Given the chance, which decade would you rather live in?

• 73 results
FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By FilipHolm

I love where I am right now. But I'd love to visit the 50's/60's... I'm a white middle-class male so I think I'd enjoy it...

If you're not however, you damn better stay right where you are

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Legion_

@Counterclockwork87: By civil I mean men dressed in suits and smoked indoors. Basically, I'd want to live in Mad Men's 60's.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#53  Edited By Brendan

Uhh, to all the college-grad aged people saying the 80's...y'know that generation was called "Gen X" for a reason, right? Partly because they were fucked and had no jobs? That's partly why they're typified as cynical? Not a great choice.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By zaccheus

I couldn't take any of the sexism, racism, homophobia and xenophobia etc. that seems to be more and more prevalent when you go back in time. It's bad enough now.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By JZ

90s best decade ever. You had the snes and the ps1 There was still magic in the world.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By Brendan

@Legion_ said:

@Counterclockwork87: By civil I mean men dressed in suits and smoked indoors. Basically, I'd want to live in Mad Men's 60's.

You want to live in the era where minorities, gays, and women were treated like shit all the time, where people drove drunk and didn't care, and where people smoked indoors and endangered everyone's health? Good choice.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By Jimbo

@Brendan said:

@Legion_ said:

You want to live in the era where minorities, gays, and women were treated like shit all the time, where people drove drunk and didn't care, and where people smoked indoors and endangered everyone's health? Good choice.

It is if you aren't a minority, gay or a woman.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By stonyman65

I'd say post-World War II (late 1940's to early 1950's), or pre-war (1930's - early 1940's)

I've always loved niore films and pinup girls, so that's right where I would want to be

Bismarck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By Bismarck

I will stick with here and now.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Lysergica33

In the spirit of the topic... The 60's. I would've fit in very well there, what with my love of hallucinogens and psychadelia. But I am pretty happy to be living in the here and now. 2012 has been a very special, powerful year, one that I am glad to have been a part of.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By GunslingerPanda

80s. Goddammit invent a time machine, someone.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#62  Edited By cosi83

40s, birth of 4 piece cool jazz

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By Rafaelfc

the 90's. not because of nostalgia, but because it was fucking AWESOME!!!

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#64  Edited By galiant

I would have enjoyed the 80's I think, which I voted for - but truth be told I really like where we are now.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By amir90

I wouldn't go back in time. Don't believe in the nostallgia, trust me, there are many different bad things in the past.

DizzyMedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By DizzyMedal

I voted 2000s because I couldn't vote for this decade.

I am far too aware that I need the internet far too much. Real internet ... I'm not going back to that dialup shit.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#67  Edited By Branthog

I think the 50s would have been awesome. I mean, without all the racism. But with all the sexism. Yeah, I said it.

At first, I think I'd miss the internet and technology and video games. On the other hand, there's something so pleasant about a time when it took awhile for things to happen. If you needed to do some paperwork, you had to carbon copy some stuff from the typewriter, mail it over to a guy across town, then he had to open it, read it, sign it, mail it back to you. And you would call and leave messages with secretaries instead of answering machines. There was a certain pace to things, even if still fast. Today? I email you a doc, you sign it, email it back and that transaction is done in five minutes. Everything happens quicker. No down-time. No pacing. Everything is immediate and iterations are quick quick quick.

On top of that, there were fewer distractions. Count all the television channels on one hand. Go to drive-in theaters. Buy real food at stores. You didn't have to shut out the internet or your cell phone (mostly for work, in my case) or your pager or your ipad. You could just sit peacefully and read for hours. Go out and do actual things. All stuff we can do, today, but it feels like it's competing with so many other demands, today.

Not to mention, there was a certain post-war optimism, versus the constant fear (about everything -- war, terrorism, finances, employment) of today.

Anything earlier than the 50s and I think you lose all the great modern conveniences of society and have to put in too much back-breaking labor. Anything later and it's just more war, war, war (not that the Korean War wasn't a big deal, obviously) and social strife.

So, yeah, pretty much give me the 50s, but without all the racism and I'm down for that. I'll even take all of the cold-war fear along with it.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By Tylea002

All I want to use time travel for is to see how the future looks back on our current culture.

AND NOTHING ELSE.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#69  Edited By TobbRobb

You guys are all crazy. Society moves FORWARD, taking a step back seems like the most pointless idea I have ever heard. I want to live now, and I want now to get better.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#71  Edited By kerse

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#72  Edited By Ravenlight

The future. For future drugs.

Avatar image for jonathanashleymoore
JonathanAshleyMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

90's or 2010's.

Illuminosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Illuminosopher

none of them they all suck.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#75  Edited By BaneFireLord

The 2000s, because Internet.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Legion_

@Brendan: So, basically like today. Difference is today we don't have class.