Golden metallic Pokemon cards. Anyone seen these before? (This topic is over 7 years old)

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Edited By astrotriforce

No Caption Provided

So I found these one day while checking out a Thrift Store and I just went ahead and sprang for all of them that they had at like $2 bucks a pop. I'm glad to own them though cause they look really cool.

Basically, they are like Pokemon cards but they are made of metal and the whole piece is gold colored. Each one has a picture of the Pokemon on front and a description on back, but they aren't related to the TCG, no other info is given outside the typical Pokedex description. They are all from generation one.

As you can see, I have: Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Togepi (er... okay guess they aren't all 1st gen), Charizard, Pikachu (in a plastic case) and . . . for some odd reason, Poliwhirl (I have two of him and two Jigglypuffs). I haven't actually looked these up online yet, but thought I'd ask here first.

Anyone else own these? Are there more than what I own?

No Caption Provided
astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By astrotriforce

No Caption Provided

So I found these one day while checking out a Thrift Store and I just went ahead and sprang for all of them that they had at like $2 bucks a pop. I'm glad to own them though cause they look really cool. 

Basically, they are like Pokemon cards but they are made of metal and the whole piece is gold colored. Each one has a picture of the Pokemon on front and a description on back, but they aren't related to the TCG, no other info is given outside the typical Pokedex description. They are all from generation one. 

As you can see, I have: Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Togepi (er... okay guess they aren't all 1st gen), Charizard, Pikachu (in a plastic case) and . . . for some odd reason, Poliwhirl (I have two of him and two Jigglypuffs). I haven't actually looked these up online yet, but thought I'd ask here first. 

Anyone else own these? Are there more than what I own?

No Caption Provided
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Lies

They're Burger King toys, I remember them from when I was little. They each came in their own pokeball which had a button you could press to open it, and the card was displayed inside, along with a little certificate of authenticity. I think they only produced one set though, so you probably have most all of them. Think they were made to tie into the first Pokemon movie if I remember correctly.

I probably still have mine in a closet somewhere.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Geno

Whoa awesome. Who would ever sell these to a thrift shop :? Plus if you got them for 2 bucks each I can only imagine the seller that sold them to the thrift shop got like a buck total or something. Anyway nice find. 

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By astrotriforce

WOW! 

I wasn't expecting that. Very cool. Looks like I'm far from having anything complete though as I'm missing the pokeball and authentication things. but it may be fun to try and track down at least all the cards. 

Cool thanks. :)

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By HandsomeDead

I have a Charmander and Polliwhirl from Burger King.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Yeah those are Burger King toys, back when the toys were actually cool.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By myniceicelife

Yep, I have a few of them.  No clue where the heck they are though.  Probably in a box downstairs with a bunch of the stuff when I was younger.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Barrock

I didn't think they were the toys that came with the meals, but things you could buy at Burger King?

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Damien

Yep, from BK.  Came in a cool working pokeball stand and with a certificate of authenticity.  I got a few.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By astrotriforce
@Barrock said:
" I didn't think they were the toys that came with the meals, but things you could buy at Burger King? " 

So they WEREN'T Happy Meal Toys but just "toys" you could purchase? I've always been interested to collect some of these fast food toys in the past. This is one I definitely would've jumped on had I had disposable income back then.
treythalomew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By treythalomew

Oh hell yes. I have a shoebox with 6 of those. Those came out when I was so rampant about Pokemon that I remember going to BK after swimming every night and buying those just to get all of them. I think by the 6th time they actually let me open them up to see if it was one of the ones I had or not. 

Now I have to go get that shoebox to see which ones I have.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By sagesebas
@Barrock: I think your right
FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By FCKSNAP

I had a couple of these when I was younger. I just realized that was like a decade ago, crazy! They were like $4 with the purchase of a value meal, not the kids' meal. 

I caught a fart in the Pokeball it came with. It really worked!

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By recroulette

Back in the day Burger King had all 150 pokemon as the kids meal  toys.
 The gold cards were those "2.99 with a value meal" items. 

I found the Charizard one in my brothers room when I visited home this summer, pretty neat.

SkinnyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By SkinnyBlue

I have the Pikachu one lying around somewhere, the Pokemon toys from Burger King back then were the best fast food toys ever.
Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Detrian

I got Togepi back in the day. Pretty lame, so I didn't care for it even then.

treythalomew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By treythalomew

I found mine deep in the basement. For some reason I even have two that are unopened. It must be that there was only 6 different ones so I never opened those. Surprisingly all have their pokeballs and authenticity slip.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By eroticfishcake

As everyone says, they are indeed BK toys. Some fucking great toys they are too. I've got about three of them. Wherever they are. Actually, where are they?...

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By ajamafalous

I had a few of these. BK "$X.XX with value meal" toys, as almost everyone else has said.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iam3green

those are pretty cool. i never seen those before. it kind of reminds me of yo-gi-oh on the show. they had a flash back where they were huge stone instead of cards. i use watch that show when i was younger.

Phoenixeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Hey I have one

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll never understand this crazy BK promotion. I still /had/ to have pikachu though.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I own several, they aren't going for much on ebay but they're a cool thing to have around.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By MezZa

Thanks for reminding me that I have these in my closet somewhere. I forgot all about those childhood BK trips looking forward to opening that pokeball.

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i have the charizard. i always thought these were dope

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

From Burger King in 1999. There were 6 total: Pikachu, Mewtwo, Poliwhirl, Charizard, Togepi, and Jigglypuff. They were $1.99. Came with a Pokéball that would open by a push button and had a certificate of authenticity signed by the chairman of NoA at the time.

No Caption Provided

ZZiggarot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ZZiggarot

They aren't just gold colored, they're gold plated. It's a small amount but sure to appreciate in value.

Has anyone found any misprinted ones?

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, from Burger King. I chose Togepi back when it was one of the newest Pokemon revealed.