• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Soliddragon24 (62 posts) -

I've been with the site since very near the beginning, I didn't have an account at first but I immediately migrated over from the gamespot days. I watched some of quicklooks before they became quicklooks (remember gunslinger face?) and really watched this site change over the years.

I believe some of best original content with regards to gaming is on this site. The Persona 4 ER finale was one of the best gaming moment I've ever had and I didn't even pick up a controller.

Truth be told, some of the shine has worn off and I don't finish most the quicklooks I start but the giantbomb crew and community are one of a kind.

I have finally finished university and I am forced to become an productive member of society and I just don't have the time anymore, both my 80GB PS3 and my launch 360 died (YLOD and RROD respectively) before the new year and I'm taking as a sign to leave gaming behind.

I'm not much a forum guy, but I wanted to say one last goodbye. Good luck and Have Batman.

Cheers

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

Buy.

#3 Posted by panvixyl (325 posts) -

Uh, okay. So long.

#4 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

You just graduated from university and you already find that you don't have any time to enjoy your hobbies? That's pretty good considering that most people I know who have graduated are just stuck trying to find employment.

God speed.

#5 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I left for a while after my wife died. I came back. I then got a job and left for a while. I came back.

#6 Posted by Demoskinos (14563 posts) -

Just because you are a productive member of society doesn't mean you have to ditch all the frivolous things you like to do you'll just have less time to do them. But hey.. bye I guess?!

#7 Posted by Brendan (7687 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Buy.

Buy what?

#8 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@Brendan said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Buy.

Buy what?

A new PS3 and 360.

#9 Posted by SeanFoster (856 posts) -

Since I finished school and have been in the workforce for six or seven years now I've needed things like Giantbomb more than ever. Sometimes it's playing games I don't have the time for but can still endulge my love of gaming via some fun videos on this site.

#10 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Brendan said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Buy.

Buy what?

A new PS3 and 360.

Nah, he should buy a membership instead. Why? No idea, but he should do it.

And you'll probably be suprised how much time you have during work to just browse the web, well, depends on what type of work you do i guess.

#11 Posted by TruthTellah (8537 posts) -

@Soliddragon24: See you later.

When you become a productive member of society(like a lot of us), you need outlets like Giant Bomb more than ever. I imagine you'll find that out soon enough and come on back, and Giant Bomb will still be here for ya.

#12 Posted by coaxmetal (1579 posts) -

I have graduated still play games and follow the site and have a job and a life. I don't play as many games, but totally doable. Dumb internet stuff is still great.

PC Gaming

#13 Posted by bigsmoke77 (788 posts) -

@Claude:

#14 Posted by DEFE (229 posts) -

Good luck out there, duder. And of course, have Batman as well.

#15 Posted by PandaBear (1303 posts) -

is leaving?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOObody cares.

@TruthTellah said:

@Soliddragon24: See you later.

When you become a productive member of society(like a lot of us), you need outlets like Giant Bomb more than ever. I imagine you'll find that out soon enough and come on back, and Giant Bomb will still be here for ya.

Exactly.

#16 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@bigsmoke77: Damn you to hell Giant Bomb! But you're bookmarked, what can I do?
#17 Posted by xMEGADETHxSLY (446 posts) -
Your gone............
#18 Posted by Levio (1783 posts) -

If it were so easy to happily forgo entertainment in one's life, the world would be a much different place. But I suppose you could always take up another hobby, like collecting rare bottlecaps.

#19 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

@Soliddragon24 said:

I've been with the site since very near the beginning, I didn't have an account at first but I immediately migrated over from the gamespot days. I watched some of quicklooks before they became quicklooks (remember gunslinger face?) and really watched this site change over the years.

I believe some of best original content with regards to gaming is on this site. The Persona 4 ER finale was one of the best gaming moment I've ever had and I didn't even pick up a controller.

Truth be told, some of the shine has worn off and I don't finish most the quicklooks I start but the giantbomb crew and community are one of a kind.

I have finally finished university and I am forced to become an productive member of society and I just don't have the time anymore, both my 80GB PS3 and my launch 360 died (YLOD and RROD respectively) before the new year and I'm taking as a sign to leave gaming behind.

I'm not much a forum guy, but I wanted to say one last goodbye. Good luck and Have Batman.

Cheers

As a professional in my mid thirties who has put 50-60 hours per week into my career for the last fifteen years, have been remodeling my house for the last three, have a very large side project that eats up a lot of my time, have put siblings through college, and pull an ambitious salary, I take some umbrage at the implication that one can't be a productive member of society and still enjoy gaming.

However, just being out of college, my guess is you are in your early twenties -- and at that time, I spent almost none of it gaming as building my career alongside building my last massive side project truly did consume all of my time. It left none for relationships, friendships, or recreation of any time. So perhaps that's where you are. When you get to your thirties, things often tend to settle down and the value of decompressing with things you enjoy increases. Especially as you realize half of your life is over and most of the shit you do isn't going to ever matter, so you might as well enjoy yourself. :)

For whatever it's worth, I wish I could go back fifteen years and put a little more time into relationships, friendships, and recreation -- even if it meant slowing down everything else by a couple years, overall.

#20 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

We hardly knew ye.

#21 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (750 posts) -

Can I has your stuff?

Just kidding. GLHB.

#22 Posted by BaconGames (3292 posts) -

Gotta say, at least this send off was positive. Better than double middle finger eff off site and moderator threads.

#23 Posted by csl316 (8114 posts) -
@Soliddragon24 said:

I have finally finished university and I am forced to become an productive member of society and I just don't have the time anymore.

Meh... that's what everyone says.   Turns out most people are just poor time managers.  Hell, doing two degrees gave me far less time to do things than adulthood does.
#24 Posted by Giantstalker (1533 posts) -

I thought the same thing when I gave in and joined the Army.

Not only am I nowhere near a productive member of society, but I spend more time with this site than ever!

#25 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

Being an adult is serious business.

#26 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

Good luck in your future endeavors, duder. Although I'm sure you'll keep gaming even if it's just on your phone.

#27 Posted by DarthOrange (3851 posts) -

Bye Bye, have fun!

#28 Posted by TooWalrus (13137 posts) -

@Branthog: Even if he doesn't have time for gaming at the moment (and I've been in that position, when I was both working and attending college full time), I assume he still drives places sometimes... there's always time for the Bombcast. I find this whole "leaving the community forever" think to be quite silly.

#29 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

@xMEGADETHxSLY said:

Your gone............

You're*

#30 Posted by Roger778 (953 posts) -

Goodbye...I guess.

#31 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

You'll find that Giant Bomb is worse than that hunkadunk. You'll come crawling back. Or your intestines will.

#32 Edited by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -
#33 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: Look, lady. I'm a reporter. Just like you.

#34 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
#35 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -
#36 Posted by Slither_Maggot (221 posts) -

We tip our hat to a lost gamer. One day may you two find one another again.

#37 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

You'll be back ..

#38 Posted by Grasu (42 posts) -

see ya

#39 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

Sellout.

#40 Posted by VoshiNova (1640 posts) -

The amount of replies stating how your a "productive member of society" as well and continue your Giant Bomb-ness is startling.

Very strong sense of guilt from these posts.....but I don't know - I'm a productive guy who does lots of stuff that sounds important too!

RAWR!

#41 Posted by Fearbeard (824 posts) -

I go to school, work full time and still find I have plenty of time for games.

Of course I'd rather stay in with a good game then head out to the bars or parties so there's that.

Good luck to you I guess.

#42 Posted by buft (3301 posts) -

"Later duders, im a grown up now and dont have time to hang out with you babies!" - Google translate

#43 Posted by Worcanna (90 posts) -

Yea. While it isn't intended, it does kinda sound like "Im a grown up now, gotta go do grown up things". Not to put a kaibosh on this but you do know that gaming, in its whole is something called a pass time. A activity done in the time you do not do things. Heck, gaming in the last few years has shortened to cater to people who do not have weeks to put into a game. So...kinda coming out and saying "Oh, i don't have time" strikes me as someone simply not super interested in it anymore. :) Id of rather it be "Im just bored of gaming" then "Imma big boy now" ;) just saying. hehe.

#44 Posted by FesteringNeon (2158 posts) -

We'll still be here once the new systems are out and you're over your crisis.

#45 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

YOU'LL BE BACK, MOTHER FUCKER.

All this did was remind me of how much I'm going to miss Giantbomb if I'm lucky enough to end up deployed in a shithole combat zone when I enlist. Thanks guy!

#46 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

@VoshiNova said:

The amount of replies stating how your a "productive member of society" as well and continue your Giant Bomb-ness is startling.

Very strong sense of guilt from these posts.....but I don't know - I'm a productive guy who does lots of stuff that sounds important too!

RAWR!

People who play video games and post in forums are serial rapists and if they contest this, it must be from a strong sense of rape-guilt!

@MordeaniisChaos said:

YOU'LL BE BACK, MOTHER FUCKER.

All this did was remind me of how much I'm going to miss Giantbomb if I'm lucky enough to end up deployed in a shithole combat zone when I enlist. Thanks guy!

As far as everyone I've known who was deployed, you should still have internet access. Just not much of it. But, hey, if you are going to use that precious internet time for friends and family instead of us or something, then, well . . . hmph! :P

@Fearbeard said:

Of course I'd rather stay in with a good game then head out to the bars or parties so there's that.

By the time you reach my age, you'd rather do just about anything than go out. :)

Hell, you'd rather have a nice, long, uninterrupted nap than have sex, half the time!

#47 Edited by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Branthog said:

@Fearbeard said:

By the time you reach my age, you'd rather do just about anything than go out. :)

Hell, you'd rather have a nice, long, uninterrupted nap than have sex, half the time!

I believe I'm older than you. I think about sex... I think about losing my partner and then maybe having another enter my life. I play video games for many reasons. I come to Giant Bomb because it feels like home. I leave when the feeling isn't there or I just don't give a shit to post or view for a while. We're all individuals. We set our own terms and rules when it comes to the internet.
#48 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

@Claude said:

@Branthog said:

@Fearbeard said:

I believe I'm older than you. I think about sex... I think about losing my partner and then maybe having another enter my life. I play video games for many reasons. I come to Giant Bomb because it feels like home. I leave when the feeling isn't there or I just don't give a shit to post or view for a while. We're all individuals. We set our own terms and rules when it comes to the internet.

I'm sure we all think about sex, but surely you can't tell me that you haven't chosen a nap over sex, on occasion! Or even a video game over it. :P

I've always found GB to be kind of the only middle-ground between the types of sites out there. On one hand, you have massive impersonal sites filled with constant floods of crap updates where the comment section is pretty trivial and there's no sense of community. On the other, you have much smaller sites which are often focused around a group of people who forge a pretty strong community, but are lighter on the updates (especially original content). GB is kind of a nice middle-ground.

Anyway, of all the reasons I'd ever leave GB (life can get busy, sure), I'd certainly not say it'd be for "being a productive member of society" with the implication that video games are a thing you leave behind along with the dollhouses GI Joe action figures.

#49 Posted by SharkEthic (1004 posts) -

I work full time as a software developer, bought a house about a year ago, have a wife and a 3 month old son. I'd consider myself a grown up, hell, maybe even a productive member of society? I also own a PS3, 360 and a gaming PC that's very much not collecting dust.

Anyway, bye for now. Good luck not getting bored as shit being a "grown up".

#50 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Branthog: Yeah, maybe. My life has changed, so I'm alone now. I do like a good nap.