Giantbombs New Office

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

I wonder if they have a separate area for playing games. For me, that open environment would be too distracting.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By Gav47

Too bright

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By alwaysbeclothing

Ugh, People on both sides of the desks?  Seeing as how much gear everyone has and such close proximity I can't imagine that helping productivity.  I remember Ryan playing GH3 in the gin video.  Imagine that on the other side of your desk while you're trying to write something.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By RobotHamster

I need videos! How to rebuild a bomb!!!!

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By alternate
@Berezov said:
" There's an awful lot of pillars in there, I'd still love to work there. "
Underground level of a presumably large building in a city with history of earthquakes.  Once you get the partition walls in it should sort itself.
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By Binman88

Looking forward to seeing more. Hope they retain some of the personality of their old space when they've got everything set up.

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#57  Edited By TheAdmin
@AlwaysBeClothing said:
" Ugh, People on both sides of the desks?  Seeing as how much gear everyone has and such close proximity I can't imagine that helping productivity.  I remember Ryan playing GH3 in the gin video.  Imagine that on the other side of your desk while you're trying to write something. "
Seriously... everyone is all bunched together... I'm surprised everyone didn't get their own site space - Tested getting a section, Giant Bomb getting a section.... Seems silly to have everyone together in the middle of the basement.
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#58  Edited By TheHT
@99X said:
" @AlwaysBeClothing said:
" Ugh, People on both sides of the desks?  Seeing as how much gear everyone has and such close proximity I can't imagine that helping productivity.  I remember Ryan playing GH3 in the gin video.  Imagine that on the other side of your desk while you're trying to write something. "
Seriously... everyone is all bunched together... I'm surprised everyone didn't get their own site space - Tested getting a section, Giant Bomb getting a section.... Seems silly to have everyone together in the middle of the basement. "
They're the ones doing the setup (and the work), so I imangine they'll do what's good for them.
TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By TheAdmin

They need to order some of these fake outdoor windows and sky lights:   

No Caption Provided

put some of those into the ceiling and some of these into the brick walls: 

No Caption Provided

http://www.theskyfactory.com/products/ - I wish I had space/reason to buy some for myself.  
Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By alwaysbeclothing
@TheHT: It seems almost like they were assigned seats.  Hopefully they should have conference offices or something to isolate noise for bombcast and such.  However, everything is speculation till the videos hit the sites.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@99X: I'd never, ever want to install one of those where I lived or anywhere, really.  I would go crazy constantly thinking about how all of it was fake.
DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#62  Edited By DevWil

it honestly looks like they're just getting ready to have a Quake 3 LAN.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#63  Edited By toowalrus
@99X: We have one solitary fake skylight tile at the pizza joint where I work. Just one, it's really weird looking, especially when it's raining outside, or dark.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#64  Edited By CptBedlam
@MattyFTM said:

" We have another picture of it courtesy of tested:

No Caption Provided
"
tbh, I guess some of the personal and intimate spirit that surrounded GB will be lost along the way. Seeing this, all that Whiskey media stuff in one big hall, it doesn't feel like GB is a "handful of friends"-operation anymore. This looks a lot like the gametrailers offices to me.

I most certainly won't effect the media output and for the bombcast they'll have a corner or extra room but still, it's a different feel.
VIGGO123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By VIGGO123

Does anyone know, with the moving and stuff, if there will be a Bombcast this week??

Pkshields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Pkshields

I'm also worried that this will make the site lose the personal feeling from the content on the site, wonder if one long room is the final setup of the new offices.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By gearhead
@Pkshields said:

" I'm also worried that this will make the site lose the personal feeling from the content on the site, wonder if one long room is the final setup of the new offices. "

Exactly my fear.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By CptBedlam
@VIGGO123 said:
" Does anyone know, with the moving and stuff, if there will be a Bombcast this week?? "
They said they would do a bombcast, no matter what.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By iam3green

lol it looks like basement. i'm sure they are going to finish and upgrading it to look better. 

if they are getting a new office how come we are still online. aren't the servers like on the next floor from where the crew work?

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Faint

looks like it has a very similar feel to the old office. i like it :)

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iam3green said:
" lol it looks like basement. i'm sure they are going to finish and upgrading it to look better.   if they are getting a new office how come we are still online. aren't the servers like on the next floor from where the crew work? "
Giant Bomb was down for a few hours the other day while they switched servers.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#72  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Right now it's looking rather large but rather soulless, it'll probably look better once they've had the time to cover the walls in movie posters and pictures of Shaq.

MeetThePyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By MeetThePyro

So.... BIG! 

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#74  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@iam3green said:

" if they are getting a new office how come we are still online. aren't the servers like on the next floor from where the crew work? "

The servers aren't (and have never been) located in the Sausalito office. They're somewhere in Canada, I believe.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By iam3green
@MattyFTM said:
" @iam3green said:

" if they are getting a new office how come we are still online. aren't the servers like on the next floor from where the crew work? "

The servers aren't (and have never been) located in the Sausalito office. They're somewhere in Canada, I believe. "
:O i thought they were because the crew always saying like we will go to the guys upstairs and fix that problem. something a long the lines of that. i thought the servers were upstairs.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By zombie2011

ewwwww they got Anime Vice in my Giantbomb.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#77  Edited By JP_Russell

Reminds me a little of the old Gamespot office space for some reason. 

@AlwaysBeClothing
said:

" @TheHT: It seems almost like they were assigned seats."

They were.  Mathew Rorie on Screened said in a recent video that he thinks he's supposed to be sitting next to Ryan in the new office, meaning they have pre-assigned work areas already.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#78  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@iam3green said:

" @MattyFTM said:

" @iam3green said:

The servers aren't (and have never been) located in the Sausalito office. They're somewhere in Canada, I believe. "
:O i thought they were because the crew always saying like we will go to the guys upstairs and fix that problem. something a long the lines of that. i thought the servers were upstairs. "
It's not uncommon for websites to locate their servers away from their offices. I assume they rent/lease them from a company that does server stuff, since I imagine owning and maintaining your own servers would cost an absolute fortune. But I really don't know much about the inner workings of keeping a website up and running, only that the Giant Bomb offices and servers are located quite a distance away from each other. It could be sorcery and witchcraft for all I know. SORCERY AND WITCHCRAFT I TELL YOU!!!!!!!
MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By MisterMouse

I am interested to see how the place will look.

ColinRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By ColinRyan

Now I want the bombcast! Love to work there.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#81  Edited By Dalai
@MattyFTM said:
" @iam3green said:

" @MattyFTM said:

" @iam3green said:

:O i thought they were because the crew always saying like we will go to the guys upstairs and fix that problem. something a long the lines of that. i thought the servers were upstairs. "
It's not uncommon for websites to locate their servers away from their offices. I assume they rent/lease them from a company that does server stuff, since I imagine owning and maintaining your own servers would cost an absolute fortune. But I really don't know much about the inner workings of keeping a website up and running, only that the Giant Bomb offices and servers are located quite a distance away from each other. It could be sorcery and witchcraft for all I know. SORCERY AND WITCHCRAFT I TELL YOU!!!!!!! "
I always figured Whiskey Media was involved in the dark arts in some fashion.
alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By alternate
@iam3green said:
" @MattyFTM said:
" @iam3green said:

They will be with a hosting company or server farm like most sites.  Remember all the times they bitched about how bad the internet was in the old place?  Not ideal to run servers off a crappy Comcast business line :D

I believe 365 main is very near the SF buiness district and remember a lot of the sites based on 2nd street (1up, IGN, gamestop, etc) used them a few years ago 'cause brown out in the power grid took out all those sites for a few days back in 2007.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Jimbo

@->--   xXx Ryan xXx   --
@->--   xXx Ryan xXx   --
Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Just needs a little decorating, a good place to hang Luchadeer and some good old game posters on the wall. I want to see proper photos of the office after everything is sorted.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By ravensword
@Vito_Raliffe:

Oh thank god. You cant have a proper office without that thing. Thats like forgetting the Luchadeer.  

Wait...... they DID remember Luchadeer right? 0_0
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By ravensword

I actually have a quick question. Are they sharing their office with any of the other Whiskey Media sites? are they going to be rubbin elbows with the tested people when they work on their computers or something? Or if theyre in teh same office, do they each have their own floor?
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Binman88
@Raven_Sword said:
" I actually have a quick question. Are they sharing their office with any of the other Whiskey Media sites? are they going to be rubbin elbows with the tested people when they work on their computers or something? Or if theyre in teh same office, do they each have their own floor? "
They're all on the same basement floor.
Sammichman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Sammichman

No Caption Provided
From Jeff's Twitter. The Podcast room.
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Raven_Sword said:
" @Vito_Raliffe: Oh thank god. You cant have a proper office without that thing. Thats like forgetting the Luchadeer.   Wait...... they DID remember Luchadeer right? 0_0 "
Yep! Luchadeer was placed in the back of the truck.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By jkz
@Binman88 said:

" @Raven_Sword said:

" I actually have a quick question. Are they sharing their office with any of the other Whiskey Media sites? are they going to be rubbin elbows with the tested people when they work on their computers or something? Or if theyre in teh same office, do they each have their own floor? "
They're all on the same basement floor. "
Yup 

You can see Jeff in the upper left, and Ryan sits right next to Norm.
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By DanielJW

We're seeing it in a rather bare state. I wouldn't be too worried about them losing personality. Give them a few weeks to get settled and spice things up. It'll feel like a cozy little home soon enough. 

Also do they have a cafeteria?!  

(from Ryan's Twitter)

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By ravensword
@jukezypoo:

Maybe it wont be a big deal, but that sounds like it could be problematic. Theyre trying to do video stuff, and the other sites wont STFU and let them do it or maybe it could become a conflict of goals and become distracting. I dont know, having multiple sites doing completely different things working literally right next to you sounds like it could be kinda problematic. Again, itll probaly be fine, just seems weird to me for some reason. And honestly, its not really the Giant Bomb office then, its the Whiskey Media office. Meaning no more cool office tours devoted only to what their doing. Also, I hope they dont have to work around eachothers schedules to get like green screen usages and all that, because that would be lame.
teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By teptom
@DanielJW: They could have just gone down the street or something.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By ravensword
@Binman88:

ALL the Whiskey Media sites? or only like 2 or 3? or all 5 of them? because god damn if they all 5 on one floor.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By ravensword
@DanielJW:

Im curious about Diana's meat pie.
Sammichman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Sammichman
@Raven_Sword said:
" @Binman88: ALL the Whiskey Media sites? or only like 2 or 3? or all 5 of them? because god damn if they all 5 on one floor. "
I know Tested, Giantbomb and Comic Vine are for sure on one floor. I'd guess Screened too, dunno about those Anime Vice guys though they're a little.... funky.
SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By SoothsayerGB

I can't see much.  So I don't know.  Blarg.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By jkz
@Raven_Sword: 

No no I see your point. I would make the case, though, that waiting might be a better choice. I'm sure they've taken into account the fact that the Giantbomb guys will be playing games, and talking to each other about said games, which is bound to create some noise. I wouldn't be surprised if there's small sections that will, in the future, be partitioned off for said uses.
RTSlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By RTSlord

The new podcast area! Now with fire extinguisher...   

EDIT: Dang, someone beat me too it
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Dany

ah, so bright/white