• 164 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by FRW456 (1 posts) -

I'm a girl - I love playing games - I hate the term "girl gamer".  Why I hear you ask?  Well why do I have to be seperated, I hate modern feminism so please don't think I'm going off on that route but seriously can we not all just be people who play games (or "gamers if you really do feel the need to apply labels) after all I never hear of "boy gamers"!  Thoughts please ...

#2 Posted by Pie (7098 posts) -

It's stupid but makes sense

#3 Posted by rmanthorp (3948 posts) -

I'm a boy gamer so don't hit on me you silly girls!

#4 Posted by Toxin066 (3287 posts) -

There's also the NBA and the WNBA, with the distinction again given to women. I don't know why it is, it just is.

I'm fine with the term Man-Gamer. In fact, I think I'll start having everyone address me as such.

#5 Posted by Brendan (7807 posts) -

I'm a big boy gamer.

#6 Posted by rmanthorp (3948 posts) -

Loves how quickly the view count of my profile is going up ... does this have anything to do with the face I'm a member of the fairer sex lmao ;-D
3:47 p.m.

Also you posted this. So... There are females who play games just like there are females who exist. Some people are girls get over it. More than I hate the whole female gamers thing I hate talking about it...

#7 Posted by JBird (489 posts) -

I agree its stupid but its because your in a class that is by a huge percentage the minority. So your qualified by "girl gamer". Its so stupid but thats just how life works. Its like the term "black man". its perfectly acceptable to say "hey look that that black guy over there with the fur hat on" even though its focussing on the fact the dudes black and not on his awesome fur hat

#8 Posted by EuanDewar (4919 posts) -

Negative connotations and all that shit.

#9 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

The reason why is a majority of gamers are male. Pro Basketball started as a men's league, to differentiate the two you name the "new" thing accordingly. Most nurses are female so the term male nurse exists. It's just the way society is, labeling jobs, roles or hobbies as gender specific.

#10 Posted by Aegon (5628 posts) -
@Toxin066 said:

There's also the NBA and the WNBA, with the distinction again given to women. I don't know why it is, it just is.

I'm fine with the term Man-Gamer. In fact, I think I'll start having everyone address me as such.

Gaming was first predominantly a male activity, and not even a cool one. Basketball was played at first by men, and then when women came in, they had to make a distinction. 
#11 Posted by Deusx (1905 posts) -

I'm a Sexy-gamer that is what I'll call myself from now on.  Seriously though, I get what you are saying OP. Doing that is like saying that it needs to exist a law for gay marriage... It's just stupid. I respect every gamer. Men, women, krogan, elven, whatever, we are all equal and we all agree that I am awesome.

#12 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Same reason people point out that like, 80-90% of my closest friends are ladies. It's not the norm, so it will be pointed out. It's not because your a woman, it's because women are significantly outnumbered. No one thinks I'm a retard for preferring female friends, but they notice it and it sticks out.

Don't assume things are the way they are because people are looking down on you. It's the same issue that racism has: someone of a particular ethnicity assumes something is racist, even though in actuality it isn't at all. People like to separate things, they wish everything could be made of water and oil. The oddball will always be noticed more than the majority, not because of what the oddball is, but simply BECAUSE they are the odd one out.

#13 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Just a fancy term, people like to classify things, especially in things deemed not fit for women(army/gaming/sports).

Just be a gamer then, like I do, and if someone raises an issue with my sex I just waste them ingame! 
Problem solved!

#14 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

No, because that sounds incredibly pedophile-y. Maybe the term should be "lady gamer" ("woman gamer" sounds a tad generic) instead.

#15 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

The "omg you're a..." is added to it because a majority or the stereotypical "gamer" is well classified as a loser. So when they can relate to someone of the opposite sex they may feel they may have a better chance with them compared to someone who doesn't game.

#16 Posted by rmanthorp (3948 posts) -
@H2Oyea Gaming was first predominatly a male activity? Where the FUCK are the facts to back that shit up?! That is such bs and part of this stupid problem. Arrrgghhg rage levels raising so fast.
#17 Posted by HatKing (5949 posts) -
@FRW456: Well if it makes you feel any better I never use the term girl-gamer.  Just as I would never say girl-basketball player or girl-moviegoer.  Actually I don't even bother saying actresses and actors. 

Then I occasionally run into the problem with gender specific job titles like postmen and policemen.  I generally remedy that with terms like postal worker and police officer, though.
#18 Posted by MentalDisruption (1635 posts) -

Gaming is generally a male dominated hobby, and that's why it seems more important for some people to emphasize gender when it comes to girls. Even though it's becoming more common for girls to pick up a controller, most gamers are still males. It's just one of those things that stand out more because it's not as common. Like a boy cheerleader. The internet tends to emphasize the label more because people can feel free to be as immature as they want with any joke about "pics now" or whatever. I wouldn't say it's meant in any negative way outside of certain kinds of internet behavior, so girls will just have to put up with it until the ratio of guy gamers to girl gamers becomes more equal. Whenever that may be.

#19 Posted by PK_Koopa (583 posts) -

I personally don't use the term 'girl gamer' since I use gamer as a unisex term. The only time I do use that term is when discussions like this come up, but then I'd also say 'guy gamers' or something.

#20 Posted by rmanthorp (3948 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong But why should you feel like you have something to prove? Why can't it just be. Arrgh I hate this...
#21 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

I can tell you're a girl because you have the obligatory stupid ass "cam"and facebook style pics of your breasts and face at weird angles.

Thankyou very much.

#22 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Its used because the majority of gamers are dudes, so when a girl comes along, it needs to be emphasized so that guys don't swear when they play multiplayer games. 

#23 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@FourWude said:

I can tell you're a girl because you have the obligatory stupid ass "cam"and facebook style pics of your breasts and face at weird angles.

Thankyou very much.

I can't even see her breasts in that picture what picture are you looking at

#24 Posted by Lifestrike (482 posts) -
I am a mdfuruohguatnfafi gamer.
#25 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@Rufi91
I don't feel the need to prove anything. 

Its the kids who bombard me with comments/messages during online games I want to show that being a gamer isn't tied to sex.
I refuse to not play online games or engage in a meaningless debate with people while I'm trying to have fun in a game.

That's what I meant, as response to people, not join a lobby and scream: FUCK YEAH I'M A GIRL AND I WILL OWN YOU ALL.
That's just silly.
#26 Posted by 71Ranchero (2767 posts) -

One would assume that as the hobby gets older, terms like "Girl-Gamer" will go away. Gaming as a hobby has only recently started to be acceptable to the average Joe(or Jill). For many years it was a nerds only club so of course females would be sparse. I would expect that as the current generation of younger gamers grows older this term and many other dumb things in our community will go away. As a 30+ year old male that has been friends with/dated many woman that have been gamers I honestly don't see the need to differentiate. Hell the only real difference is that "Girl-Gamers" tend to be a hell of allot more pleasant then the average riff raff you get around there places. 

#27 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

Saying boy gamer is stupid just as much as saying girl gamer, the gender doesn't describe the person. Honestly it's like saying there are white gamers and black gamers, it just means that we haven't evolved enough as a society.

#28 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

You're part of a minority, and people like to label things. Until the population of gamers is evenly split male and female, you're going to hear it a lot. That said, I've never used the term myself. If I'm talking about a girl and want to call her a gamer I don't see any use in adding an extra word. Chances are people already know the person I'm talking about is a girl if it's relevant.

#29 Posted by Gav47 (1542 posts) -

Yes I'm a guy and I play games, deal wit it haterz

#30 Edited by FourWude (2261 posts) -
@FRW456 said:

@FourWude: It shows that's all your bothering to notice - there's more to that picture (i.e. the fact I love my photography and I wanted a summery shot of my dress while I experimented with angles) so well done on taking the lead on proving the apprantly sterotypical male reaction to an image where a pair of breasts are visible in any way shape or form.    

Exactly what is "artistic" about this pic? And secondly how the fuck am I NOT supposed to look at the breasts? This is what I don't understand about you girls. You get your tits out, flaunt them and then get uppity when someone looks and comments on them. 

#31 Posted by rmanthorp (3948 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong Comment redacted then. I like to believe the statistic that 50% of game players are female and we just don't notice it because only 15% of them are "hehe I'm a girl ganer cept don't be sexist cause I could beat you at l4d2 hehe xoxoxo
#32 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

I am a Man Gamer. 

Mamer.

#33 Posted by ajamafalous (11994 posts) -

@Rufi91 said:

I'm a boy gamer so don't hit on me you silly girls!

lol'd

#34 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6992 posts) -

I hate the term "girl gamer." It's stupid. But what I hate more is girls who embrace it. 

HEYYYYY GUYS I'M A GIRL GAMER I SO SPECIAL

#35 Posted by killerdud745 (55 posts) -
@Lifestrike said:
I am a mdfuruohguatnfafi gamer.
That sounds like fun. 

Personally I don't use terms like that but if I had to I would call myself a Guy Gamer, but I just say I am a dude who enjoys video games. 
It is all silly though.
#36 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -
@FRW456 said:
@SlashseveN303: I don't believe that it would change if it was split evenly and it still makes no sens that it applies ... after all there are more women nurses than males, we don't say woman nurse/males nurse, or (and I'm not sure of the ratio) woman film watcher/male film watcher.  Like I said previously its more what comes attached with the label than its common use in the industry :-)
I've heard the title of Male Nurse used plenty.
#37 Posted by rmanthorp (3948 posts) -
@Metal_Gear_Sunny
I hate the term "girl gamer." It's stupid. But what I hate more is girls who embrace it. 

HEYYYYY GUYS I'M A GIRL GAMER I SO SPECIAL
Yup. That about sums up all my rage.
#38 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Aronman789 said:
I am a Man Gamer.  Mamer.
This... 

...this is amazing.
#39 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

The gender shit is dumb as shit. Male, female, alien, robot, etc.

#40 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
#41 Edited by Getz (3007 posts) -

Soon enough we won't really have the gender distinction for "gamers" as more and more ladies realize what they're missing out on. It's just a hold-over from when girls who gamed were an anomaly to be 'ooooo"ed and "aaaah"ed at. Of course, people say actress and waitress still...

We need a better, more concise word in that case. I nominate "gamerina"

Edit: just realized that it sounds like gay marina.

#42 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Getz: "Gamerina" what the shit does that even mean?
#43 Posted by Getz (3007 posts) -

@Napalm said:

I think you know

#44 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@Rufi91
I'm with ya all the way duder, I just wanna have fun, fuck the details :P
#45 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -
#46 Posted by Th3_James (2578 posts) -

I just don't like the term "gamer" I play games yes, but I don't want to be associated with people who consider themselves gamers. If you play games fine, but I just hate hearing "i'm a hardcore gamer" and other bullshit.

#47 Posted by rmanthorp (3948 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong: Yup. I'm done in this silly thread, the only thing that is going to correct this issue is ignoring it and moving on.

#48 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Getz said:

@Napalm said:

I think you know

Vagina + Gamer - Vag = Gamerina?
#49 Posted by TanoPrime (180 posts) -

Why aren't there sandwiches and beer in this thread!!?!?  I kid, i kid :p

#50 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -
@Napalm said:
@Getz said:

@Napalm said:

I think you know

Vagina + Gamer - Vag = Gamerina?
I think he means like ballerina, but with gamer in it.