#1 Posted by Encephalon (1242 posts) -

OK, help me out, guys. My nephew is coming out to where I live for the summer. He is reportedly a gamer, so I'm giving him my old PS2 Slim for summer funtimes. Sadly, I don't know what kind of games he likes, and his mother can't tell me because she doesn't understand games.

So I turn to you, GB community. I'm looking for quality age-appropriate PS2 games that will keep a 12-year-old's attention. I don't want to give him shit games, but I also don't want his mom to think I'm shaping him into a sociopath. Oh, and please no impassioned arguments on how violent games don't make violent people. He's not my kid, I don't make the calls on how he's raised.

Some examples. I've already got my eye on the Lego games, Jak and Daxter, and Okami. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Make me proud.

#2 Posted by MattadorD (70 posts) -

Maybe the Kingdom Hearts series. I don't know if the light RPG elements would be too much for what sounds like a new player or as a 12 year old he would be too old or cool for Disney stuff.

#3 Edited by RubberFactory (288 posts) -
#4 Posted by Lava (665 posts) -

Ratchet and Clank

#5 Posted by sarahsdad (1087 posts) -

@RubberFactory said:

Any of the Ratchet and Clank games or Jak and Daxter games.

Two thumbs up for Ratchet and Clank. those games were a riot. One of the things I miss, having gone traded my ps2 towards a 360 years ago.

#6 Posted by Irvandus (2876 posts) -

Ratchet and Clank, can't go wrong there.

#7 Edited by Yummylee (21496 posts) -

Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga.

#8 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

FFX is good.in depth but good. how bout star wars battlefront?every one loves star wars.also spider man 2. prob the best comic book game next to the arkham games.

#9 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Sly Cooper. Never played the first, but 2 is amazing and 3 is pretty good, too.

#10 Posted by Sean2206 (264 posts) -

I'm going to say Kingdom hearts series as well as long as he's not "too cool" for Disney stuff he should be fine, I played the shit out of those games when i was 12 and I don't remember them being overly complicated or difficult to understand in terms of RPG mechanics. Of course the Jak and Daxter and Ratchet & Clank games as well as others have said but I'd also recommend Gran Turismo or Burnout 3 if he likes racing games or maybe Guitar hero 2 (or 3 if it was on PS2) those are pretty fun.

#11 Posted by GunstarRed (5115 posts) -

Ratchet/Jak/Sly. Okami possibly, I mean it's just like a Zelda game and I could have handled that at 12.

We <3 katamari.

#12 Posted by LiquidPrince (15908 posts) -

Amnesia the Dark Descent. Oh, PS2. Oh, 12 year old. Prince of Persia?

#13 Edited by captain_clayman (3320 posts) -

all 3 sly cooper games, but that's a given. maybe psychonauts too, it's reminiscent of a good cartoon. there's actually this spongebob game that's not too bad that i enjoyed when i was 12, called spongebob: battle for bikini bottom. it's basically super mario 64 but with spongebob. because you know, kids are into spongebob. the ty the tasmanian tiger series is alright too. the first tak and the power of juju is alright too. katamari damaci is fun too. i enjoyed the sonic mega collection when i was his age, never beat any of them but enjoyed them.

maybe give him some ps1 games too, crash bandicoot and spyro are awesome.

EDIT: maybe star wars battlefront, it's a shooter but it's not super violent, and it's star wars.

#14 Posted by jking47 (1209 posts) -

LSD, really the only option here.

#15 Posted by captain_clayman (3320 posts) -

@LiquidPrince said:

Amnesia the Dark Descent. Oh, PS2. Oh, 12 year old. Prince of Persia?

those games are hard...but not too hard for a 12 year old with tons of free time.

#16 Posted by Tokoname (28 posts) -

I looked through my PS2 collection and.... FFX, FFXII, Okami, Dragon Quest VIII, and maybe Shadow of the Colossus? The rest of my games seemed either too dark or violent, I guess.

If you really want to raise him up right, you'll just hand him a copy of Persona 4 and send him on his way.

#17 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@DoctorDanger99 said:

FFX is good.in depth but good. how bout star wars battlefront?every one loves star wars.also spider man 2. prob the best comic book game next to the arkham games.

Yeah, FF10 was my first FF and it is easily the most newbie friendly one IMO. Not to hard like FF13 and not to damn complex either like some of the first FF's. Just right!

Oh and get him Viewtiful Joe. Kick ass game series right there! Oh, and don't get him Odin Sphere... that game is hard as hell.

#18 Edited by believer258 (11785 posts) -
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Ratchet and Clank (particularly Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal) (some subtly crude humor)
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2
  • Manhunt
  • Gran Turismo 4
  • Devil May Cry 3 (some language and a bit of blood)
  • Jak and Daxter (some language)

None of those are any worse than Shrek as far as crude humor or dirty language goes.

#19 Posted by egg (1455 posts) -
  • Ace Combat 4
  • Ridge Racer V
  • Sonic Unleashed
#20 Posted by Zacagawea (1589 posts) -

Sly motherfucking Cooper. All of them, they're amazing.

#21 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@believer258 said:

• Kingdom Hearts
  • Ratchet and Clank (particularly Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal) (some subtly crude humor)
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Manhunt
  • Gran Turismo 4

None of those are any worse than Shrek as far as crude humor or dirty language goes.

Uh... playing through DMC3 myself and I gotta say it has ALOT of blood and stuff. Also the fact that the nightmarish monster may give kids nightmares... mainly the devil trigger form since it was made by teh Shin Megami Tensei guys so they could put Dante in Nocturne.

#22 Posted by swfcfan (264 posts) -

@Encephalon said:

Oh, and please no impassioned arguments on how violent games don't make violent people. He's not my kid, I don't make the calls on how he's raised.

What about an impassioned argument on kids not staying indoors playing video games? ;)

#23 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

SSX Tricky and SSX 3.

#24 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Final Fantasy X.

#25 Posted by Stonyman65 (2671 posts) -

Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Jack and Dexter, any Final Fantasy game, Kingdom Hearts.. I don't think any of the Tomb Raider series would be too bad. It's basically Indiana Jones but with a chick with huge tits. The Need For Speed series is cool if he likes racing...

That's about all I can think of without getting into the violent stuff.

#26 Edited by Wraxend (562 posts) -

Burnout 3: Takedown and Burnout Revenge.

#27 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

Need For Speed Most Wanted, Star Wars Battlefront II (probably the first as well, they're both great games), Champions of Norrath, Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires, Godzilla: Save The Earth, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, 007: Agent Under Fire, Ace Combat 4, Guitar Hero 1, 2 and 3, the .Hack games, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3, Medal of Honor: Rising Sun, NFL Street 2.

I bolded the ones that I think are least offensive and not too terribly violent or bloody, but ultimately what you should do is have his mother watch you play a bunch of these games and either allow or veto the ones she thinks look appropriate. She may know nothing about video games, but she'll know what she thinks looks too violent or mature.

#28 Posted by Redbullet685 (6034 posts) -

The Sly games are great. Timesplitters 2 isn't so bad for a 12 year old and one of my favorite games.

@believer258 said:

• Manhunt

Oh you.

#29 Posted by kratos (208 posts) -

Bully

#30 Edited by Cubical (637 posts) -

devil may cry 3 god of war 2.

#31 Posted by razkazz (169 posts) -
  • SSX 3
  • Red Faction II
  • The Punisher
  • Star Wars: Bounty Hunter
  • X-Men Legends 2: Rise Of Apocalypse
  • Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
  • Ico
  • Soul Calibur II
  • Rogue Trooper
  • Primal
  • Resident Evil: Code Veronica X
  • Quake III: Revolution
  • Burnout 3: Takedown
  • Star Wars: Battlefront 2
#32 Posted by Vexxan (4618 posts) -

Kingdom Hearts, Ratchet and Clank, Okami.

#33 Posted by TobbRobb (4596 posts) -

Jak and Daxter and Ratchet is what's up. I highly recommend the first game in both series as appropriate for EVERYONE.

Maybe Kingdom Hearts? Uhm, Final Fantasy X?

#34 Edited by SaFt (383 posts) -

Jak and daxter would be a fantastic choice. Ape Escape 2 is pretty damn good, too.

#35 Posted by Groundings (77 posts) -

The Naruto games if he is into anime and Persona 4.

#36 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1633 posts) -

I''ll just step in and say: Gitaroo Man

#37 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (727 posts) -

Manhunt.

#38 Posted by Marcsman (3177 posts) -

Dark Cloud 2

#39 Posted by Cubical (637 posts) -

the rare ps2 port of rapelay

#40 Posted by moffattron9000 (352 posts) -

Klonoa 2 is an amazing game so that. Also be aware that he will probably moan that is isn't Call Of Duty, and that it is an old console.

#41 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2025 posts) -

I remember really liking how the Spider-Man games for PS2 were kinda open world. The gameplay was quite alright, too, so he should be able to appreciate it!

#42 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -
#43 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

@believer258 said:

• Kingdom Hearts
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Manhunt
  • Gran Turismo 4

I see what you did there...

#44 Posted by Hunkulese (2695 posts) -

Madden 12

#45 Posted by deox (210 posts) -

I know it's been said a few time already but the Ratchet and Clank games are a must, I had a ton of fun with them. The Sly Cooper series is great as well.

#46 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

If he were older, I would say Onimusha 3, because that game is incredible. But I don't think his parents will approve of him playing an 18.

#47 Posted by Halos_god (160 posts) -