• 68 results
#1 Edited by StarvingGamer (7917 posts) -

Using the same formula as @thatfrood's Commuty GotY calculations (vote now before there's still time!) I've gone ahead and aggregated all of the staff GotY lists. Basically, a #1 rank is worth 10 points down to a #10 rank which is only worth 1 point.

The Official Lists:

Drew Scanlon's Top Ten

Patrick Klepek's Top Ten

Vinny Caravella's Top Ten

Brad Shoemaker's Top Ten

Jeff Gerstmann's Top Ten

Alex Navarro's Top Ten

The results are as follows:

1. The Last of Us (45)

2. Gone Home (33)

3. Tie - BioShock Infinite (32) ; The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (32)

5. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (28)

6. Saints Row IV (20)

7. Super Mario 3D World (17)

8. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (16)

9. Papers, Please (15.5)

10. Rogue Legacy (13)

Compared against Giantbomb's Top Ten

1. The Last of Us 2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, 3. BioShock Infinite, 4. Gone Home, 5. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, 6. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag, 7. Dota 2, 8. Divekick, 9. Papers, Please, 10. Rogue Legacy

(note: These thoughts were formed before listening to the Best Game section of the day 5 podcast) The lack of SRIV from the official list doesn't completely surprise me. While it scored decently, I imagine for most of them it was more of a guilty pleasure type of game in a year where they all needed some guilty pleasures. Most intriguing is the placement of Divekick on the official list considering that it ended up higher than Rogue Legacy despite the fact that Jeff, the only person with Divekick on their personal list, actually has it ranked lower than Rogue Legacy.

And here's the rest - Dota 2 (10) ; Antichamber (9) ; The Stanley Parable (9) ; Rayman Legends (8) ; Gunpoint (6) ; Year Walk (6) ; Divekick (5) ; DmC Devil May Cry (5) ; Beyond: Two Souls (4) ; Grand Theft Auto V (4) ; Dead Rising 3 (3) ; Fire Emblem: Awakening (3) ; Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (3) ; The Swapper (2) ; F1 2013 (1) ; Tearaway (0.5)

EDIT: Oh yeah, The Last of Us, totally figures.

#2 Posted by LiquidPrince (15833 posts) -

Last of Us getting what it deserves.

#3 Posted by BeachThunder (11643 posts) -

Yay, I'm glad someone did this. It's always interesting to see how the averaged-out list compares to the groupthink list.

#4 Posted by StarvingGamer (7917 posts) -

Yeah, anyone who acted surprised about that clearly wasn't paying attention all week.

#5 Posted by thosewholeft (3 posts) -

Nice work.

#6 Edited by HistoryInRust (6268 posts) -
@starvinggamer said:

@liquidprince said:

Yeah, anyone who acted surprised about that clearly wasn't paying attention all week.

Less surprised. Just bored.

#7 Edited by TheMasterDS (2008 posts) -

So the REAL GotY is actually TLOU? Outrageous!

#8 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

I thought you were going to post Windjammers.

Now I'm super disappointed

#9 Edited by valeo (36 posts) -

@starvinggamer said:

@liquidprince said:

This is why naming 'GotY's' is flawed. People get bored when the best game is named best game; but if they choose something a bit different everyone is up in arms because they didn't choose the obviously best game. Catch 22.

#10 Posted by Milkman (16483 posts) -

Gunpoint still doesn't get its due. Damn shame.

#11 Edited by NoelVeiga (1063 posts) -

This is very interesting. I like that it's consistent with their official list, but I also find the discrepancies interesting. DOTA, mostly, entirely on Brad's obsession about the remake of an old-ass Warcraft mod, but also Divekick out of nepotism and experiencing it at its best (on big events, with the controllers, that stuff). The relative shunning of Rogue Legacy, which is my personal GOTY, which after watching the podcast seems to come down to Alex disliking it and maybe politics to get some other games in the list.

From the podcast, Gunpoint is interesting, too. Even though it didn't make the list, it was debated and talked about highly, getting cut at the end alongside Mario, but it seems to have no presence in this at all. Again, I suspect some personal connections colouring the debate. I think Gunpoint is a competent, fun game, and a very solid first effort, but without the guys knowing the personal history behind it, I don't think it would have been in contention.

So yeah, this does what it should do. The guys are open in discussing the GOTYs, and that's fun and informative. Seeing their individual opinions aggregated adds another layer to that. Nice job, @starvinggamer, you should do this next year as well.

#12 Posted by TruthTellah (8411 posts) -

Thanks for doing this, @starvinggamer! I'm actually surprised how close their final list came to this kind of formula-made list.

#13 Posted by bigjeffrey (4709 posts) -

some how sneak Dota 2 in there.

#14 Posted by TheHT (10804 posts) -

some how sneak Dota 2 in there.

Yeah, somehow.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17z5fjhss8k7rgif/cmt-medium.gif

#15 Posted by Ramone (2954 posts) -
#16 Posted by Sergio (2037 posts) -

I don't feel scoring 10 points for 1st and 1 for 10th really works well with a small number of ballots, so I wouldn't really consider this their "real" GOTY. In that system, a game that is 10th on all six ballots comes out lower compared to one game that came in 4th on one ballot and never appears on any other ballot. You'd really need to apply other weighting.

Nothing against Gone Home (currently my 10th best game of the year), even though it is only 1 point ahead of it on your list, but 4 out of 6 times it came below Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, and was never ranked above 3rd. Not really second place material.

#17 Posted by l4wd0g (1892 posts) -

If that's how they wanted to do their GotY they would have... but they didn't. The Giant Bomb crew uses a political system much like the Oscars. And they let us hear it, which is awesome.

#18 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1230 posts) -

I actually did the calculations this morning just for fun so I am glad someone else posted to REAL list. Interesting to see how some games snuck in there to take some other spots....Poor Mario

#19 Posted by Sammo21 (3203 posts) -

The fact DOTA2 isn't on this list speaks volumes.

#20 Posted by ElixirBronze (414 posts) -

Seriously though, I loved Gone Home and what it tried to do, but the crazy amounts of praise it has gotten this year is a little ridiculous. And Dota 2 on the official list but not Mario? What? (haven't listened to the podcast yet).

#21 Edited by UitDeToekomst (699 posts) -

yeah, i was pretty surprised that Saints Row IV was axed rather quickly in the discussions, as it seemed like everyone liked it at least a fair amount. I loved that game. It's definitely in my personal top 3. Everything else seems to align pretty well with the obvious exception of DOTA.

#22 Edited by Irishdoom (333 posts) -

Kicking off Mario while keeping things like DOTA 2 (which many would argue isn't even the best game in its genre) and Divekick is crazy. I like being surprised by the staff's overall picks sometimes, but they can also easily get too cute. And that's what they did with the overall list this year.

I know this is weird and whatnot, but I wonder what the lost influence of one staff member did to change the way things got ultimately hashed out. The Bombcast needs another strong voice from a different perspective. Brad should not have been able to force DOTA 2 on the list, and Divekick should have been a "tied for 11th" type game.

Oh, and this is also where I think they really could have used someone like Jeff Green on staff! :)

#23 Edited by Noblenerf (301 posts) -

But, OP, using your method DotA 2 and Divekick wouldn't appear on the list... What would even be the point of GotY deliberations if the staff couldn't get the games they liked on there? Might as well cancel the whole thing. (Did Syndicate make the site's top 10 last year? This is essentially obstensibly what ocurred with the aforementioned games...)

At least Alex fought the good fight. He earned a lot of my respect during Podcast Day 5.

@animasta said:

I thought you were going to post Windjammers.

Now I'm super disappointed

I assumed the same. I was coming in to post "you should've posted this in the Windjammers subforum."

Oh well. :l

Edit: You know what, they should probably follow this formula next year. It would sure beat the back-room politics of this year's GotY deliberations.

#24 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5175 posts) -

Apart from the Dota 2 arguments just being straight up terrible; if Dota 2 came out this year so did Dark Souls and Dark Souls has a legit shot at number 1 without a significant anti-Dark Souls faction.

List is fine aside from that, would prefer Mario and Gunpoint over Divekick and Dota 2.

#25 Edited by StarvingGamer (7917 posts) -

@noelveiga: I feel like others have done this in past years. All day I was expecting a thread like this to pop up, but it didn't so I cranked this out while feeding my baby before bed.

I'm not super surprised about Dota making the site's top-10 because it was Brad's #1. That fight makes sense. I still haven't listened to the day 5 podcast, but it seems more crazy to me that presumably Jeff fought to get Rogue Legacy and Divekick on that list, but Antichamber which was his #2 is nowhere to be found.

#26 Edited by Trilogy (2637 posts) -

@sammo21 said:

The fact DOTA2 isn't on this list speaks volumes.

If by volumes you mean the fact that Brad is the only staff member who plays and cares about the game, then sure, I guess it speaks volumes. Not sure what else one could read into there.

#27 Edited by Sammo21 (3203 posts) -

@trilogy: That other people on the staff have tried to play and get into DOTA2 and it did nothing for them. Yet, it still makes it on the official game of the year list :p

#28 Posted by Demoskinos (14519 posts) -

TLOU is such a boring choice for GOTY. I think last years choicee was way more interesting even if I largely rolled my eyes at X-Com as well.

#29 Posted by JYoung (151 posts) -

SR4 got axed because they thought the support wasn't there, without realizing that most of them liked it plenty. I disliked that every time Vinny would try to simplify things and asked people what they really liked on the list, most people politicized and answered with what they thought "had the best chance/most support." Just be honest, guys!

#30 Posted by StarvingGamer (7917 posts) -

@sergio said:

I don't feel scoring 10 points for 1st and 1 for 10th really works well with a small number of ballots, so I wouldn't really consider this their "real" GOTY. In that system, a game that is 10th on all six ballots comes out lower compared to one game that came in 4th on one ballot and never appears on any other ballot. You'd really need to apply other weighting.

Nothing against Gone Home (currently my 10th best game of the year), even though it is only 1 point ahead of it on your list, but 4 out of 6 times it came below Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, and was never ranked above 3rd. Not really second place material.

Alright, so I adjusted the formula to value appearing on a list first, rank second, just to see what would happen. 5 points for showing up. Additional points for rank in .5 increments. That would solve your complaint that a game showing up 10th on all six ballots would come out lower than a game showing up at 4th on a single ballot. Results are:

1. The Last of Us (47.5)

2. Gone Home (41.5)

3. Tie - BioShock Infinite (41) ; The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (41)

5. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (34)

6. Saints Row IV (30)

7. The Stanley Parable (24.5)

8. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (23)

9. Papers, Please (22.75)

10. Super Mario 3D World (18.5)

Not exactly moving the earth here.

#31 Posted by Trilogy (2637 posts) -

@sammo21 said:

@trilogy: That other people on the staff have tried to play and get into DOTA2 and it did nothing for them. Yet, it still makes it on the official game of the year list :p

I suppose I was a little surprised to see it make the site top 10. Actually, I was more surprised to see it get support from Jeff. I think they just wanted everyone's number one to make it. The really weird part is that they almost ended up with every staff member having a different Goty. Not sure what that says about the year, but I'm sure it makes making a top 10 awkward when you've got a lot of very disparate opinions. Definitely different than previous years where you had a clear top two fighting it out.

#32 Posted by pyromagnestir (4195 posts) -

For those who would question the presence of Dota 2 on the final top ten I'd like to point out on the aggregate list Dota 2 was number 11.

#33 Posted by Sammo21 (3203 posts) -

@trilogy: I suppose so. I agree that Jeff did it for Brad but holy crap did it get vitriolic in there. I never would have imagined Papers Please, Rogue Legacy, or Gunpoint ever getting serious nods on the podcast. Interesting to see how next year turns out.

#34 Posted by wjb (1621 posts) -

All day I was expecting a thread like this to pop up, but it didn't so I cranked this out while feeding my baby before bed.

Well, myself and someone else did it in the comments section of the Day 5 page yesterday afternoon, so you were kind of right. It was always something I did by myself every year because I was always curious how similar the final top ten was to the actual total. Still don't know how Divekick got in considering it wasn't even in Jeff's top five and no one else's; payola via Lang, maybe?

I didn't think about making a thread because I didn't think anyone would care, but I was wrong. :)

#35 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5175 posts) -

@demoskinos: Their winners have been boring every year, only exception would be Saint's Row 3 but that didn't win so it's irrelevant. Bioshock Infinite is an equally boring choice, as is GTA V. Zelda and Mario are slightly less boring but still boring choices. I guess Gone Home or Brothers are your shots at it not being boring (or Rogue Legacy since that actually sort of deserves top 3 consideration).

#36 Posted by Trilogy (2637 posts) -

@sammo21 said:

Interesting to see how next year turns out.

Same here. It sounds like Jeff is wanting to do a game of the generation early next year. I really hope they follow through with that. Imagine the contention!

#37 Posted by Superkenon (1353 posts) -

Personal lists and the overall top ten are supposed to be fundamentally different things, so I don't think it's of much use for the latter to be an averaged-out version of the former. If that's all it was, I'd say it doesn't even need to exist.

Their debating, and zany politicking ensures that it's a more proper representation of all their tastes, in one way or another. Dota 2 for instance, even though I don't give a crap about it, should absolutely be on that list because it's one of the staff's #1. Saints Row IV, even though I personally enjoy it, didn't need to be on the list because as a group they were rather collectively lukewarm about it, and striking it from the overall list reflected that well.

(I'm kinda speaking in general to some of the grumbling here. I'm glad @starvinggamer did the crunching and posted this, because it's still interesting to compare.)

#38 Posted by Sammo21 (3203 posts) -

@trilogy: Yeah, I don't see that ending in anything but a fight. I think I would say Mass Effect 2 or Burnout Paradise.

#39 Posted by RedRoach (1174 posts) -

@valeo said:

@historyinrust said:
@starvinggamer said:

@liquidprince said:

This is why naming 'GotY's' is flawed. People get bored when the best game is named best game; but if they choose something a bit different everyone is up in arms because they didn't choose the obviously best game. Catch 22.

It's just that there was no contention this year. The 2 hour debate between Uncharted 2 and Arkham Asylum or Skyrim and SR3 were fantastic. People kept going back and fourth and you didn't know the outcome.

#40 Edited by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@noelveiga: I feel like others have done this in past years. All day I was expecting a thread like this to pop up, but it didn't so I cranked this out while feeding my baby before bed.

I'm not super surprised about Dota making the site's top-10 because it was Brad's #1. That fight makes sense. I still haven't listened to the day 5 podcast, but it seems more crazy to me that presumably Jeff fought to get Rogue Legacy and Divekick on that list, but Antichamber which was his #2 is nowhere to be found.

No one else was with him on Antichamber though. Rogue Legacy and Divekick both had support (RL from Brad, Divekick from Vinny and Brad and Alex I think)

#41 Posted by KoolAid (821 posts) -

I think this "real" list is super fascinating, but I also think at the same time the personal top 10s are supposed to be staff favs and the main top ten is supposed to be more... objective? I don't personally care for playing DOTA 2, but I think both it's impact is real and it is super well made. I totally think it has to be on the list.

I mean, I don't like playing FPS's either... but that doesn't mean I think all FPS are bad. I just rather play something else.

#42 Posted by hippocrit (230 posts) -

@demoskinos: good games should be picked for GOTY. Shocking choices might stop your "eye roll" but that doesn't make them good.

#43 Posted by Sergio (2037 posts) -

@sergio said:

Alright, so I adjusted the formula to value appearing on a list first, rank second, just to see what would happen. 5 points for showing up. Additional points for rank in .5 increments. That would solve your complaint that a game showing up 10th on all six ballots would come out lower than a game showing up at 4th on a single ballot. Results are:

1. The Last of Us (47.5)

2. Gone Home (41.5)

3. Tie - BioShock Infinite (41) ; The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (41)

5. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (34)

6. Saints Row IV (30)

7. The Stanley Parable (24.5)

8. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (23)

9. Papers, Please (22.75)

10. Super Mario 3D World (18.5)

Not exactly moving the earth here.

Eh, I still don't feel the weighting is correct. I feel that if a game ranks higher than another 4 out of 6 times, it would still rank higher than it in a combined list. I haven't gotten to their GOTY deliberations yet to hear how they politicked the rankings, but it looks like the end result got it partially right based on their personal choices with Zelda coming above Gone Home, but Gone Home should have been above BioShock Infinite like your list has it.

#44 Edited by ThatFrood (3373 posts) -

Yeah Science!

Edit: and now what if you took all of the guest lists? :)

#45 Edited by Demoskinos (14519 posts) -

@hippocrit: Well in that case they need to go back and pick a good game.

#46 Posted by SomberOwl (629 posts) -

I must say I was a little underwhelmed about The Last of Us the first time I played it. But I just finished re playing it last night since the time it launched and must say really came around on the second play through. I effing love this game now!

#47 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

The lack of GTAV is just outrageous.

#48 Posted by ripelivejam (3460 posts) -

jeff kind of strong armed dive kick on there, and while it's nice (and hilarious) that it gets recognition i kinda wish someone else spoke up against it being that high.

SM3DW definitely deserved its spot.

#49 Posted by RonGalaxy (2839 posts) -

This doesn't take into account how much they individually liked those games though. I'd reckon Brad loves his number 1 more than anyone else loved theirs, and that Jeff wasn't very passionate about the games on his list (he said that his should be a '15-5' list, not a top 10), so they should be scored differently.

I think their list was fine, except for divekick. It's inclusion made no sense. Especially so since it beat papers, please. That makes no sense when looking at all of their top 10 lists.

#50 Posted by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

Still not sure how the site's top 10 list is any less dictated by personal preference than the "Personal" lists. Saints Row not being on there after all the love and praise this year seems wrong.