• 113 results
#1 Edited by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -
http://soundcloud.com/ventilaator-1/bombcast

Jeff: When a big company buys a little company...sometimes shit don't pan out.
Brad: I'm trying to think of any case when that's not actually true...Blizzard?
Jeff: Heh, not yet.

I'm optimistic about all this but..damn!

Sorry if this originated here, I found it on GAF.
#2 Posted by Mordi (553 posts) -

"I'm sure there are a lot of reasons to why it makes great sense to those involved... But sometimes shit don't pan out". 

How wonderfully hypocritical! :P

#3 Posted by Marokai (2805 posts) -

"It's great until it's not."

#4 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Which Jeff do I trust?

#5 Posted by Chris86 (65 posts) -

Jeff: "Trail of scorched earth and broken dreams"

hhhmmm.

#6 Posted by adoggz (2040 posts) -

Past Jeff would totally call out present Jeff on this whole thing.

#7 Posted by SniperXan (223 posts) -

So, are you gonna leave or just continue to come here and bitch? Honestly I think it would be awesome if you went somewhere else to whine and bitch about things that are beyond your knowlage and control...but I guess this is the internet.

#8 Posted by ohnobruno (85 posts) -

"If you give me six lines written by the most honest of men, I will find something in them to hang him." - Cardinal Richelieu

#9 Edited by Master_Funk (728 posts) -

hmmm, hearing jeff say the exact opposite thing yesterday makes me kinda worried . But I'm sure Jeff is aware of what he said and will try everything to keep it from happening..... until shit don't pan out.

Which I truly hope doesn't happen.

#10 Posted by Brodehouse (9576 posts) -

I knew something was weird as soon as Jeff said "CBS family of websites!" with a positive tone. Everything I've come to know about that guy in the last three and a half years says he hates the phrase 'family of websites'. It's like he was replaced by his corporate doppelgänger Geoff Gertzman.

#11 Posted by Hunkulese (2641 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

I knew something was weird as soon as Jeff said "CBS family of websites!" with a positive tone. Everything I've come to know about that guy in the last three and a half years says he hates the phrase 'family of websites'. It's like he was replaced by his corporate doppelgänger Geoff Gertzman.

That doesn't make any sense. Are you aware that Giantbomb was already part of a family of websites before being sold to CBS?

#12 Posted by Panpipe (472 posts) -

Everything must come to an end.

I love Giant Bomb a lot. I've watched almost every QL, but it couldn't just keep going forever, there are people's lives and people's money at stake here.

Yes, this move will probably change Giant Bomb, but compared to stagnating due to lack of funds, or closing down, this is their best option. That's the feeling I get from everything Jeff said yesterday.

#13 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4928 posts) -

"Before I die, I'm gonna fuck me a fish." - Jeff

#14 Posted by kerse (2100 posts) -

@Hunkulese said:

@Brodehouse said:

That doesn't make any sense. Are you aware that Giantbomb was already part of a family of websites before being sold to CBS?

Yeah thats kinda weird, pretty sure Whiskey Media was a family of websites no?

#15 Posted by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -
@SniperXan said:

So, are you gonna leave or just continue to come here and bitch? Honestly I think it would be awesome if you went somewhere else to whine and bitch about things that are beyond your knowlage and control...but I guess this is the internet.

How about you stop bitching about people bitching? and how am I bitching anyway? If you read my post I said I'm optimistic about the whole thing but that audio clip is kind of relevant.
#16 Posted by Drebin_893 (2899 posts) -

@Hunkulese said:

@Brodehouse said:

I think he's talking about the way he happily sprouted that PR phrase.

#17 Posted by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:
I have total faith in Jeff. He's the guy who was fired for never selling out, he wouldn't sell out now. I just don't have faith in CBS.
#18 Posted by rmanthorp (3873 posts) -
HAVE FAITH THE PLAN IS JUST
#19 Posted by Drebin_893 (2899 posts) -

@rmanthorp: This has made me laugh every single time.

#20 Posted by mustachioeugene (499 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen: "And that's probably my final thought."

Truer words have never been spoken.

#21 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1724 posts) -

"Anime is for jerks." - Jeff 

#22 Posted by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -
@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:
And look how right he was?
#23 Posted by Brodehouse (9576 posts) -
@Drebin_893

@Hunkulese said:

@Brodehouse said:

I think he's talking about the way he happily sprouted that PR phrase.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. It doesn't seem like something Jeff says unless he's mocking public relations corporate language. He knows himself better than I do, but something about it just rang false.

Who knows, maybe they're just doing the thing they mentioned on that podcast. Work out those contracts, leave and do the same thing over again. It's not like the audience is attracted to the name more than the people.
#24 Edited by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

That's funny. Kudos to the guy that uploaded that segment!

#25 Posted by Vinny_Says (5685 posts) -

Jeff has earned my trust and I know he's all about journalistic integrity, which I respect. I just hope he doesn't loose his job again.

#26 Posted by Milkman (16515 posts) -

Give a rest, guys.

#27 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Past Jeff should have a fight with Present Jeff.

And then future Jeff should jump in with a lightsaber.

#28 Posted by Donkeycow (556 posts) -

They have some integrity still, i'm sure they'll do all they can in their power to keep shit straight. That PR phrasing is not good to hear spew from his lips, but then again they did just get bought by a new company and they need to do all they can to make the transition move smoothly. And if everything does go horribly wrong i'm sure at least one of the team will have the guts to break away and start something else new and magical.

#29 Posted by Impossibilium (684 posts) -

Here's how to break this down simply.

Do you like this Web site more than the people who run it?

If the answer is "no" then all this doesn't matter at all. Even if GB eventually folds into GS it won't make any difference to how the guys act or feel. The crew were doing big dumb stuff long before GB and it won't matter where they are they'll still be doing big dumb stuff. They did at GS under the old nickel and dime regime and by all accounts the situation is much better there now.

#30 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2990 posts) -

I kind of wish jeff would listen to this and give us his thoughts

#31 Posted by RE_Player1 (7549 posts) -

lol as soon as this shit went down I remember them talking about that. Kind of a shame it's so easy to see what will happen to them. I give it a full year before we start seeing serious changes that impact the quality and staff of the site.

#32 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

Past Jeff should have a fight with Present Jeff.

And then future Jeff should jump in with a lightsaber.

the only way to tell them apart is by how much hair they have.

#33 Posted by SamFo (1514 posts) -

They are making more money, they'll be doing the same thing but better. Get over it you butt hurt whingers. Be happy for them.

Fark!

#34 Posted by wewantsthering (1550 posts) -

Haha. That is pretty interesting to listen to that now...

#35 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -

@SamFo said:

They are making more money, they'll be doing the same thing but better. Get over it you butt hurt whingers. Be happy for them.

Fark!

This. If they're making more money doing what they already do, good. They fucking deserve it. Can't believe all the haters up in here. If you were in their positions, you'd be doing the same thing. Fuck bitches get money.

#36 Posted by JoeyRavn (4948 posts) -

@Metal_Mills said:

And look how right he was?

Didn't you know? Jeff is leaving Giant Bomb for Anime Vice. Nothing is sacred for that Gerstmann.

#37 Posted by SamFo (1514 posts) -
#38 Posted by Cirdain (2996 posts) -
@AlexanderSheen

"Before I die, I'm gonna fuck me a fish." - Jeff

What??
#39 Posted by Cloneslayer (1623 posts) -

Someone needs to update the power video with some hotdog action

#40 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -
@TentPole said:

Which Jeff do I trust?

If you have a big enough man crush you can trust both!
#41 Posted by Ksaw (341 posts) -

"HOOK MY MOUTH UP UP TO THAT DOG'S ASS!"- Jeff Gerstmann, NOT in reference to Giant Bomb being bought by CBSI.

#42 Edited by AlexanderSheen (4928 posts) -

@Cirdain: Just watch this Quick Look.

Edit: Ok, the video is not working. Click on the link instead.

#43 Posted by Skytylz (4029 posts) -

that's almost sad to listen to now and some reason I'm more inclined to listen to old Jeff then new PR spouting "member of the CBS family of websites" Jeff.

#44 Posted by Ksaw (341 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen: Any particular point in this video we should skip to?

#45 Posted by Brother_PipPop (252 posts) -
#46 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4928 posts) -

@Ksaw: 14:08

#47 Posted by Ksaw (341 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen: Haha, OK thanks. I thought it was going to be some ironic quote from guys relating to the CBSi thing. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that it wasn't.

#48 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4928 posts) -

@Ksaw: Sure, you're welcome Duder.

#49 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

That's pretty funny.

I bet it's also not too hard to track down quotes along the lines of "We hate ads." "This site will always be about the community, not corporations." "We'll never sell out."

And funnily enough I was even listening to an old Bombcast recently where Jeff goes on a full rant about the idea of 'sponsored achievements', despite the fact we had a whole quest set on here sponsored by Best Buy. Let's face it, they have totally abandoned whatever morals they had at the start of GB. Still wish them all the best though.

#50 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Nobody has ever made a statement in the past that conflicts with what's happening in the present. That's literally never happened before!