• 84 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19158 posts) -
The game's coming out on PSN, too. 

Skullgirls won't be the only all-female fighting game in town on XBLA it seems, as Microprose and Kung Fu Factory are developing Girl Fight, with "an array of sexy fighters" who must fight their way out of a dodgy scientific organisation known as 'The Foundation'.

The Foundation has been capturing women for their psionic abilities, plugging them into the mainframe to exploit them and weaponise their psionic powers. This hokum serves as the reason to unite the girls for a big fight, as they battle for survival.

Girl Fight will offer character customisation, unlockables and a range of arenas to duke it out in, and will be coming to the Xbox Live Arcade in spring 2012.

So basically, this is Skull Girls for a western audience. What do you guys think about this? I'm already iffy about Skullgirls because of its artstyle and general pandering nature... I guess I'm interested to see it in motion.

Source

#2 Posted by MysteriousBob (6273 posts) -

Its sad when you aspire to rip off a game that looks as bad as Skullgirls.

#3 Posted by iAmJohn (6091 posts) -

Wat.

#4 Posted by Little_Socrates (5649 posts) -

Skullgirls is already far less pandering and far more western. Street Fighter II is more western than Dead or Alive because it's not as dedicated to hentai (pervert) tropes. I will not be buying this game. An "array of sexy fighters?" Almost a guaranteed chance of a bad game. No thank you.

#5 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19158 posts) -
@Little_Socrates said:

Skullgirls is already far less pandering and far more western.

I agree that Skullgirls is at least more western than a typical anime fighting game because of its style, but from that story mode trailer and just general character design, I'm not sure I'm willing to concede that it's not very pandering.
#6 Posted by pixieface (122 posts) -

Sigh.

#7 Posted by DonutFever (3515 posts) -
Le sigh.
#8 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5120 posts) -

So Rumble Roses.

#9 Posted by Willin (1269 posts) -

So Rumble Roses then?

#10 Posted by Little_Socrates (5649 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Skullgirls doesn't initially promote itself using lips, tits, and bikinis; it does it with supernatural girls in ridiculous outfits and giant hair. I agree that it's got moe elements in its design, but nothing about Skullgirls is pandering to the baser elements even close to the level I've seen in the promotional materials in your first post.

#11 Posted by Delusibeta (68 posts) -

Ignoring the blatant pandering that makes Skullgirls look like One Foot On The Grave; that's the Microprose logo. I could have sworn they went bust years ago.

#12 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19158 posts) -
@Little_Socrates: Yeah, I will admit that this Girl Fight is, if anything, more... straightforward with its intentions.  
 
@PeasantAbuse@Willin: Yeah, I suppose, but doesn't this seem more gritty? Like, I wouldn't be surprised if there turned out to be bloody fatalities and such in this.
#13 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

I remember that i liked playing Rumble Roses with a bunch of friends. I might pick this up depeding on the price, even if i think this will be BAD.

#14 Posted by killacam (1283 posts) -

looks hawt

#15 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

Why all the hate? Nothing wrong with some sex appeal if the gameplay holds its end of the bargain.

#16 Posted by maskedarcstrike (700 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Skullgirls won't be the only all-female fighting game in town on XBLA it seems, as Microprose and Kung Fu Factory are developing Girl Fight, with "an array of sexy fighters" who must fight their way out of a dodgy scientific organisation known as 'The Foundation'.

The Foundation has been capturing women for their psionic abilities, plugging them into the mainframe to exploit them and weaponise their psionic powers. This hokum serves as the reason to unite the girls for a big fight, as they battle for survival.

Girl Fight will offer character customisation, unlockables and a range of arenas to duke it out in, and will be coming to the Xbox Live Arcade in spring 2012.

So basically, this is Skull Girls for a western audience. What do you guys think about this? I'm already iffy about Skullgirls because of its artstyle and general pandering nature... I guess I'm interested to see it in motion.

Source

Kinda funny it's called "Girl Fight" when the art pic on the bottom looks like 2 chicks are about to make out.

#17 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19158 posts) -
@mazik765 said:

Why all the hate? Nothing wrong with some sex appeal if the gameplay holds its end of the bargain.

I say there's plenty wrong, but whatever. Sex sells.
#18 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Well this is a little cringeworthy.
 
In regards to Skullgirls then I don't like the look of it at all, I have a feeling it will be dead within weeks.

#19 Edited by GorillaMoPena (1687 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

So Rumble Roses.

@Willin said:

So Rumble Roses then?

Rumble Rose XX then?

#20 Posted by L1GHTN1N (399 posts) -

I'm more confused about seeing Microprose helping to develop this...

#21 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4655 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

Skullgirls is already far less pandering and far more western. Street Fighter II is more western than Dead or Alive because it's not as dedicated to hentai (pervert) tropes. I will not be buying this game. An "array of sexy fighters?" Almost a guaranteed chance of a bad game. No thank you.

So you are saying the more perverted something is the more Japanese it is as well? Right.

#22 Posted by Little_Socrates (5649 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan: No, it's the very specific pervert culture of hentai that I'm referring to. I only included the translation to clarify that I didn't mean that either one was naked cartoon pussy.

#23 Posted by Dagbiker (6898 posts) -

Microprose is still a thing?

#24 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

Why doesn't the girl in the top picture have a nipple?

#25 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (2950 posts) -

Wait, this is getting compared to Skullgirls? That seems... odd. This just looks like your typical, shitty game that won't sell at all and has nothing going for it but random 'sex appeal'- seems more kind of creepy and pathetic to me, but definitely nowhere near the same thing as Skullgirls.

I mean, Skullgirls is, you know, an actual well-built fighting game with some crazy characters, a weird story, and generally looks intriguing. You could swap all the characters in it out for some that aren't as exaggerated or 'sexy', and it'd still look like a pretty cool game. This thing you're displaying in the first post looks like almost literally the worst thing made in the last five years.

#26 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11015 posts) -

Well, this reeks of desperation in pretty much every facet. Since it's published by Majesco do you bet that the main character from Bloodrayne will be a secret character or something? Ugh. Also: This is what the Microprose name is now being used for. The company that brought us X-COM and Civilization II now has its name being stamped on a questionable DOA-esque fighting game. Except at least DOA has male characters and takes its creepy pandering nature in a fairly cheeky, self-aware tone.

Also, I still totally don't like the art style for Skullgirls. Since that apparently is also a topic of conversation here.

#27 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

Well, it was bound to happen. The fighting genre is back to being mainstream so bring on the generic fighting games no one cares about once again!

#28 Posted by UltorOscariot (164 posts) -

Wow, how far has Microprose fallen that they would touch this with a ten foot pole? I can appreciate most of the people who were around in their hey day have probably long moved on, but this may be the case of a runaway brand that needs to be put down because it's gone rabid.

#29 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1722 posts) -
@mazik765 said:

Why all the hate? Nothing wrong with some sex appeal if the gameplay holds its end of the bargain.

Yep, agreed. I thought people were over the whole sexuality is evil thing.  
Most video-game playing westerners, any way. 
#30 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19158 posts) -
@Make_Me_Mad: Well, both Skullgirls and Girl Fight are relatively pandering, downloadable fighting games with an all-female cast. And I actually think this has a much better chance of selling than Skullgirls does just because of the way it looks. We can't determine either way, but I have a feeling Skullgirls won't do too well upon its release despite being a good fighting game while Girl Fight will do well enough even if it's utter shit. 
 
@PixelPrinny said:

Well, it was bound to happen. The fighting genre is back to being mainstream so bring on the generic fighting games no one cares about once again!

That's true. I guess this is like our time's Clay Fighter. However, if this truly is history repeating itself, the genre's bound to crash again...
#31 Edited by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

It better have jiggle physics or NO FUCKING SALE

#32 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (2950 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: You think this will sell well? I kind of got the vibe from it that it's the kind of thing that would be spat out of the shitty XBLA indie section or something similar. I think that a lot of the outreach the Skullgirls developers have done to prove they made a good game will probably carry them a decent way- even if people for some reason can't pull the stick out of their asses over the artstyle. This game just seems like a skeezy, sort-of not even a game.

#33 Edited by CptBedlam (4439 posts) -

Sounds terrible.

And yeah, Microprose... man ... how the mighty have fallen.

#34 Posted by falling_fast (2144 posts) -

ugh. skullgirls was bad enough on its own.

#35 Posted by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

Woo, breasts (not actually serious).

#36 Posted by BPRJCTX (705 posts) -

That's all kinds of insulting...

Anyway, pretty big chance of being a big pile of shit, slim chance of being completely forgettable, no chance of actually being any good.

#37 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5117 posts) -

It's like someone made a game for 14 years old me!

#38 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19158 posts) -
@Make_Me_Mad: Well, I can't guess much concerning Girl Fight since we've not seen anything about it except for some artwork yet, but I really don't think Skullgirls will do well at all and I've thought that for a while now. I kind of hope it does because it seems that the team behind it has put a lot of effort into it and it seems that it's a very competent fighting game. I don't have much reason to believe it will bomb upon its release, but I suppose we'll see in a month.
#39 Posted by Dagbiker (6898 posts) -

Are they fighting or about to have sex

#40 Posted by Gerhabio (1969 posts) -

...

#41 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6067 posts) -

Until I see footage of the game, this is really dumb. Say goodbye to community support after the first week.

#42 Posted by kindgineer (2486 posts) -

Man, some developers just have no shame anymore.

#43 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

Day 1 purchase for me. Who else wants to be in my Girl Fight clan?

#44 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6067 posts) -

This is from the people who made the terribad Supremacy MMA. Move along guys.

#45 Posted by gelatinabomination (181 posts) -

@Make_Me_Mad said:

Wait, this is getting compared to Skullgirls? That seems... odd. This just looks like your typical, shitty game that won't sell at all and has nothing going for it but random 'sex appeal'- seems more kind of creepy and pathetic to me, but definitely nowhere near the same thing as Skullgirls.

I mean, Skullgirls is, you know, an actual well-built fighting game with some crazy characters, a weird story, and generally looks intriguing. You could swap all the characters in it out for some that aren't as exaggerated or 'sexy', and it'd still look like a pretty cool game. This thing you're displaying in the first post looks like almost literally the worst thing made in the last five years.

Pretty much my opinion, as well. I really couldn't give less of a damn about the art style of Skullgirls as long as the gameplay is solid (which it looks like it will be). As for this... I would say that an art style is ALL it has, but that would mean we've seen actual art of the game. So far, all we have to go on is a logo and some random T&A. Say what you will about Skullgirls, but it didn't announce itself with a JPEG of boobies. I think.

#46 Posted by Dagbiker (6898 posts) -

I know im not the only one who thinks skull girls looks good

#47 Posted by Dagbiker (6898 posts) -

Also Girl Fight runs on the Transport Tycoon engine.

#48 Posted by Beforet (2884 posts) -

The art style of Skull Girls looks silly enough to maintain suspension of disbelief. This just look hilarious!

day 1 buy

#49 Posted by JasonR86 (9379 posts) -

Boy, people are sure going to point to this game when they say games are made for a more mature, refined audience...

Fuck.

#50 Posted by MostlyBearded (191 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

I know im not the only one who thinks skull girls looks good

I second that opinion. I really dig the character designs of Skullgirls, and the detail in the sprites is great.