of an evident drop in content quality. The most visible example of this is the shift of I Love Mondays from a fully produced feature, to not produced at all, to non existent - a journey that is strangely enough, inversely proportional to their financial situation which has evolved from a dingy basement to a fully realized office at GameSpot.

@amyggen: That was my impression from the first page - a resounding "hoorah get this guy!" which seemed to come from some older users that I sadly thought would know better.

@video_game_king I'm pretty sure it appears on most sites although on GB it sometimes seems tinged with a fair degree of fanboyism. I love the guys but I won't defend every decision they make, especially when Jeff himself doesn't mind being vocal about someone being, or acting like an idiot to the degree where I sometimes think he assumes we're all a bunch of idiots that don't know anything about this gaming business thing.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By JZ

I'm going to say everyone but you love when giantbomb does non-game stuff.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

My comment on these things has always been: if you don't enjoy the site anymore, leave. I mean, it's nothing against the person and more that you shouldn't be putting time into something you clearly don't enjoy. I just do not get some stuff like this. It's unfortunate when something you previously enjoyed goes bad, but it happens. I've had it happen with at least 2 other podcasts, one other gaming website, and a myriad of book/game/movie series just to name entertainment and not things like relationships. If you want to stay sane, you leave it and move on. Don't be a part of something that's clearly toxic in your life.

I should point out that many of the things the OP says are entirely valid criticisms, thus the comment. I obviously don't agree or I'd have followed my own advice.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do in in a sense 'love' this site. In fact I have to step back and re calibrate my own involvement. What is a trip to me is how the staff handles it. GB has been an interesting little social interaction experiment. So I find it good to kind of step back from it for a while, especially if something has pissed me off or what-not. Kind of funny not to take personal a site that actually values personal input...to a point.

To the OP, you don't get it or don't like it, and are not abusive in your explanation(that is, it is an explanation not an internet whine) you have nothing but my respect for your viewpoint. That is not agreement, but it's cool. And it seems you tried to convey that, though I did not read everything, skimmed part of it.

Find a site that provides content in a manner you like, and right on for making a choice. That alone says something also.

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itwongo: In that particular scenario I'd have to agree.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Someone said in another thread it's like an inverse of production to growth, as the site has got bigger the production has slipped.

But that's the thing; they've gotten smaller. During the Whiskey Media basement days, their team was deceptively quite large, because the sites worked together, had a support staff, and of course the army of interns. Ever since the CBSi acquisition, they're just alone on an island. A crappy island with extra office bureaucracy.

Not that that has any bearing on whether you should be enjoying their content or not. Just that it's false to imply they've phoned it in. It sounds like a frustrating situation, and it's great to hear they're optimistic about receiving the budget to hire more dudes this year.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#150  Edited By Milkman

Sometimes I wonder how you people function in society. Do you realize how insulting it is to say "these guys are lazy", especially when you have no idea what their day to day work day is like? Imagine if someone came into your work, with only a vague understanding of what you even do and said "stop being so lazy." Try to remember these are actual human beings, not just clowns who can turn on a camera and dance for you whenever you want.

Also, it's also worth noting that when Giant Bomb got bought by CBSi, they didn't get bigger. They're owned by a bigger company but their staff has only gotten smaller since Whiskey Media. This is an in-house editorial staff of 2. And a video production staff of 2. Perspective is important.