"Go kill that guy!" KillZone 2 Impressions

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Edited By vidiot

Everyone is dropping their own early opinions of Killzone 2, so I thought I might add my own two cents over this insane game.

Jeez where do I begin. I guess I should start out by being critical, this game is getting heaps of praise, which it most certainly deserves, but I've had a few moments of head scratching.

In the future. Soldiers are delivered to hostile war zones via floating shopping carts.
In the future. Soldiers are delivered to hostile war zones via floating shopping carts.
Like I said I'm only a few levels in and do you know what I know about what's going on? Not much. Granted I know that this is a sequel but for those of you, like me, who have never touched the first Killzone or it's PSP side game, too bad.

The Hellghast are bad. I know this because they have British accents and have red eyes.

I'm a good guy. People call me Sev. I'm with some other people. They tell me what to do. They also swear.

I'm on the Hellghan planet. The Hellghast don't like that.

I looked in the game's manual in order to catch myself up to what's going on. There's not a single page in it that says anything about the context of the game.

They were kind enough to stick a giant piece of paper advertising PSP games though.

I'm not asking for Killzone 2 to have deep psychological undertones ala Bioshock. But in comparison, so far I've found more affinity for the storyline in the first Gears game. I don't care about any of the characters I'm with so far. They seem entirely interchangeable, at least Gears gave their characters personality...shallowpersonality, but personality nonetheless. At least I remember them. To be fair I'm only in the early portion of the game, who knows perhaps things will eventually get better. Not counting on it.

Aside from that, Killzone 2 is straight up amazing. Easily trumping every game on the market in terms of graphical fidelity this game is something else to just look at. I haven't stopped to just take in the scenery of a game in a long time, everything from back alleys to beaches are just gorgeous.

Even though the plot takes a back seat, the amount of trigger happy events so far have been so consistent that I have yet to really care too much. When your on a beach and thirty red-eyed Hellghan marines are sprinting toward you, the tendency to think of the game's context is thrown out the window. In the last few hours I've easily experienced some of the best FPS moments I've ever had in years. The weapons are great, the set pieces...my god...

I think Killzone finally found it's place in the FPS community. It's able to exist on it's own, it has a good cover system that surprising works in first person, and a great variety of weapons.

Killzone 2 is a graphical benchmark game. Similar to Doom 3, for better or worse, one of the major aspects associated with it with be it's visuals. It's one of those games you look at and remind yourself: "One day, most games will hit this quality." And for that alone this game is worth checking out.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By vidiot

Everyone is dropping their own early opinions of Killzone 2, so I thought I might add my own two cents over this insane game.

Jeez where do I begin. I guess I should start out by being critical, this game is getting heaps of praise, which it most certainly deserves, but I've had a few moments of head scratching.

Like I said I'm only a few levels in and do you know what I know about what's going on? Not much. Granted I know that this is a sequel but for those of you, like me, who have never touched the first Killzone or it's PSP side game, too bad.

The Hellghast are bad. I know this because they have British accents and have red eyes.

I'm a good guy. People call me Sev. I'm with some other people. They tell me what to do. They also swear.

I'm on the Hellghan planet. The Hellghast don't like that.

I looked in the game's manual in order to catch myself up to what's going on. There's not a single page in it that says anything about the context of the game.

They were kind enough to stick a giant piece of paper advertising PSP games though.

I'm not asking for Killzone 2 to have deep psychological undertones ala Bioshock. But in comparison, so far I've found more affinity for the storyline in the first Gears game. I don't care about any of the characters I'm with so far. They seem entirely interchangeable, at least Gears gave their characters personality...shallowpersonality, but personality nonetheless. At least I remember them. To be fair I'm only in the early portion of the game, who knows perhaps things will eventually get better. Not counting on it.

Aside from that, Killzone 2 is straight up amazing. Easily trumping every game on the market in terms of graphical fidelity this game is something else to just look at. I haven't stopped to just take in the scenery of a game in a long time, everything from back alleys to beaches are just gorgeous.

Even though the plot takes a back seat, the amount of trigger happy events so far have been so consistent that I have yet to really care too much. When your on a beach and thirty red-eyed Hellghan marines are sprinting toward you, the tendency to think of the game's context is thrown out the window. In the last few hours I've easily experienced some of the best FPS moments I've ever had in years. The weapons are great, the set pieces...my god...

I think Killzone finally found it's place in the FPS community. It's able to exist on it's own, it has a good cover system that surprising works in first person, and a great variety of weapons.

Killzone 2 is a graphical benchmark game. Similar to Doom 3, for better or worse, one of the major aspects associated with it with be it's visuals. It's one of those games you look at and remind yourself: "One day, most games will hit this quality." And for that alone this game is worth checking out.

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Kratos81

I Dont agree, Im on the 2nd level and so far its been a bore fest. I do agree about the characters, I dont care about any of them. I may get in to it, I didnt like halflife 2 at first and now its my favorite fps of all time. I really dont like the way the guns shoot, not only does the aiming feel off compared to every other fps I have ever played, I dont like the way the recoil of the gun works. I dont know how to explain it but the guns just dont feel very fun to shoot IMO. Normally when I get a new game I play for hrs, I was bored on first level, because half of it I played in the demo 100 times, and just couldnt get in to it. I turned it off when I got to the 2nd level. I also think I am the only one who thinks the graphics are overrated. The cut scene at the beginning was fantastic but the actual gameplay is good but not near as good as everyone says. I dont know, maybe I just dont like the art style. So far not really a kz2 fan. I was never hyped for the game so I wasnt expecting to be blown away.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Right now you don't care about your team. Prepare to HATE them!
Man, I wish Sev could just break off from the team and do shit on his lonesome while they do support far, far away from his firefights.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By vidiot
Kratos81 said:
"I Dont agree, Im on the 2nd level and so far its been a bore fest. I do agree about the characters, I dont care about any of them. I may get in to it, I didnt like halflife 2 at first and now its my favorite fps of all time. I really dont like the way the guns shoot, not only does the aiming feel off compared to every other fps I have ever played, I dont like the way the recoil of the gun works. I dont know how to explain it but the guns just dont feel very fun to shoot IMO. Normally when I get a new game I play for hrs, I was bored on first level, because half of it I played in the demo 100 times, and just couldnt get in to it. I turned it off when I got to the 2nd level. I also think I am the only one who thinks the graphics are overrated. The cut scene at the beginning was fantastic but the actual gameplay is good but not near as good as everyone says. I dont know, maybe I just dont like the art style. So far not really a kz2 fan. I was never hyped for the game so I wasnt expecting to be blown away."
I noticed the default sensitivity, like the demo, was...bad. I immediately changed it, but even still your character defiantly feels like he has added weight associated to him. It's different, defiantly when compared to other titles of the same genre, I can easily see why people don't like it.

I'm not a fan of generic space marines either (art style). But I can't look away from the fact that this game simply looks incredible.

TeflonBilly said:
"Right now you don't care about your team. Prepare to HATE them!
Man, I wish Sev could just break off from the team and do shit on his lonesome while they do support far, far away from his firefights.
"
...crap.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

I'll pick it up later.  PLaying Star Ocean now. 
I'm pretty sure I already know what Killzone 2 is based on the demo I played and just general previews.  I can wait.  Not exactly itching for a new shooter.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By LiquidPrince
vidiot said:
"Like I said I'm only a few levels in and do you know what I know about what's going on? Not much. Granted I know that this is a sequel but for those of you, like me, who have never touched the first Killzone or it's PSP side game, too bad.

I'm on the Hellghan planet. The Hellghast don't like that. "
I love this summary. I don't know why, but it made me laugh =P