• 85 results
#1 Posted by jakob187 (21640 posts) -

I didn't see a previous forum topic anywhere on this, and I used the search but...it never seems to work.

Anyways, the trailer from Comic-Con popped up on the YouTubes, but copyright claims have taken them down left and right. However, someone has it uploaded onto Vimeo, so check it out while it's still available!

What do you guys think? As someone who grew up loving Godzilla movies (to the point that I had an unhealthy obsession with Kaiju films as well as Kaiju toys as an adolescent), I don't know how to feel about this trailer.

On the one hand, it's cool to see someone bringing it back to the tone of the original Gojira, trying to take the material as seriously as possible.

On the other hand, that's not the majority of Godzilla that I know. Part of the reason we love Godzilla is because he gets to wreck the shit out of things, and eventually, Kaiju movies featuring Godzilla became more about these ultimate power matches against other creatures. It's one of the things that my inner child wants to see on-screen. However, how does one take pure bliss in the destruction on-screen when...ya know, there's a massive amount of dead people laying around like they are in this trailer?

It's a bit of a conundrum for my brain. Nonetheless, the film is directed by Gareth Edwards (Monsters) and stars Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) and Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Kick-Ass). It comes out in seven months.

#2 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Awesome!

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

They went back to its original design!

#4 Edited by Monkeyman04 (998 posts) -

Can't wait!

#5 Posted by Sinusoidal (1260 posts) -

I hope it's not as plodding and boring as "Monsters" was.

#6 Posted by TruthTellah (8401 posts) -

It really gave me goosebumps. I love that at one point you can see ships and buildings just sitting on his tail, as though he has dragged up debris from his path of destruction.

Considering hints that this is almost a reimagining of the original, I look forward to a more brutal, darker Godzilla movie. If we can have ten minutes of Tokyo just burning to the ground as someone describes the death and destruction like in the original, it would be amazing. I'm not sure that's possible for a director to get away with today, but I think a despairing movie of destructive spectacle and commentary on natural disasters and war could be fantastic.

I love hokey Godzilla, as well, but a serious, plodding Godzilla would just be so surprising and delightful in today's modern movie environment. The director of Monsters could pull it off.

#7 Posted by TheHT (10795 posts) -

Hah! 2001 music.

I dunno, that looked alright. But will there be a great song with it?

#8 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

It really gave me goosebumps. I love that at one point you can see ships and buildings just sitting on his tail, as though he has dragged up debris from his path of destruction.

Considering hints that this is almost a reimagining of the original, I look forward to a more brutal, darker Godzilla movie. If we can have ten minutes of Tokyo just burning to the ground as someone describes the death and destruction like in the original, it would be amazing. I'm not sure that's possible for a director to get away with today, but I think a despairing movie of destructive spectacle and commentary on natural disasters and war could be fantastic.

I love hokey Godzilla, as well, but a serious, plodding Godzilla would just be so surprising and delightful in today's modern movie environment. The director of Monsters could pull it off.

What if they flip it and hes only here to defend us?

#9 Posted by csl316 (7961 posts) -

I'm up for a gritty Godzilla. I got Pacific Rim for my over-the-top craziness now.

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (35797 posts) -

Man, that was a damn good trailer. Really liked the focus on the destruction to the city.

#11 Posted by TruthTellah (8401 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

Then the thousands or millions of people that he killed in the process might cause an issue.

Though, I'm guessing they may go with the original premise of him destroying things but people slowly realizing that it's a monster they have created. In that way, Godzilla is more of a symbol than a simple threat in a run-of-the-mill monster movie.

#12 Posted by Grixxel (762 posts) -

Looks like it could be pretty gooooood.

#13 Edited by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

That was super menacing and I loved it. Seeing a serious, mean-ass, gritty Godzilla film would make me pretty happy, provided they strike the right tone. I mean, it is still about a giant lizard monster stomping on stuff.

#14 Posted by MB (11878 posts) -

If you guys have never seen this...to tie it all in:

#15 Posted by DukesT3 (1888 posts) -

Really good trailer. Godzilla ain't no muthafuckin joke homie!

#16 Edited by TruthTellah (8401 posts) -

You've come a long way, Godzilla.

Though, like in the original movie, I hope they just have straight hopeless destruction for some twenty minutes of the film. Perhaps with music and narration like this clip from the first one. Spoilers for the original english Godzilla film, but if they can strike a similar tone but with newer technology and better acting, I think it could be something special. It's just a kind of lingering destruction and suffering you don't often see outside of some war and post-apocalyptic movies. Some of the screams heard in this scene still stick with me.

#17 Edited by Turambar (6637 posts) -

@mb said:

If you guys have never seen this...to tie it all in:

To give everyone some more context, that's Robert Oppenheimer, upon seeing the first atomic bomb test, a weapon he helped create. It's a nice connector to the anti-nuclear weapons sentiments of the original Godzilla movie.

#18 Posted by kalnet101 (89 posts) -

Not gonna lie, I'm excited about it! I wonder who was that multiple armed monster..

#19 Edited by Disaya (279 posts) -

As much as I love big ol' monster movies, Godzilla has never really been my thing. But that looked really amazing, it would be cool to see a more gritty or serious Godzilla.

#20 Edited by MEATBALL (3013 posts) -

That was fucking awesome.

#21 Posted by MB (11878 posts) -

Yes but...will Godzilla have an updated victory dance??

#22 Edited by TruthTellah (8401 posts) -

@mb said:

Yes but...will Godzilla have an updated victory dance??

Pshh. Those moves are timeless.

http://joshblackman.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/2-godzilla-funny.gif

Godzilla will dance however he dang well pleases.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/8ea823e5d57fb51d02c755b2f959dc9c/tumblr_mi6vbkd5og1qbcq3wo1_500.gif

#23 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2283 posts) -

I've been drooling for this since Comic Con.

@truthtellah The bottom one... what in the.... No fuck it. I don't want to know.

#24 Edited by Raethen (180 posts) -

If the full film keeps the tone of that teaser I am fully in. It would be amazing for a Kaiju film get back to the roots but with a modern sensibility. Pacific Rim captured the more ridiculous tones of later Kaiju films quite well in my view, but this teaser hits a tone of real devastation that is only matched by the horrors of nuclear war, just as the original Gojira was attempting when it was made and released. I cannot wait to see this now.

I also need to seek out Monsters as well now. I want to see the film that set the director down this path.

#25 Edited by Itwongo (1099 posts) -

YEEEEES! Oh how did I almost miss this today.... Godzilla made up part of my childhood way back when. I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting for this!

@the_laughing_man said:
@truthtellah said:

Then the thousands or millions of people that he killed in the process might cause an issue.

Though, I'm guessing they may go with the original premise of him destroying things but people slowly realizing that it's a monster they have created. In that way, Godzilla is more of a symbol than a simple threat in a run-of-the-mill monster movie.

The director's said they intend the movie to be all about Godzilla smashing the hell out of humanity and whatever other monsters get in its way, similar to the original 1954 film. Unless they've changed that, you'll get your serious Godzilla.

#26 Posted by Hailinel (23674 posts) -

It's good that they're trying to make a serious film, like the original Gojira was. I just worry that Hollywood will fuck up their understanding of the creature and the themes behind it. But hopefully it's at least better than that Roland Emmerich atrocity.

#27 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

GOOSEBUMPS.

And man, I will never get tired of Godzilla's roar. So, so good.

#28 Posted by Hunter5024 (5505 posts) -

ごじら!

I didn't even know they were making this. Pretty cool.

#29 Posted by TruthTellah (8401 posts) -

@hailinel said:

It's good that they're trying to make a serious film, like the original Gojira was. I just worry that Hollywood will fuck up their understanding of the creature and the themes behind it. But hopefully it's at least better than that Roland Emmerich atrocity.

I worry about producers not understanding him that much, as well, but I do think the director Gareth Edwards understands the pressures to get Godzilla right. As he said when he started filming:

“I guess I will say I’m highly aware – and everyone involved is incredibly aware – of everyone’s opinions on what this film has to do and what it has to be. And no one will do anything but the right thing. Without addressing anything specific, everyone knows how important it is to get it right.”

#30 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11414 posts) -

Well, now I want to see that movie. Good job trailer.

#31 Edited by Raethen (180 posts) -

@mariachimacabre: It is such an amazing example of sound design. I'm so glad it's back. I don't remember if it was used in the last remake because all I can remember was Mathew Broderick, the Puff Daddy video above, and baby godzilas and roller blades from the cartoon (this may be something from my imagination though... if so I have something to draw). That roar though is chill inducing in this trailer either way.

#32 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

@hailinel said:

I worry about producers not understanding him that much, as well, but I do think the director Gareth Edwards understands the pressures to get Godzilla right. As he said when he started filming:

“I guess I will say I’m highly aware – and everyone involved is incredibly aware – of everyone’s opinions on what this film has to do and what it has to be. And no one will do anything but the right thing. Without addressing anything specific, everyone knows how important it is to get it right.”

I remember reading that Toho, the company behind Gojira, is much more involved in this film than in the last one, so I'm confident they won't mess it up. These are the same people who bought the rights to the '98 Godzilla (whom they renamed Zilla) just so they could kill it, allegedly. I don't know if they'd sign off on a film they didn't think was true to the original.

#33 Edited by TruthTellah (8401 posts) -

@mariachimacabre said:

@truthtellah said:

@hailinel said:

I remember reading that Toho, the company behind Gojira, is much more involved in this film than in the last one, so I'm confident they won't mess it up. These are the same people who bought the rights to the '98 Godzilla (whom they renamed Zilla) just so they could kill it, allegedly. I don't know if they'd sign off on a film they didn't think was true to the original.

Exactly. And while he gave some hints that it was returning to the early Godzilla, it wasn't completely clear whether that meant the "Gojira" original or the more "fight monster of the week" Godzilla. I wasn't sure how it was going to go, but this trailer makes a decent case for the Gojira original. Plus some of the production shots suggesting some analogs to the original film, but we'll see how it really turns out. The first full trailer will likely tell the tale.

I'd love the first trailer to just be someone on the radio describing the destruction. It'd get the point across.

#34 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@truthtellah said:

@hailinel said:

Exactly. And while he gave some hints that it was returning to the early Godzilla, it wasn't completely clear whether that meant the "Gojira" original or the more "fight monster of the week" Godzilla. I wasn't sure how it was going to go, but this trailer makes a decent case for the Gojira original. Plus some of the production shots suggesting analogs to the original film, but we'll see.

If Godzilla goes down that path, I'd be happy. I'd be happy either way but Pacific Rim has me covered in the Fight Monster Of The Week category.

#35 Posted by TruthTellah (8401 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@truthtellah said:

@hailinel said:

Exactly. And while he gave some hints that it was returning to the early Godzilla, it wasn't completely clear whether that meant the "Gojira" original or the more "fight monster of the week" Godzilla. I wasn't sure how it was going to go, but this trailer makes a decent case for the Gojira original. Plus some of the production shots suggesting analogs to the original film, but we'll see.

If Godzilla goes down that path, I'd be happy. I'd be happy either way but Pacific Rim has me covered in the Fight Monster Of The Week category.

I'm all for Pacific Rim doing its thing and Godzilla doing its own.

Until 2016's Pacific Rim vs Godzilla collaboration, of course.

#36 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

@mariachimacabre said:

@truthtellah said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@truthtellah said:

@hailinel said:

I'm all for Pacific Rim doing its thing and Godzilla doing its own.

Until 2016's Pacific Rim vs Godzilla collaboration, of course.

Guillermo Del Toro has expressed great enthusiasm for such a thing, actually. Because he's the best. He clearly knows what his fans want because he's a passionate fan of all the same things.

Be right back, watching Pan's Labyrinth again...

#37 Posted by madcapmax (1 posts) -

All I can say is I am freaking pumped for this movie... finally, someone is doing how it should be done... In my opinion it is going to be a combination of the "Gojira" Godzilla, with a dash of the "fighting" Godzilla... (that way you appease both camps, those who want to see a serious tone, and those that want to see two big giant monsters duke it out). I'm confident that this will be awesome. I will absolutely be going to see the midnight showing when it comes out... The Godzilla universe owes me for convincing my dad to take me and a friend to the 1998 midnight showing... and seeing how that turned out... I think it is going to be awesome!

#38 Posted by awesomeusername (4152 posts) -

That was great, but this is what sold me:

the film is directed by Gareth Edwards (Monsters) and stars Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) and Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Kick-Ass)

#39 Edited by Garfield518 (403 posts) -

So is this Kaiju-stomping Godzilla, city-stomping Godzilla, or a mixture of both?

Because I can clearly see a multi-legged monster at :43.

#40 Posted by Ennosuke (59 posts) -

I love it that they try to make him look more like the original Godzilla. I really hate how Godzilla from the movie in 98 looked like.

In general I found with Pacific Rim my passion for Kaiju movies again, so I am really looking forward to this movie.

#41 Posted by Dethfish (3618 posts) -

Hold on a second, this isn't a sequel to the Roland Emmerich film? Well forget it then.

Well then hopefully this is just the long awaited sequel to Godzilla 2000

#42 Posted by Tyrrael (139 posts) -

As promising as this trailer makes it look, it's still going to take a miracle for this not to get screwed up.

#43 Edited by Abendlaender (2733 posts) -

Awww...they did such a good job NOT showing Godzilla till the end. Don't do that. You shouldn't do that. Looks like a movie I'd watch though.

Also, I liked Emmerich's Godzilla for what it was. You may now start killing me.

#44 Edited by Morningstar (2125 posts) -

I like the trailer. I've no prior interest in Godzilla movies though. Maybe this will be my first.

#45 Posted by Carlos1408 (1489 posts) -

GOJIRA!!!

I thought it looked quite cool, I like the tone and atmosphere. Also it's pretty awesome how they've gone back to the old school design. :D

#46 Edited by Kung_Fu_Cheesus (10 posts) -

So at about 45 seconds in they start talking about the multiple arms of Vishnu while they are showing a giant creature with multiple arms. Does this mean Godzilla will be fighting other monsters? Because that isn't in line with the original movie but man it would be kind of crazy.

#47 Posted by ZagZagovich (753 posts) -

This might turn out to be really terrible and joyless but I'm gonna give it a chance.

#48 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2205 posts) -

As a huge Godzilla fan when I was younger I've got to at least see this.

#49 Edited by yoshisaur (2606 posts) -

The amount of cynicism in this thread is actually kind of discouraging. Fantastic trailer, though.

#50 Edited by believer258 (11557 posts) -

That was extremely effective, at least for me. Actually kind of scary, and not in fun jump scares sort of way.