Giantbomb is sexist for not putting Tomb Raider in GOTY

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@radecau: you're point is fine except they put Gone Home on the list. That's the problem I have with it; they don't 'lack perspective', they just didn't like Tomb Raider as much.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

@cornbredx: Agreed to all of that. Its hard not to get annoyed with stuff like this, but it definitely is best to leave it alone and not bring it more attention.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By TheHumanDove

White males are just the worst

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

come again?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Tomb Raider was boring as shit.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scampbell said:
@metal_mills said:- "Jeff Gerstmann, Brad Shoemaker, Colin Moriarty, Greg Miller, Damon Hatfield, Ryan McCaffery, and Marty Sliva: I love your work."

I don't see how this translates to "sexist pig."

It actually translates to; "the reason you feel the way you do is because you're a man". The reason why they didn't think of that game for the GOTY is not because they're sexist pigs; it's because they're men. They didn't form their opinions in a valid manner because they're men.

I really don't read it that way, all she seems to be saying is that the lack of women in the industry might result in certain games being left out the discussions. Of course their opinions are valid. But a women might have wanted to discuss the game more because off its, as she feel, strong female character. She never said it should be game of the year, just that she wished it had been more present in the discussions due to that aspect.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@almostswedish: I also think you are missing the main point that this comes from a woman who only hires females for her studio..... Where is the other perspective?

I am sorry But hiring a news guy s totally fine. Hiring a women, a black person, a transgender, a homosexual, a Jew or anything else just because you will see different view point is highly racist and sexist to me. To me people are all the same no matter their gender, Race or sexuality. Hiring people based on this would totally defeat this.

If they need a news person they should hire one no matter if he/she is white, black, Asian or whatever.

This is not about her studio. This is about the voice of the industry, and its lack of diversity and ability to speak about non-traditional issues in regards to video games.

And again, I don't particularly care who the person behind the writing is as long at is good. You should hire writers who are capable of writing the kind of stuff you want them to write. But you should also consider that you might not be able to properly judge what actually is good writing when it comes to certain topics.

For example, about a week ago, Laurie Penny (a very well known white feminist) wrote a piece about the problems of racism within the feminist movement. However, the backlash from. non-white feminists was HUGE! You see, as accomplished a writer as Penny is, and as thoughtful things as she has written about feminism in the past, she just didn't have the proper perspective to write that piece.

And to bring it back to games, listen to the latest episode of the Brainy Gamer podcast where Steve Gaynor (og Gone Home fame). He talks about how he tried as best he could to do the proper research required to write that story, to be very careful not to offend anyone.
As you know, Gone Home ha been one of the most praised game of the year. It's gotten great review scores, people love the story. But as it turns out, if you listen to the interview, he got critisized by the very people he was trying to portray. You see, as a white dude, he just wasn't able to do it properly, no matter how hard he tried.

Finally, since this is probably the last post I'll make in this thread (it's 1 a.m over here!), I'd just like to take the time to point out that Tomb Raider is a fucking terrible game.

Good night!

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#108  Edited By JasonR86

Hah! Great. I like that the person who wrote it is the founder of 'Giant' Spacekat.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

I think there is an extreme dearth of diversity in games press period, and it has nothing to do with a lack of women, minorities, etc. Those are very superficial, surface-level definitions of diversity. It's that most of the gaming press is from heavily-liberal places like San Francisco or New York and so they largely have the same perspectives on things. That's fine, but I'd like to also hear from people who didn't unanimously love Gone Home, or who come from more varied educational and political backgrounds. There's already kind of a disproportionately high level of homosexuals/transgender folk on all kinds of game sites (which again, is totally fine) compared to other industries, but I'd like to hear from similar viewpoints to mine as well.

Her article is silly and ridiculous, by the way. Remember the outcries pre-release about the game being horribly sexist? And now it's the shining, historical example of a strong female lead? Give me a break...it's just a dumb article.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

:(

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By jimmyfenix

Tomb Raider was boring as shit.

Finally some one is speaking sense!

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By pr1mus

Tomb Raider is an average action game and is no more historically important than any number of other games with female protagonists.

I think anyone that puts more importance on a game purely because it has a female protagonist are weakening their cause. Let the games stand on their own merits.

Now i'll just go back to ignoring entirely the issue of sexism in games since as usual, despite it being a very real problem, 95% of articles and editorials on the subject are either shameless click bait or simply extremely weak opinion pieces such as this one.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@you_died said:

@disaya said:

@8bit_archer said:

I thought Tomb Raider was great. So Jeff and Brad didn't think it GOTY material, that doesn't mean they are sexiest. It means that they didn't like the Goddamn game. JESUS CHRIST!

But they are the sexiest! sorry......

#SexyNotSexist

#SorryNotSorry

#SorryNotSexist

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By development

@metal_mills said:

@omghisam said:

That's a lame flamebaity of summarizing her article.

The GB part of the article is summarized as "Tomb Raider is amazing because it features a historically strong women. They didn't like the gameplay but who cares? Should be GOTY but what should I expect from a bunch of men?". The entire thing is nothing but click bait.

Not click-bait. Sexist. She assumes the reason they dislike the game is because they're subconsciously sexist. That's sexist. And stupid. She must not know the staff very well, either, because they are just about the most un-bigoted people you can find who are still tolerable to listen to.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By crithon

I can think of a dozen reasons why Tomb Raider isn't on my game of the year doesn't make me sexist. Plus there are about 30 top ten lists featured in the front of the site ranging from women, famious directors, and internet personality and Tomb Raider featured heavily on those lists. There's an entire 12 hour 5 part debate podcast explaining the logic behind award process.

To be honest, Tomb Raider has a "you can do it" character arch that lasts for about 4 hours and then there's about 20 more hours of shooting dudes and her scooby gang of friends she must rescue maybe comically bad but they come off like the villagers in Road Warrior. So her real arch should have gone RADICALLY DIFFERENT into a mowhawk, scare across her face and cyborg arm Mad Max style hero character.

plus all the women I talk to about the game came off at the end going "when does she get the big boobs?" So no I don't think it's a very good game.

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By ElixirBronze

@metal_mills said:

Sorry Jeff, you sexist pig, your opinion is INVALID as a man! Get your dive kick shit OUTTA HERE cause Tomb Raider is like the Rosa Parks of the feminist movement.

That's not REALLY what she's saying though, if you read the entire article she argues that there should be more people in the games journalism industry that recognize when games does good things towards evening out the gender segregation we see in video games. I guess she's annoyed that Jeff and Brad wrote Tomb Raider off without mentioning anything about Lara being a strong woman and what have you. As I understand it, wheather the game is good or bad as a game is a completely different question.

Sure, she is exaggerating, but I personally wouldn't mind a woman in the bombcrew, if only to scale down their "dudebro-ness" that people seem to label them with. On the other hand, hiring a person based off of their sex probably just makes things worse.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it would be sexist (probably not) if the game was better. The combat can be fun, but at times there are just too much of it. Combat seems to just drag on and on, mostly due to dudes throwing stuff at me with the accuracy of freaking Odin, not giving me enough time line up headshots properly.

The game has a lot of false difficulty in some the instanta death moments (the waterfall) and quicktime events. There are just way too many of them. It is not hard, takes no skill, and just not fun. I find myself not even looking at the action on screen and just staring at the edges so i don't miss a quicktime event.

Also there are way too many press up and jump while things blow up/break around you. After about the fifth time, I just started audibly laughing every time I had to do it.

Tomb Raider is a ok game, but I'm pretty sure I can name ten games I liked better than it. Am I sexist? Maybe but not because I don't like this game.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

awesome. I'm curious to see what kind of game a sexist female bigot like her will produce.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#120  Edited By PandaBear

It's as bad as those emails Jeff mentioned this week on the Bombcast about people complaining about why GTA V isn't in the GOTY list. They said straight up Tomb Raider is good but has too many quick-time events and other issues to be one of the top 10 games of the year. Heaps of games got dismissed. I'd put Pokemon X/Y and Fire Emblem Awakening in my top 10... they don't agree, so be it. The writer of that article sounds like a pissed of fan-girl more than someone making a reasoned argument.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Tomb Raider is high up on my personal list for 2013, I thought it controlled well and the light metroidvania gear-gating of the island was well done.

Jeff was pretty quick to dismiss anything for any reason last year so I don't really put a lot of weight behind his opinions of games he doesn't like (though it is kind of fun to listen to his reasoning).

Brad has much more legitimate reasons for disliking Tomb Raider, he didn't really touch on them much during the GOTY podcasts other than to mention that he wanted more tomb raiding. Going back and reading his 4-Star review he also didn't really like the quick-timish sequences since he felt you barely played them (there was a lot of pushing forward). His biggest problem came from the cognitive dissonance of the story and action, he not only felt that her character arc from researcher to killer was too rushed but he also felt that the small character moments and the bombastic set-piece action scenes were at odds with one another.

I didn't have the same problems as Brad when I played through it myself. By the time I played it I was expecting her behavior to turn on a dime and it turns out that Brad built it up too much during the podcasts and it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. I think Crystal Dynamics effectively borrows from Spec Ops: The Line and changes Lara's barks to fit her character arc. So early on she winces when making kills and by the end of the game she runs into battle screaming a valkyrie war cry. I felt that her behavior in-game filled it some of the gaps that might have been missing in the cut-scenes. Maybe her bodycount is a little ridiculous but I thought Crystal was mostly effective in showing how she has to adapt quickly to survive.

I don't really think sexism (conscious or subconscious) factors into this at all. Jeff didn't play it (at least I think he may have only played it at a press conference), Brad has legitimate reasons for disliking the game and he seemed to have completely soured on it by the end of 2013, Vinny and Alex liked it, I don't think Patrick or Drew played it. Alex got it on the Game of the Year consideration list but it was cut without much of a fight after the second phase of picking. I think Tomb Raider partially falls victim to being released early in the year, not having memorable multiplayer and no post-release DLC. Bioshock Infinite was only released a few weeks later and even though its DLC hasn't been great it got people talking and thinking about the game again while Tomb Raider was probably mostly forgotten by the collective conscious until the Definitive Edition was announced. It didn't make any of the Giant Bomb team's Top 10 lists but games like Gone Home, The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite and The Swapper, games with strong female characters did make those lists so even if Tomb Raider is the most prominent game of the year with a female lead I don't think that factored in at all to the decision making.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I wonder what her reaction would be to male game developer who happily admits he only hires men as they 'click' with him. The aim should surely be for everyone to work together.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By TheHT

It's baffling to me that someone who's followed the industry for so long could think the new Lara Croft is "the most empowered, well-written, kick-ass women in all of video-game history". Even looking at 2013 alone, there's not a one mention of Remember Me's Nilin, who's actually empowered, well-written, and kicks heaps of ass, none of which is even central to the story. That stuff's just presented as "well yeah, of course she's awesome."

That's the sort of representation I'd much rather see more of. None of this blatant "she's a woman, but she's also so strong, look at how strong she is while still being a woman" stuff. Just make good characters, tell me good stories, design fun games.

But hey, if she liked Tomb Raider that much I ain't gonna tell her she's wrong in her enjoyment of it, even if she'd have the audacity to seriously call someone else's Game of the Year list invalid, like some random internet crybaby.

Speaking of which, who is this person exactly? Why should I care about her all-female video game company? Why is this blog different from all the other bullshit internet blogs about people complaining that x game got shafted? Oh, because she's a woman who found a way to tie that into all the other female-related controversies of 2013? Well that's fuckin dumb.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@pr1mus said:

Tomb Raider is an average action game and is no more historically important than any number of other games with female protagonists.

I think anyone that puts more importance on a game purely because it has a female protagonist are weakening their cause. Let the games stand on their own merits.

Now i'll just go back to ignoring entirely the issue of sexism in games since as usual, despite it being a very real problem, 95% of articles and editorials on the subject are either shameless click bait or simply extremely weak opinion pieces such as this one.

It was better than Uncharted was. It was certainly above average although I have no idea why people dismiss it so easily. Great controls, great gameplay, cool setting, tons of upgrades - it was honestly one of the best put together games of last year. The entire narrative dissonance discussion around it was ridiculous but what can you do. Apparently you can kill hundreds of people in any other game and somehow it fits the setting but in Tomb Raider it was just too much! It's a great game in my eyes regardless of what others think but it is a bit bizarre to me how it just didn't catch on.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tomb Raider was the most fun game of 2013 but whatever, it's not important for the medium at all.

I would point to 2013’s Lara Croft as one of the most empowered, well-written, kick-ass women in all of video-game history.

This sentence makes me laugh. I fucking loved Tomb Raider but this is just incorrect.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By superfriend

*pukes in mouth*

THIS is what humanity has come to. Fucking die. Everybody.

On a more serious note: I played Tomb Raider and I liked it. Wouldn´t have been GOTY material if it was a pissing asexual lemur in the starring role. Uncharted 2 is better than Tomb Raider and Uncharted 2 has been out for a long time. If everybody wasn´t so up their own ass about gender issues or whatever the new shit is these days, they would write articles on how Tomb Raider shows amazing potential at times (it has elements of open world survival) but then just squanders it in favor of some good ol´unchartin´.

I´m all for some unchartin´.. but that shit is soooo 2012 and it was kinda stale even then.

Edit: And the supporting characters were stupid. Even Gears 2 did the in-tune-with-nature stereotype better (and they killed him faster).

McGray90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By McGray90

Tries to make a good point but goes about it very poorly. More women in the industry would be a good thing, I don't think anyone can deny that. Saying that people must recognise a game because of a certain point, despite it's quality, is flawed, positive discrimination is still discrimination and goes against the equality she preaches throughout.

Doesn't insult Giantbomb though,admits she's a huge fan of anyone she mentions, so don't think it's flame bait, unless you only read the first two paragraphs.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hrm, I liked Tomb Raider despite it's obvious story flaws. But this seems weird. Lara was displayed good for the most part, but the sudden jump from "I hesitate to kill a deer" to "Whohoo, die asshole, die!" was a serious problem. I fully understand why this game was not inculded in any GotY discussion on GB. I doubt this has something to do with the crew being sexist.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welcome to 2014, same uninformed, butthurt response to a well-written critique y'alls probably didn't even bother to read.

That's okay, the year is still young and we can grow into it together <3

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, what?

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenlight: We just like to watch the world burn....dude.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@mcgray90: she really needs to work on her logical fallacies. I mean wow. I think she was trying to "catch'em all"

brandonleedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By brandonleedy

I've really appreciated Patrick's work on the Interview Dumptruck, as well as his written pieces/interviews on the myriad of perspectives and viewpoints that different games and their devs try to explore. These viewpoints span beyond just the balance of gender representation in gaming. I also understand that more diverse voices could bring about greater consideration for a more diverse set of games. Compared to other gaming sites, I've found GB to be a breath of fresh air. That all being said, Giant Bomb, as much we I love it, is a business. I think Jeff actually mentioned in a recent Jarcast, something to the effect that he'd like to hire more people — even ones with more focused voices on a specific topic — but he has to justify it from a business perspective. Or at the very least, make enough money in the rest of the site that he can hire who he wants, so they can write whatever they see fit, so he can tell the CBSi folks, "Her's the money we made, leave us alone to do what we want." That is a reality in the whole industry, which probably leads other sites to cater to the "boys' club" atmosphere because their audience's most vocal/incendiary demographic _is_ a boys' club... it feeds into itself.

Admittedly, as much as I _personally_ may like Patrick's work (and I'm not alone), there always seems to be someone in the GB community/comments/boards that pitches a fit when Patrick has tried to address gender issues specifically (similar to comments in this thread, though please don't take this as a blanket generality). If Patrick's pieces cause even small incendiary comments/ill will toward the site from some users, what is going to motivate GB to push for more content like it? It is getting better, and I feel at times the community is maturing and more open to discussions of this nature without resorting to garbage mob mentalities. There can be well-reasoned opinions that don't agree with the articles being posted or with the general consensus. Those make for the best discussions, especially on issues which may never have a clear answer/resolution. The "Checking Your Blind Spots" episode of the Interview Dumptruck is an example of covering this ongoing discussion — and the comments on it are what they are, for better or worse.

But what would a Giant Bomb look like with say, twice the amount of news/content on games/devs representing the difficult social issues of the day? Is there even that much "content" to write about? I feel that one of Giant Bomb's strengths is its more pithy approach. They don't review every game or cover every "controversy" because much of it can be noise. Diversity balance in games is certainly not noise, but if there was an article about it every day, or if every game had some feature on the gender/race balance, it may start to _feel_ like noise — forced, unnecessary in some instances, and possibly a bit insulting. If you finished "The Last of Us" or "Gone Home" and thought, "Does this game need more badass girl characters?" you'd think, "Self, I just played two of the best games of the year and they had strong, well-written female characters in spades. Ellie, Tess, Samantha and Lonnie." Two games does not a gender balance make (three if you consider Lara's character strong, despite the hate storm around it's release for her pseudo-sexual grunts of pain and some god-awfully-wrong-headed comments by the games devs), but needless to say, moving the moss-covered boulder that is people's predispositions is generally slow going — but it one day will pick up speed. Giant Bomb is making good steps forward, and more steps than most in my opinion. Does that mean they're "the most diverse site" forever? Obviously not. If the site is to keep growing and maturing, that means a constant state of betterment. How they do that while still remaining "Giant Bomb" is frankly not for us, the readers to decide. But if any site has a shot at being a decent place where everyone of all kinds can think about and discuss games, Giant Bomb is that site in my book.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@omghisam said:

Her argument wasn't GB is sexist for not liking TR it's that there are few women in the room during goty discussions.minority opinions aren't considered, so it's a systemic problem not particular to just Jeff and the gang. Maybe allow for nuisance in other peoples arguments without jumping to grab your pitchforks to defend vidyagames.

Also this isn't clickbait because it's a medium article without ads. At worst it's just an opinion piece you may not agree with.

This is also a good summary.

She doesn't attack anyone straight out. At the end she even says that she highly respects, among others, Jeff and the staff at Giant Bomb. She even sings high praise for GB in the first few opening paragraphs.

It's unfortunate this thread was titled in a way to attack a fairly reasonable person just trying to express their opinion without insulting anyone along the way.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe Giant Bomb's stance on Tomb Raider and women is this: It's admirable that Tomb Raider is making strides in the issue of women in games, but there were other games in 2013 with strong female characters that we think are better and more interesting to discuss like Bioshock Infinite, Gone Home, and The Last of Us. I'm sure they felt that Tomb Raider was not as great of a game as they would have liked, and that Lara Croft's gender was not much of a factor in that decision.

Giant Bomb, despite consisting entirely of straight white males, is doing the best they can in highlighting games outside of their point of view. Patrick, especially, is helping to contribute to that, and while it'd be cool if Giant Bomb had some more diversity among their ranks, they're trying really hard right now. Heck, they gave The Last of Us their GOTY, even! A game that without Ellie would probably not even make the site's top ten list, let alone number one!

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of the twenty or so new games I played this year, Tomb Raider was probably somewhere around 15th best. Obviously because I'm a filthy misogynist.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm consistently surprised by how much some people care about GOTY awards.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#140  Edited By Trilogy

@humanity said:

@omghisam said:

Her argument wasn't GB is sexist for not liking TR it's that there are few women in the room during goty discussions.minority opinions aren't considered, so it's a systemic problem not particular to just Jeff and the gang. Maybe allow for nuisance in other peoples arguments without jumping to grab your pitchforks to defend vidyagames.

Also this isn't clickbait because it's a medium article without ads. At worst it's just an opinion piece you may not agree with.

She doesn't attack anyone straight out. At the end she even says that she highly respects, among others, Jeff and the staff at Giant Bomb. She even sings high praise for GB in the first few opening paragraphs.

It's unfortunate this thread was titled in a way to attack a fairly reasonable person just trying to express their opinion without insulting anyone along the way.

Fair point, but that doesn't make Tomb Raider GOTY. Maybe it is for her, but the rest of the population shouldn't feel obligated to throw it on their GOTY lists just because female developer wrote it. Guess what? I don't think Tomb Raider is that interesting of a game, and that includes it's story. It's in no way a bad game in any respect, but it was a pretty forgettable experience for me. While I was playing it, I wasn't thinking to myself, "Wow! I'm so happy a woman wrote this!" Don't get me wrong, I hope MORE people of every walk of life get into making video games. I want as many diverse games from different perspectives as possible. It's just not something I'm going to obsess about or even think about as I'm playing the game. I can separate those two things, and I think it's healthy to do so. The quality of a game should rest on it's strengths and not the circumstance of who made it and how. For example, when I play Braid, I don't think about the fact that it was made largely by one person. It's an interesting afterthought, and certainly a topic for discussion outside of actually playing the game, but it doesn't make Braid better or worse because of it. In the context of the Game of the year award deliberations, those circumstances shouldn't be the driving force of whether or not a game makes the list. The QUALITY of the game should be the deciding factor.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Disgusting article. I think tomb raider was one of the best games this year, but not because the main char was a female. Incredibly stupid people still have access to the internet I guess.

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By billymaysrip

@humanity said:

@omghisam said:

I feel like the problem is that she calls out Giantbomb in particular, and usually upsets people. Besides from the wiki stuff, GB is really based on the personalities in the office. People come back to this site to see the gang, not really the games. The personal connection is what separates GB from other sites. People seem to be reacting so angrily because most people reeeealllly care about this website and especially the integrity of the crew. Brad, Vinny, Patrick, and Alex all championed Gone Home and people seem to loose their shit over feminist articles from Patrick. Singling out Giantbomb felt a bit unfair, because it relies on you agreeing that Tomb Raider is a good game, because of the support for a game with a strong woman lead, and because the site's general support for articles that address women's issues.

What is unfortunate is that the starting point of the article was a rather innocuous discussion of Tomb Raider, being used as an example of a larger phenomena in games journalism, than instead of a better examples like Petit's GTAV review or the reaction to Dragon's Crown.

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By IAmNotBatman

I liked Tomb Raider, just liked other games a lot too.

Gordy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#144  Edited By Gordy

@metal_mills said:

https://medium.com/the-magazine/1b56d8c8a1fb

Haha, just joking...oh wait...

- "2013 Tomb Raider isn’t just a very good game, it’s a historically important one."

- "And I know from 28 years of watching the industry that no one will pay serious attention to 2013 Tomb Raider as a game-of-the-year (GOTY) contender, no matter the site or publication. In an industry where men fund the games, develop the games, publish the games, and—most importantly here—review the games, observations like these simply go unheard."

- "their consciousness on why games like 2013 Tomb Raiderare important remains extremely low, as you might expect from a crowd of men sitting around discussing the games they love."

Sorry Jeff, you sexist pig, your opinion is INVALID as a man! Get your dive kick shit OUTTA HERE cause Tomb Raider is like the Rosa Parks of the feminist movement.

uh.... did you not read the article at all? She praised Jeff and Giant Bomb quite a bit. Criticism doesn't equal hate. She's just saying that she would like a woman on the team, basically. Her way of saying that is pretty ham-fisted and silly, but she's not AT ALL saying Giant Bomb is sexist.

I mean seriously, while I agree with her that a woman's perspective on the team would be great, her article is basically a "my favorite game didn't make it on the GOTY list" forum post.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We need a female crew member? Can we recruit Leigh Alexander? Please?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I think Tomb Raider is better than any of the Uncharted games for what its worth. It came close to being on my list but well... just too much stuff this year. Any other year it would have though. Seriously contemplating buying the PS4 version because I enjoyed it so much.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#148  Edited By JasonR86

Also is she assuming that if more women were involved in GOTY discussions Tomb Raider would be in more top tens? As if to say women automatically like Tomb Raider? Lol, ok. Hey isn't sexism in part assuming things about people because of their sex alone? Huh.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe she called out Brad as the most sexist over Vinny "Cunt" Caravella.

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tomb Raider is one of my favorite games of the year.