• 53 results
#1 Edited by Maedhros925 (51 posts) -

Last night the girlfriend and I finished up Kirby's Epic Yarn, which means we're out of co-op multiplayer games to play. Some of the titles I'm considering are Donkey Kong country Returns or Rayman Origins, but I'm worried that either might be too difficult. I'm not sure what to play next, so I'm throwing it out there for the Giant Bomb community.

What are your favorite cooperative multiplayer games? Are there games that you've played with your significant other that she's enjoyed? Please give me some recommendations. Keep in mind that my girlfriend enjoys video games, but she wouldn't be considered a "core gamer". Great visuals, especially those that could be described as "cute", are just as important as gameplay. For reference, here are the other games we've played through so far:

• Kirby's Return to Dreamland
  • Lego Batman
  • Lego Indiana Jones
  • Lego Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Lego Star Wars: The complete Saga
  • Mario Kart Wii
  • New Super Mario Bros Wii
#2 Posted by UncleClassy (405 posts) -

Rapelay.

Nothing but Rapelay

#3 Posted by Alexandruxx (228 posts) -

Scoregasm.

#4 Posted by RazielCuts (2987 posts) -

Portal 2

#5 Posted by SSully (4322 posts) -

I've played plenty of games with my girlfriend that I never thought I would. She absolutely loves Mortal Kombat tag team ladders. The game is hard at first for her, but eventually she was taking on hard difficulty enemies with no problems.

I say go for Rayman Orgins, it gets hard near the end, the rest is pretty standard. Portal 2 could also be fun.

#6 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

me and my gf played through the Gears Of War trilogy coop. was great fun and she loved it.

#7 Posted by Veiasma (194 posts) -

Halo 1 (AE if you like pretty graphics) Co Op. If she dies a lot, you can always carry hard or run back for a re-spawn. Also, its a pretty vibrant color pallet for a FPS.

#8 Posted by PaulRevere (209 posts) -

@RazielCuts said:

Portal 2

I'm just gonna go ahead and second this.

#9 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1669 posts) -

@SSully said:

I say go for Rayman Orgins, it gets hard near the end, the rest is pretty standard. Portal 2 could also be fun.

@RazielCuts said:

Portal 2

I'm going to have to agree with these two. Tried both, and I can say that they're really good. (With portal 2 be prepared to tell her exactly what to do though....)

#10 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

Twisted Metal. Happy Valentine's Day baby.

#11 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

DKC Returns is SUPER difficult. My girlfriend and I still have a couple of levels that we just skipped because damn. It was just ridiculous, and having lives made it worse because of having to start over some super long levels. We made it through a lot of that just by the skin of our teeth.

#12 Edited by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Catherine. Well, it has co-op.
 But seriously, play Tekken or maybe the already mentioned Portal 2, Rayman Origins and Donkey Kong Country Returns(EDIT: But beware of DK Country. Seriously. It made me scream with my sister. It gets hard sometimes.).

#13 Posted by HarkinNecro (81 posts) -

girlfriend and I enjoy playing Dungeon Defenders together.

She likes her pink mage :)

#14 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

Way of the Warrior

#15 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

I've played through uncharted 2 and most of LA Noire with my girlfriend. We just pass the controller back and forth, which works because both of those games are about as much fun to watch as they are to play.

#16 Posted by BSw (256 posts) -

The Fancy Pants Adventures is pretty easy, though it can get a bit frustrating at some points. Lode Runner seems very viable as well. Also, my girlfriend really likes Burnout 3.

#17 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

I didn't play them with a significant other, but Minecraft and Portal 2 were very fun to play with a close lady friend of mine.

#18 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12110 posts) -

I think that Trine is a chill enough game that you could probably play co-op with a significant other and not get stressed to death.

#19 Posted by Tackchevy (266 posts) -

XBLA has served me well in this respect. The Lego games are great, but puzzler platformers have been the majority of gaming with girlfriend / fiance / wife. Braid, Trine, World of Goo, Puzzle Quest, Monkey Island remakes. Bastion. Catherine was great as well, but the difficulty got a little rough for her, plus I obviously only got to do the "relationship" path, "affair" required some user inputs that were clearly off the table.

She balked at Dark Souls. Her loss.

#20 Edited by Jeust (10858 posts) -
For sure: 

• Mario Kart Wii
  • New Super Mario Bros Wii
#21 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -

Co Op platformers.

Trine is a good one.

#22 Posted by Deadmeat (94 posts) -

Assuming you only have a wii? Mod Nation Racers is awesome choice.

I'd say Lego games ANY of them, I don't know what it is about them. My ex is an MD resident working 80 hours a week, doesn't ever play video games, yet for some reason those hooked her and she found time to play them. I'd say that's a good endorsement.

#23 Posted by project343 (2838 posts) -

Viva Pinata 2. Great visuals, fun coop, adorable, relatively light on pressure...

#24 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4701 posts) -

What ever she shows the most interest in.

#25 Posted by Killer_Babomb (35 posts) -

As you mentioned, lego games. Those are GREAT for coop with the other half.

#26 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

My GF loves Chu Chu Rocket. If you have a Dreamcast laying around then get on that.

Edit: in b4 fellatio jokes

#27 Posted by rockyhorrorgerri (373 posts) -

...I say if she doesn't want to play your type of co-op game, don't play hers. No just kidding.

I suppose my personal favorite co-ops that SHE may enjoy are:

• Mario Kart
  • Lego ...anything really.
  • Uhh....ran out of good ideas?
#28 Posted by HatKing (6108 posts) -
#29 Posted by VisariLoyalist (3000 posts) -

You haz lady friend?!?!?! OMG

#30 Posted by D_W (1197 posts) -

You could try Saints Row 3.

#31 Edited by NTM (7542 posts) -

It depends, a lot of girls (or women if you prefer) that aren't too into games but can play them occasionally, like games like Super Mario Kart, girls who are a little more into gaming like games like Left 4 Dead, but I guess it depends on if she likes to shoot zombies. Why don't you ask her instead of us? By the way, I like how you referred to her as "the" instead of my.

#32 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Go to the store with her and show her the boxes to a few games that you think she might like. While it's like buying a game with an 8 year old (I remember doing this with my Genesis) at least you are giving her good options with good games. Have her pick, she will be delighted you are trusting her with the decision.

#33 Posted by Wicked_Wumpus (175 posts) -

My girlfriend and I have played Little Big Planet quite a bit although it started to get a little hard for her.

After she saw me play Twilight Princess a few times she started her own game so that might be a good non-coop idea.

#34 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Racing games might be good, especially Dirt/Burnout stuff. Forza with heavy assistance might be fun, me and my lady have had some fun with that sorta stuff. Another good option is games you're as inexperienced with as she is.

#35 Posted by Taefarinas (88 posts) -

So I do play lots of games, but I generally don't like FPSs. My husband and I played split-screen Borderlands together, and that was really fun. The first little bit was a bit tricky, and he had to do most of the combat, but once I got Roland leveled up a bit (he played Brick) it became a really hilarious experience. You could watch the quick look with her and see if it looks like something she might be interested in.

#36 Posted by djaoni (338 posts) -

Cooking Mama.

#37 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
  • Hide the Salami
  • Don't shit yourself.
#38 Posted by Masha2932 (1242 posts) -

Ratchet and clank: All for one

Little big planet 2

Mushroom wars- competitive play is so much fun

Trine 2

Skylanders

Borderlands

#39 Posted by CookieMonster (2448 posts) -

50 cent: Blood on the Sand.

#40 Posted by l4wd0g (2016 posts) -
  • Rock Band
  • Dance Central
#41 Posted by GS_Dan (1397 posts) -

Little big planet?

#42 Posted by slantedwindows (272 posts) -

dark souls. if she can't handle it - dump her.

#43 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

What about single player games? Something like Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2 if she enjoyed New Super Mario Bros Wii. I'm assuming you want her to enjoy gaming on her own level and not just with you though.

#44 Posted by Raven10 (1922 posts) -

Do you have a PS3? If so some of Sony's more family oriented fare like LittleBigPlanet, ModNation Racers, and Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One might be some good choices. LittleBigPlanet can get pretty hard towards the end but if she liked the look of Kriby Epic Yarn she is bound to like the look of LBP. Also on PS3 there is Trine and Trine 2(which is also on 360). You can lower the difficulty level and then she shouldn't have a problem with it.

If she doesn't mind first person games, then Portal 2 is a good choice, or Left 4 Dead if she is a fan of zombies. Playing Gears or Halo on their easy difficulties also wouldn't be very challenging assuming she would be into the violence. Resistance 1 and 3 on PS3 are also fun in co-op. I haven't played Donkey Kong or Rayman but both are supposed to be very challenging so I'd say you might want to go with something easier if she isn't very good.

#45 Edited by DragonBloodthirsty (470 posts) -

I did MMOs for a while with my old girlfriend. I always found Mario Kart to be fun, but that isn't "cooperative".

I'm not sure how hardcore your girlfriend is; I liked Terraria, although the difficulty in that game might be too high for her.

[quote]girlfriend and I enjoy playing Dungeon Defenders together.

She likes her pink mage :)[/quote]

I hear that's a cute game. I thought it was okay myself; I was put off by the aesthetic choice, but it's not too bad.

#46 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -

I only played MSN Minesweeper with that "significant other"... Can I recommend some Flash games?

• Forest Temple
  • Light Temple
  • Ice Temple
#47 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

My girlfriend and I played through the co-op of Portal 2 and had a ton of fun. Sorry to be redundant - but it should be clear that that is the best choice.

#48 Posted by JasonR86 (9726 posts) -

The title of this thread is fucking dumb as hell.

#49 Edited by MentalDisruption (1670 posts) -

Little Big Planet or Portal. Oh, and Dark Souls.

#50 Posted by HandsomeMuffin (108 posts) -

Lara Croft and the guardian of light is a fun co op game, depending on what she likes, played that through with my girlfriend but she also likes gears and halo. Maybe get a guitar hero or rock band on the cheap?