• 56 results
#1 Posted by habibyjohnson (85 posts) -

I just read the review of 3D Land and Im wondering if its a fair review. Jeff seems to be reviewing it ike its a console game, when its actually supposed to be played as a portable.. Thats why complaints of being too easy initially, seem to be off base here. I think theres a bit of ignoring of how damn well this game is made and the fact that its one of if not the best portable game ever made. And where are other 3ds reviews? There dont seem to be many...I mean where the Kid Icarus review??

Furthermore I noticed in the 3d land review, and also in articles and quick looks from the past Ive read here, that there's alot of rhetoric about the 3Ds's initial (perhaps current?) lack of games. Alot of snarky comments about 3DS shortcommings. Ive seen no such snark in Vita reviews/news/quicklooks.

#2 Posted by ashleychittock (136 posts) -

Even if it was true that none of them liked the 3DS, you can't really hold it against them. They're allowed to have an opinion, and if they don't like the handheld then they probably can't be bothered to play too many of its games. One of the best things about this site is that they don't bother writing about stuff they don't care about.

#3 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Opinioooooooooooooooooooooooooooons.

@habibyjohnson said:

Alot of snarky comments about 3DS shortcommings. Ive seen no such snark in Vita reviews/news/quicklooks.

Sigh.

#4 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Yo, I review dat shit like Conso son!

#5 Posted by shivermetimbers (763 posts) -

It seems that Super Mario 3D Land and Zelda Ocarina of Time are the only 2 games worth owning on the 3DS. If I can recall, I think Ryan put Super Mario 3D Land on his top ten for 2011.

#6 Edited by CollegeGuyMike (388 posts) -

The first half of the game *IS* too easy in SM3DL. Even for a portable game. There's also more 3DS game reviews, than Vita, by two. It's only a few guys in the office, they can't cover every little portable game.

Either way, you're imagining things. Everybody seems to think they have some bias about -insert console/portable here-.

#7 Posted by habibyjohnson (85 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@habibyjohnson said:

Alot of snarky comments about 3DS shortcommings. Ive seen no such snark in Vita reviews/news/quicklooks.

Sigh.

haha dont sigh. My point was it would be more justified for the vita which OBJECTIVELY has even less "must-own" titles. I mean they should at least be consistent. Its hard not to think theres some bias there

#8 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@habibyjohnson said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@habibyjohnson said:

Sigh.

haha dont sigh. My point was it would be more justified for the vita which OBJECTIVELY has even less "must-own" titles. I mean they should at least be consistent. Its hard not to think theres some bias there

Just...Stop.

#9 Posted by shivermetimbers (763 posts) -

@habibyjohnson said:

bias

If you want an unbiased opinion, go ask a brick wall.

#10 Posted by Brendan (7687 posts) -

It looks like you have a personal bias here man. Classic Gamespot comment up in this.

#11 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

They don't hate the 3DS they just hate video games in general they also hate dumb threads.

#12 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4929 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

They don't hate the 3DS they just hate video games in general they also hate dumb threads.

We have a lot in common.

#13 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -

@habibyjohnson said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@habibyjohnson said:

Sigh.

Yeah cause they haven't ever talked shit about the vita, or the games for it. Not once.

#14 Posted by c_rakestraw (823 posts) -

@habibyjohnson said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@habibyjohnson said:

Sigh.

"Objectively"? Really? That's you're defense? Christ... Are you from System Wars or something?

#15 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -

@C_Rakestraw: Got some GameSpot spillover.

#16 Posted by BelligerentEngine (344 posts) -

@habibyjohnson said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@habibyjohnson said:

Sigh.

They're more derisive in their coverage of the Vita than they are of the 3DS. If you can't perceive this than you've got your blinders on.

For the record I don't own either device nor do I plan to, but yeah your ability to deduce tone is weak my friend.

#17 Posted by Ariketh (606 posts) -

@habibyjohnson said:

I remember Jeff talking about Vita recently - about how there aren't many games for it. I know he talked about the Vita last week when he made that Jar video... Besides, the only interesting thing they discussed about the Vita was Wake Up Club, and that's mostly Ryan and Jeff. Does anyone besides Jeff even own a Vita?

They never talked much about the PSP before. And they didn't do a ton of quicklooks for the DS, at least to my memory. They've also stated before that they don't live a very portable life. Think about it. They're video game reviewers. They're around video game consoles constantly. They don't have much use for a portable gaming system, and probably don't care much about them. When are they not around video game consoles? During the 30 minutes it takes to get from home to work? Or from work to home? When they're on the bus, in a car, in a restaurants, or going to places like E3 or PAX? We saw that at least 3 of them had their 3DS with them at PAX. But they really seem to relish their time away from video games, because they can spend time with their friends who perhaps don't play video games nearly as much as they do.

Portable video games are for a different audience I think. They're for people like me, people who travel frequently or who live in places that don't have many options and can either play computer games or the portable games they brought with them. There was a period of about 1 year when I didn't even have the ability to use a computer outside of work, and thus, my PSP was my only source of video game entertainment. I didn't even own a TV, since I was moving house fairly frequently. The nice thing about the Vita is the ability to install games. That is something I can recognize. When I came to China, I only brought 4 games with me. I would have brought more if I could have, but eventually clothes outweigh video games, especially if you're trying to live and work.

Just be happy they even talk about portable video games on occasion. They do it for their job. I doubt they have much use for the portable systems.

#18 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@shivermetimbers said:

It seems that Super Mario 3D Land and Zelda Ocarina of Time are the only 2 games worth owning on the 3DS. If I can recall, I think Ryan put Super Mario 3D Land on his top ten for 2011.

Thats not true, Devil Sumoner: Overclocked, and Ghost Recon are both good games.

#19 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@beej said:

Is that what's happening?

#20 Posted by IAmNotBatman (627 posts) -

Hate? Cool story bro.

#21 Posted by Toxeia (728 posts) -

Game's a game, sir. If they don't like it because they feel it's a bad game, they think it's a bad game. Turns out they're here to tell you how they feel about games and your best bet is to find a reviewer with whom you share similarities. Then you can tell if their opinions about a game would hold water with you.

#22 Posted by c_rakestraw (823 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@beej said:

Is that what's happening?

Wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. Probably some GameSpot folk checking Giant Bomb out for the first time now that the two are under the same roof.

#23 Posted by believer258 (11630 posts) -

Come to think of it, when was the last Vita Quick Look? I can't name any after the launch.

#24 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4929 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Come to think of it, when was the last Vita Quick Look? I can't name any after the launch.

That's understandable, because there was none.

#25 Posted by Video_Game_King (35992 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

Yo, I review dat shit like Conso son!

Is there some English dialect that lacks lhoticism?

#26 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen said:

@believer258 said:

When was the last vita game, aside from MK.

#27 Posted by myketuna (1652 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

@believer258 said:

When was the last vita game, aside from MK.

When was the last vita game that mattered, aside from MK.

(Just helping out your point.)

#28 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5101 posts) -

@habibyjohnson said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@habibyjohnson said:

Sigh.

They do say that stuff for the VIta. Do you remember the whole "launch window" thing they made fun of for the Vita.

#29 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

If you come to giant bomb for reviews, I don't really know what to say cause you missed the point of the site

#30 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@wmaustin55 said:

If you come to giant bomb for reviews, I don't really know what to say cause you missed the point of the site

If the point of the site is not to review games then why do they review games?

#31 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1733 posts) -

It's true. You broke the secret conspiracy.

The Rand Corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people, under the supervision of the reverse vampires, are forcing Giant Bomb to imply secret negativity in their 3DS commentary. We're through the looking glass, here, people...

#32 Posted by The_Nubster (2046 posts) -

So you read one review for the 3DS, a review for a game which I'm assuming you both own and like very much. You do not agree with this review, and now you think that their entire opinion of both the console and its games is a negative one. That isn't how it works.

#33 Posted by JBG4 (385 posts) -

3D Land is fantastic, I really enjoyed it...

#34 Edited by WMWA (1160 posts) -

@Dagbiker if you come to the site for reviews you missed the point. They've never advertised they would. The sites about video content, and now Patrick's editorial work, no? Not saying the reviews aren't useful, but they review what they want. So again, why would someone expect anything when it comes to reviews? There are plenty of other outlets to get the standard review of every game, it just sounds like they're confused as to what Giant Bomb is

#35 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

When I like a game, everyone else has to like it.

#36 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@wmaustin55 said:

@Dagbiker if you come to the site for reviews you missed the point. They've never advertised they would. The sites about video content, and now Patrick's editorial work, no? Not saying the reviews aren't useful, but they review what they want. So again, why would someone expect anything when it comes to reviews? There are plenty of other outlets to get the standard review of every game, it just sounds like they're confused as to what Giant Bomb is

If the site wasn't about reviews they would stop posting reviews, The reviews are featured on the front page just as much as Patrick's articles are. If you are arguing that you shouldn't expect them to review certain games. I agree.

#37 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

@wmaustin55 said:

What someone gets out of Giant Bomb is up to them. If they only care about reviews, fine. If they completely ignore all editorial content and just want to be part of the community, that's an acceptable goal too, but the community despises people like that. Alas.

#38 Edited by WMWA (1160 posts) -

@Dagbiker We're just gonna have to agree to disagree then. The reviews are supplementary to the site. If they disappeared, not too many people would care I'd suspect. That's what quick looks are for and the bombcast. That's what this site is about along with the community, at least to me.

#39 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

@LordAndrew: no, people can come to the site for whatever they want. The community is one of the best things about the site. If you come for the reviews though, shouldn't you already know how they operate with them? Which is on a whim.

#40 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

@habibyjohnson:

I read the review and here's what I think about what you said in the OP.

-I don't understand your comment that a portable game is designed specifically to be easy at first while a console game is not. There's nothing about portable systems that makes that logic sensible.

-About him ignoring how well made the game is. This is a quote directly from his review, "It's not that it's a poorly made game or anything--it's actually a great-looking, colorful game that controls well and makes good use of its platform's unique 3D abilities."

-They have reviewed 11 3DS games. Though they have reviewed some Vita games they don't even have a Vita tag under their 'review' section whereas they do have a 3DS tag. So, if anything, they've shown favoritism to the 3DS. But all of this is beside the point. The guys at Giant Bomb review what they feel is either important to review or they want to review. If you want complete, comprehensive coverage of every 3DS game go to another site that has the staff to do this.

-Brad has discussed Kid Icarus on the Bombcast. I'm under the impression that he doesn't really want to review the game because he has grown tired of it. It may come one day but, as I said, go to a bigger site if you want an immediate review of all the 3DS games.

-Snarky comments about the library? They've been realistic and given their opinions. We as consumers are charged with making up our own minds through, in part, the information we gather from different sources. GB is providing information for consumers. They have stated that they are not sure the value proposition is in the consumer's favor if they buy the system currently. As editors it is their job to give out this type of advice. If you don't like the advice don't listen. Further, they've also said that the 3DS is a really cool piece of hardware and that the 3D can be used in really clever ways. Sort of like what Jeff said in the 3D Land review you seem so upset about.

So, I guess in short, you're being overly sensitive about the way the 3DS is talked about on GB.

#41 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@LordAndrew said:

@wmaustin55 said:

What someone gets out of Giant Bomb is up to them. If they only care about reviews, fine. If they completely ignore all editorial content and just want to be part of the community, that's an acceptable goal too, but the community despises people like that. Alas.

That's why I am despised? I don't read anything by the staff, but I don't care what they write - I don't read it anyway. I don't even have SML3DS, but I don't need to read a review here to decide whether to buy it or not. OP needs to learn to not care, even though I agree that reviews can be objective, but they aren't, so I choose not to read them.

#42 Posted by DystopiaX (5293 posts) -

@habibyjohnson said:

I just read the review of 3D Land and Im wondering if its a fair review. Jeff seems to be reviewing it ike its a console game, when its actually supposed to be played as a portable.. Thats why complaints of being too easy initially, seem to be off base here. I think theres a bit of ignoring of how damn well this game is made and the fact that its one of if not the best portable game ever made. And where are other 3ds reviews? There dont seem to be many...I mean where the Kid Icarus review??

Furthermore I noticed in the 3d land review, and also in articles and quick looks from the past Ive read here, that there's alot of rhetoric about the 3Ds's initial (perhaps current?) lack of games. Alot of snarky comments about 3DS shortcommings. Ive seen no such snark in Vita reviews/news/quicklooks.

Yeah...the vita bit isn't true at all, especially since all of the staff mostly has the opinion that they don't want long, console-like experiences on portables cause that's not how they play them. Vita has gotten flak for that too.

#43 Posted by kpaadet (409 posts) -

@habibyjohnson said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@habibyjohnson said:

Sigh.

And you think they care more about the vita aswell, I dont even know where to begin.

#44 Posted by 49th (2691 posts) -

I AGREE GIVE IT % STARS JEFF

#45 Posted by Grimluck343 (1148 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

Sigh.

It's a conspiracy man! I know it!

#46 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Grimluck343 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Sigh.

It's a conspiracy man! I know it!

Don't say it out loud, duder! they can't know that we know!

#47 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@habibyjohnson said:

Mind... is... breaking...

#48 Posted by joachimo (200 posts) -

Its a 'professional' review but its still on a personal level with the one reviewing it, you have to determine if you and in this case Jeff has the same taste in games.

#49 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Wait, what?

#50 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1914 posts) -

Sigh, another useless thread.