PureBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By PureBacon

@MooseyMcMan said:

Would someone filled with apathy really buy a hummingbird feeder mask and talk about it on the internet? Or any of the other insane things they talk about in just about every video/podcast they produce?

We all know Ryan is the exception to Apathy,

ShenaniganZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By ShenaniganZ

why dont they do a quicklook on portal 2s level editor....or have a competition within the community to see who can make the best.....idk something. i have always watch the quicklooks but lately i havent even heard of half the stuff. you should quicklook a quicklook....commentary style...actually thats pretty dumb....outside the box guys!

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By The_Nubster

@ShenaniganZ: They've done Portal 2's level editor.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By flasaltine

@Brodehouse: You seem to have forgotten the 2 flight clubs, 3 podcasts, the snes party, behind the scenes E3, and Drew returns from North Korea.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#105  Edited By Barrock

I thought the content had picked up lately. No?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Flacracker said:

@Brodehouse: You seem to have forgotten the 2 flight clubs, 3 podcasts, the snes party, behind the scenes E3, and Drew returns from North Korea.

Flight Club are Quick Looks that have been turned into subscriber content. The SNES party was regular programming (a TNT just like tthe '3DO party') and stuff like Drew Returns From North Korea is the same as something like Warlords Cash Game and the videos of Vinny fixing his arcade cabinet (which I left out for not being notable). Behind the Scenes E3 was left out the same way Behind The Scenes GOTY was left out. By 'podcasts' do you mean the 'radio show' because they had those previously too, and I left them out because they're largely irrelevant. I don't consider Dave and Alexis talking about a site redesign to be compelling content worth 5 dollars a month. It's baffling that it's behind a paywall.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#107  Edited By MetalGearSunny

@PureBacon said:

@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:

It's summer. Nothing's really happening. And I disagree.

"THREE!"

Personality, hard work, dedication + a lack of releases = a gold mine of content to refresh ones website from the norm of mediocre releases and trailers. Fly with new ideas and show the users some comedy gold, some events, and some good times.

I feel like they're still trying to settle back into the CBSi offices because they can go balls out again.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#108  Edited By csl316

@FluxWaveZ

It's funny seeing each I Love Mondays and noting how they don't quite know what do do each week.

Indeed, considering I Love Mondays used to be recorded the week before (I think). Scheduling ain't what it used to be.

The mantra for like 4 months has been "things are so crazy lately." But then I remember the time Brad said there's nothing going on, immediately followed with I'm too busy. I'm confused. Maybe having less financial worries has killed the sense of urgency.

@GreggD said:

@PureBacon said:

@BaconGames said:

What? Maybe it's how I watch content on the site but between the Flight Club stuff, random livestream shenanigans (i.e. SNES), TNT, Bombcast about fucking HAM radio and shit, and Dwarf Fortress? They're making pretty good with what they got. OPEN THE CANOPY! Alright now flip it and eject.

I may be overly sensitive, but the HAM radio podcast was my least favorite podcast...of all time...

Apathy, hate on games, and HAM radio

HAM radio cast was the best thing to happen to the Bombcast in a long time. They're best when they're off-topic.

Not when it's for 40 straight minutes to open a video game podcast. Unless you mean the one where everything went to shit, that was amazing all around.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#109  Edited By breadfan
@Phatmac said:

The fuck is wrong with you people? Why should they be excited about anything this week?? No games are coming out this week so there isn't much to be excited about. I also love that people know what they do on a daily basis as if they don't have meetings or other things to accomplish other than providing content on the site. I'm sorry you feel so disappointed with the GB crew, but I don't agree with this train of thought for a while. Lighten up guys, this has been a weak month for games and it should pick up soon.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#110  Edited By Raven10

They have been doing quite a bit of stuff like the SNES stuff and Dwarf Fortress and Flight Club. I don't know about any of you but I'm not especially excited about anything coming out in the next couple of months. And even the Fall looks a bit dead to me this year. How many Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Assassin's Creed, and Halo games can a man play before becoming apathetic to each new release. It's so expected at this point that there is no reason to get excited anymore. There are some genuinely interesting looking games coming out next year so I expect things will pick up then.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By bwheeeler

@csl316 said:

@FluxWaveZ

It's funny seeing each I Love Mondays and noting how they don't quite know what do do each week.

Indeed, considering I Love Mondays used to be recorded the week before (I think). Scheduling ain't what it used to be. The mantra for like 4 months has been "things are so crazy lately." But then I remember the time Brad said there's nothing going on, immediately followed with I'm too busy. I'm confused. Maybe having less financial worries has killed the sense of urgency.

There's nothing going on as in there aren't any games coming out, he's really busy as in he has a job running a website called Giant Bomb.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#112  Edited By csl316

@bwheeeler said:

@csl316 said:

@FluxWaveZ

Indeed, considering I Love Mondays used to be recorded the week before (I think). Scheduling ain't what it used to be. The mantra for like 4 months has been "things are so crazy lately." But then I remember the time Brad said there's nothing going on, immediately followed with I'm too busy. I'm confused. Maybe having less financial worries has killed the sense of urgency.

There's nothing going on as in there aren't any games coming out, he's really busy as in he has a job running a website called Giant Bomb.

The jumbo sized SNES stream was one of the best things they've put up in a while and it wasn't a busy release week. It's not like the site is dead or anything, but that seems to be the type of content you'd hope would regularly be out during slow weeks.

Part of the job of running GB is content creation, and the TC isn't satisfied with it. Fair enough. Luckily I discovered that Game Informer has plenty of awesome stuff up these days in case I have some more time to kill.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#113  Edited By ajamafalous
@Brodehouse  said: 

@believer258 "Surely you can find something better to do than watch this garbage!"

Subscription... renewed? What a business model that is.

We're paying for our entertainment. Ever since the CBS purchase the content has been comparatively lacking. I understand that 'things are hectic' and that's been an acceptable excuse. But it's been over four months.

During the busiest time of the year last year, in four months there was 7 episodes of Jar Time, 5 Load Our Last Saves, 7 Random PC Games, 2 Running of the Lanterns, 3 episodes of Breaking Brad, a Happy Hour, a Welcome Back Tricaster Party, and a Holiday Nostalgiafest, in addition to regular programming (like a Skyrim Marathon and 25 episodes of an Endurance Run!). This pace actually keeps up into 2012... And stops dead at the sale. Last four months; 5 Jar Times, 2 Dave Fortresses, 1 Running of the Lanterns, 2 Breaking Brads. That's not the same. I have _absolutely no problem_ in paying for the kind of stuff I know they can do. But after the last few months I just wonder if they have the means or even the desire to keep that up? What does it matter now that CBS is running things?

(I count Skyrim Marathon, Thursday Night Throwdowns and Endurance Runs as a part of regular content, since non-subscribers could see them. Though it isn't hour-length of content I really want, it's just enthusiasm for the entire idea of Giant Bomb. It seems like they care more about neoGAF than this site.)

These are actual concerns by an actual customer.

@Brodehouse said:

@Flacracker said:

Flight Club are Quick Looks that have been turned into subscriber content. The SNES party was regular programming (a TNT just like tthe '3DO party') and stuff like Drew Returns From North Korea is the same as something like Warlords Cash Game and the videos of Vinny fixing his arcade cabinet (which I left out for not being notable). Behind the Scenes E3 was left out the same way Behind The Scenes GOTY was left out. By 'podcasts' do you mean the 'radio show' because they had those previously too, and I left them out because they're largely irrelevant. I don't consider Dave and Alexis talking about a site redesign to be compelling content worth 5 dollars a month. It's baffling that it's behind a paywall.

These two posts really sum it up. It has nothing to do with the fact that 'No games are coming out!' which everyone seems to always use an excuse any time someone makes a thread like this. That's not what's missing. It's the other stuff like Load Our Last Save/Random PC Game/Quick Look Throwback/hell, even an Endurance Run. That's the kind of stuff we want to see, especially when there's a 'gaming drought.' Even a random 10-20 minute office video is better than nothing.
Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#114  Edited By Slag

Isn't Jeff going through some major family stuff right now?

And didn't Patrick just lose his father?

Geez cut the guys a break. That stuff can really wear on you. They're only human.

Korosuzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Korosuzo

@Slag: You can only say that for so long though and I had thought Jeff's family stuff was getting better or "resolved". Patrick I completely understand but they made content without him for years...I don't think he's holding back anything from happening. Also, Patrick has continued to put out content in the form of his weekly Worth Reading columns despite all he has been through the past week along with a wedding on the horizon.

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Branwulf

They've recently transitioned to a new office, they have some personal issues to deal with and the general quantity of good games coming out at the moment is low so it's not really that surprising.

That said, more dwarf fortress is needed, if you enjoyed it you should read this: http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/ it's fucking epic.

Joey_Connell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Joey_Connell

I don't get the hate. It's not like there holding out on us there are currently no major new releases that intrest them. People that say things like just do this thing and that thing don't understand the work there doing,they don't just sit down in front of a camera and go. By this time next month the release calander will look much brighter for quantity at least if not quality. The crew does there best work with mediocre games so just wait. Also people saying thres not enough content, last thursday and friday alone brought us the best part of 4 hours subscriber content and an amazingly long quick look with dcs .

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#118  Edited By bemusedchunk

They're also in the process of overhauling the site.

thefaulconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By thefaulconer

You could just do what I do and let the site catch up in content. As in stop visiting the site for awhile so that when you come back BAM new content.

I come back every month or so to see if there's enough stuff to bother giving them five dollars over again. There usually is.

But I guess only looking at this site in passing if you're an active member of the forums is probably harder to do. Given that the site you want to update hosts the forums that you frequent.

I think the only time I had Giantbomb as my homepage was waaaaaay back during the Persona 4 endurance run. But that's because it was a new video guaranteed every day with a game I cared for.

As a complete aside I think guaranteed looks funny. Even though I'm assured that's the correct spelling. I hate that shit.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#120  Edited By Legend

It's sad, but I kinda agree.. I haven't finished watching a single video here in a while. And recently the only thing I do when I visit the site is just check out what duders are posting on the forums.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#121  Edited By geirr

I've come to miss the random shit that happened at Whiskey Media with all those other sites dropping by and "bombing" videos and whatnot. It was fascinating to see all these people fluttering about trying to do their thing and be entertaining at the same time. Now it's just 'them' again with random - and might I say boring drop-ins - from Gamespot. Seasons don't matter, the people do, it was never 'just about the games' for me here at Giant Bomb. It was about the people playing them.

Summed up, yes it's become a tad more boring but I'm hoping/waging that it's a transitional thing and that they'll be back on their feet at some point.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#122  Edited By Castiel

Isn't there a new type of this exact thread every single month?

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By ElixirBronze

@Phatmac said:

The fuck is wrong with you people? Why should they be excited about anything this week?? No games are coming out this week so there isn't much to be excited about. I also love that people know what they do on a daily basis as if they don't have meetings or other things to accomplish other than providing content on the site. I'm sorry you feel so disappointed with the GB crew, but I don't agree with this train of thought for a while. Lighten up guys, this has been a weak month for games and it should pick up soon.

I don't really see few new releases as an excuse to provide less content. Personally I enjoy their own stuff (flight club, breaking brad, endurance runs etc.) a lot more than quick looks and reviews. I don't come to Giant Bomb for top notch game coverage (don't get me wrong, they're still among the best ones out there, it's just not many of them).

And an office video of them talking bullshit for 10 mins is way better than nothing at all? I don't work with websites but does it really require them that much time to do those (I feel like they did way more of those back in the Sacramento office, but maybe that's just my bad memory)?

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#124  Edited By Dagbiker
@Metal_Gear_Sunny

@PureBacon said:

@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:

"THREE!"

Personality, hard work, dedication + a lack of releases = a gold mine of content to refresh ones website from the norm of mediocre releases and trailers. Fly with new ideas and show the users some comedy gold, some events, and some good times.

I feel like they're still trying to settle back into the CBSi offices because they can go balls out again.

How long is this going to be an excuse?
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#125  Edited By Humanity

@Dagbiker said:

@Metal_Gear_Sunny

@PureBacon said:

@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:

"THREE!"

They're still settling in, they don't have a 5th Tricaster yet - Giantbomb 2016

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Sooty

I think Patrick does too many quick looks and it's getting tiring that him and Alex are the only people putting written content up on the site. (for the most part)

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#127  Edited By Justin258

@Brodehouse said:

@believer258 "Surely you can find something better to do than watch this garbage!"

Subscription... renewed? What a business model that is.

We're paying for our entertainment. Ever since the CBS purchase the content has been comparatively lacking. I understand that 'things are hectic' and that's been an acceptable excuse. But it's been over four months.

During the busiest time of the year last year, in four months there was 7 episodes of Jar Time, 5 Load Our Last Saves, 7 Random PC Games, 2 Running of the Lanterns, 3 episodes of Breaking Brad, a Happy Hour, a Welcome Back Tricaster Party, and a Holiday Nostalgiafest, in addition to regular programming (like a Skyrim Marathon and 25 episodes of an Endurance Run!). This pace actually keeps up into 2012... And stops dead at the sale. Last four months; 5 Jar Times, 2 Dave Fortresses, 1 Running of the Lanterns, 2 Breaking Brads. That's not the same. I have _absolutely no problem_ in paying for the kind of stuff I know they can do. But after the last few months I just wonder if they have the means or even the desire to keep that up? What does it matter now that CBS is running things?

(I count Skyrim Marathon, Thursday Night Throwdowns and Endurance Runs as a part of regular content, since non-subscribers could see them. Though it isn't hour-length of content I really want, it's just enthusiasm for the entire idea of Giant Bomb. It seems like they care more about neoGAF than this site.)

These are actual concerns by an actual customer.

Fair enough. I didn't mean it was garbage, I just meant that there are other things someone could do.

In the meantime, I don't believe the content is lacking for no good reason. They might still be moving and getting organized, or they might not have some of the equipment they once had, etc.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#128  Edited By Animasta

I swear people have some serious rose colored glasses going on about how much content there actually was a year ago

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By cheesebob

Fuck Geoff Gertsman, stealing all our content!

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Brendan said:

Every summer the same threads get made. Its the slow season, not as many good games are coming out, see you around this time in 2013.

This is the weird thing to me. I play just as many, if not more games than them and there are still PLENTY of games to keep me more than busy all summer long.

That said, who the fuck uses a homepage in 2012?

pandorasbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By pandorasbox

The content i want, i am not getting. The content i am getting, i don't want.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By RedRoach

@Brendan said:

Every summer the same threads get made. Its the slow season, not as many good games are coming out, see you around this time in 2013.

There's so many things they could be doing. These slow months should be when they come up with new ideas, something we haven't seen in a long time. They don't need new games to create content. Get the guys together and play Day Z. Take a look back at the beginning of this generation. Have everyone pick their favorite game from a console, and Ql it with the rest of the guys. No new games just doesn't seem like a good excuse. Giantbomb is focused around the personalities, not cutting edge content.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By RedRoach

@Village_Guy: You mean Jeff's house? All of the guys have tons of old games, maybe when Jeff finishes organizing his stuff he could bring stuff in more often. Not to mention they work at the GS offices now, which does have a collection of games.

faustyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By faustyn

i agree with OP and some other guys in this thread. we're are barely getting any new content nowadays and when we do get something, it's kinda meh. don't get me wrong, i still like giant bomb a lot. i'm just sad that such a great website is so boring lately (i'm not counting the bombcast 'cause it's still awesome imo).

also, some of the giant bomb defense force replies are AMAZING. still settling in the 'new' office, after being there for 4 months is probably my favourite :D

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By august

I haven't noticed there being less content.

hussatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By hussatron

I watched Jeff play The Last Ninja for C64 for over an hour on his own live stream. You don't need amazing new releases to produce that sort of content and I would gladly watch it here rather than his twitch.tv stream.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By august

@hussatron said:

I watched Jeff play The Last Ninja for C64 for over an hour on his own live stream. You don't need amazing new releases to produce that sort of content and I would gladly watch it here rather than his twitch.tv stream.

I think that was in an emulator and I don't think they can get away with playing roms on the official site.

hussatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By hussatron

@august said:

@hussatron said:

I think that was in an emulator and I don't think they can get away with playing roms on the official site.

That was indeed an emulator and I'm sure they wouldn't want to use them to produce actual content. But Jeff has a large library of old games and systems, which they could use instead (if they can get the capture stuff working with it). I'm sure Jeff has a copy of the game and a C64 somewhere, although if they do go the route of playing old games, there are many others I'd like to see before more of The Last Ninja.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#139  Edited By forkboy

@faustyn said:

i agree with OP and some other guys in this thread. we're are barely getting any new content nowadays and when we do get something, it's kinda meh. don't get me wrong, i still like giant bomb a lot. i'm just sad that such a great website is so boring lately (i'm not counting the bombcast 'cause it's still awesome imo).

also, some of the giant bomb defense force replies are AMAZING. still settling in the 'new' office, after being there for 4 months is probably my favourite :D

Is it as amazing as claiming there's barely any new content? Coz I mean...that's hysterical, to be blunt. There is at least one new video up each day Monday through Friday, TNT is Thursday obviously,

Also guys, drop the whole apathy talking point please. Did they sound bored & apathetic on the SNES day? Or even last weeks THPS HD related TNT? Nah son. They sound perfectly into it when there's something to be excited about: ie Brad around the time that Trials Evo came out was hardly apathetic, was he? So just stop it, it sounds silly. Detracts from any valid point you may actually have.

The brutal fact is that this year is not a great year for video gaming, we all know why. The end of this generation is overdue, we're waiting for something new to kick in. Until then it's basically just more sequels. Now I'm totally down with you all, I'd love to see more video content, & am a bit disappointed with the quantity of videos output post E3. It's the look at games from yesteryear, the quirky, obscure Steam titles & stuff like that got me to come back to this site time after time I'd like to see more random PC game, more QL Throwback, & all that sort of thing, I'm just not convinced that a new thread every 3 or 4 days about how Giant Bomb sucks now is necessarily the right way to go about letting the guys know that maybe we feel a bit...disappointed

Oh, & the guy who said that Flight Club is "basically just a Quick Look" & so doesn't include it in the list of subscriber content is wrong, it's clearly a son of Random PC Game, or at least a cousin. So you're wrong on that front at least

thornie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By thornie

Where's Ryan been? Aside from the bombcast, he hasn't reviewed a game, written an article, or appeared in many quick looks lately. He used to everywhere. I wonder if he is transitioning to a more behind the scenes role? Wait... what exactly goes on behind the scenes? I miss the Happy Hour.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: Agreed, but at the same time, it's not like we've had the last few months comped or anything like that. I renewed my sub while this was still Whiskey Media, and the change in service provided has been noticeable. At a certain point (I'd say 4 months, 20 dollars of someone's money) you have to get your shit in order. If it's CBSi that's preventing them from being as good as they were just last year, then all the doomsayers will have been proven right.

@Animasta: No, I actually went back and checked earlier in this thread. The difference is apparent.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Animasta

@Brodehouse: I remember this same exact type of topic at least 3 times last year

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Animasta said:

@Brodehouse: I remember this same exact type of topic at least 3 times last year

The logic of viewing things with your eyes? (Sorry, misread XD) Pull up the tab, you're a subscriber. There was undeniably more content (and arguably, of a higher quality/entertainment value) in the months before the Whiskey Media dissolution than there has been since.

Add to that, they were doing an Endurance Run at the same time, daily content for the site. During the busiest release window. Your subscriber dollar had more value in December than it has in July.

I'm sure there's a justification, but "lack of games to play" or "just settling in" isn't going to cut it. The justification has to either be "don't want to do it" or "can't do it". And if it's the latter I want to know why.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#144  Edited By Superkenon

Less QQ, more frou-frou.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#145  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Ever since the acquisition by CBS all I've seen is BS ahuehuehuehue ok I'll be in the bathroom with my mouth agape near that waist high hole.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#146  Edited By Drebin_893

@Sooty said:

I think Patrick does too many quick looks and it's getting tiring that him and Alex are the only people putting written content up on the site. (for the most part)

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Pezen

Whatever I'm given currently seems good enough for the little it cost me to pay. Besides, I have a life to lead, I can barely keep up as it is.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Animasta

@Brodehouse: fuck I got logged out after I wrote my reply. Well whatever, I don't really see a whole lot of problems, there were an adequate number of QL's last week, and this week is probably going to be the only grim time when it comes to new releases and I think you're just reading into a shitty summer (in terms of gaming) too much.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By MetalGearSunny

@Dagbiker said:

A-Are...are you breaking up with me? :(

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By mtcantor

The site is great, the guys are happy, and I am confident more content will continue to come out at a good pace. Go to any other gaming site over the last month or so, and the content is just awful. There's nothing to talk about.