God damnit Nintendo...

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

Edited By Sunjammer

I have not sworn so much during a press conference in years. Corporate god damn bullshit through and through, it's like watching an Apple keynote really. Just a big show of consensus reality; If we can convince enough people that we are great, then it must be true!

Nintendo, you motherfuckers. I already own your stupid Wii, 3 of your stupid DSes, 2 GBAs, 3 iterations of the Gameboy, the NES, the SNES, i own your god damn hardware, okay? I OWN it! Give me some mother fucking games to play! A press conference full of self appraisal, bullshit "interviews" with people on the street, it's a god damn reality bubble, and watching the MS and Sony keynotes, where they are actually building their brands and actually gaining some momentum, the feeling i'm stuck with is that Nintendo is resting on their early gains, and that they are going to get bum rushed the hell out of the market altogether.

I have invested so many years in that company, and they are doing EVERYTHING THEY CAN to alienate me at this point. A *SINGLE* game i'm remotely interested in? For a whole press conference? How the hell can they go from my absolute favorite to frustrating cock tease on such short notice?

It's literally heartbreaking. Throw that insincere Cammy chick out the window. Give Reggie his balls back. Less philosophy from Iwata and more ACTION. You're all talk, no action! A *pulse* sensor? Are you fucking kidding me? WHAT?

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Sunjammer

I have not sworn so much during a press conference in years. Corporate god damn bullshit through and through, it's like watching an Apple keynote really. Just a big show of consensus reality; If we can convince enough people that we are great, then it must be true!

Nintendo, you motherfuckers. I already own your stupid Wii, 3 of your stupid DSes, 2 GBAs, 3 iterations of the Gameboy, the NES, the SNES, i own your god damn hardware, okay? I OWN it! Give me some mother fucking games to play! A press conference full of self appraisal, bullshit "interviews" with people on the street, it's a god damn reality bubble, and watching the MS and Sony keynotes, where they are actually building their brands and actually gaining some momentum, the feeling i'm stuck with is that Nintendo is resting on their early gains, and that they are going to get bum rushed the hell out of the market altogether.

I have invested so many years in that company, and they are doing EVERYTHING THEY CAN to alienate me at this point. A *SINGLE* game i'm remotely interested in? For a whole press conference? How the hell can they go from my absolute favorite to frustrating cock tease on such short notice?

It's literally heartbreaking. Throw that insincere Cammy chick out the window. Give Reggie his balls back. Less philosophy from Iwata and more ACTION. You're all talk, no action! A *pulse* sensor? Are you fucking kidding me? WHAT?

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By kraznor

My thoughts exactly, with slightly more cursing.

baggykins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By baggykins

I felt so bad for them... It was like they didn't see the grave they were digging...

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ineedaname

I can't help but agree when I bought the wii a few months later I suddenly regretted it so picked up a PS3 then later the 360, having watched that my thoughts were something like:
1. Nintendo announce a new mario: We get that Mario sells but come on something new.
2. Nintendo announce Mario again: Well I get that mario sells but twice in one conference, too much mario maybe a new IP is next,
3. Nintendo announce Mario yet again: Well fuck that get some new IP you lazy bastards.
4. Out comes metroid: yeah I can dig that. But new IP?
5. Conduit: meh new IP but not more than an FPS.
6. Pulse sensor: Wait what I heard that right didn't I? It checks my pulse? If I need to check my pulse I'll assume I have heart problems and I'd see a doctor.
And that doctor won't be Dr. Mario.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Milkman

I thought the Nintendo conference was pretty good but yeah, Sony and Microsoft kicked the crap out of them.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RsistncE

I wasn't expecting any better and luckily I wasn't dumb enough to buy the Wii when I was really close to doing it. Thank god.

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sunjammer
@RsistncE: There is nothing dumb about the Wii. The system has great games. It's got a stagnant future however.
CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CharlieTuna

Sell the damn thing, that's what I did after I got a PS3 and then used the money to get a 360 to be it's friend. Now we're a happy family.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Lies

Dude:

• Mario Galaxy 2
  • New Super Mario Brothers Wii
  • Metroid: Other M
  • Golden Sun DS
  • Mario & Luigi 3

Five games right there, all with GREAT pedigree and all coming directly form Nintendo and partners. It wasn't a great conference, but don't say they gave you nothing.
BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

I'm in a wheelchair and when he showed the pulse sensor I literally laughrd so hard I almost fell out of my chair it's ridiculus.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By luce
@Sunjammer said:
"  A *pulse* sensor? Are you fucking kidding me? WHAT? "
you should have seen my face when they brought that up..
Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sunjammer
@Lies: They fulfilled their quota at a bare minimum. This shit is formulaic Nintendo at this point and you know it. Got a template? Fill it out.

The Metroid game looks genuinely fascinating. The others? Cool, but they did not have to announce that at an E3 press conference. We all knew that was coming already. No surprises whatsoever.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RsistncE
@Sunjammer: Look I'm not trying to rag on Wii owners but you said it yourself. The system has a stagnant future. AKA. it sucks. What's the point of owning a game console that isn't going to have awesome software support? When people insult the Wii or say it sucks it's because of it's lame, or lack thereof, game support.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Vinchenzo

I think we'd all like to talk about the grave Nintendo is digging. Realistically? They shit money. But yes their conference sucked. Despite Reggie acknowledging he "reads the blogs." He clearly does not understand.

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sunjammer
@RsistncE: I will happily buy a system to play exactly one game if that game is good enough. Happened with Ninja Gaiden and the Xbox for me previously; Every other game i bought for that system was just collateral damage. I've had some amazing gameplay moments with the Wii, my purchase is justified.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By JJOR64
@Lies said:
" Dude:

• Mario Galaxy 2
  • Golden Sun DS
  • Mario & Luigi 3
Five games right there, all with GREAT pedigree and all coming directly form Nintendo and partners. It wasn't a great conference, but don't say they gave you nothing. "
Lies is right.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RsistncE
@Sunjammer: Oh well I mean if that's good enough for you that's fine, that's your choice.

I'm just saying for the vast majority of people that isn't good enough. Not even close considering not many people have $250 bucks to throw away for a single game.
Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hairydutchman
@Lies said:
" Dude:

• Mario Galaxy 2
  • Golden Sun DS
  • Mario & Luigi 3
Five games right there, all with GREAT pedigree and all coming directly form Nintendo and partners. It wasn't a great conference, but don't say they gave you nothing. "
Indeed.
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By TheKidNixon

Here's the thing: Nintendo isn't meeting their "core" because the "core" already left them. Remember how the Playstation took over the mainstream mindset of the gaming population, despite the fact that Nintendo kept putting out interesting and original games for the Gamecube? They realized they were fighting a losing battle, so instead of trying to reach out to the already dedicated gaming populace that left them for greener pastures, they reached out to other audiences. And succeeded, more so than they ever have before.

I get so frustrated with the elitist attitude of so many traditional gamers towards Nintendo's mindset towards developing games for "everyone." I'm not saying that I want to play those games, but they're not for me. Things like The Other M and Super Mario Galaxy 2 (which yes is  return to an old template, but fuck if SMG wasn't amazing; I recently named it my favorite game of 2007, and can't wait to see what the sequel has to offer) give me what I want, and I'm curious to see how the Conduit turns out.

I'm not saying that Nintendo's press conference excited me too much. Even NSMB Wii didn't really do much for me (seems way to chaotic and unfocused). But I can't really see how the fact that Nintendo isn't devoting all their development time to you, or is trying to create different gaming experiences for different people. I just can't see how broadening the definition of "gaming" beyond the genres and expectations we have is a bad thing, especially when they are still giving us things like Other M, SMG2 and whatever the next project Retro is working on, which Reggie hinted at on G4.

Do you really want and expect gaming to stay a niche market?

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Meowayne
Lost_In_Gaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Lost_In_Gaming

I with you all the way Sunjammer.  Maybe it's cause we grew up and realised that Nintendo hasn't changed; we have.  When I look at the games on my 360 like Gears of War 2, Oblivion, Resident Evil 5, and Fable II and then look at the games I could play if I owned a Wii, I realise that I don't wanna play another game with 50+ minigames or another cooking sim.  I wanna play a game like when I picked up Windwaker for the first time.  I absolutely loved it.  Though, whether or not it was the greatest in the series is for a different thread.

Point is,  Nintendo has lost it's appeal in games for me.

I still have my original launch DS.  Maybe I will check out Golden Sun DS or something.
Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sunjammer
@TheKidNixon: I think the way i interpreted Nintendo's first "abandonment of the core" was that they would revamp the interface and make games more approachable. I did not, with that, assume that the actual game experiences would be watered down to the extent that they have been. Nintendo have given us some of the most twisted franchises out there, but at some point late in the GameCube cycle they simply gave up making new things. The new Nintendo is so focused on short term enjoyment. It's frustrating for me as a huge Nintendo fan to see them make such huge strides away from me, keeping me hooked with these nostalgic references to what they used to be.

It feels like such a bait and switch. I want to hang on to this company because they were my childhood. And they are turning it into this Apple corporate glossy... Bleh.. There is so much personality associated with the console now that the games aren't given room to prosper on it. A Wii game is a WII game.

What's going on right now is that, as with all other Nintendo advances, their competition is taking their tech and moving it forward. They're doing fine now but once that casual marketplace gets crowded, i'm not too certain they're going to come out on top.
JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24  Edited By JonathanMoore

Dude, besides Mario Galaxy 2, so weak.

-- God Bless.

xionpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xionpunk

hmmm... Metroid looked kinda cool, but other than that, the Nintendo conference was a little meh.  

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Warfare

Nintendo do not need the hardcore anymore.

Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Ross

The only redeeming quality of the Nintendo conference was Golden Sun DS.

Calidreth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#28  Edited By Calidreth

Every group is gonna have rehashes, that is how things work.  Yeah Nintendo went a little far with the gimmicks and useless attachments, but as far as games go they look alright.  New Super Mario Bros. Wii looks fun and co-op play is always good.  Super Mario Galaxy 2 will be excellent just like the first was and Metroid Other M blew me away.  You also have Conduit, Golden Sun DS, Mario and DK 3, Mario and Luigi RPG, and Zelda: Spirit Tracks.  Dunno about anyone else but I'm satisfied.  Could do without the continual shovel ware, but it sells so what can you do.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Meowayne
 I wanna play a game like when I picked up Windwaker for the first time.  I absolutely loved it.  Though, whether or not it was the greatest in the series is for a different thread.

It's your fault. Period. There are dozens over dozens of original games on the console. Pick up Little King's Story. Pick up De Blob. Pick up Anno. Pick up Swords&Soldiers. Your fault.
The Wii library is in no way inferior to the Snes, N64 or Gamecube.
The list of announcements is huge.

Stop wanting to be advertised on by Nintendo. They don't care about you anymore. But that's totally irrelevant at this point.
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By mikemcn

there are some good games coming, Grinders looks great

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By demonbear

Come on man, Team Ninja making a metroid game and you're not even curious about it?

Think about it man, Itigaki, that crazy mofo, making a metroid game!

CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CharlieTuna
@demonbear said:
" Come on man, Team Ninja making a metroid game and you're not even curious about it?Think about it man, Itigaki, that crazy mofo, making a metroid game! "
Except he's not making it. Dude left Team Ninja.
demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By demonbear

Dude you're right, but still, team Ninja is an interesting choice, cant wait to see that. This is the first game for the wii im really interested in.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#34  Edited By natetodamax

It's Nintendo, what were you expecting?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#35  Edited By AgentJ
@Meowayne said:
"
 I wanna play a game like when I picked up Windwaker for the first time.  I absolutely loved it.  Though, whether or not it was the greatest in the series is for a different thread.

It's your fault. Period. There are dozens over dozens of original games on the console. Pick up Little King's Story. Pick up De Blob. Pick up Anno. Pick up Swords&Soldiers. Your fault.
The Wii library is in no way inferior to the Snes, N64 or Gamecube.
The list of announcements is huge.

Stop wanting to be advertised on by Nintendo. They don't care about you anymore. But that's totally irrelevant at this point.
"
Woah, dont take this too far now. It isn't even close the SNES, and it'll take quite a lot of quality to match the Cube. 
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheKidNixon

Often forgotten fact: both the NES and SNES have a library LOADED with crap.

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ShadowKiller

Yeah I'm pretty pissed at myself for picking up a Wii when the only game I'm interested in is the new Metroid. I'm hoping that something good will come out to make me wipe off the dust that has been collecting there for months.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Golden Sun DS made everything else not even matter.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BigBoss1911

They showed off two game im even remotely interested in,Metroid M and Mario Galaxy 2.While Sony and Microsoft's conferences were full of good games.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Meowayne

AgentJ, I recently loaded the entire SNES library onto my Wii to go through again. The SNES is CROWDED with crap, 90% of the games are bad sports games and movie adaptions. The number of great games on the Wii is higher than what the SNES had after two years and higher than what the N64 and Gamecube ever had.

The Wii is getting a lot of bad reputation which is reinforced by some new crappy game now and then, but in the end, it is absolutely unjustified. People got a certain opinion about the console in 07, which was justifiable then, and now just continue to look for signs that reinforce that opinion, totally shutting out everything else.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41  Edited By Luke

Whoa dude, nice Blog Post. 

However, while this definitely still isn't the NES/SNES days anymore, I still feel like there's some really gewd stuff coming-out that was not shown at Nintendo's E3 2009 Conference... like Arc Rise, Monster Hunter G, Zelda: ST, Fragile, and Muramasa; along with what others have posted.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Meowayne

You just restored my faith in humanity, Luke.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Nasar7
@Sunjammer: Dude I feel the exact same way. Check out the blog I wrote pre-conference. After it was over, I simply didn't have the energy to write up my thoughts to it. It was so much bullshit, the only thing I'm remotely interested in is the new Metroid, but that alone can't save such a terrible experience. It makes me feel like such an idiot for loyally supporting nintendo through the N64 and Gamecube. What a crock.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#44  Edited By AgentJ
@Meowayne said:
" AgentJ, I recently loaded the entire SNES library onto my Wii to go through again. The SNES is CROWDED with crap, 90% of the games are bad sports games and movie adaptions. The number of great games on the Wii is higher than what the SNES had after two years and higher than what the N64 and Gamecube ever had. The Wii is getting a lot of bad reputation which is reinforced by some new crappy game now and then, but in the end, it is absolutely unjustified. People got a certain opinion about the console in 07, which was justifiable then, and now just continue to look for signs that reinforce that opinion, totally shutting out everything else. "
Its true there was a lot of crap, but the lineup for the SNES was just about untouchable. Those of us who don't get distracted by shiny things know that the Wii has a great lineup, but when comparing it to something like the SNES, PS2, or DS, lits tough to compare. 
Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sunjammer
@AgentJ: You can't realistically compare the SNES library to the Wii simply because the SNES library was larger with more brevity. Nobody is saying the SNES didn't have shovelware, but the shit to quality ratio in general was at least moderately balanced.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Al3xand3r

No, it wasn't, people just knew to ignore that shit instead of highlight it at every opportunity just to go lol, hence most gamers never saw it. Anyway, the industry was certainly smaller at the time, a better comparison is more recent systems like the original PlayStation and its successor, both leading their respective generations in sales and volume of titles, both being infested with an immense amount of shovelware, yet that never really tainted their reputation as people focused on the good stuff alone, and you only ever saw the bad titles on some magazine's joke page about the "month's dud" that was simply attacking the given game, perhaps its developer, but never the system it was on (unless Saturn/DC).

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Meowayne
@Sunjammer said:
" @AgentJ: You can't realistically compare the SNES library to the Wii simply because the SNES library was larger with more brevity. Nobody is saying the SNES didn't have shovelware, but the shit to quality ratio in general was at least moderately balanced. "
it definatly wasn't. Look up the SNES library.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

The Ninty conference actually went beyond my expectations.  I quite literally expected nothing.

Hey, as far as Ninty's goes, in comparison to Sony's when talking about pure announcements, it wasn't  that bad (metroid, new mario, new overpriced mario versus unshown agent, karts, final fantasy 14 mmo)

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By zityz

Mario Galaxy 2, Metriod other M, No more heros 2, The conduit, Golden Sun DS, Kindom Hearts, Final Fantasy: The Crystal Bearers,Wii Sports Resort. ( for the motion plus) and the fact I can now enjoy a golf game with that thing.

Yea Nintendo has NOTHING. Those god damn mother fuckers.

Edit: Forgot about NEW Supoer Mario Brothers:Wii, Mario Vs Donkey Kong and Mario& Luigi. Not like it matters *QUE THE EYE ROLL*