Giantbomb making a huge push for Premium...

• 87 results
Azurath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Azurath

It's obvious they are putting more money into selling their premium content than before. The YouTube bumper, the banner at the top of the site, the new $35 for a year membership deal.

That's all great, and I am sure (and sure hope) it helps sell memberships, but why is there still so little regularly scheduled premium content?

Why do we not get *at least* two or three guaranteed premium shows a week? With Pat being able to produce his own content, Vinny and Alex being able to, and then Jeff and the gang being able to, I don't see why there aren't three different "Unprofessional" styled premium shows a week. Even if Pat's is just him doing Spookin once a week, and Vinny and Alex just play some dumb game off Steam, that is WAY more appealing for potential subs than just "We give you UPF every Friday and then sometimes other things.".

This isn't a complaint about the content, or lack of content, but how it is scheduled to appeal to a wider audience. The current offering probably sounds really terrible to people who don't know the site all that well. I also want to note, I currently am not a premium member, but that is because I can't afford it as of late. I have bought premium memberships a couple times, so I am well aware of how great an offering it is, but many new members wont be simply because they are not marketing themselves correctly.

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm confident we will see more premium content next week once they are all settled in from Pax and are done hammering out content ideas. I think they even mentioned something about expecting more soon.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Strife777

Because there isn't an infinite amount of (interesting) games. Spookin' with Scoops can only happen so many times before he runs out of games to play and with October coming, he will need as much as possible for Shocktober.

Vinny and Alex are still figuring things out over in New York and most of the stuff they can really do right now can easily be turned into regular Quick Looks.

Right now, we have Metal Gear Scanlon plus UPF every week. I don't know, to me things are fine. I don't think they're particularly making that big of a push for anything. I'm pretty the subscription sale happens more than once every year.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Annual memberships run out around this time, it's to be expected.

The Big Live Live Show Live was basically a giant ad for premium, too.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Wait there's a 35 dollar price? If I try to resub early will it just tack on time to the end of my thing now?

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want a 3-hour wrestling podcast/wrestling retro game podcast once per week! Let them play every single wrestling video game ever produced including Japanese only NES games!

Alternatively, one 2/3-hour wrestling retro video game show with Jeff and Dan.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wheres the guy with the yearly video stats?

I don't know his username, but if you say it three times in the mirror at midnight you get turned into a pie-chart.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I think UPF and the occasional streams are definitely enough for me. Rather have them keep things flexible and produce content when they can and do exactly what they want. Stuff like the Metal Gear Scanlon videos.

There's plenty of content coming out right now.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

September, October, and November appear to be rip-roaring times for games, so hopefully it will step up then.

I agree on principle that there should be a bit more consistency in the premium content, but considering that GBEast is only barely operational as we speak, Gamespot just laid off a huge number of staff, and PAX just happened with, from what I hear, a rip-roarer of a panel, I would expect that CBSi is perhaps leaning on them a bit hard to get more memberships on the receipts.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait there's a 35 dollar price? If I try to resub early will it just tack on time to the end of my thing now?

Im not sure if the deal is still up but it was for new members only.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By jkz

While I generally am happy with the premium content that I get as a subscriber, I definitely agree that it would seem a far more enticing offer (at least to people who don't just buy subs to support the site, like myself) if there were some order and dependability to their premium content - beyond weekly UPF and "ehhhh a couple times a week?" MGS.

On the other hand, order has never been a GB strong suit, so I don't really know that I expect much change in that regard in the future (again, not that I much mind personally because hey, I love chaos). At the least it seems like they're doing pretty alright in picking up subscribers, so hopefully that means there's enough people out their with faith in them to support the model as it stands? I dunno, I don't have the numbers.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

@azurath said:

Even if Pat's is just him doing Spookin once a week, and Vinny and Alex just play some dumb game off Steam, that is WAY more appealing for potential subs than just "We give you UPF every Friday and then sometimes other things.".

I disagree. I think there should be less "the crew play random games" in premium content. It's never been their best stuff and sometimes even comes off a little forced. If I wanted to watch some lets plays there are other places I could go and for free. What I want is more Big Red Phone and less SNES Party.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By alternate

You have been getting more than two or three pieces of content a week since Ryckert joined. Excluding premium podcasts, last week gave us spookin and 2 metal gear.. The week before, wow, mgs, jar time and upf.

They only commit to the friday show as they are not sure who is in, what events are on, when pubs visit to demo games, etc.. Alows them to be flexible.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dystopiax: It was just one of their sales. I got mine for $35 back around mothers day and got a lovely image of them all that I would present to my mother, but she'd probably commission me to a mental home.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want more live premium content

jimbozu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have been working towards more regularly scheduled premium content with Metal Gear Scanlon, 30 Days of Warcraft, and Demo Derby. Vinny and Alex are all set up for adding more to that, but I'm pretty sure their focus was to get the studio set up before Vinny went on paternity leave.

And Patrick do what Patrick does. While he can produce his own content it does take a lot of work, and he still has to supply us with the SCOOPS.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

It would be nice if they were playing more better games (I'm actually not a big fan of the MGS series; listening to Dan talk about it is like listening to Rorie talk about puppies), but it'd also be nice if I were playing more better games. It's been forever since something worthwhile came out. Seriously, when was it?

Lausebub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lausebub
@bocam said:

I want more live premium content

Dito. I would love to see them live stream the next Metal Gear Scanlon episode. Or at least the final one.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, there's been more content than I've been able to keep up with. I usually have Sunday afternoons full of the previous week's content for catch up. Maybe I'm just busier these days, but I feel like they've been doing a killer job. Obviously they were busy last week and this week with PAX, traveling, and the holiday.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge said:

Wheres the guy with the yearly video stats?

I don't know his username, but if you say it three times in the mirror at midnight you get turned into a pie-chart.

hahahaha, I had the exact same though when reading the op.

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Used to be a premium member but the lack of weekend and evening programming made it a bust for us.

The appeal of it live programming wasn't there, so we found ourselves doing other things.

avenlaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By avenlaya

I think Premium content will start increasing pretty soon. You have to think of all the stuff that San Fran office has gone through the past 6 months as they hired 2 new people and said goodbye to 1. Jeff had to have been doing meetings for a good while to plan out everything that has happened these last few months that I'm sure it's finally going to start slowing down some to get back onto content for the site.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

There used to be a lot of talk on forums about the bombers being careful of putting out too much premium content in consideration of non-subs.

I feel like that sentiment's changed.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those that are wondering about what Youtube bumper:

Loading Video...

I think the biggest perk of premium membership is access to the archives: there's almost 4 years of premium content up on the site now and that's not even counting the premium podcasts. All for the low, low price of $5 a month or $49 yearly!

While I agree that more regularly scheduled premium content would be better (the only weekly fixtures are Alt-F1, the lesser premium Bombcast and UPF, though now there's also Breaking Drew), premium content always was an opportunity for the staff to indulge in their passions and interests. Whether that's movies, Formula 1, wrestling, horror games or dragging the entire staff into the hell hole that is Mario Party.

There's a fine line between spontaneity and consistency, but somehow I trust that the guys are keenly aware of that.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

There used to be a lot of talk on forums about the bombers being careful of putting out too much premium content in consideration of non-subs.

I feel like that sentiment's changed.

I would agree with you, but the non-subscriber content has increased year by year.

*Looks in the mirror* It's not midnight but...

STATS GUY

STATS GUY

STATS GUY

Tomba_be

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The quantity of Premium videos has always been very irregular. Fortunately the quality's been very high, I even enjoy watching them play games I have absolutely no interest in or even dislike. It's always been personality-driven, and as long as the crew is interesting and funny I'll keep watching. I even started to like Dan since I now understand he's the Carl Pilkington of the gang. Except wrestling. I didn't like the circus when I was a kid, so I definitely don't like an even dumber kind of circus as an adult. I don't mind them talking about it once very while, because it's one of their interests, but taking it serious doesn't really suit adults...

That being said, it's a really weird time to do a promo for the Premium subscription at a moment when there is almost no content whatsoever. Even the 'coming up on Giant Bomb' box has been replaced with a 'Latest Premium Content' box with "old" stuff in it.

chortleofearl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

as someone who recently purchased premium, i have no complaints. i should of gotten it years ago. as for their content not being 'consistent', it is inherent in their industry. i think the format is much more honest than a lot of other formats out there. nothing against streamers on twitch, but calling it a 'donation' isn't really accurate most of the time.

as for the value, it depends on the person. i never really considered the value of their archives until i realized how much is there.

the youtube commercial was really funny and very well edited.

EwanSuttie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I dunno, I think if you listen to what Jeff says a lot is that gaming coverage is becoming more personality based. With that in mind I think its really up to the new folk: Dan and Jason (and to a certain extent Drew, who we are seeing more in front of camera), to figure out what they want their little slice of Giantbomb to be. To me, that is a bit more compelling than "we must provide 2 shows a week, go figure out what that second show is". Demo Derby, Metal Gear Scanlon, and Mario Party Party are the first steps, and the reason I think they are so great is that the guys clearly enjoy making them. There were times of TNT that the attitude seemed to be "oh shit we have to put on a show this week, err someone pick a game!", the less of that obligation they feel the better the content is I think, even if that means a little uncertainty in what you get for your subscription.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#30 MattyFTM  Moderator

I think they need to find a balance. The lack of rigid structure means they can be spontaneous and roll with random ideas that spring out of no where. I mean, they randomly came up with the idea for Demo Derby, MGS was one of the demo's and Metal Gear Scanlon came from that. If they were in a rigid structure having to churn out X number of shows every week, it probably wouldn't have happened like that. But being able to guarantee that every week (excluding Christmas, thanksgiving, PAX and E3 weeks) there is going to be a decent selection of premium content would be a massive selling point and a great thing for premium members.

And I'm sure they're going to get to that position. Dan and Jason are still settling into their new roles, Vinny and Alex barely have their eastern office up and running (and they're moving office sometime soon, so that's more chaos) and many of Patrick's plans for content appear to have gone on hiatus for now (we could speculate on the reasoning for that, but that would be dumb and isn't a discussion to be had here). Everything is slowly falling into place, and the grand plan of Giant Bomb's world domination is coming together, but it's not going to happen overnight.

Azurath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azurath said:

Even if Pat's is just him doing Spookin once a week, and Vinny and Alex just play some dumb game off Steam, that is WAY more appealing for potential subs than just "We give you UPF every Friday and then sometimes other things.".

I disagree. I think there should be less "the crew play random games" in premium content. It's never been their best stuff and sometimes even comes off a little forced. If I wanted to watch some lets plays there are other places I could go and for free. What I want is more Big Red Phone and less SNES Party.

Sure, but either way I am just talking about the general idea of having a more consistent schedule, not the actual content in said schedule. I looooove the content that GB has been putting out, but it honestly seems a little dry if you aren't already a fan of the site.

Another idea, maybe feature a piece of old content once a day/week on the front page? Throwback Thursday could maybe replace TNT? I could pretty much guarantee that they could sell more subs if they "abused" their back catalog of premium content a bit.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sort of related, but the upcoming section has been bugged for me for a while. It keeps listing old things coming up (like episode 4 of Metal Gear Scanlon has been there for a week).

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Occasionally UPF seems like a chore they're indebted to do rather than a party. Party content is the best. Mario Party Party, Papa Vinny's Pizza Party, Unarchived Retrogames Party, Thanksgiving Break Parties, Christmas Break Parties.

I wish I could find it again but I remember that stream called GAAAAAAMMMMMMEEEESSSSS or something was great. I think it was Christmas '09 or maybe '10. That stream is the life I want to live.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Occasionally UPF seems like a chore they're indebted to do rather than a party. Party content is the best. Mario Party Party, Papa Vinny's Pizza Party, Unarchived Retrogames Party, Thanksgiving Break Parties, Christmas Break Parties.

I wish I could find it again but I remember that stream called GAAAAAAMMMMMMEEEESSSSS or something was great. I think it was Christmas '09 or maybe '10. That stream is the life I want to live.

Was that the one with Matthew Rorie shoeless whilst the Star Trek: Enterprise opening played in the background over distorted, monstrous talking?

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaff: The best part of that video is that they use Lockdown as the background music.

The_Patriarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By The_Patriarch

@kishinfoulux: That's because that's not the upcoming schedule. Its a new box showing off the newest premium content.

The Upcoming box is still around, but it's not showing up right now because nothing is scheduled.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crembaw said:

@brodehouse said:

Was that the one with Matthew Rorie shoeless whilst the Star Trek: Enterprise opening played in the background over distorted, monstrous talking?

Nah, it's the one where they played Sewer Shark for way too long. ... I think. I feel like they've played Sewer Shark and Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball like sixty fucking times.

Here's an old thread referencing that it got lost in the justin.tv move over but that it might still exist somewhere.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By splodge

@azurath said:

Another idea, maybe feature a piece of old content once a day/week on the front page? Throwback Thursday could maybe replace TNT? I could pretty much guarantee that they could sell more subs if they "abused" their back catalog of premium content a bit.

That is great idea. you should sling that Jeff's way. He is pretty proactive with his tumblr : http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/

@crembaw is this what youa re talking about? Because it's freakin great. Jeff, Ryan and Rorie get progressively drunker (Rorie gets shitfaced) and Vinny just goes batshit crazy in the control room. It's my favorite Giant Bomb video ever.

Loading Video...

Azurath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge said:

@azurath said:

That is great idea. you should sling that Jeff's way. He is pretty proactive with his tumblr : http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/

I sent it his way, I hope he sees it. I feel like, at the very least, it wouldn't hurt to try.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been nice seeing Dan increase the output of Premium Content. He's helped push like 3 separate series since he joined 2 months ago.

Demo Derby has some potential.

Metal Gear Scanlon has been great and I hope they go through all 4 main games in the series.

The 30 day Trial was something, if maybe a bit boring due to the very nature of MMOs.

I guess the main thing I hope for is that we don't return to the time where we could go for weeks on end with only one premium show a week.

Avatar image for thefatdetective
TheFatDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me the premium has always sounded good to me. Professional Fridays has always been its biggest appeal but now they have detailed what you get it seems like really good value.

The one big problem they have, which they some what have resolved is actually stating what you get. I literally had no idea there were premium podcasts and I've been following the site for years. I am excited about what GB east can offer for premium content.

I'll be signing up soon, though more longer running videos would be good. Stuff like what Kessler and the other intern did would be good ( playing horror themed games). Get your interns on camera doing themed stuff like this. It would be a good way to break in new talent and beef up content.

The_Patriarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crembaw said:

@brodehouse said:

Nah, it's the one where they played Sewer Shark for way too long. ... I think. I feel like they've played Sewer Shark and Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball like sixty fucking times.

Here's an old thread referencing that it got lost in the justin.tv move over but that it might still exist somewhere.

If its the stream that starts with a bunch of MK, and also has some of that Marky Mark Make My Video game along with Sewer Shark, then that is definitely on Youtube.

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By OGJackWagon69

I always tell me friends that the premuim content can be infrequent, but when it does come, you really are genuinely glad you got that membership.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge: Moustache Ryan is my favorite Ryan Davis skin.

Possibly next to Big Hair Ryan and Bleached Gamer Dweeb Ryan.

edit: WELL THOSE ARE REALLY VISIBLE.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

There always feels like enough premium content to me. I don't have all the time in the world to watch every single GB video, so I never feel like I am running out of content to watch.

I'm a couple of months behind on UPF and that suits me fine. I always have something to watch.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Giant Bomb has that craaazy uncle syndrome going on.

You know like the uncle that is supposed to pick you up from school and the first few times he shows up 3 hours early, gets you out of class, lets you drink a beer and it's awesome. Then the next few times he's 3 hours late, hungover and not in a good mood. And it's funny for a while but you just need some sort of stability here, except any time you mention it you're told that if you don't like it you can walk home by yourself.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#48 fisk0  Moderator
@mattyftm said:

I think they need to find a balance. The lack of rigid structure means they can be spontaneous and roll with random ideas that spring out of no where. I mean, they randomly came up with the idea for Demo Derby, MGS was one of the demo's and Metal Gear Scanlon came from that. If they were in a rigid structure having to churn out X number of shows every week, it probably wouldn't have happened like that. But being able to guarantee that every week (excluding Christmas, thanksgiving, PAX and E3 weeks) there is going to be a decent selection of premium content would be a massive selling point and a great thing for premium members.

And I'm sure they're going to get to that position. Dan and Jason are still settling into their new roles, Vinny and Alex barely have their eastern office up and running (and they're moving office sometime soon, so that's more chaos) and many of Patrick's plans for content appear to have gone on hiatus for now (we could speculate on the reasoning for that, but that would be dumb and isn't a discussion to be had here). Everything is slowly falling into place, and the grand plan of Giant Bomb's world domination is coming together, but it's not going to happen overnight.

Yeah, their best stuff have been the things where they just chose to try something out and end up making a regular feature of it - the Bioforge endurance run started as funny thing on UPF, Load our last save/souls started out with Drew or someone just noticing they still had a save game from Halo (if I recall correctly that was the first part) on their Xbox one and decided to finish it, and then returned with other games they had incomplete saves from.

UPF has had it's low points probably exactly because it is a scheduled feature where they have to do something even when they don't really have any enthusiasm or ideas for that week. So it's probably best that they stick to doing the stuff they think is fun and sharing that as premium features, rather than being obliged to do some feature every week. I do wish Patrick, Dan, Jeff etc did feel like sharing their private streams on GB more often though. For some reason when Patrick played Dark Souls he didn't want to put it on the site, Dan has streamed Diablo III but never put any archived of it on the site, and Jeff has done similar stuff with C64 games. If they just put that stuff up as premium archives, I don't think we'd be starved for premium content.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Corwag

With this big premium push, they do need a better upcoming schedule of pay-content. As of now it's just UPF and Alt+F1 guaranteed each week...and that isn't enough to push a newcomer over the edge. Spookin' happens whenever Patrick's wife is away, Powerbomb cast and boxoffice bomb is, again, whenever they feel like. I'm not saying it's not enough for me, but I can see where someone would want a better grasp on when things are happening in order to decide if they want to plunk money down.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#50  Edited By damswedon

@brodehouse said:

@crembaw said:

@brodehouse said:

If its the stream that starts with a bunch of MK, and also has some of that Marky Mark Make My Video game along with Sewer Shark, then that is definitely on Youtube.

I think you just described every time they have played the Mega Drive/Genesis on a stream.