Good Mystery Games

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 2

I very much enjoy a game that has a plot I can think about and try to solve or has a lot of twists in it. Just wanted recommendations on good games centered around this, preferably something on PS3 but not limited. Was just thinking about the ending to Bioshock Infinite and how awesome that was. I enjoy horror and more paranormal stuff but I guess more along the lines of Lovecraftian stuff instead of ghosts. I have the Penumbra games on PC, somehow deleted my save so haven't got back into them. Also have Amnesia and System Shock 2.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Coafi

I recommend:

• Heavy Rain (sort of mystery; a lot QTE)
  • L.A. Noire

There's also a lot wacky adventure games that also fall into the mystery category such as, The 7th Guest and Phantasmagoria both on PC.

But, if you're into more horror than mystery, I recommend:

• Siren
  • Silent Hill 2
bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cant recommend Wolf Among Us enough. I dont even read comics but I loooove how it looks, and as crazy as the overall concept is they play it so straight you immediately buy in. Pretty good mystery in there too. Not Lovecraftian per se but there are some gnarly looking monsters in there, and it does have that "otherworld hidden within the real world" thing going.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Spoonman671

I'd like to echo @bargainben's praise for The Wolf Among Us. I feel that most of the criticism of the game is a direct result of it's episodic format. I played through the game all at once, and found it very satisfying.

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want striaght mystery then L.A. Noire is the way to go. If you want something more horror-related I guess you could jump into Bioshock 1 since you like Infinite.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coafi said:

I recommend:

• Heavy Rain (sort of mystery; a lot QTE)
  • L.A. Noire

There's also a lot wacky adventure games that also fall into the mystery category such as, The 7th Guest and Phantasmagoria both on PC.

But, if you're into more horror than mystery, I recommend:

• Siren
  • Silent Hill 2

Heavy Rain is one of my favorites. Haven't played L.A. Noire yet but have wanted too. Same with Silent Hill 2 but I actually own that. Siren looks freaky, I think I demoed it.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cant recommend Wolf Among Us enough. I dont even read comics but I loooove how it looks, and as crazy as the overall concept is they play it so straight you immediately buy in. Pretty good mystery in there too. Not Lovecraftian per se but there are some gnarly looking monsters in there, and it does have that "otherworld hidden within the real world" thing going.

I'll give that a try, I liked where it was going with the demo, still need to get the Walking Dead as well. Think those would be good games to sort of coop with my wife.

Avatar image for deactivated-5998b7e12fabb
deactivated-5998b7e12fabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterbrief: I wonder if you have a DS? I know you're not looking for ghosts but Ghost Trick is a fantastic game with has a great story and some good twists. It's certainly worth a look IMO.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By baka_shinji17

If you don't mind point-and-click adventures, then check out Jane Jensen's Gray Matter. The supernatural elements of the story are very subdued, instead it focuses on the two main characters. It's a bit on the short side but pretty good overall.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Heavy Rain and L.A. Noir are good suggestions.

If you have a GameCube you should track down Eternal Darkness.

Monty_vaca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Ditto on Ghost Trick, also if you have a DS, there always the Phoenix Wright Games and the 999/Zero Escape series. And while not strictly solely a mystery game, you can't go wrong with Deadly Premonition when looking for crazy twists and turns.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Persona 4 is available on PSN!

Other than that, nothing comes to mind. I imagine five or six things will come to mind about half an hour from now.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Any of the Sherlock Holmes games?

TheFakePsychic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By TheFakePsychic

I'd recommend Persona 4, L.A. Noire, and the Yakuza series.

Especially Yakuza 4. It's easily one of my favorite games of all time, and the mystery it presents is probably only second to Persona 4 in terms of what I would consider the best mystery writing in games.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By afabs515

999/Virtue's Last Reward are the two best visual novels/mystery games I have ever played.

If you're in the mood for something a bit lighter in tone, the Ace Attorney series is great too and is still ongoing. As someone above me pointed out, the original trilogy and the most recent entry, Dual Destinies, are on iOS. My dad's actually playing through them right now haha.

LA Noire is pretty good, but there are some bad design choices in it, like the way you don't get to see the whole story for a case if you don't play it EXACTLY the way you're supposed to. Also, the interrogations in that feel worse to me than the AA cross-examinations.

Finally, as people have pointed out, Persona 4 is a fantastic game which, in my opinion, deserves all the praise it gets and then some. Just be aware if you don't already know that it's a JRPG first and a mystery second.

Good luck making you suggestion duder! There's a ton of great games out there.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I know some people were saying that Murdered: Soul Suspect game was supposed to be kind of interesting, but I haven't played it myself so I can't say for sure.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I really like most of the games mentioned. I'm also really fond of And Then There Were None, which might be a little hard to find. It's a fairly straightforward game, but it takes a great novel and makes it into a good game. There are a few changes made to the plot to keep things interesting for people who've already read the novel, but their creative license is perfectly acceptable.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By SomeDeliCook

LA Noire was cool, but ehhh it's hard to explain how it wasn't really a mystery without flat out spoiling the whole game.

At least in reference to the Black Dahlia/Homicide desk

The atmosphere was fantastic, the motion capture is still pretty good, and investigating crime scenes is still a blast. The setting and set pieces are also really good and thrusting you into the world. The interrogations were what stopped me from finishing it the month it came out. I think it took 6 months for me to beat it because it took me too long to grasp Doubt and Lie, even though in hindsight it is so simple. The fact the game plays a musical cue to let you know you totally FUCKED UP the choice would piss me off and I would not pay attention to whatever was happening because I was so fixated on getting it wrong. I ended up just taking out a guide and coming up with my own answer and then looking at the guide to see if I was right or not and then just choose the right answer. I also thought a lot of the character models looked too similar, since faces would lack crisp textures and kind of blend into another. I suck I know.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Alan Wake. It's less Lovecraft and more Stephen King/Twilight Zone but it's still a really great paranormal action horror game with some weird twists.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I'd say the Ace Attorney games, usually the cases are a who-dunit kinda thing.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterbrief: I wonder if you have a DS? I know you're not looking for ghosts but Ghost Trick is a fantastic game with has a great story and some good twists. It's certainly worth a look IMO.

No I don't. There is some cool stuff on there though like that Dementium or whatever.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes was thinking about that. Those guys are doing a new Call of Cthulhu aren't they? Might see if they have a collection on steam, that CoC one looks cool.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure if it qualifies exactly, but Gone Home?

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By amafi

@monkeyman04 said:

Was about to say.

I've played all of them since the early 90s FMV ones to crimes and punishment. They're not great games, but they're good at what they do.

Also, the microids game Post Mortem and the sequel Still Life.

I'm also really looking forward to The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

BambamCZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BambamCZ

The Sherlock Holmes games are decent, my favourite is Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened... Cthulhu f'taghn and everything. But really that one is probably if you ask me the best Sherlock Holmes game so far, even if Testament is really good too. Other's I'd mention are Post Mortem and Still Life games.

More swinging towards horror direction is the Silent Hill franchise, Lone Survivor which is essentially a Silent Hill game in 2D with just as twisted and weird as its inspiration. The last one I'd say if you want mystery try Home, it is a game with open narrative that lets you decide upon finding clues what might have happened and string together from those pieces a story of what happened.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say stay as far away from L.A Noire as possible but that's just me. Alan Wake is ok I guess?? Outlast kind of involves figuring out what's going on at the asylum but the mystery doesn't last long...

I really enjoyed The Wolf Among Us too.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

#28  Edited By wumbo3000

Ace Attorney and/or Ghost Trick. Both games have some of the best story, characters, and plot twists in all of video games.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By amafi
Avatar image for deactivated-5998b7e12fabb
deactivated-5998b7e12fabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterbrief: Well, Ghost Trick is available on iOS as far as I know. You can try the first chapter for free I believe. I've not played that version but it could still be worth a look.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gone Home, Fez, Dark/Demon Souls - if you consider the world being a mystery enough to persevere through it.

Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy)

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If you haven't played the first Bioshock, then I highly recommend it. Another city wrapped in mystery. Gone Home follows a similar storytelling structure to the Bioshock games. Also, Hotline Miami has a bizarre and somewhat Lynchian story. And if you don't mind a little challenge, Dark Souls has a surprisingly elaborate story.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you haven't played the first Bioshock, then I highly recommend it. Another city wrapped in mystery. Gone Home follows a similar storytelling structure to the Bioshock games. Also, Hotline Miami has a bizarre and somewhat Lynchian story. And if you don't mind a little challenge, Dark Souls has a surprisingly elaborate story.

Yeah Bioshock was incredible. Are there other games styled like Gone Home but with a maybe more strange/super natural mystery behind it? I'm sure there's a ton of stuff on PC. Not sure I can run much since I just have this lackluster laptop at the moment. Maybe even mods.

saikana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By saikana

The Blackwell games by Wadjet Eye are pretty amazing! They are well written mystery solving point and click adventure games! Especially if you want something on the supernatural side that does not have crazy PC requirements.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but Hotel Dusk: Room 215 is pretty great. Cool art style too.