Good, free movie maker?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b45500a95f79
deactivated-5b45500a95f79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I'm trying to makes some short clips, but Windows movie maker is making it impossible to just cut clips together.  Not looking for advanced techniques, but need easy editing software.  I need to add sound bytes and subtitles.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Which Windows are you using?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to use windows xp,  my netbook cant handle much, else.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Oh dang, if you had 7, the system on Windows Movie Maker is much improved with the necessary tools you need.

jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By jim_dandy

Everything is free on the internet.... 

(I was never here....)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AARRRGGHHHhh!!  This program is serious making me angry!

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By jmrwacko

Windows Movie Maker Live sucks on Windows 7, you can't even slow down or speed up clips, and it somehow lets youtube in on any licensed songs you use and slaps advertisements all over your youtube vids.

I'd like to know about a decent movie making suite myself.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ltcoljaxson
@jmrwacko: 

Really, you must pay to get the features you may want. They are pretty powerful editors, but are unfortunately expensive. I recommend Sony Vegas, try and check it out and look at some of the features. It's a really nice movie suite, but you need a powerful computer to render the clips within a reasonable amount of time. My quad-core 2.4 with a 9800GTX I think rendered a 2 minute movie clip with effects in about 5-10 minutes at 1080p quality luckily - so the program itself runs nicely. Try to get it by some means... Good luck in finding it or trying to find some other movie editors. Try searching for some open source software... not many will be much better than Movie maker.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SeriouslyNow
Open source alternatives to Windows Movie Maker.  I've used avidemux to replace soundtracks in movies I've made.  Cinelerra is meant to be one of the best and also Blender has very powerful non-linear video editing features too and comes in 32bit and 64bit editions.  All of these are free.  

@LtColJaxson said:
"Try searching for some open source software... not many will be much better than Movie maker. "
There are lots of open source alternatives which are much better than Windows Movie Maker.