User Lists: 0

Demon's Souls

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Also, before I forget about this thread I'll mention some games that haven't been brought up yet (or when I read this thread, I must have glossed over or forgot about when it was mentioned - sorry if I mention one someone else had!). Since you seem to have a good footing now, I'll mention ones to add to your list (though not necassarily to try first):

• Xenoblade Chronicles - Wii - This game's almost an MMO in some respects but I really enjoyed it even though I hate most MMO-tropes (I loved it despite never finishing it, I should go back as I was really close to the end). Also, it's a good friend of mine's favourite game of all time; he'd knock me one if I didn't mention it.
  • Final Fantasy XII - PS2 - I think this is the most unique Final Fantasy game (and as such is probably a love-it-or-hate-it kind of game too). It has good voice acting in it for the most part (though it'll take a while for you to actually get the more interesting characters into your party). And it has a very interesting set-up for how you unlock abilities and even the ability to use specific weapons.
  • Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep - PSP - probably the most polished game in the series and also one of the best real-time-action JRPG's on a handheld ever made. It's truly fantastic and kind of a standalone experience (it still contains the madness of the rest of the series - but it's a lot more consistent with it - which is to say it is weird throughout, interestingly weird I promise).
  • Lost Odyssey - Xbox 360 - While I don't own a 360, so I can't personally vouch for it, my sister definitely loved it and especially liked the characters (including the voice acting).
  • The .Hack:// Series. I've always found this series oddly overlooked so I try and mention them every now and then. There are two main series to look at, the original and the ://GU series. The GU series are the more recent late-PS2 era ones. And the former are the first. They take place inside a fake MMO and tell the story of your character playing this MMO and finding that it's affecting real life in some bad ways (See unconscious children). It's pretty standard in most regards but I think they are fantastically made. Their basically episodic in the same way the Xenosaga (look them up, they're good too) series is. Its basically like playing an MMO where you get to play with really interesting people and be the main heroes of the MMO (my fantasy idea of what the best kind of MMO experience should be like). But, because it isn't a real MMO they can flesh out characters in very interesting ways, and make other "players" characters themselves.
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Aetheldod

It seems you found your answers .... about FFX yeah it may be a bit bad on the VA department after all it was the first FF to have voice over and it faulter here and there specially if we compare them to Persona 3 and 4 which voice acting was already "mastered".

Well as an easy RPG and is modern I would recommen Lost Odyssey whcih still has most of jrpg stuff of old but made easier and grinding is pretty much non existent.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#55  Edited By cornbredx

PS2? Sure, just play Final Fantasy X. The story is kind of insane but I think it's a cool game. Probably the last "old school" JRPG I enjoyed. Ni No Kuni is alright too, but that's PS3.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@fuzzy_dunlop: Then based upon what you've written, Chrono Trigger seems like a pretty good fit. The combat system is fun and not overly complicated (i.e. it doesn't have the spreadsheet bullshit of the Final Fantasies, but there is a few elements of complexity with dual- and triple- techs); the time travel plot is well executed; and there's even some replay value to it with New Game + (as there's roughly a dozen endings to get). Grinding isn't necessary at all in the main game.

My own personal beef with a lot of JRPG plots is that they tend to eventually boil down to the bizarre fascination with (and there's probably a fancy word for this) "killing god", which tends to happen late game and sometimes quite out of the blue - especially with the Final Fantasies - and with Persona 4's "true" boss. Chrono Trigger on the other hand sets up the primary antagonist very early on, and - spoilers - it's who you actually face as opposed to some random-ass deity that conveniently happened to be possessing the previous antagonist all along (but you spent the whole damn game talking about the other guy anyway!).

Maybe there's some sort of cultural nuance about Japanese game developers actively hating religion that I'm ignorantly missing, but I can't help but feel it's just lazy story telling masquerading as an excuse for whoever to go nuts in the final battle(s). That and the whole "power of friends!" trope that gets trotted out way too much.

The various Mario RPGs are a lot of fun too.

Not too many games actually pull the left-field-surprise final boss out these days. And when it is used, it's not about the developers "hating religion." Japan's notion of institutionalized religion is simply different from the way we perceive it in North America and Europe. Here in the U.S., Nintendo of America was particularly restrictive when it came to religious iconography in games for many years to the point that it prevented a Shigeru Miyamoto-produced game from being released here. Devil World could barely be considered blasphemous, but because it featured prevalent iconography and a devil character, well, nope! No game for us!

Also, the fancy word you are looking for is deicide, I believe. But that is beside the point. Crafting a narrative that concludes with a fight against a deity of some sort isn't a sign of being lazy, nor is it a "bizarre fasciination." Thematically, it's more about humanity's struggle against a supposedly higher power. It's a core element of the Megami Tensei franchise, which since its inception has pitted players against all manner of deities ranging from Izanami the ancient Japanese creation goddess in Persona 4 to the Christian god YHVH in Megami Tensei II and SMTII. You constantly meet and ally with, as well as fight, deities and folklore figures from religions and legends around the world. It was true in Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Monogatari, and it's true in Shin Megami Tensei IV.

And when you look at the history of Final Fantasy in particular, only a scant few go for the "fight god out of left-field" twist at the very end. Final Fantasy IV and IX are probably most notable for falling into the trap, but what are you doing in the other games? In VI, you end up fighting Kefka. You pretty much know he's going to be the end boss after the halfway point. Final Fantasy VII and VIII have you fighting powerful entities, but they're entities that you know about by that point. There's no surprise twist there. XII? Oh, hell no. XIII? Again, by the time you reach the end, you're aware of what's happening, and when a twist does occur, it's not out of place, primarily because of the place you're in when it happens.

So what about X? Well, the whole game is about going on a pilgrimage to stop a monstrous entity called Sin and bringing calm to the world. But the party goes further than any other group before it and are able to not only stop Sin, but the source of it. The entity Yu Yevon that people had worshiped in Spira's predominant religion was also the source of Sin. At the end of the game, you essentially kill the being that is at the core of a belief system, but it's a false belief that, as previously established over the course of the game, had managed to thrive and become entrenched through church corruption and zealotry. That's not a lazy handling of the trope. The way that FFX handles it is actually quite skilled.

Avatar image for millennialbuddha
MillennialBuddha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fuzzy_dunlop: Ni No Kuni on PS3 or any of the Pokemon games are good entry points I'd say.

tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phantasy Star 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5998b7e12fabb
deactivated-5998b7e12fabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved Eternal Sonata up until the ending which was ass and put me off it completely.

I think you'd be crazy to not play FFX. I personally consider it to be one of my favourite RPGs (and one of my favourite games ever). It's got a great story, overall great presentation with a fantastic soundtrack and great gameplay. If you're looking for a great JRPG from the PS2 era, that's got to be one of the best.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Radiant Historia.

DylanGW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@fuzzy_dunlop said:

Probably something that strikes a fine balance between writing and good gameplay. I'm not the biggest fan of grinding, but it's not a game breaker. And challenge isn't a necessity, with or without. I'm fine with any degree of difficulty really, other than something bordering on near impossibility.

I completely forgot about Dragon Quest and Suikoden. I'll definitely have to check those out at.... some point after I finish some of these games.

When you get around to playing a Dragon Quest game I strongly recommend Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King [PS2]. It was my first jrpg; like you I had missed out on the genre until later in life. It is a difficult game; but it wasn't impossible for me on my first go. For what it's worth, Persona 3 is more challenging. You will be more than ready to play it after Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy X. What is so great about Dragon Quest VIII is that it sticks tightly to the conventions of the genre in terms of mechanics and story; but pulls it off with awe-inspring production and polish. It was my first jrpg and will likely remain my favourite for some time. Much like Legend of Zelda: the Windwaker; the visuals of Dragon Quest VIII are beautiful to this day.

I'm assuming you are going to play Chrono Trigger on the Nintendo DS. There are numerous other jrpg remakes for that system in the Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy series. The best however, are Final Fantasy IV and Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies. The DS is a great system for classic jrpg remakes and new editions. One game no one has mentioned is the World Ends With You; probably because it has unconventional mechanics and is very difficult; but I thought you might want to be aware of it. Aside from the two excellent Mario & Luigi games it's the best new jrpg for the DS (imo).

Loading Video...

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fireburger said:

Yeah, if he wants to die of boredom. Though the ten-minute long death scene is worth a laugh. Seriously, this game is plagued with the absolute worst of the worst anime tropes. Newcomers should certainly avoid like the plague. Combat system's alright, and they started with a concept with some potential, unfortunately, the rest of the game is stupidity bordering on parody of itself.

If you don't mind playing older games, Final Fantasies IV and VI or Crono Trigger are definitely a good place to start. Newer, I'd suggest Xenoblade Chronicles.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Belegorm

Gonna recommend Chrono Trigger. No it's not a new JRPG, but there haven't been that many good ones for a while.

Bravely Default and Ni no Kuni are supposed to be pretty good I've heard too.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Dragon Quest is a great rpg series to get into as a beginner because unlike most jrpg's you keep all experience and levels gained when you die. No need to restart from an old save instead you respawn at the closest church and are penalized half of your money on you, but you wont have it on you anyway since you can deposit it into the bank for safe keeping.

So yeah Dragon Quest or Paper Mario or hell the Stick of Truth is pretty good if you're a South Park fan.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By HerbieBug

If you want something that is still jrpg but a little off the beaten path and different, try Parasite Eve. It is kinda sorta what you might imagine a jrpg inspired by Resident Evil would be.

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@fuzzy_dunlop: FFX is a genuinely good game. Most JRPGs have bad writing but I wouldn't consider FFX to be one of them. There are plenty of gaffs and attempts at humor that fall flat but the moments that matter hit effectively. It's really a very good story, especially for JRPGs. The quick look isn't indicative because you need context to the world and characters. It's one of those things where if you show a clip of "HA HA HA HAH AH," yeah it looks dumb, but in the context it makes sense. I've played FFX a lot and even I thought the "WHY WONT YUNA STOP DANCING" seemed weird in the quick look. People who have no context on what's going on will think it's just some dumb translation.

But it's recent and very friendly to newcomers. It's linear but not restrictively so. You know what to do next and there are things to do if you want to take a break from the main quest. It feels like a modern game in design, even if the voice acting is dated.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omega said:

Dragon Quest is a great rpg series to get into as a beginner because unlike most jrpg's you keep all experience and levels gained when you die. No need to restart from an old save instead you respawn at the closest church and are penalized half of your money on you, but you wont have it on you anyway since you can deposit it into the bank for safe keeping.

So yeah Dragon Quest or Paper Mario or hell the Stick of Truth is pretty good if you're a South Park fan.

I can not believe so many people say DQ8. Yes it is a great game but i is vey very difficult. Especially the beginning can be very frustrating for a new player.

DylanGW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By DylanGW

@darji: don't you think after playing Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy X he'll be ready for it? DQ8 was my first jrpg, and although it was difficult, it was an unforgettable experience. I agree that he should at least play Chrono Trigger before DQ8; I can't think of a better introduction to the genre.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#70  Edited By Hailinel

@darji said:

@omega said:

I can not believe so many people say DQ8. Yes it is a great game but i is vey very difficult. Especially the beginning can be very frustrating for a new player.

Eh, the beginning of that game isn't that hard. It just requires a lot of grinding on slimes right out of the gate.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Darji

@dylangw: Since I think Chrono trigger is a bad game at least for me I would not agree with that at all^^

Personally I think Suikoden V is the best choice in terms of battle since this is a game you can even do use auto battle and easily win except a few fights. Also the story and characters are very very good as well. If you want more presentation I definitely would go with FFX. In my opinion the actually best JRPG to introduce new player to JRPGs in general.

lun49gameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started to venture into the jrpg genre a couple months back after I had seen the persona 4 endurance run and really had fun watching vinny and jeff do silly stuff. Then I got a vita and wanted to buy a game and was almost going to get P4 until I realized that maybe it wouldnt be as fun after I had seen the whole story. I then thought about getting Persona 3 but did not because I did not want to suffer through the grinding and going through each floor killing monster after monster. The only thing that I really loved was the social aspect in the game and the story. Ultimately, I bought FF7 on the PC, maybe this was a mistake because the best way to play is on a playstation platform not a pc. I started the game and then said "What the F is this blocky shit", obviously I had to give the game a chance but after 2 hours I really did not enjoy my time. So then two months later I tried to give the jrpg genre another chance, I had recently bought an xbox 360 and had been on the xbox store when I spotted FF 13. I did my research and found out that the game had scored good, the reviewers liked the battle system and felt the story was ok but they criticized it for being too linear. What did really put me off from it was that every single person said there was not much interaction between the character and the world and the big reason, the first couple of hours is like a tutorial. So I didn't buy it and instead bough FF8 for vita and after I played it for about 3 hours I totally forgot about it. So now in the present day I gave it one last chance and bought FF X HD and I am totally loving it. I really like the atmosphere of the world and the characters are very likable. I also enjoy the battle system and I do feel that the voice over Is kinda not that great. I have been annoyed by small things such as the pauses during some conversations and I really did not know how to use the sphere grid even after I read the tutorial 2 times. I would recommend it to beginners and I myself have already spent about 11 hours in the game and plan on beating it.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Tyrrael

#@hailinel: First, I loved XIII and XIII-2. I just felt like that needed to be said, since my contempt for Lightning Returns could be compounded by just how much worse it was from the first two, at least in my opinion. I know there are a lot of people out there that really like it, and I wanted to be one of them so much considering how much I liked the first two. In the end, however, it just didn't do it for me. I could write a book on all the problems I have with the game, but I don't want to waste your time nor have you think that I'm baiting you into an argument. You probably either didn't think the things I thought were problem were actually problems, or if you did, you didn't think they were as big a problem as I did. Either way, I hope you have fun with it. I, on the other hand, finished it once, and have no desire whatsoever to play it again. It's a shame too, since the only two games I platinumed on my PS3 were XIII and XIII-2, because I wanted to play them more. I was really expecting this game to be the same, but I just hated so many things about it, it would be a waste of my time to even consider it.

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm happy but a bit dismayed that Grandia isn't mentioned more. Grandia 1 and 2 are great. Extreme and 3 while a bit lacking was still great.

Ive yet to see any love for the only Final Fantasy worth mentioning which is FF9 and for any one who wishes to tell me other wise can piss off. I don't like most of the cast of a lot of "the Best Final Fanstasy Ever". Also, yes I get the love for Dragon Quest games and I recognized their history but for someone who may be tired of the Toriyama look and a lot of jrpg tropes I just didn't care for it not too mention I'm all too tired of the voiceless main character trope and teens save the god damn world again...

For good jrpg type games I'd suggest looking out for Valkyria Chronicles, The Tales of series is pretty good (check out Legendia), Star Ocean: Till The End Of Time, the Xenosaga series (If you are ready for some MGS length cutsences). Demon/Dark Souls is another great suggestion as with even the Yakuza series.

Also tooPrime gets my love for mentioning Phantasy Star 2. Seriously if you want to try a JRPG try something that isn't the industry standard of fan accepted JRPG. The ones that seem lauded by fans I have often found to be the most boring/predictable game around.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a995178e28eb
deactivated-5a995178e28eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you watched the quick look of FF X/X-2 HD then you have a lot of the game spoiled for you already so forget about that one. (Though you're missing out on the second best FF game imo)

I recommend Dragon Quest VIII. It's pretty simple for the most part, and it has a fantastic story considering how simple it is. That game is fucking bruuutal at times, though. At least it was for me. Very grindy.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I have seen it mentioned yet so let me be the first. Radiata Stories is a great Jrpg to start out with. The combat system is super fun and it has a lot of sidequests. It's also one the few Jrpgs that let you change your characters appearance when you equip armour. The artstyle is also pretty rad in my opinion but it's a love it or hate it thing because it's really anime looking.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezakael: Radiata Stories is like the ideal mobile/casual game or something that came out years before all that shit existed; lots of weird social/exploration elements and possibly the simplest combat imaginable; doesn't really teach you how to play any other JRPG. It's definitely an interesting game though, provided you use a guide.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezakael: Radiata Stories is like the ideal mobile/casual game or something that came out years before all that shit existed; lots of weird social/exploration elements and possibly the simplest combat imaginable; doesn't really teach you how to play any other JRPG. It's definitely an interesting game though, provided you use a guide.

I won't argue that the game is simplistic but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's like a mobile game. The combat is very similar to Star Ocean: Til the End of Times combat with the addition of different weapon types to help make it more interesting.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

If you have a 3DS, try out Mario & Luigi Dream Team.

DylanGW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By DylanGW

@jjor64: even if he has a 3DS I'd still recommend Partner's in Time [or] Browsers Inside Story over Dream Team. I don't even like the way Dream Team looks.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A game no one has mentioned yet and was my personal first jrpg after Pokemon is Breath of Fire III. The game is a PS1 game but it is all sprite based except the background using some 3D geometry with sprite based textures. It is a large step up from snes quality sprites and holds up well. There also some great animations in the game. The one that especially comes to mind is the hero attack animation. He starts out a kid just failing his sword around but eventually he starts to hold and swing it properly until he eventually grows up and swings it with style.

The combat of the game is standard turn based jrpg fair. It has a couple of unique systems like battle formations that confer certain bonuses and penalties. But these bells and whistles can kind of be ignored since the game is fairly easy. Some of the bosses would be a challenge if not for the fact that the main character can TURN INTO A DRAGON! Basically if you save up enough ap on the main character, his dragon form can destroy bosses in a couple rounds. The dragon system is cool as it allows you to combine different genes to get different dragon forms with different stats and abilities.

The leveling up system is also fairly basic you gain levels and your characters get stats. There is not need to worry about stat allocation or anything complex like that. However that does not mean you can't customize your characters. First there is the master system in which certain npcs will let a character apprentice under them. After gaining a few levels under the master you can talk to them to learn new skills and abilities. Most masters also confer level up modifier to your levels so you get something like +2 Str and -1 Int for every level on top of your predetermined stat gains. So there is really room to dig in an optimize your party if you want or just grab the skills off the masters and leave. Since the game is not that hard. There is also the item Skill ink which allows you to swap abilities between characters.

The story of the game is also great. It ranks up quite highly on my list for best jrpg stories. There are some genuinely great twists in the plot. Also don't need to worry about the III as there the game is unrelated to the first two except for some mild references. The game takes place in a medieval type setting but with some ancient advanced technology strew about. You start the game as a baby dragon who woke up from a crystal cocoon. Eventually you are wounded and take on the form of a human child. You taken in by a pair a thieves. Most of the beginning game is just about you surviving. Eventually you start to unravel the greater mysteries of the world such as what happened to the rest of the dragons, what is up with all this advanced technology, and what is up with this God you keep hearing about. Also the game features a time skip in the middle which is super interesting narrative wise. One it allows your main character to grow up and two it allows you to see all the consequences of your actions as a kid.That's not even talking about your party who are all interesting, well rounded characters with development. Yes even the sentient onion gets some mind blowing character development. Ok so Nina gets zero development.

So overall is is a great looking game with a great story. It has a simple battle system but it allows tinker and tweak your characters if you want to get deeper with it. It is also is fairly easyr. The game is also about mid length of an rpg at about 40-50 hours. It is a great jrpg and a great beginner jrpg.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I think Chrono Trigger is a good middle-ground.

I also love (love, love) Super Mario RPG, but I also think you get more out of it if you are a fan of Mario and have some experience with the Final Fantasy series. There is quite a bit of humor in that game that comes from making digs at one series or the other.

I know that you wanted games PS2 or later, but if you are going the Final Fantasy route, I would honestly pick some of the older games, like VI or IX. If you want one of the more modern ones, go with XII.

(and I know I'm in the minority here, but I cannot believe how many people are recommending X. I've never been able to figure out why people like it so much)

Avatar image for pistolpackinpoet
PistolPackinPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

bravely default and dark souls

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezakael: Star Ocean has a ton of depth and complexity to it, Radiata Stories isn't even close to it except for being made by Tri-Ace.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@dylangw: I enjoyed Dream Team more then Partners in Time. I think PiT is the weakest of the series.

climax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Super Mario RPG

Paper Mario

South Park: Stick of Truth

Avatar image for deactivated-5914f5c50a1c5
deactivated-5914f5c50a1c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just realized I was misinformed regarding X's price. Someone told me I could buy it alone for $20 don't know where he got that from, but I won't be paying $40 for a another game I know I'll never play. So, I'll probably move onto either IV, VI, VII, or IX after Chrono Trigger. I still really appreciate the suggestions though. Also, I've watched some footage of Dragon Quest VIII, and that game really does look amazing, particularly for a PS2 game. The simplistic cel-shaded art style ages so well, much like Wind Waker. I'll definitely be playing that at some junction, along with many others mentioned in this thread. Thanks again.

Oh, I've also played the Souls games, but I don't know if I'd necessarily call them traditional JRPGs. I'd say they're more like ARPGs. Fantastic games though.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xenogears

Final Fantasy VII

Star Ocean

Chrono Trigger

Chrono Cross