GOG DRM-Free holiday sale

crowed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By crowed

GOG it´s running a holiday sale, today they have the witcher 2 with a 75% discount among other games i think it´s a good opportunity to grab some good games and as always DRM-free

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Shaka999

It's times like this when I wish I had a good PC.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jking47

@Shaka999: A lot of the games you can get on GOG will not require a good PC, since it has a lot of older stuff. I would check it out and see what you can run!

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By crusader8463

@Shaka999 said:

It's GOG though. That means old games. So unless your PC just upgraded from DOS to Windows 3.1 you will be fine with just about anything on that site.

crowed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By crowed

the give duke nukem 3d for free, and have lots of god old games, you don´t need a very powerful pc for most of them

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

@Shaka999: Any computer made since 2000 can run FTL, Hotline Miami, and almost everything else on that site.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@crusader8463 said:

@Shaka999 said:

It's GOG though. That means old games. So unless your PC just upgraded from DOS to Windows 3.1 you will be fine with just about anything on that site.

DOS would probably run half of the shit on GOG better.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Winternet
BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BSw

Getting the two Edna & Harvey games. Those games look so weird, I really want to try them. And maybe the first Worms, since I had so much fun with that game when I was a kid.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wampa1

@Winternet: So your scratching the puzzle solving adventure game itch? I'm tempted to try FTL, it just looks way to complex for me. But all the great word of mouth makes it tempting.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11  Edited By granderojo

Gog has the same problem that steam has that their catalog isn't large enough for me to impulse buy...sadly.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Winternet

@Wampa1: It's more that I'd like to own those games than actually want to play them. Yeah, it may be stupid, but I like owning things (even if its digitally). Except In Cold Blood, that I never played before and I love Revolution Software games, so I'm excited to try it.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oraknabo

Yesterday they were selling a huge group of Bullfrog games for like $11.50, but I already own 2 Populous games, Theme Hospital, Dungeon Keeper and Syndicate so I didn't get it, but it was a geat deal. There are a LOT of great games for $2.99. I got Startopia, Jagged Alliance and a free copy of Duke Nukem 3D yesterday.

All of these are $2.99:

STARTOPIA
ARCANUM: OF STEAMWORKS AND MAGICK OBSCURA
JAGGED ALLIANCE
LITTLE BIG ADVENTURE (RELENTLESS: TWINSEN'S ADVENTURE)
HITMAN: CODENAME 47
POPULOUS™: THE BEGINNING
COMMANDOS AMMO PACK
POPULOUS™ 2: TRIALS OF THE OLYMPIAN GODS
DUNGEON KEEPER™ 2
ULTIMA™ 7 THE COMPLETE EDITION
THEME HOSPITAL
SYNDICATE™
MAGIC CARPET™
ULTIMA® UNDERWORLD 1+2
ANACHRONOX

These are $4.99:

ANOTHER WORLD: 15TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION
JAGGED ALLIANCE 2
ARX FATALIS
THIEF™ 2: THE METAL AGE

EVIL GENIUS

FALLOUT 2

SACRIFICE
FALLOUT
PLANESCAPE: TORMENT
THIEF™ GOLD
Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wampa1

@Winternet: Nah I'm the same, In Cold Blood is really good not quite as good as Beneath a Steel Sky (which is free on GOG)

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By happenstance

Bought myself copies of Theme Hospital and Wing Commander 3 and 4 along with the free copy of Duke Nukem 3D. Might try and track down a few more cheesy FMV games before it ends.

crowed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By crowed

the first witcher it´s 2' 49 too, if i didn´t already own it i would buy it again, and i suposse the thief games will appear one of these days

edit thief 2 it´s right now 4´99 add to the mix the patch that appeared months ago and you have and almost irresistible temptation

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oraknabo

@crowed: Yeah, both Thief games are on the $4.99 part of my list up there.

Nearly every game I've bought on GOG is at the lowest price they have ever had it at right now.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By awesomeusername

FTL is $5?! I want to try it but I know I'll probably get destroyed playing that. @Wampa1: Same thing with me. I'm only interested because the good rep it's been getting.

Fuck it. I'll get that, Machinarium and Botanicula.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By oraknabo

It's weird how crazy people go here for Steam sales and the few mentions of a GOG sale this big get lost in the forum pretty fast.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By AuthenticM

Man, their sale is great. I've bought games on the daily deals for the three days it has been going. I just bought Legend of Grimrock and Torchlight for just over 7$.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Branthog

Even though I already owned 400 games on GOG of their 493 game catalog, I still managed to buy 21 games yesterday (and another one today), taking me up to about 420 of their 493 games. Of course, I also own some of them on Steam. For instance, how could I not want to buy a DRM-free, non-Steam copy of Legend of Grimrock for only $3.74?

I dislike having yet another store to have to deal with, but I do often buy stuff (even a second time) over on GOG, just in the hopes that someday I'll have a ton of cool games to play if I'm ever stranded somewhere with just a shitty laptop and a ton of time to waste. It's sort of my "when shit hits the fan and I'm unemployed and nearly homeless, or retired and bored, or passing time after nuclear war destroys everything" stash.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Branthog

@crusader8463 said:

@Shaka999 said:

Actually, Windows 3.1 is just an executable that launches from DOS and runs as a window manager, so even with Windows 3.1, you'll be fine. :)

I don't recall when DOS was stripped from the OS (or, rather, became something you launched from within the OS instead of being the OS that windows launches from). I want to say it was Windows XP, as Windows 95 (and 98, most likely) were still just window managers that ran out of DOS, in some way.

And that was my completely meaningless contribution for December 14th, 2012.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By BBAlpert

Something I learned yesterday: Myst was a hell of a lot harder when I was 6 years old.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By donkeycow

Everyone who hasn't played the Witcher, go get it now! It's criminal to sell a game that good for $2.49.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#25  Edited By strangeling
@AuthenticM: I already have Torchlight, but just picked up Legend of Grimrock too: $3.74! 

I resisted the Steam sale pretty easily this year, but GOG's... There goes my money. Yesterday, I bought the Witcher 2 ($7.49), and ArmA II: Combined Operations ($14.99). And FTL was only $5, but I'd grabbed it the week before when it was on sale for a dollar more. 

They're having new deals EVERY DAY, and the sale goes to January 3rd! More people should be excited about this. 
Hotline Miami isn't on sale, but I'm sure it'll show up as a daily since it was recently $5 on Steam, and when it does, it will be mine!
FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#26  Edited By FakeKisser

I'll probably spend a good deal of money on this sale, but I already own most of the games on GOG that I want. So, I probably can't spend more than $50, even if I cleared out my entire GOG wishlist. :P

I'm a huge fan of GOG. If a game is on both GOG and Steam, I will buy it from GOG, even if it costs a bit more.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NegativeCero

I just picked up Star Control 1 and 2, Master of Orion 1 and 2, and two Tex Murphy games. I'm a few hours in SC2 and I can already tell I'm going to play it obsessively.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Meltac

Just bought Resonance and The Blackwell Bundle. I already have the first three games in the Blackwell series, but it was still cheaper to get the whole bundle from GoG, than buying only the fourth game from Steam. Oh, and I also bought Primordia, it wasn't part of the sale but still cheaper than buying it from Steam.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Chummy8

@Happenstance: Make sure you get Crusader.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Branthog

@strangeling said:

@AuthenticM: I already have Torchlight, but just picked up Legend of Grimrock too: $3.74! I resisted the Steam sale pretty easily this year, but GOG's... There goes my money. Yesterday, I bought the Witcher 2 ($7.49), and ArmA II: Combined Operations ($14.99). And FTL was only $5, but I'd grabbed it the week before when it was on sale for a dollar more. They're having new deals EVERY DAY, and the sale goes to January 3rd! More people should be excited about this. Hotline Miami isn't on sale, but I'm sure it'll show up as a daily since it was recently $5 on Steam, and when it does, it will be mine!

Correction: You resisted the THANKSGIVING Steam sale, this year.

The holiday-sale is still to come.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#31  Edited By strangeling
@Branthog:  
Oh...  
oh, no...
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Branthog

@strangeling said:

@Branthog: Oh... oh, no...

It's expected to start on Thursday, the 20th: http://www.slashgear.com/steam-autumn-and-winter-sale-dates-leak-out-20257829/

If you count the games I bought for myself, my friends, my brother, and the Gerstmas 2012 giveaway, last year . . . . I spent way too much. Seriously, I think I might have spent $2,000 on Steam during those two weeks. I felt really bad about it, afterward. I doubt there's that many new things to buy this year, though. I hope. For fuck's sake, I hope . . . .

arch4non

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By arch4non

I bought The Witcher and The Witcher 2 despite having already pirated TW2 before. I plan on playing all the way through TW and importing my save into TW2.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#34  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Oh hey. Inquisitor is on sale. Now you can play the game that I called "A bad imitation of all of those games that I like, but at least it has an interesting tone" for less than the price of a meal!

crowed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By crowed

@oraknabo: i saw it later, when i wrote the post my daughter was literally jumping over me

mcmax3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#36  Edited By mcmax3000

Thanks for mentioning this. I just checked it out, and grabbed the original Rollercoaster Tycoon, which I had been looking at on their site a little while ago, because that still gets a lot of play in our house, and I was having trouble finding one of the discs for it (found it eventually, but would still rather have a digital copy as a backup).

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Zuldim

@BBAlpert said:

Something I learned yesterday: Myst was a hell of a lot harder when I was 6 years old.

Which is why I don't think I'll ever go back. My memories of playing that game and Riven with my dad when I was like 5? Priceless. Don't want to go back.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By oraknabo

If I didn't already own them, there is no way I would pass up today's deal-

All this under $14:

ANACHRONOX

DEUS EX™ GOTY EDITION

DEUS EX 2: INVISIBLE WAR

THIEF™ GOLD

THIEF™ 3: DEADLY SHADOWS

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By audiosnow

I bought everything that looked interesting.

Then I said, "Wait, what where all of those random PC games that Dave played?"

I now own Crusader: No Remorse, and after a bit of work and a mod Outcast is running in bordered 16-10 fullscreen.

Unfortunately, they don't carry Ripper.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BSw

Picked up The Real Texas yesterday for $3.74. What a great, weird, charming, quirky game.

akeripper4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By akeripper4

oh and a few ea games finally get their expansions...... hello alpha centauri

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MikkaQ

Yeah I went crazy and bought FTL, Crusader: No Remorse, Anachronox and Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos.

I'm pretty excited to try Anachronox, that game looks wild.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HerbieBug

I love GOG. It's really nice to have a legitimate place on the net to download older games. They have a good selection of current smaller titles as well. ♥

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HerbieBug

@oraknabo said:

If I didn't already own them, there is no way I would pass up today's deal-

All this under $14:

ANACHRONOX

DEUS EX™ GOTY EDITION

DEUS EX 2: INVISIBLE WAR

THIEF™ GOLD

THIEF™ 3: DEADLY SHADOWS

NICE! I might get on a couple of those Thief games as well. I know I have played a couple of them but don't remember which ones.