#1 Edited by DonPixel (2605 posts) -

Its been a week I deleted DOTA2 out of my HD, and I can safely say my life is back, I feel good, and I'm not going back. Just to clarify:

-DOTA is a great game

Problem is: My personal policy dictates: when a videogame starts messing with my Real Life duties, IM OUT.

seriously, I learnt that lesson with WOW back in college, I saw the life of a friend being ruined (dropout) and stuff. So not again thanks.

There it goes duders, got it out of my system.. peace!

#2 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

you'll be back in a week.

#3 Edited by jimmyfenix (3859 posts) -

The daily dota is coming back so that might interest you ;)

#4 Edited by Do_The_Manta_Ray (733 posts) -

Run! Run while you can! I'll hold the beast off while you make your escape, don't stop for nothing!

#5 Edited by Lord_Xp (606 posts) -

The creeps will get you...eventually

#6 Edited by SeanFoster (882 posts) -

I've been there, based on some of my experiences with MMOs in the mid-2000s there are certain types of games I avoid these days as much as I know I'd enjoy them! I don't mind having binge gaming sessions but I'll focus on stuff that I know is a finite experience like Bioshock Infinite or The Last of Us.

#7 Posted by Veektarius (4984 posts) -

Haha, udders.

#8 Posted by NegativeCero (3026 posts) -

Good for you. I've taken it a step further and avoided any games I think could have that effect on me, which is why I haven't played WoW and why I probably won't mess with this game either.

#9 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

See you soon :)

#10 Posted by GnaTSoL (836 posts) -

It kinda sucks if you think about it. These games (DOTA, WOW) achieved in fun-factor so well that now a large amount of people need to avoid them for their own good. Really weird game developer conundrum. Sucks for the player as well. Some games like WOW I think, don't work when played sparingly... I say that from playing other MMOs.

#11 Edited by CaLe (4042 posts) -

Some things are just more important than any game will ever be. It's a good rule to have, and I hope you stick with it. I wasted over 2 years of my life on a game and from my own experience, you never stop regretting it. Cut that shit good and early.

#12 Posted by SSully (4279 posts) -

While DOTA is certainly addicted, I think it strikes a good balance because you can get a satisfying experience from one or two games. Just have a little self control and say "I am going to play 2 matches and that's it".

#13 Posted by Ben_H (3413 posts) -

Yup, same thing happened with me and Starcraft 2. After 3 years I decided enough was enough when I started having back issues because of how tense I sat while I played. I've actually started enjoying playing games again as a result. I've been having tons of fun with Civ V, Hotline Miami, and Rogue Legacy. I've also actually made progress on my many goals I had for this summer like learning new programming languages and starting playing guitar again. In the last 3 weeks I've learned HTML, Javascript, Python and a metric ton more C++ stuff (we use C++ and Java in school so those are my main focuses).

I likely will not be going back. I may play the odd game here or there but it stopped being fun like 2 months ago. I remember specifically thinking "Why am I doing this. I am not even having fun anymore" so I decided for the month of July I would not play and 3 weeks later I have no intention of starting again. I do think my life is better now. I will still watch SC2, which I think I have liked more than playing it for a while now.

#14 Edited by DonPixel (2605 posts) -
@ben_h said:

Yup, same thing happened with me and Starcraft 2. After 3 years I decided enough was enough when I started having back issues because of how tense I sat while I played. I've actually started enjoying playing games again as a result. I've been having tons of fun with Civ V, Hotline Miami, and Rogue Legacy. I've also actually made progress on my many goals I had for this summer like learning new programming languages and starting playing guitar again. In the last 3 weeks I've learned HTML, Javascript, Python and a metric ton more C++ stuff (we use C++ and Java in school so those are my main focuses).

I likely will not be going back. I may play the odd game here or there but it stopped being fun like 2 months ago. I remember specifically thinking "Why am I doing this. I am not even having fun anymore" so I decided for the month of July I would not play and 3 weeks later I have no intention of starting again. I do think my life is better now. I will still watch SC2, which I think I have liked more than playing it for a while now.

Im actually diving into Python right now for a job we were hired for, coming from C#... personally Im loving it, Python is so elegant compared to other mainstream languages.

@ssully said:

While DOTA is certainly addicted, I think it strikes a good balance because you can get a satisfying experience from one or two games. Just have a little self control and say "I am going to play 2 matches and that's it".

I thought this first, but then.. DOTA is one of those games you keep thinking about it the whole day... which becomes bothersome to say the least. I'm aware this might be my problem, maybe I suck at handling it, but hey... why bother.

#15 Posted by SeanCoughing (271 posts) -

@donpixel: I resent being called a "dudder" ;)

#16 Posted by VoshiNova (1737 posts) -

@donpixel said:

Its been a week I deleted DOTA2 out of my HD, and I can safely say my life is back, I feel good, and I'm not going back. Just to clarify:

-DOTA is a great game

Problem is: My personal policy dictates: when a videogame starts messing with my Real Life duties, IM OUT.

seriously, I learnt that lesson with WOW back in college, I saw the life of a friend being ruined (dropout) and stuff. So not again thanks.

There it goes dudders, got it out of my system.. peace!

know what's better than Dota? Oxycodone.