GoG has started selling movies

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So like the title says GoG has just started selling a bunch of indie movies & from an article on Kotaku it sounds like they've been talking with studios about selling mainstream movies & tv shows.

If this actually catches on, which knowing how backward the movie/tv industry is in terms of online content might not be soon, I may actually start building up a digital library especially with the inevitable sales.

So the real question is, if this takes off what is the price point where people stop pirating movies & shows & start buying them, I figure $5 for a new movie, $1 per new episode is really about the price they need to be at.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

All of them right now are indie documentaries about the internet or videogames which I've either seen or have no interest in seeing.

Still a rad idea though and if they can get major companies on board it will be the only way I buy movies.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They say they'll be offering film classics. That certainly isn't the case yet and if they manage to get anything from niche-publishers like Criterion, Mr. Bongo, Blue Underground, BFI, Arrow and the likes, I will literally bite my fist and buy everything they give me. But I have zero faith in that ever happening.

Well, Criterion might happen. They are on Hulu plus.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Doesn't Amazon have purchased streaming movie content pretty much locked down? You don't want to compete with Amazon.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Eek, this new version of GOG frightens me. Change is scary :|

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Not exactly what I want out of a site that once called itself "Good Old Games", but I guess it isn't hurting anything.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Corevi
@veektarius said:

Doesn't Amazon have purchased streaming movie content pretty much locked down? You don't want to compete with Amazon.

It doesn't stream. It gives you a download of a DRM-free video file.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Not exactly what I want out of a site that once called itself "Good Old Games", but I guess it isn't hurting anything.

Yep. It's lucky that "Gog" isn't an acronym anymore.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That title was meaningless the second they started selling brand new games/taking pre orders for games. Its not just Good Old Games anymore

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#10  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@somedelicook: Yep, and when they started selling modern indie stuff they just became GOG. Doesn't change that obscure RPGs from the 90s are my go-to thing to get from that site.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the quality any good? One thing I hate about current DD movies is that the quality is piss poor considering how much bandwidth I have to play with. I can watch game footage in higher bitrates than most digital video services.

Honestly though I expect the selection will be kind of pointlessly lacking and this seems like a waste of money and effort on their part. This is in no way appealing to me unless I can get blu-ray quality, surround sound versions of recent titles.

Nothing happens for free. This took money and development time.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Corevi
@jarmahead said:

Is the quality any good? One thing I hate about current DD movies is that the quality is piss poor considering how much bandwidth I have to play with. I can watch game footage in higher bitrates than most digital video services.

Honestly though I expect the selection will be kind of pointlessly lacking and this seems like a waste of money and effort on their part. This is in no way appealing to me unless I can get blu-ray quality, surround sound versions of recent titles.

They don't have any streaming component, you download the entire thing (2.9 GB for a 68 minute video at 1080p) and then you watch it. EDIT: They do have streaming but you can also just download it.

It is Bluray quality though

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#13 fisk0  Moderator

All of them right now are indie documentaries about the internet or videogames which I've either seen or have no interest in seeing.

Still a rad idea though and if they can get major companies on board it will be the only way I buy movies.

They say they'll be offering film classics. That certainly isn't the case yet and if they manage to get anything from niche-publishers like Criterion, Mr. Bongo, Blue Underground, BFI, Arrow and the likes, I will literally bite my fist and buy everything they give me. But I have zero faith in that ever happening.

Well, Criterion might happen. They are on Hulu plus.

Pretty much this.

There's one thing that worries me though - the release pace has been incredibly slow all year, especially for classics, which used to be GOG's core thing. They keep getting indies a few weeks after the Steam releases, but in terms of preserving video game history, which is what I joined GOG for, not much has happened - and along with this announcement they also said they'll be removing 35 games from their catalog, including the Red Faction games which were just released on GOG earlier this year, as wel as the infamous Jack Keane 2. 35 games is quite a lot, I'm pretty sure that's more than the total sum of games - including the indies - that have been released on GOG this year. They've had several long periods of zero releases this year, including the two week-long insomnia sales.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By EuanDewar

Sure! Why not. If they manage to work the movies into those great sales they do sometimes that could be rad.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:

There's one thing that worries me though - the release pace has been incredibly slow all year, especially for classics, which used to be GOG's core thing. They keep getting indies a few weeks after the Steam releases, but in terms of preserving video game history, which is what I joined GOG for, not much has happened - and along with this announcement they also said they'll be removing 35 games from their catalog, including the Red Faction games which were just released on GOG earlier this year, as wel as the infamous Jack Keane 2. 35 games is quite a lot, I'm pretty sure that's more than the total sum of games - including the indies - that have been released on GOG this year. They've had several long periods of zero releases this year, including the two week-long insomnia sales.

I think they hit the limit on good old games from companies that they have deals with.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#16 fisk0  Moderator

I think they hit the limit on good old games from companies that they have deals with.

They certainly haven't gotten everything they could out of the Horrorsoft, Eidos/Square Enix, Activision and Electronic Arts catalogs. Though I guess further EA releases may not happen now when they've started selling some classics on Origin. Tommo also acquired a whole bunch of games a couple of years ago, including a lot of Microprose titles, and have only released a small portion of that on GOG so far.