Going back to old favorites

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By benspyda

Sometimes going back and playing old games you own can be hit or miss. I recently went back and tried to play Oblivion and despite being one of my favorite games of all time I found it really hard to play in a post Skyrim world.

However I also went back and installed Dawn of War: Dark Crusade and that game still looks and plays amazingly. It is still probably my favorite RTS to date and still holds up really well. Just building a up a massive army of space marines and marching them around the map is epic.

I find games from the snes/genesis era hold up really well to compared to old polygon stuff that is really hard to look at. That Ripper quicklook made me realize how awful those 3d maze style games were despite thinking they were pretty cool at the time.

So what game have you gone back to and just didn't enjoy as much and what have you gone back to and loved just as much or better?

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WMWA

I know it's cookie cutter, but Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island are even better to me today.
On the other end of the spectrum, playing through Fable 2 for the first time and my god, that game has aged horribly, apparently. The controls make it hard for me to make it through.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Deranged

I went back and played Battlefront 2. I still enjoyed it but you can see where the faults were.

I also went back and played Conker: Live and Reloaded and the campaign is just as epic as I remembered. The multiplayer leaves a lot to be desired.

MostlyBearded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MostlyBearded

Age of Empires II continues to keep me hooked when I fire it up.

Devil May Cry 3 always scratches my PS2 nostalgia itch.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I sometimes revisit old NES or PC games. Most recently Ninja Gaiden and Return to Zork. Ninja Gaiden is still cheap deaths and requires rote memorization but I still love the music.

Return to Zork is cheesier than I remember but fun in its own way.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By benspyda

I just bought the MGS HD collection, I hope MGS 3 is as awesome as I thought it was when I first played it. Never found MGS2 that great anyway so be interesting to see how that holds up too.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Diablo 2 is my go-to game, but I used to played Oblivion every few months or so before Skyrim came out.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By weegieanawrench

Every now and then, I go back to Adventure Island II. It still holds up as a platformer, but it's pretty simple.

Lately I've been on a nostalgia kick, I bought Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2 from GOG. Those games still hold up really well and are still hella fun to play. Also, Mega Man Xtreme 2 for the Gameboy Colour, love that game.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By CJduke
@benspyda: Dark Crusade is awesome. Floating, pyramids of death!
Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Cloudenvy

Tomba for PS1 is still dope as hell.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Wemibelle

If I've played it, I can usually go back to it in some manner. The hard thing is trying to go back to older games I missed but really want to play. Baldur's Gate 2, for example, is really hard for me to get into because of it having such an antiquated interface.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Dagbiker

Balder's Gate 2 is kinda hard to play, only because in this world with so much voice work you just want to skip over it because it takes so long, but you have to stop your self because this is what you payed for.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By buzz_clik
benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By benspyda

I have never played Baldurs Gate 2 myself, I think my first Bioware game was KOTR, it does look like a game that would be hard to get into now but I'm sure if you do it will be rewarding.

w00ties

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By w00ties

Metal Gear Solid 1 - I love this game just as much as I used to, if not more. The game mechanics and the story are more familiar to me now which sort of kills the buzz. On the other hand though, I've matured since my first playthrough which has allowed me to both understand and appreciate the story more instead of just playing for stealthy neck snapping. I consider it to be a timeless title. Brilliant.