Good bye Giantbomb!

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

soliddragon24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By soliddragon24

I've been with the site since very near the beginning, I didn't have an account at first but I immediately migrated over from the gamespot days. I watched some of quicklooks before they became quicklooks (remember gunslinger face?) and really watched this site change over the years.

I believe some of best original content with regards to gaming is on this site. The Persona 4 ER finale was one of the best gaming moment I've ever had and I didn't even pick up a controller.

Truth be told, some of the shine has worn off and I don't finish most the quicklooks I start but the giantbomb crew and community are one of a kind.

I have finally finished university and I am forced to become an productive member of society and I just don't have the time anymore, both my 80GB PS3 and my launch 360 died (YLOD and RROD respectively) before the new year and I'm taking as a sign to leave gaming behind.

I'm not much a forum guy, but I wanted to say one last goodbye. Good luck and Have Batman.

Cheers

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Buy.

panvixyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By panvixyl

Uh, okay. So long.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By OllyOxenFree

You just graduated from university and you already find that you don't have any time to enjoy your hobbies? That's pretty good considering that most people I know who have graduated are just stuck trying to find employment.

God speed.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

I left for a while after my wife died. I came back. I then got a job and left for a while. I came back.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By musubi

Just because you are a productive member of society doesn't mean you have to ditch all the frivolous things you like to do you'll just have less time to do them. But hey.. bye I guess?!

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Brendan

@FluxWaveZ said:

Buy.

Buy what?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Brendan said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Buy.

Buy what?

A new PS3 and 360.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By SeanFoster

Since I finished school and have been in the workforce for six or seven years now I've needed things like Giantbomb more than ever. Sometimes it's playing games I don't have the time for but can still endulge my love of gaming via some fun videos on this site.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By shirogane

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Brendan said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Buy.

Buy what?

A new PS3 and 360.

Nah, he should buy a membership instead. Why? No idea, but he should do it.

And you'll probably be suprised how much time you have during work to just browse the web, well, depends on what type of work you do i guess.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By TruthTellah

@Soliddragon24: See you later.

When you become a productive member of society(like a lot of us), you need outlets like Giant Bomb more than ever. I imagine you'll find that out soon enough and come on back, and Giant Bomb will still be here for ya.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By coaxmetal

I have graduated still play games and follow the site and have a job and a life. I don't play as many games, but totally doable. Dumb internet stuff is still great.

PC Gaming

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bigsmoke77

@Claude:

defe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By defe

Good luck out there, duder. And of course, have Batman as well.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By PandaBear

is leaving?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOObody cares.

@TruthTellah said:

@Soliddragon24: See you later.

When you become a productive member of society(like a lot of us), you need outlets like Giant Bomb more than ever. I imagine you'll find that out soon enough and come on back, and Giant Bomb will still be here for ya.

Exactly.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Claude
@bigsmoke77: Damn you to hell Giant Bomb! But you're bookmarked, what can I do?
xMEGADETHxSLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xMEGADETHxSLY
Your gone............
Your gone............
Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18  Edited By Levio

If it were so easy to happily forgo entertainment in one's life, the world would be a much different place. But I suppose you could always take up another hobby, like collecting rare bottlecaps.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Branthog

@Soliddragon24 said:

I've been with the site since very near the beginning, I didn't have an account at first but I immediately migrated over from the gamespot days. I watched some of quicklooks before they became quicklooks (remember gunslinger face?) and really watched this site change over the years.

I believe some of best original content with regards to gaming is on this site. The Persona 4 ER finale was one of the best gaming moment I've ever had and I didn't even pick up a controller.

Truth be told, some of the shine has worn off and I don't finish most the quicklooks I start but the giantbomb crew and community are one of a kind.

I have finally finished university and I am forced to become an productive member of society and I just don't have the time anymore, both my 80GB PS3 and my launch 360 died (YLOD and RROD respectively) before the new year and I'm taking as a sign to leave gaming behind.

I'm not much a forum guy, but I wanted to say one last goodbye. Good luck and Have Batman.

Cheers

As a professional in my mid thirties who has put 50-60 hours per week into my career for the last fifteen years, have been remodeling my house for the last three, have a very large side project that eats up a lot of my time, have put siblings through college, and pull an ambitious salary, I take some umbrage at the implication that one can't be a productive member of society and still enjoy gaming.

However, just being out of college, my guess is you are in your early twenties -- and at that time, I spent almost none of it gaming as building my career alongside building my last massive side project truly did consume all of my time. It left none for relationships, friendships, or recreation of any time. So perhaps that's where you are. When you get to your thirties, things often tend to settle down and the value of decompressing with things you enjoy increases. Especially as you realize half of your life is over and most of the shit you do isn't going to ever matter, so you might as well enjoy yourself. :)

For whatever it's worth, I wish I could go back fifteen years and put a little more time into relationships, friendships, and recreation -- even if it meant slowing down everything else by a couple years, overall.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ShadowConqueror

We hardly knew ye.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

Can I has your stuff?

Just kidding. GLHB.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By bacongames

Gotta say, at least this send off was positive. Better than double middle finger eff off site and moderator threads.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By csl316
@Soliddragon24 said:

I have finally finished university and I am forced to become an productive member of society and I just don't have the time anymore.

Meh... that's what everyone says.   Turns out most people are just poor time managers.  Hell, doing two degrees gave me far less time to do things than adulthood does.
Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24  Edited By Giantstalker

I thought the same thing when I gave in and joined the Army.

Not only am I nowhere near a productive member of society, but I spend more time with this site than ever!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being an adult is serious business.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NegativeCero

Good luck in your future endeavors, duder. Although I'm sure you'll keep gaming even if it's just on your phone.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#27  Edited By DarthOrange

Bye Bye, have fun!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By toowalrus

@Branthog: Even if he doesn't have time for gaming at the moment (and I've been in that position, when I was both working and attending college full time), I assume he still drives places sometimes... there's always time for the Bombcast. I find this whole "leaving the community forever" think to be quite silly.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By big_jon

@xMEGADETHxSLY said:

Your gone............
Your gone............

You're*

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Roger778

Goodbye...I guess.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#31  Edited By Little_Socrates

You'll find that Giant Bomb is worse than that hunkadunk. You'll come crawling back. Or your intestines will.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#33  Edited By Little_Socrates

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: Look, lady. I'm a reporter. Just like you.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Claude
Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slither_Maggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By Slither_Maggot

We tip our hat to a lost gamer. One day may you two find one another again.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By Hizang

You'll be back ..

Grasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Grasu

see ya

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ThePaleKing

Sellout.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By VoshiNova

The amount of replies stating how your a "productive member of society" as well and continue your Giant Bomb-ness is startling.

Very strong sense of guilt from these posts.....but I don't know - I'm a productive guy who does lots of stuff that sounds important too!

RAWR!

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Fearbeard

I go to school, work full time and still find I have plenty of time for games.

Of course I'd rather stay in with a good game then head out to the bars or parties so there's that.

Good luck to you I guess.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By buft

"Later duders, im a grown up now and dont have time to hang out with you babies!" - Google translate

Worcanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Worcanna

Yea. While it isn't intended, it does kinda sound like "Im a grown up now, gotta go do grown up things". Not to put a kaibosh on this but you do know that gaming, in its whole is something called a pass time. A activity done in the time you do not do things. Heck, gaming in the last few years has shortened to cater to people who do not have weeks to put into a game. So...kinda coming out and saying "Oh, i don't have time" strikes me as someone simply not super interested in it anymore. :) Id of rather it be "Im just bored of gaming" then "Imma big boy now" ;) just saying. hehe.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FesteringNeon

We'll still be here once the new systems are out and you're over your crisis.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

YOU'LL BE BACK, MOTHER FUCKER.

All this did was remind me of how much I'm going to miss Giantbomb if I'm lucky enough to end up deployed in a shithole combat zone when I enlist. Thanks guy!

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Branthog

@VoshiNova said:

The amount of replies stating how your a "productive member of society" as well and continue your Giant Bomb-ness is startling.

Very strong sense of guilt from these posts.....but I don't know - I'm a productive guy who does lots of stuff that sounds important too!

RAWR!

People who play video games and post in forums are serial rapists and if they contest this, it must be from a strong sense of rape-guilt!

@MordeaniisChaos said:

YOU'LL BE BACK, MOTHER FUCKER.

All this did was remind me of how much I'm going to miss Giantbomb if I'm lucky enough to end up deployed in a shithole combat zone when I enlist. Thanks guy!

As far as everyone I've known who was deployed, you should still have internet access. Just not much of it. But, hey, if you are going to use that precious internet time for friends and family instead of us or something, then, well . . . hmph! :P

@Fearbeard said:

Of course I'd rather stay in with a good game then head out to the bars or parties so there's that.

By the time you reach my age, you'd rather do just about anything than go out. :)

Hell, you'd rather have a nice, long, uninterrupted nap than have sex, half the time!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Claude
@Branthog said:

@Fearbeard said:

By the time you reach my age, you'd rather do just about anything than go out. :)

Hell, you'd rather have a nice, long, uninterrupted nap than have sex, half the time!

I believe I'm older than you. I think about sex... I think about losing my partner and then maybe having another enter my life. I play video games for many reasons. I come to Giant Bomb because it feels like home. I leave when the feeling isn't there or I just don't give a shit to post or view for a while. We're all individuals. We set our own terms and rules when it comes to the internet.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Branthog

@Claude said:

@Branthog said:

@Fearbeard said:

I believe I'm older than you. I think about sex... I think about losing my partner and then maybe having another enter my life. I play video games for many reasons. I come to Giant Bomb because it feels like home. I leave when the feeling isn't there or I just don't give a shit to post or view for a while. We're all individuals. We set our own terms and rules when it comes to the internet.

I'm sure we all think about sex, but surely you can't tell me that you haven't chosen a nap over sex, on occasion! Or even a video game over it. :P

I've always found GB to be kind of the only middle-ground between the types of sites out there. On one hand, you have massive impersonal sites filled with constant floods of crap updates where the comment section is pretty trivial and there's no sense of community. On the other, you have much smaller sites which are often focused around a group of people who forge a pretty strong community, but are lighter on the updates (especially original content). GB is kind of a nice middle-ground.

Anyway, of all the reasons I'd ever leave GB (life can get busy, sure), I'd certainly not say it'd be for "being a productive member of society" with the implication that video games are a thing you leave behind along with the dollhouses GI Joe action figures.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SharkEthic

I work full time as a software developer, bought a house about a year ago, have a wife and a 3 month old son. I'd consider myself a grown up, hell, maybe even a productive member of society? I also own a PS3, 360 and a gaming PC that's very much not collecting dust.

Anyway, bye for now. Good luck not getting bored as shit being a "grown up".

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Claude
@Branthog: Yeah, maybe. My life has changed, so I'm alone now. I do like a good nap.