• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Wraxend (572 posts) -

@Castermhief117 said:

I think everyone should take a step back and look at the argument and not attack the OP.

If I was new to Giantbomb and I dug into the quick looks, endurance runs, and podcasts - I'd slowly start getting to know the guys. Then when a review from one of the editorial crew comes out, I'd understand where they came from. As much as I love Alex, I have to agree that it would be hard for anyone new to understand his style. Sure Alex "goes all the way back", but why should a new user dig into the backlog of old and retired games and videos just to find out more about a writer?

I personally have no problems with Alex and love his reviews, but I think that the OP's arguments, although not well structured and phrased, still logically stand.

PS: To users attacking the OP just because his post count is low, not everyone uses the forums. There are tons of dedicated GB fans that have little to no posts.

You said everything I was gonna say.

#52 Posted by hussatron (189 posts) -

Alex is a great reviewer and I think he adds a lot to the site. That being said, Alex talked on Twitter about maybe doing some Encyclopedia Bombastica videos from his home. I wish he'd actually go through with it. Not only do I really like that feature but I'd like to watch Alex play and talk about some old games.

#53 Edited by C0V3RT (1381 posts) -

Alex kind of grew on me. I was never vocal about it, but it drove me absolutely crazy that I could tell which articles Alex wrote before even clicking on the story based on the headline's level of cynicism and/or snark.

He's toned it back, and the dudes a talented writer. You may not agree with me and may not like him, it's your right to do so. But implying someone should lose their job isn't cool at all.

#54 Posted by big_jon (5809 posts) -

@JoshyLee said:

Don't try to criticize anything on this site. I love the site but the community is nothing but fanboys.

Did you just call yourself a fan boy?

#55 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

@Extreme_Popcorn said:

This thread just reinforces the need for a mandatory written test upon joining GiantBomb

I didn't want to go there, but seriously! I'd really like to introduce the OP to the shift key and a little guy called the apostrophe.

#56 Posted by NegativeCero (3052 posts) -

Regardless of how you feel about him, he contributes a lot to the site, and that's all I think you can really ask.

#57 Posted by Zacagawea (1624 posts) -

Absolutely see where you're coming from OP

#58 Posted by fuzzybunny566 (454 posts) -

I'm just wondering why Alex reviewed The Walking Dead instead of Patrick, Ryan or Vinny. I mean, it probably was mostly due to the other guys having their plates full of other reviews, or maybe because we heard so much about the game from them, they wanted a new perspective on it for their review. I have no problem with Alex myself, I think he's funny and I've been a fan of his since Gamespot, but I was honestly shocked when I clicked the review link and saw his picture in the header.

#60 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1275 posts) -

I wish that he was on the podcast and some quick looks. But it is not a huge deal since he is an entertaining writer.

#61 Posted by MrSensible (17 posts) -

Alex Navarro is (literally) the odd-man-out on the staff and I'm certainly not his biggest fan, but bagging on him because he's not in the video features seems lame. There are much better reasons to bag on Alex, like his endless cynicism and tiresome hyperbole that comes through in pretty much everything he's ever written on Giant Bomb (and probably GameSpot, if I cared to dig that far back).

However, this muckraking does raise at least one interesting question: why is he the only staff member in NYC? Does his location help Giant Bomb's coverage in a significant way?

#62 Posted by laserbolts (5385 posts) -

Here's a prime example of the sad fanboy crowd that infest these forums. The dude has a legit point. Anyone that wasn't around since the beginning would probably feel the same way about Alex. Personally I don't care about any reviews here no matter who writes them so Alex is pretty much non existent for me on this site. I understand he lives on the other side of the country but it wouldn't hurt for giantbomb to consider getting him involved in the podcast or creating a feature involving him. It would be nice for new users to get to know what he's all about. To the OP, you're a new poster and I would have warned you if I could. Don't say anything negative about the staff because this is what will happen.

#63 Posted by Doctorchimp (4058 posts) -

@OkTank said:

Basically, with giantbomb being build up as it is it makes no sense to have alex doing official reviews for this site. Giantbomb has always been about promoting ( not a bad word here ) the personality of its writers and staff and making the users feel like they know they know them. When i read a jeff review i feel like i know where hes coming from. I most likely am not gonna agree with him but the beauty of it all is that i kinda know that before i even click the 'review' button. Thats giantbombs thing and its great. After having watched way to many quicklooks and listened to giantbombcast more than i probably should i know everyones personlaity and opinions.This whole concept of promoting the personalities of the staff and writers completely contradicts the use of freelance writers ( which is basically what alex has become ) since the we have no investement in this guy. Not only dont i know him enough to know if im the same type of gamer that he is and if i can trust his opinions enough to purchase a game that he endorses, I SIMPLY DONT CARE WHAT HE THINKS. I dont just look at a review at giantbomb as a comsumer purchase guide, or to find out whether something is worth my money. Sure thats half of the reason but the other half is that i wanna find out what Vinny / Jeff / Ryan / Brad thinks of the game. Dont care what Alex thinks. Every time i open a review and its got a smug looking cartoon drawing of a guy wearing a military vest and an smg machine gun i know i'm not gonna read it through. So : HIRE ALEX NAVARRO FULLTIME OR DUMP HIM! This shit does not gel at all with how u build your site up

Wow, so you're generally unfamiliar with the staff or the history of the website. But here you are going to start calling the shots as to what really is Giantbomb...

Go ahead and the the Alex's top 10 from last year man...

#64 Posted by Starks94 (27 posts) -

I used to hate his constant Rock Band Propaganda but I guess that was his job. I actually liked reading his screened recaps though. Haven't really visited that site since he's been gone

#65 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1764 posts) -

Guys, he has some fair points. He's not bashing Alex or anything. Take it easy.

#66 Posted by Doctorchimp (4058 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

Here's a prime example of the sad fanboy crowd that infest these forums. The dude has a legit point. Anyone that wasn't around since the beginning would probably feel the same way about Alex. Personally I don't care about any reviews here no matter who writes them so Alex is pretty much non existent for me on this site. I understand he lives on the other side of the country but it wouldn't hurt for giantbomb to consider getting him involved in the podcast or creating a feature involving him. It would be nice for new users to get to know what he's all about. To the OP, you're a new poster and I would have warned you if I could. Don't say anything negative about the staff because this is what will happen.

So why doesn't he chill out and just read the reviews and try to get to know Alex rather than make a forum topic?

He can also check out his twitter. I mean sure it's a valid point, but if he's bagging on Alex because he doesn't know him, that's because he's a new user. He should relax and he'll get Alex down eventually. Anyone who casually visits the site and reads a Jeff review or watches a Jeff quick look is literally in the same boat this guy is with Alex. He should just relax and it'll happen.

#67 Posted by ZombiePie (5790 posts) -

The staff like the users of this community should be dealt with respect and civility. Alex is and will continue to be a member of the Giant Bomb staff and even if you harbor ill-feelings of him the forums are not the place to discuss such sentiments. Because the comments on this thread are getting out of hand this topic is being locked.