#1 Edited by Erk_Forever (157 posts) -

I've been *in* Afghanistan for quite a while and will head home soon. My ability to keep up with good games has been mostly limited to big titles, so I'm curious what good indie games I may have missed that haven't gotten a lot of attention. I'd like games with a high level of craftsmanship. Any suggestions?

#2 Posted by believer258 (11678 posts) -

I take it you've heard of Minecraft?

What about Terraria?

#3 Posted by cutyoface (541 posts) -

Definitely try out Minecraft, Super Meat Boy or the Binding of Isaac.

#5 Posted by Erk_Forever (157 posts) -

@believer258: A buddy of mine turned me onto both of those before we left, so I managed to get a hold of them during the holiday stale on steam.

#6 Posted by Erk_Forever (157 posts) -

@cutyoface: I have the other two, but, what sort of game is BOI exactly?

#7 Posted by believer258 (11678 posts) -

@Erk_Forever said:

@believer258: A buddy of mine turned me onto both of those before we left, so I managed to get a hold of them during the holiday stale on steam.

Minecraft isn't on Steam...

What do you mean by "high level of craftsmanship"?

#8 Posted by Erk_Forever (157 posts) -

@believer258: You mean that wasn't steam launching when I play minecraft? Weird. What I mean is stuff that has a decent amount of time, and thoughtful effort put into it. Something that is either being supported regularly, or, that a reasonable person might call a well put together game.

#9 Posted by Dezztroy (776 posts) -

Check out Lone Survivor. Made by one man and has an amazing soundtrack.

#10 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

@Erk_Forever said:

My ability to keep up with good games has been mostly limited to big titles

I read that "big titties"...

Also who goes on vacation to Afghanistan? o.O

#11 Posted by Erk_Forever (157 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Erk_Forever said:

Nobody. The country is a no fly zone right now. I don't see why anyone would want to; this place is a shit-hole. The real answer is 'MERICA, that's why.

#12 Posted by believer258 (11678 posts) -

@Erk_Forever said:

@believer258: You mean that wasn't steam launching when I play minecraft? Weird. What I mean is stuff that has a decent amount of time, and thoughtful effort put into it. Something that is either being supported regularly, or, that a reasonable person might call a well put together game.

In that case, check out Bastion and don't spoil it for yourself!

I thought you meant games where you could put stuff together and build stuff, like Minecraft and Terraria and such. Anyway, there are many other small and/or "indie" titles that have come out that deserve your attention, but Bastion is a pretty good place to start. It's also the only one I can remember off the top of my freshly-out-of-class head.

I don't know if you heard of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but it's supposed to be a really good horror game as well.

#13 Posted by Erk_Forever (157 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Erk_Forever said:

In that case, check out Bastion and don't spoil it for yourself!

I thought you meant games where you could put stuff together and build stuff, like Minecraft and Terraria and such. Anyway, there are many other small and/or "indie" titles that have come out that deserve your attention, but Bastion is a pretty good place to start. It's also the only one I can remember off the top of my freshly-out-of-class head.

I don't know if you heard of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but it's supposed to be a really good horror game as well.

I played the demo for Bastion before I left, and bookmarked it in my head; thanks for reminding me about it! I have a buddy who has been raving about amnesia the entire time I've been here, so, I was planning on picking that up too. Thanks for the reminders on those. I really should find a news site that focuses on indie titles.

#14 Posted by EVO (3870 posts) -

Journey?

#15 Posted by Erk_Forever (157 posts) -

@EVO: Oooh, that one has piqued my interested a while ago, but, I haven't been able to afford a PS3 yet.

#16 Posted by EVO (3870 posts) -
#17 Posted by Erk_Forever (157 posts) -

@EVO: I'll give that a look once I get a solid internet connection. Probably back home.

#18 Posted by hardcorebunni93 (31 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Erk_Forever said:

You should probably think a little more before you speak and/or type. Limbo was interesting. Binding of Isaac I heard was also interesting.

#19 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

Space Pirates and Zombies is a game where I think it's a good game, but not good enough to explain how I have suddenly dumped 20 hours into it out of nowhere. It's really quite complex, once you dig past the kind of meh combat at the start, and there are so many systems going on that you can take up oodles of time just getting to a point where you feel comfortable with how you're going.

Otherwise, jump into any number of indie games, they tend to be pretty good. From what I can see from my Steam library: Superbrothers, Eufloria, Super Meat Boy, all such are pretty good.

And because it deserves a plug, Recettear: An Item's Tale is quite fun, maybe because I enjoy the sound of happy high-pitched Japanese girls yelling "いらしゃいませ!"

#20 Posted by AssInAss (2546 posts) -
#21 Posted by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

@AssInAss said:

Dust: An Elysian Tail

you mean the game that has reviews on every major site, and is heavily featured in the most popular arcade lineup of the year? yeah, thats TOTALLY not getting alot of coverage....

#22 Posted by AssInAss (2546 posts) -

@Clonedzero said:

@AssInAss said:

Dust: An Elysian Tail

you mean the game that has reviews on every major site, and is heavily featured in the most popular arcade lineup of the year? yeah, thats TOTALLY not getting alot of coverage....

My bad, didn't know it was that popular :P

Ok, Resonance (modern setting adventure game by Gemini Rue devs).

Dear Esther (short First Person ghost story with random narrative and multiple interpretations; Mirror's Edge artist; amazing soundtrack)

Thirty Flights of Loving (from the Gravity Bone devs, First Person short story with a cool art style)

#23 Posted by Erk_Forever (157 posts) -

@RPGee: I think Space Pirates and Zombies is right up my alley; I've always loved games the have a solid and robust genre blend.

#24 Posted by me3639 (1729 posts) -

Too many to name. Everyone has their heads buried in the same old, same old. Indie games, FTP, and Mods deserve so much more attention than they receive.

#25 Posted by Erk_Forever (157 posts) -

@me3639 said:

Too many to name. Everyone has their heads buried in the same old, same old. Indie games, FTP, and Mods deserve so much more attention than they receive.

That is why... I started this topic?

#26 Posted by FLStyle (4593 posts) -

@Erk_Forever said:

@me3639 said:

That is why... I started this topic?

I laughed.

#27 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

I like Overgrowth and Receiver . At one point they came bundled, but I can't see if they still are. Overgrowth is a little expensive at $30 and it's still in alpha, but it's pretty fun. Receiver is a rogue like FPS. I haven't really played much of it, but it's definitely something to look into. Project Zomboid is a really cool survival game where it's not if you can survive, but how long until you die. I think the longest anyone has survived is like a year. Gnomoria is a Dwarf Fortress clone that I think is more gamified than DF. So it's a little simpler and a little more fun. Thanks to Giant Bomb, I've discovered the Kerbal Space Program. That's a really fun spaceship sim. There are tons of great indie games out there to find and play.

If you like indie games, I'd recommend installing Desura. They're like Steam, but focus more on free mods and indie games. Most of the games I mentioned can be found there. Every game is required to have screenshots a video and I think a trial, so you know what you're getting.