#1 Posted by sub_o (887 posts) -

Moderators, lock this thread if it's inappropriate or similar thread already exists.

Basically just try to predict the top ten list of the Bomb crews'. Of course this is just a mere speculation, and most of our prediction will be way off, so please keep the discussion civil and fun for everyone.

If you can't remember which games were released in this year, here's a list of games released in 2012: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_in_video_gaming

And here's my randomly compiled lists based on their reaction in Quick Looks, Reviews and Bombcasts:

Jeff:

1. Syndicate: "Jeff you like Syndicate" - Ryan. "I do ... a lot of heavy puzzles involving men with guns and you have to solve these problems with your guns, or theirs" - Big Jeffrey
  2. Call of Duty Black Ops 2: "[Syndicate] might be my favorite first person shooter of the year. Black Ops 2 is out this week ... it's pretty good" - Big 'Fuck Ryan Davis' Jeffrey
  3. Journey: "We built the broken bridge ... It's super fun, looks great... And I land, oh I beat the dude here, turn around, nothing. Where did my dude go ... Where's my guy ? I lost my buddy ... I sat there for around 10 mins and waiting for that dude to show up ='( " - Big Jeffrey
  4. Fez: "You don't even understand what Fez is ... It's insane" - Big Jeffrey
  5. XCOM Enemy Unknown: "All Heavies ... mine hit like motherfucker ... here's the deep secret, no medkits" - Big Jeffrey
  6. Borderlands 2: "Tiny Tina is fucking terrible" - Big Jeffrey
  7. Forza Horizon: "Auuuuuuu aoooooo. Forza Horizon's in store Oct 23rd... Roast them, roast them bro !" - Big Jeffrey
  8. Halo 4: "It plays nice, it looks great ... Brad lives the life of perceived slight ... Stinky grenades ! ... Warthog ! ... " - Big Jeffrey http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayJwC4WWFoM
  9. Dead or Alive 5: "I really like Dead or Alive 5", ".. and walks over and Waaao waao waao ... it's like Havok cloth tech applied on entire boob ... All the girls have rock hard dicks all the time, so go ahead and get titillated by it now " - Big Jeffrey
  10. Far Cry 3: "There's ton of really dumb stuffs in this game and it's part of why I really like it" - Big Jeffrey

Brad

1. Journey: "You should play the game in one sitting ... playing like a really elegant animated film" - Giant Bomb's anime editor
  2. FTL: "It's awesome" - Giant Bomb's anime editor
  3. Fez: "I let out an involuntary yelp" - Giant Bomb's hentai editor
  4. XCOM Enemy Unknown: "Oh oh my god, is that it ?" - When Ryan used Mind control on Brad's single unit
  5. Asura's Wrath: "Game of the year." - Giant Bomb's anime editor.
  6. Trials Evolution: "Wow what ? ... Wow ... Wow ... Now I need to see what else's in here" - Giant Bomb's anime editor
  7. Dust an Elysian Tail: "Plays great, really an endearing game" - Giant Bomb's furry editor. "Sicko... Only you can rub one out to this photo ... " - Big Jeffrey
  8. Spelunky: "I bet you're full of shit ... Awesome ! ... God this game is amazing !" - Giant Bomb's furry editor
  9. Diablo III: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2mLb2I1hlE Giant Bomb's British editor
  10. Far Cry 3: "Seems kinda awesome so far" - Giant Bomb's furry editor
  11. Borderlands 2: "Didn't like Borderlands 2 for about 3 hours, then suddenly I really like Borderlands 2" - Giant Bomb's furry editor

Ryan

1. XCOM Enemy Unknown: "XCOM Enemy Unknown is a fantastic game... And that mission's a motherfucker" - Ryan 'Don't Care' Davis
  2. Asura's Wrath: "If you want, knowing fucking insanity beyond anything ... It's amazing ... It's so fucking crazy ! This is one of the most interesting thing Capcom has released in awhile" - Ryan 'Don't Care' Davis
  3. Journey: "I was really really bummed out. I was feeling it" - Ryan referring to the glitch in Journey. "I still think people should play Journey" - Ryan 'Don't Care' Davis
  4. The Walking Dead: "I played thru episode 3 which fuck. Wooo woo... I literally exclaimed to no one 'Oh WHAT THE FUCK' ... No choice at all, it's just fuck, fuck... everything leads to fuck town" - Ryan 'Don't Care' Davis
  5. Max Payne 3: "I think it's a good game. It's stylish." - Ryan 'Don't Care' Davis
  6. SSX - "I'm very excited" - Sean 'handsome' Coonce. "That is crazy" - Ryan 'Don't Care' Davis
  7. Diablo III - "Half a zombie" - Ryan 'Don't Care' Davis

Vinny

1. Sleeping Dogs: "I'm gonna go terrorize people in my building ... I was alone in this city, Hong Kong ... aaah this is too much fun" - Hongkong undercover cop Vinny http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-sleeping-dogs/17-6456/
  2. Journey: "?"
  3. XCOM Enemy Unknown: "My favorite part of the game is when the guys get nickname ... Terror disc" - Sgt. Vincent 'Italian Stallion' Caravela
  4. Asura's Wrath: "BURST !" - Super Sagan 4 Vinny
  5. The Walking Dead: "Why did you say Gary Whitta is a hack" - Brad. "All you other guys are fucking pussies ... Patrick Klepek: Worst Episode ! Thanks Gary !" - Zombie Vinny
  6. Far Cry 3: "Alright, go get that car and drive it into a shark" - Vacation Vinny
  7. Fez: "Fez has a really tightly woven universe to it ... Uranus sucks" - Vin Fish

Patrick

1. Journey: "Chirp chirp chirp ... what a nice guy" - Scoops
  2. XCOM Enemy Unknown: "What is double tap ?" - Scoops
  3. Tokyo Jungle: "It's fucking weird and quirky, reminds me a lot of great things that I love about Sony's early development efforts, like on PS1" - Scoops
  4. Dishonored: "It's a lot of fun. If you like these types of game, this is a terrific version of one of these games" - Scoops
  5. Asura's Wrath: "I really wanna hug all the artists ... That game is really awe-inspiring" - Scoops
  6. The Walking Dead: "I played Walking Dead episode 4 ... it's not a bad episode, I think it's a good episode, but I think it is the weakest of the four" - Scoops. "Patrick Klepek : Worst Episode ! Thanks Gary" - Vinny
  7. Mark of the Ninja: "epitomizes doing stealth in 2D" - Scoops
  8. Dragon's Dogma: "Capcom has delivered an open-world game with tremendously fun combat, a hilariously crazy ending, and not much else." - Scoops
  9. Hotline Miami: "OH GOD DAMMIT... I had the whole section figured out and then I didn't" - Scoops
  10. Fez: "Around 1 AM ... Got off my chair .. so happy" - Scoops

Alex

1. Journey
  2. The Walking Dead
  3. Sound Shapes
  4. Hotline Miami
  5. Rhythm Heaven Fever
  6. Sleeping Dogs
  7. SSX
  8. Spelunky
  9. WWE 13
  10. Untangling headphones

Drew

1. Long live Kim Il Sung: http://vimeo.com/41074044
  2. Long live Kim Jong Il: "That dude's stoke ! Look at my tank !" - Ryan Davis
  3. Long live Kim Jong Un: "Don't don't take a picture of me" - Comrade Drew Scanlon, while clapping and waving his hand
  4. Halo 4: "Do you believe in life after love ?" - Cher, around the end of TNT
  5. Diablo 3: "?"
  6. Aerofly FS: "Instruments ! Dave Snider ... Blargum blam blum brum" - Drew Scanlon
#2 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5432 posts) -

I'm calling it Funky Barn for Game of the Year.

#3 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I was going to post how there are threads for this already but I like the extra effort you put into this. Is that list of Alex games meant to be in order? If so he said on twitter that Walking Dead is his favorite.

#4 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3802 posts) -

X-Com, Walking Dead, Far Cry 3 are the games that will be in the running for GOTY I predict. I think X-Com will end up winning. I think Jeff will probably say Walking Dead isn't enough of a game and he will sway the others enough on that point to go X-Com. They all enjoyed that game.

I haven't played Far Cry 3 yet though and I'm very interested to see how they all react to that. Could be a dark horse.

#5 Edited by csl316 (8458 posts) -

I just hope Asura wins Best Anger. 

But I have absolutely no idea what the consensus would be for #1.  I would've guessed Mass Effect 3 after finishing it, since they liked 2 and I thought this did a lot better.... but boy were they down on that.  I'd make top tens but laziness.

#6 Posted by Zuldim (288 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

X-Com, Walking Dead, Far Cry 3 are the games that will be in the running for GOTY I predict. I think X-Com will end up winning. I think Jeff will probably say Walking Dead isn't enough of a game and he will sway the others enough on that point to go X-Com. They all enjoyed that game.

I haven't played Far Cry 3 yet though and I'm very interested to see how they all react to that. Could be a dark horse.

I don't get the argument that The Walking Dead isn't much of a game. It's totally a game, the gameplay just doesn't (mainly) involve running around shooting zombies. Those choices you make? The reason to play that game? That's gameplay.

*Shrug*

#7 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3802 posts) -

@Zuldim said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

I don't get the argument that The Walking Dead isn't much of a game. It's totally a game, the gameplay just doesn't (mainly) involve running around shooting zombies. Those choices you make? The reason to play that game? That's gameplay.

*Shrug*

I don't disagree with you but I'm inferring what Jeff will argue and the others may agree. Brad I think could be swayed enough by that. They all liked X-Com as well so it's not as if they will have to be pushed to choose a game they did not all like.

I could be wrong but just my guess.

#8 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

I don't think Diablo 3 will be on anyone's list. Ever.

#9 Posted by pyrodactyl (1975 posts) -

@sub_o: from your list, journey will be crown GoTY and god no, this can't be...

I think far cry 3 and xcom will be much higher in everyone's list. Borderlands won't make it in most top tens. TWD will be high with everyone but can't win overall GoTY because of sub-par gameplay.

Top 3 contenders for GoTY: far cry 3, journey and xcom

A 3 way fight should be more entertaining then the usual 2 way battle.

#10 Posted by brownsfantb (392 posts) -

I like the effort you put into this list but I don't think it's going to be too accurate. Mark of the Ninja will definitely be on Brad's list and Diablo 3 probably won't. I don't think BLOPS 2 will be that high for Jeff and I don't think Patrick will put Dragon's Dogma on his top 10 either.

#11 Posted by jackbugs (26 posts) -

I wonder to what extent time-spent-playing said game will be a factor. I'm sure there will some rich, heated debates either way as usual from the GB dudes, though I don't really know them one from another. Also, I find the Diablo 3 hate pretty funny. Most common thing I read (apart from the sales figures, which are pretty good right?) in the hate towards the game is that "it failed, loot was broken, etc, etc, oh, and also, that I spent 100+ hours playing it". I loved D3, played it more than any game this year, and on that alone it's my frontrunner for GOTY.

#12 Edited by pyrodactyl (1975 posts) -

@jackbugs said:

I wonder to what extent time-spent-playing said game will be a factor. I'm sure there will some rich, heated debates either way as usual from the GB dudes, though I don't really know them one from another. Also, I find the Diablo 3 hate pretty funny. Most common thing I read (apart from the sales figures, which are pretty good right?) in the hate towards the game is that "it failed, loot was broken, etc, etc, oh, and also, that I spent 100+ hours playing it". I loved D3, played it more than any game this year, and on that alone it's my frontrunner for GOTY.

one of their top 3 game will be journey so no, it won't be about time spent playing.

#13 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3802 posts) -

Personally, I don't see how Journey will possibly be higher on their GOTY totem pole than Walking Dead. I think they really liked Journey but a lot of people seem to be overestimating its impact on the crew IMO.

#14 Edited by jackbugs (26 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

@jackbugs said:

one of their top 3 game will be journey so no, it won't be about time spent playing.

You sound pretty sure. I don't know the guys as well as you I guess. Have a feeling that the entry of that particular game, and the rest of the shorter, more 'indie' titles, will provoke some good back and forth about their merits when compared to the big, robust AAA (whatever that means) titles. I feel that a person's time and how it is spent is a very worthwhile part of a discussion about their favorite games of the year.

#15 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

@sub_o said:

... Stinky grenades !
#16 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

Presuming these lists are not in order, this could be pretty accurate. I can't imagine Ryan putting Diablo III on his GOTY list before Torchlight II, though. Nor do I think Patrick will pick Dragon's Dogma over Zombi U.

I think we all agree the fight is XCOM v. Journey v. Walking Dead with Far Cry 3's opportunity to upset. Jeff and Brad really like it so far, but I'm not willing to say it's a frontrunner until we get more reactions and dudes start finishing it. I missed the TNT, though, so maybe that makes the Far Cry 3 love more evident.

#17 Posted by Zuldim (288 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Zuldim said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

*Shrug*

I don't disagree with you but I'm inferring what Jeff will argue and the others may agree. Brad I think could be swayed enough by that. They all liked X-Com as well so it's not as if they will have to be pushed to choose a game they did not all like.

Yeah, you're probably not wrong, I could easily see that happening, although I think Patrick is going to push pretty hard for it. I think it's going to come down between Walking Dead and XCOM this year, and both are fantastic games which deserve it, I just hope they give it to whichever game for the right reasons, not because Walking Dead wasn't "enough" of a game.

#18 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3802 posts) -

@Zuldim said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Zuldim said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

*Shrug*

Yeah, you're probably not wrong, I could easily see that happening, although I think Patrick is going to push pretty hard for it. I think it's going to come down between Walking Dead and XCOM this year, and both are fantastic games which deserve it, I just hope they give it to whichever game for the right reasons, not because Walking Dead wasn't "enough" of a game.

Agreed there. I think Ryan and Patrick will argue hard for Walking Dead. A factor to consider as well is that Walking Dead could fall back on "Best Downloadable".. so it could win that if not GOTY. That could be a bit of an out for it.

I do feel like Far Cry 3 will need to be considered though. Very interested to hear what they think about it on this weeks Bombcast. We already have good impressions from Jeff and Brad and Vinny I think there's plenty for Vinny's completion tendencies.

#19 Posted by Animasta (14673 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

Presuming these lists are not in order, this could be pretty accurate. I can't imagine Ryan putting Diablo III on his GOTY list before Torchlight II, though. Nor do I think Patrick will pick Dragon's Dogma over Zombi U.

I think we all agree the fight is XCOM v. Journey v. Walking Dead with Far Cry 3's opportunity to upset. Jeff and Brad really like it so far, but I'm not willing to say it's a frontrunner until we get more reactions and dudes start finishing it. I missed the TNT, though, so maybe that makes the Far Cry 3 love more evident.

Patrick seems to like it, as does Ryan and Vinny... I honestly think that it's far cry 3's spot to lose.

#20 Posted by Zuldim (288 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Zuldim said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Zuldim said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

*Shrug*

Agreed there. I think Ryan and Patrick will argue hard for Walking Dead. A factor to consider as well is that Walking Dead could fall back on "Best Downloadable".. so it could win that if not GOTY. That could be a bit of an out for it.

I do feel like Far Cry 3 will need to be considered though. Very interested to hear what they think about it on this weeks Bombcast.

Can Walking Dead get "best downloadable", now that it's gotten that retail release? I'm not sure if that'll disqualify it from that award or not. Also, IIRC, toward the end of Octoberkast when Jeff and Brad were on at the same time, I think there was a half-joking comment about removing the "best downloadable" award completely this year, since most the best games have been download exclusive. That'd be pretty interesting, although I don't know if they'll actually do it. I too think that Ryan and Patrick will be the main defenders of The Walking Dead as GOTY this year, although I could see Ryan siding with XCOM, because he really liked that game.

Man, if Far Cry 3 ends up being some sort of last minute upset like Saints Row was last year, that's going to be super weird!

#21 Edited by Elyk247 (366 posts) -

X-COM, The Walking Dead, Far Cry 3, Journey, and Dishonored are what I think are gonna be potential candidates.

That said, I really think the award should go to Journey or X-COM.

#22 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3802 posts) -

@Zuldim said:

Can Walking Dead get "best downloadable", now that it's gotten that retail release? I'm not sure if that'll disqualify it from that award or not. Also, IIRC, toward the end of Octoberkast when Jeff and Brad were on at the same time, I think there was a half-joking comment about removing the "best downloadable" award completely this year, since most the best games have been download exclusive. That'd be pretty interesting, although I don't know if they'll actually do it. I too think that Ryan and Patrick will be the main defenders of The Walking Dead as GOTY this year, although I could see Ryan siding with XCOM, because he really liked that game.

Man, if Far Cry 3 ends up being some sort of last minute upset like Saints Row was last year, that's going to be super weird!

Oh good point about the release of that game... though that wasn't the original release and all. Something to consider.

I don't think they would remove best downloadable just to give those games credit in themselves but that's going to keep being a debate and at some point I think the category will be removed. Just a matter of time. Could be this year, who knows. I imagine next gen that will be something that is really looked at.

The Far Cry 3 angle I never would have guessed a couple weeks ago, which is pretty awesome, but the game seems legit. I know I am very excited for it now after it being a total afterthought. Just seems like pure, crazy fun with a weird story so I could see for sure Jeff getting behind it and maybe the other dudes too.

#23 Posted by L44 (556 posts) -

Crashmo. Oh and I think that Torchlight II has a high probability of being neglected.

#24 Posted by me3639 (1753 posts) -

Nice job, really like the added quotes. 
I didnt play a lot of the AAA games this year, but would still fight with Jeff Syndicate is a polished, well made fps that is deserving, if anything, more people should play.
Also, Mark of the Ninja HAS to be on brad's GOTY list, and is also a strong contender.

#25 Posted by Zuldim (288 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Zuldim said:

Oh good point about the release of that game... though that wasn't the original release and all. Something to consider.

I don't think they would remove best downloadable just to give those games credit in themselves but that's going to keep being a debate and at some point I think the category will be removed. Just a matter of time. Could be this year, who knows. I imagine next gen that will be something that is really looked at.

The Far Cry 3 angle I never would have guessed a couple weeks ago, which is pretty awesome, but the game seems legit. I know I am very excited for it now after it being a total afterthought. Just seems like pure, crazy fun with a weird story so I could see for sure Jeff getting behind it and maybe the other dudes too.

Yeah, I guess it depends on whether they base that category on if the game is only available via download, or originally released as a download. Stuff like that gets weird. Eventually the "best downloadable" category will have to be retired, since in the not-too-distant future, we're going to see most games, even AAA titles, be released download first, or download only. The problem I see is that, due to the way things are going, the original intent of the category (to highlight smaller games which, while high quality, can't compete with big budget titles most of the time) is lost. The only real solution to that I see is making a new category like "Best Indie Title", but of course that gets weird because of how different people define indie (and how a company like EA can release an "indie bundle"). I wouldn't really have an issue with the "best downloadable" category being removed this year, I just hope they replace it with something with similar intent.

Yeah, Far Cry 3 came out of nowhere. I had totally written that game off based off of the previews (that sleazy E3 trailer with the gratuitous nudity, the co-op stuff that looked just awful, the plot seeming cliched), but after hearing Jeff talk about it on the Bombcast this week, and seeing the Quick Look, it's sitting real high on my Steam Wishlist all of the sudden. Total surprise, and if the story goes how he wants it to, I could totally see Jeff backing it as GOTY.

It should be an interesting GOTY list. I hope they do the same format they did last year where they discussed the list from the very beginning, and the placement of each game. That would be super interesting.

#26 Posted by JYoung (151 posts) -

I don't think the Walking Dead will be GotY. It will undoubtedly win best story, and rightfully so, it could win on the merit of its emotional impact or the way it innovates on storytelling in games alone, but between the technical problems and the gameplay flaws (like the FPS sequences), I don't think the guys will put it higher than second. XCom, Far Cry 3, TWD, Mark of the Ninja, Journey, Sleeping Dogs, Diablo 3, Halo 4, Asura's Wrath, and a wide open ten spot for Trials or Forza or Fez. That's my speculation.

#27 Edited by DrWhat (280 posts) -

My bets for the final showdown: Journey (Brad, Patrick ... Vinny?) vs XCOM (Jeff and Ryan). vs Far Cry 3 if they didn't totally fuck up the ending.

I'm betting Ubisoft totally fucked up FC3 though, and it's just Fight Club meets Extreme Trust Fund Kids meets "oh, the tatau gives you power" mystical native garbage tropes, and that's going to be hugely disappointing. I would love to be wrong on that point.

Either way, XCOM should win. But will the forces of Brad be victorious again this year? There's kind of a trend. We get to GOTY and Brad rolls out his game and filibusters it to the end.

But come on. XCOM. XCOM! It's so good.

edit: I'm betting Walking Dead is going to be a really close runner-up to these, too, but I don't think it's going to make the final cut. Might inspire a new category though. Best Narrative Experience, or something. It'd be a good category. Walking Dead, Black Ops 2, ... other stuff...

#28 Posted by SexVicar (53 posts) -

As long as Nintendoland gets "Bangin' menu or load screen screen beat of the year". It's all good. 

#29 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2690 posts) -

I think GOTY will eventually go to Far Cry 3, but the debate will be long.  i think there will be long discussions about Journey and Walking Dead, they might come close, but for various reasons they won't win.  I think FC3 does everything it sets out to do, and does it well.

#30 Posted by JasonLeeson (201 posts) -

Hey guys do we know the exact date when the Giant Bomb: Game of the Year podcast will drop?

Last year they put out multiple podcasts over the Holiday break, with the finial one being the dramatic (and exhausted) conclusion to GOTY - Will it be same this year, over at the new office?

#31 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

While I'm sure the OP thinks Journey is the GoTY I don't really think the rest of the crew does except possibly Brad. Also Brad would rate Diablo 3 higher just because it has the named Blizzard attached to it; even if the game were much worse than it was at launch which was eh, okay, he'd still have loved it.

Let's hope Far Cry 3 pulls it out, obviously best character of the year is going to it.

#32 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3802 posts) -

On twitter Brad said about Far Cry 3: "most fun I've had with a game this year I think"

https://twitter.com/bradshoemaker/status/274711040015622144

It will be a legit contender