• 73 results
#1 Posted by Sammo21 (3550 posts) -

The first time I was made aware of the man complaining about not getting access to the Titanfall alpha was because of Patrick on Twitter. I clicked the link and was only able to make it about two or three minutes before I got the gist of the video: The man is a redneck who dips, doesn't like the PS4, early adopted an Xbox One under some misguided assumption there would be tons of games at launch, and is now upset he didn't get to play in an alpha which he almost seems to act like is the full game. Being from South East Tennessee hearing, and seeing, what I did in this video isn't weird. I shrugged it off and then went on my day. Being from here I can say he seems like a classic redneck from actions to demeanor. Also, having worked for Gamestop for two years in the area I saw people like him come in all the time.

Now, apparently, the video is going viral and tons of people are seeing this guy (who apparently streams gameplay from PC as well) and I wonder if people like Kotaku, Patrick Klepeck, and other gaming sites who link to this man aren't encouraging this kind of idiotic content? People like Francis, who I watch in limited doses, are playing a character and don't really fall into this category in my opinion, but this man offers nothing of use but curses, vitriol, and to ultimately push the stereotypical image of a man from the south: ignorant, dipping, and classless. I guess the overall argument extends to the news, cable and local, where they push things we "want" to see more than things we "need" to see but I think its a conversation worth having. The video offers no commentary or message other than the equivalent of "first world problems" and now he's collecting infinitely more views on all of his videos thanks to the traffic generated from sites relinking. Reading Kotaku's article they basically even said something similar to, "and you're welcome for the generated hits from this post."

Does anyone get what I'm saying? Maybe I am over thinking the situation and in this day and age this type of thing is expected or that people actually want to see and prop up people and content providers who act this way. I just feel its the equivalent of a person watching someone get beaten up and saying how terrible that is but then they pull out their cellphone and make a video of it to post online for hits. Again, I'm probably just looking at this a little too seriously...and thinking back to how ignorant and infuriating that guy was probably clouds my judgement a bit. I just feel as if in this modern age it would be better to not even advertise something like this video as in the end advertising it is only encouraging other morons to be the same in hopes they get reposted on sites like Kotaku and others.

#2 Posted by TobbRobb (4844 posts) -

Yeah I'd say this is a real concern. But even then, if one site ignores it, 3 others will post it. I'd say it is more important to make an example and a point out of linking something like this. Just underline that it isn't alright behavior.

Though who knows, idiocy breeds out of nowhere even without help. Even if the outside light is largely negative, some people will find something relatable or idealistic in the most moronic behavior.

#3 Posted by Ares42 (2796 posts) -

I'm gonna regret making this into a Patrick thing, but my first thought after clicking the link was literally "why did you feel the need to share this with your audience?". I get that it's sorta funny to point out stupid shit, but you would think that people who spend so much time on the internet would understand what they're really doing. But then again, it's twitter.. not the first time someone posts something on twitter without thinking about it. If kotaku actually made an "article" about it that's way worse.

#4 Posted by crithon (3443 posts) -

it's only a matter of time till other sites pick it up, remember PS Triple from about 6 years back?

#5 Posted by Sammo21 (3550 posts) -

@ares42: I agree, I thought the same thing. Kotaku making a full blown article about it (which I refuse to link to) was kind of the actually head cocking moment for me. I quote:

_____ has been on YouTube about a year, and now he has his first big hit. Methinks he's the next prize hire for a multi-channel network. Rage on, _____.

I took out the youtube user's name and links Kotaku had used. Neither of them need more direct publicity and I doubt most people at this point haven't at least seen a few minutes of the man's curse filled tirade.

#6 Posted by InfamousBIG (3227 posts) -

@sammo21: I hadn't heard about this, but after watching the video, yeah, this whole thing is pretty stupid. I wouldn't take it so seriously, though. If you're expecting good journalism out of Kotaku...come on. I mean, it's not like they haven't ever done a good thing, but they're not exactly renowned for not seeking out page views. And "This Gentlemen is Upset He Wasn't Invited to Titanfall's Alpha" is going to get clicks, and therefore money.

In regards to the dude, yeah, he's being a whiny idiot, but I don't think the accent or dipping has anything to do with that personally. I'm originally from Northern Cali and I've unfortunately dipped for years (but in recent years very lightly), and an accent is just an accent. And to be fair, his points may not be completely invalid, he's just being stupid about them. All in all, the stupidest thing about this whole phenomenon is that it is a phenomenon.

As far as your conversation is concerned, the media doesn't give a flying fuck what we "want" or "need" to know. In this age of the internet, they care about page views and advertising revenues. Somewhere like Giantbomb is an exception to the rule. As far as Patrick linking it? I guess he found it amusing or interesting. I don't, but some people must in order to click the link and make it this viral in the first place, right?

#7 Posted by MB (13116 posts) -

It's ironic that it was this thread that made me seek the video out and watch it.

#8 Posted by fetchfox (1362 posts) -

@mb: Ha, same here.

But yeah, this is stupid. I never found this kind of production to be any form of entertainment, just nuisance. I don't really see the harm in giving him his fifteen minutes though. There are so many like him, or others that actually gives insight into what they're talking about, that I think he'll simply disappear into the aether over time.

#9 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1649 posts) -

Yeeee-haaaww!

#10 Posted by cassus (388 posts) -

I think we need to realize that for every person of above average intelligence there has to be one below. For every Niceman there will be someone equally "not nice". We can't expect for everything on the internet to appeal to us. Some people just love that negative hating vibe. There's even a huge surge in far righters these days, so hatred is pretty rampant today, and that's just how it is sometimes. People are hot tempered, and we'll see shit like this. I'm not particularly surprised that he was the stereotypical southern idiot, though. Crude and dumb.

Take comfort in the fact that this is content for angry morons. The only reason he got attention was an accident. Should there crop up a million of these angry fucks, fine. His attention was accidental, and other angry shitlords who feel like riding the accidental publicity train, fine. Spend your time achieving youtube irrelevance, I guess.

Hating takes no effort what so ever, that's why you see people like the titanfall redneck. People want attention but have no skills. We should give attention to those who deserve it, though.

On a sideish note, I stick to nice people for my video entertainment, and I think most people do. Giant Bomb and the Yogscast has me covered. Kinda surprised no one mentions the yogscast on here tbh. The GB and Yogscast communities generally consist of nicemen, and the fact that there seems to be absolutely no overlap is weird to me. Both GB and Yogs rely on personality driven random shenanigans and bullshit. Both have hilarious people in their 30s. Both are very positive and friendly. So yeah, stick to nice people on the interwebs and everyone will be happier.

#11 Posted by Fattony12000 (7566 posts) -

#12 Edited by Sammo21 (3550 posts) -

@infamousbig: My intention wasn't to claim that him dipping made him a redneck but it was more the sum of his parts as well as the fact he resembled about 60%+ of the customers who walked into the Gamestop I worked in.

#13 Posted by SharkEthic (1064 posts) -

Surely the irony of your own post isn't lost on you, right? I had no idea who this guy was before reading this, and after watching half of that godaweful video, I'd have preferred it that way. So yeah, thanks for sharing.

#14 Edited by Sammo21 (3550 posts) -

@sharkethic: eh, if you felt inclined to look up the video after I intentionally made sure not to share the user's name or link to anything pertaining it then that's "your problem". No, the "irony" isn't lost on me as the video has already been discussed, posted, and advertised on gaming sites. If you already knew what was terrible about it but chose to give him your viewership and click then that is completely on you...especially when a commenter in this thread posted a video that pretty much parodied the video and included enough original footage for you to get the gist of everything he had to say.

#15 Posted by RonGalaxy (3267 posts) -

I visit kotaku daily. I saw the post in their feed, but I ignored it. I will continue to ignore it. You should begin ignoring it. It just isn't worth the trouble.

None of the parties involved did anything so obscene as to incite frustration in you. Kotaku linked it because they are a 'gaming lifestyle' blog that posts a lot of dumb shit that might appeal to gamers (which there's nothing wrong with that.I like watching dumb shit from time to time, and I play video games a lot). Patrick posted it on his twitter because it's fucking twitter; one of the 4 pillars of posting dumb shit on the internet. The guy didn't do anything wrong except make himself look like a fool. Sure he's reinforcing the stereotypical southern male, but that's because he IS the stereotypical southern male. That's who he is, so there isnt any point in saying he shouldn't get notoriety because he makes other southerners look bad. That's kind of wrong in it's own right.

And it isn't anything like taking a video of a person getting beat up. HE made the video. HE uploaded it. It's all on him. It's more akin to a person beating themselves up and taking a video of it, and expecting to get a positive reaction.

#16 Edited by Trilogy (2688 posts) -

That's similar to my issue with the internet in general. I've noticed that people on forums who are reasonable, logical, and avoid confrontation are usually ignored. Their posts seem to just get buried by people responding and engaging with posters who are crass, loud, obnoxious, offensive, or argumentative. We're probably all a little guilty of it. I have various theories on why this seems to be the case. Maybe we just find kindness and moderate thought to be boring. As the proverb goes, the nail that sticks out the furthest gets hammered first.

It's certainly not always the case, however. There are plenty of examples of attention given to those who deserve it, and not to jackasses like the titan fall guy. I suppose I just feel the inverse to be more often true.

#17 Posted by TruthTellah (9472 posts) -

I had thankfully forgotten about the video until I saw this thread. :|

#18 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1649 posts) -

That was pretty funny.

Also spit tobacco is probably the grosses thing on earth.

#19 Posted by Karkarov (3275 posts) -

@sammo21: A few other users make a very good point. If you don't like the guys video content, think sharing it is dumb, think gaming sites should never mention it, feel it is stupid Kotaku made an article (newsflash, Kotaku IS STUPID), then you really should not have posted at all. Even negative publicity IS publicity and like some others I had never heard of this until this post cause I don't follow Patrick's Twitter I couldn't care less about anything Kotaku does. Fortunately I have grown wise enough to learn read thread then maybe click links.

The internet needs less crap content, do your share and stop talking about them so they stop getting hits ;p.

#20 Edited by TruthTellah (9472 posts) -
@trilogy said:

That's similar to my issue with the internet in general. I've noticed that people on forums who are reasonable, logical, and avoid confrontation are usually ignored. Their posts seem to just get buried by people responding and engaging with posters who are crass, loud, obnoxious, offensive, or argumentative. We're probably all a little guilty of it. I have various theories on why this seems to be the case. Maybe we just find kindness and moderate thought to be boring. As the proverb goes, the nail that sticks out the furthest gets hammered first.

It's certainly not always the case, however. There are plenty of examples of attention given to those who deserve it, and not to jackasses like the titan fall guy. I suppose I just feel the inverse to be more often true.

That's quite true, and unfortunately, it's wider than just the Internet. News of all kind focuses more on murderers than those doing good or the loudest politicians with the best soundbites over those trying to say reasonable things. You hear more about North Korea and its angry rhetoric than a relatively peaceful country like Poland or Iceland with interesting ideas for progress. The people who get heard are the shouters or the bloggers with the loudest or catchiest lines, not those taking the time to figure out or explain practical solutions. The Internet has certainly added a layer of emergency to even the most mundane things, and even casual conversation practically has to be catchy to get someone's attention today.

Frankly, it takes people making a concerted effort to care about the reasonable out there, and we do need more of that. Many people will likely read more from tweets than books, and we'll know a little about a lot but understand even less. It's an uphill battle, but we can do our best to give more of our time and coverage to the reasonable and thorough. It just takes more effort than simply grasping to the catchiest headlines or most shocking comments we see.

#21 Posted by Pezen (1668 posts) -

@fattony12000: Wait, is that a bottle of lotion to the left of his monitor? Awwyyeeahh.

#22 Posted by EthanML (459 posts) -

Had never heard of this until now so...anti-productive thread I guess.

#23 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

kinda shot yourself in the foot by making a bunch of us actually seek out the video of this....

#24 Edited by Wolfgame (878 posts) -

@vinny_says: @ethanml: some of you aren't too good at recognizing the level of exposure this thing received from Patrick's tweet and a whole article on kotaku compared to a single forum post isolated on giantbomb by Sammo21

#25 Posted by InfamousBIG (3227 posts) -

@sammo21 said:

@infamousbig: My intention wasn't to claim that him dipping made him a redneck but it was more the sum of his parts as well as the fact he resembled about 60%+ of the customers who walked into the Gamestop I worked in.

Nah, I got your point, I guess I was just saying personally that stuff didn't make me judge him too much (and it doesn't sound like you either) but I can totally see why people would, but also yeah, sum of his parts, he's kind of a hick.

Also spit tobacco is probably the grosses thing on earth.

I'm not trying to defend it by any means, but as someone who's dipped and smoked before, smoking is way grosser. Yeah, dipping you spit a lot, but it's a put it in, spit it out when you're done sort of thing - five minutes after you're done, there's no sign that you had. Smoking makes your breath smell like shit, everything taste like shit, makes you smell like shit, and makes your clothes smell like shit forever afterwards. They're both definitely something to be avoided, however.

#26 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (1365 posts) -

Entitled manchild makes a whole bunch of noise because he didn't get a beta key, finally get one because of a dumb vid, yet millions of honest gamers don't? This guy is an embarrasment for gamers.

#27 Posted by bybeach (4996 posts) -

I appreciated Pat linking it. I laughed my ass off. I loved the time out for a spit near the end. Almost for emphasis, you know.

Things going viral rarely involve me, they just do not affect my world....yet. Except mostly for a laugh, since I avoid the nasty stuff, a goatse 2-cup virgin here. Well I know about them, lol. And songs like Smell yo Dick are classics.

And I never forget when my boss leaned out the door and spat tobacco all over my boots as I was coming in. F**king gross!

#28 Posted by ripelivejam (4862 posts) -

the titanfall redneck, is that dlc?

#29 Posted by SharkEthic (1064 posts) -
@sammo21 said:

@sharkethic: eh, if you felt inclined to look up the video after I intentionally made sure not to share the user's name or link to anything pertaining it then that's "your problem". No, the "irony" isn't lost on me as the video has already been discussed, posted, and advertised on gaming sites. If you already knew what was terrible about it but chose to give him your viewership and click then that is completely on you...especially when a commenter in this thread posted a video that pretty much parodied the video and included enough original footage for you to get the gist of everything he had to say.

Judging from all the responses it seems I'm not exactly the only one to seek out the video, so you can call it "our problem" and "on us" for giving him more views, but the fact of the matter is that if it hadn't been for this thread the video would've had less views than it does.

You are part of the problem, congratulations.

#30 Edited by Splodge (1952 posts) -

To be honest, I don't think I will ever be able to get over this whole situation. It's really important and I am really upset about it.

#31 Posted by Nodima (1294 posts) -

Welcome to Youtube. I don't have a problem with it, there are MUCH bigger fish to fry, like people yelling "World Star!" in the middle of almost any public fight now with their cameras out. If someone wants to record themselves ranting (however misguidedly) about something and then put it on the internet, they are free to express their opinion. That is the beauty of this ethereal thing we call the world wide web, and everyone is allowed an equal chance to have their voice heard, at least relative to their peers. However he captured the minds of gaming audiences, he did it and that's really not on him; when Patrick linked the video it only had 54 views. How could he or anyone else have known that it'd get re-blogged so many times? That's what makes the internet so compelling: a nobody one minute, a household name the next, a nobody again the next.

#32 Edited by Wolfgame (878 posts) -

@sammo21 said:

Judging from all the responses it seems I'm not exactly the only one to seek out the video, so you can call it "our problem" and "on us" for giving him more views, but the fact of the matter is that if it hadn't been for this thread the video would've had less views than it does.

You are part of the problem, congratulations.

This is like beating up the Walmart greeter because you are disappointed with Walmarts business practices, lets just ignore all the more prolific outlets and personalities giving this unneeded attention and thousands of views.

#33 Posted by noizy (716 posts) -

@nodima said:

That's what makes the internet so compelling: a nobody one minute, a household name the next, a nobody again the next.

Andy Warhol would have been proud.

#34 Edited by Deathstriker (335 posts) -

@sammo21: lol, it sounds like you're implying that him getting an X1 and not liking the PS4 is a sign of his low intelligence. Also, I'm pretty sure he said screw both systems since they have nothing to play. I didn't think the video was that bad, but it does seem weird that sites and gaming critics are pushing it. EA probably set the worst example by giving him a code because he made the video, or at least that's what he said in the comments.

#35 Posted by Onomatopoeia (101 posts) -

the titanfall redneck, is that dlc?

Exclusive Titanfall DLC introduces the Cletus Titan!

#36 Edited by drbobbint (48 posts) -

Honestly I wasn't really bothered by the obscenity riddled rant. What DID bother me was the fact that kotaku once again used "news" from another source in a pathetic attempt to garner clicks. I mean shit, this guy had less than 30 fucking subscribers. Who the hell is trolling youtube looking for this shit? Its the same shit that happened with ShrineNI. Kotaku blew that up and baited clicks with that. Hey gaming journalists, why don't you stop "reporting" on shit like this and give us some previews, release dates, trailers, reviews etc. Its really fucking sad when I end up going to youtube or smaller sites for gaming information and reviews because the larger sites have all but become irrelevant.I mean, what the fuck do they do in the gawker media building all day long?

People that have the time to sit there sifting through youtube videos like that make me feel depressed: it shows that someone has NOTHING ELSE going on in their life and they can sit there just trolling videos. It really is touching how you "intelligent" can judge a person based off of one video. It really makes me feel warm inside and have faith in humanity. I'm pretty sure he wasn't thinking "yeah i'll go viral if i do this" he was venting his anger and frustration to his less than 30 subscribers. I dare ANY of you to say that you've never overreacted. His mistake was putting it on youtube and having some assclown with NO LIFE see it. Look at star wars kid, his shit going viral really worked out great for him.

#37 Posted by Fearbeard (834 posts) -

I never heard about it until your post. You have now given this man more attention.

#38 Posted by Demoskinos (15152 posts) -

Man the irony of this post is so delicious.

#39 Posted by Onomatopoeia (101 posts) -

Honestly I wasn't really bothered by the obscenity riddled rant. What DID bother me was the fact that kotaku once again used "news" from another source in a pathetic attempt to garner clicks. I mean shit, this guy had less than 30 fucking subscribers. Who the hell is trolling youtube looking for this shit? Its the same shit that happened with ShrineNI. Kotaku blew that up and baited clicks with that. Hey gaming journalists, why don't you stop "reporting" on shit like this and give us some previews, release dates, trailers, reviews etc. Its really fucking sad when I end up going to youtube or smaller sites for gaming information and reviews because the larger sites have all but become irrelevant.I mean, what the fuck do they do in the gawker media building all day long?

People that have the time to sit there sifting through youtube videos like that make me feel depressed: it shows that someone has NOTHING ELSE going on in their life and they can sit there just trolling videos. It really is touching how you "intelligent" can judge a person based off of one video. It really makes me feel warm inside and have faith in humanity. I'm pretty sure he wasn't thinking "yeah i'll go viral if i do this" he was venting his anger and frustration to his less than 30 subscribers. I dare ANY of you to say that you've never overreacted. His mistake was putting it on youtube and having some assclown with NO LIFE see it. Look at star wars kid, his shit going viral really worked out great for him.

It's not just Kotaku, gaming journalism isn't journalism. It's nothing but clickbait and now it has gotten even worse with all this feminism shit that's infested video games, when sites talk about sexism more than games than a game (see RPS and Polygon) to get traffic then it's time to get the fuck away from this joke of a profession.

#40 Posted by drbobbint (48 posts) -

@onomatopoeia: I generally go to halfassgaming for my reviews. The guy who runs it is pretty good. You might want to check it out.

#41 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1649 posts) -

I just want to mention quickly that "gaming journalism" isn't the only kind of journalism that has become all about tabloid headlines and click bate. I don't know if you've watched MSNBC or Fox News lately, but their really no different. I'm not defending "games journalism" I just want to make sure that people understand journalism, in a broader sense, is struggling right now.

#42 Edited by Kevin_Cogneto (1169 posts) -
@sammo21 said:

@sharkethic: eh, if you felt inclined to look up the video after I intentionally made sure not to share the user's name or link to anything pertaining it then that's "your problem". No, the "irony" isn't lost on me as the video has already been discussed, posted, and advertised on gaming sites. If you already knew what was terrible about it but chose to give him your viewership and click then that is completely on you...

Hey everyone quick, don't think about balloons!

You're thinking about balloons aren't you, you son of a bitch! After I expressly told you not to! Well that's "your problem"!

#43 Posted by spraynardtatum (3696 posts) -

I think all this is just a brilliant marketing ruse set up by EA to brainwash people into thinking that Titanfall haters are whiny and clueless and have weird personal vendettas that lack reason.....very well played EA, but you can't fool this cat.

Fuck EA, Titanfall is a hoax, people make these dumb videos all the time on Youtube why is this one all of a sudden famous?!?!?! Think about it America.

I hope this buster got paid for making himself look like such a numbskull. All to help promote the most promoted game ever made. Titanfall.

#44 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2221 posts) -
#45 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1649 posts) -
#46 Edited by Monkeyto (30 posts) -

I don't find any issue with this guy making a video about being upset. It's not the first "cool story bro" video on YouTube, and won't be the last. As for Kotaku, blogs like that just annoy me, so I don't read them.

#47 Posted by ripelivejam (4862 posts) -

click bate, lmfaoo

#48 Posted by crithon (3443 posts) -

sigh, I didn't like it when Kotaku used to be about Cakes.

#49 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5992 posts) -

The guy came across as a hot headed internet youtuber who didn't quite understand what was going on. He's not the first and he won't be the last. That's what the internet consists of for the most part, right? Sure, there's plenty of reasonable people out there who can converse with other reasonable people like adults, but hyperbolic nonsense is what makes our society go round nowadays.

#50 Posted by russman588 (68 posts) -

People take Twitter way too seriously.