#1 Posted by MrAriscottle (256 posts) -

Hey I'm looking for an RPG for my PSP which I got recently, and I'm not really sure what to check out. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions? What are some of your favourites?

I'm open to any kind of RPG, so just throw some ideas out there for me to look into further because if I'm being honest, I don't even know where to start looking.  

#2 Edited by JJWeatherman (14485 posts) -
#3 Posted by SpiralStairs (1020 posts) -

Lunar is pretty good, if you can get over the annoying load times. I don't know if the PSN version fixes it.

#4 Posted by Damodar (1155 posts) -
#5 Posted by RecSpec (3679 posts) -
#7 Posted by MrAriscottle (256 posts) -
#8 Posted by JJWeatherman (14485 posts) -
#9 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2780 posts) -

Dunno if it counts as an rpg but Jeanne d'arc is pretty fun.
#10 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

P3P.

#11 Posted by ProfessorEss (7123 posts) -

I've been playing Level 5's Jeanne D'Arc. It's one of those tile-based, tactical RPGs.

I'm not real far in it but it's been pretty fun.

#12 Posted by RVonE (4479 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @RVonE said:
"
Star Ocean: First Departure 
Star Ocean: Second Evolution 
Tales of Eternia "
If someone like say, myself, was planning to play one of those Star Ocean games, which one's better? Does it matter which order I start? I've never really played a Star Ocean game, but I've always wanted to. "

Well, the Star Ocean games all take place in the same universe. Star Ocean 2 takes place a couple of decades after the first game, so there is some continuity there. However, I feel that it isn't necessary to play all games in order and I'd recommend the second game over the first one any day of the week. I would say this: if you can tolerate Japanese character design and storytelling conventions, the character develoment and story progression in the Star Ocean games are above par to say the least. They all start out really slow, though, and you'll need to invest a substantial amount of time to get hooked. If you are willing to look beyond the PSP, I'd say Star Ocean: Till the End of Time is best in series and wholly worth your time.
#13 Posted by MysteriousBob (6273 posts) -

Are there any good real RPGS on the PSP or DS? JRPGs barely qualify and role playing games- they're too linear.

#14 Posted by JJWeatherman (14485 posts) -
@RVonE said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @RVonE said:
"
Star Ocean: First Departure 
Star Ocean: Second Evolution 
Tales of Eternia "
If someone like say, myself, was planning to play one of those Star Ocean games, which one's better? Does it matter which order I start? I've never really played a Star Ocean game, but I've always wanted to. "

Well, the Star Ocean games all take place in the same universe. Star Ocean 2 takes place a couple of decades after the first game, so there is some continuity there. However, I feel that it isn't necessary to play all games in order and I'd recommend the second game over the first one any day of the week. I would say this: if you can tolerate Japanese character design and storytelling conventions, the character develoment and story progression in the Star Ocean games are above par to say the least. They all start out really slow, though, and you'll need to invest a substantial amount of time to get hooked. If you are willing to look beyond the PSP, I'd say Star Ocean: Till the End of Time is best in series and wholly worth your time. "
Alright cool. I found a copy of the PS2 game on amazon for $9 (including shipping!), so I'll definitely get and play that at some point. If I start a PSP version, it'll probably be the second one. Thanks for the help.
#15 Posted by RVonE (4479 posts) -
@JJWeatherman:
Sure thing. Just a note of caution: Till the End of Time has some branching story lines, so check with a walkthrough if you care about that.
#16 Edited by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

I've played a shit ton of RPGs on the PSP.......

If you like a strategy RPG, the two Disgaea games and Jeanne D'arc are excellent. Then there's Persona 3 Portable, which gives you a traditional turn-based JRPG battle system with a very unique setting and story. 

I also liked Brave Story: New Traveler which offered a very traditional JRPG experience. Nothing new there, but I was interested enough to finish it.

Lunar: Silver Star Harmony is also a more traditional JRPG game, but very well done. 

Also enjoyed Star Ocean: First Departure. It was the first Star Ocean game I had ever played, and I found the story to be very unique and different from what I was expecting from a JRPG.

There's also Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony and  Untold Legend: Brotherhood of the Blade, which are the Diablo sort of loot filled RPG games. 

I didn't like FF VII: Crisis Core AT ALL, but it seems it's just me, so let's skip that one
Final Fantasy IX is on PSN as well, best one in the series in my opinion.

Stay tuned for Valkyria Chronicles 2

#17 Posted by RVonE (4479 posts) -
#18 Posted by KANNIGGIT (16 posts) -

Jeanne D'arc is the best game on the PSP IMHO. Besides that, a lot of middling RPGs (have not playing P3P on PSP, was awesome on PS2).

#19 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

I would also check out Crimson Gem Saga. I have that game on the iPhone and it's pretty good on there. I haven't played it on the PSP, but they said it's the same so I'm assuming it's also good.

#20 Edited by Axersia (1612 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:

Alright cool. I found a copy of the PS2 game on amazon for $9 (including shipping!), so I'll definitely get and play that at some point. If I start a PSP version, it'll probably be the second one. Thanks for the help. "

You should probably know that Star Ocean 3 has a pretty significant plottwist that effects every other game in the series and may ruin them for some people. I personally loved that plottwist, but I'll never look at Star Ocean games in the same way and it definitely affected how I approached Star Ocean 4's storyline.

Anyway, my personal PSP recommendations:

Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
Half-Minute Hero
Dissidia
PoPoLoCrois
Tales of Eternia
Breath of Fire III
Jeanne d'Arc
Untold Legends: The Warrior's Code

If I had to pick just one I'd recommend Birth by Sleep (my favorite game of the year), but that game won't be out in the west until a few weeks from now so you're gonna have to pay full price for it. If you want something cheaper I'd recommend PoPoLoCrois.

Not many people seem to know that game exists, but it's easily in my top 5 favorite turn-based RPGs of all time. Just make sure you have a PSP 3000 to play it on because the loading times and ghosting effects are unbearable on any older model. On the PSP 3000 though, the graphics are extremely sharp (it also doesn't suffer from interlacing issues like many other 2D games) and there's virtually no loading.
#21 Posted by futrstyl (19 posts) -

Another vote for Jeanne D'Arc. I'm playing that right now and it's very engrossing. Good story, good gameplay. 

#22 Posted by MrGarfieldMan (2 posts) -

Here some of the RPGs I'm playing at the minute, there all good IMO and I keep switching between them.

PSP;

Kingdom Heart Birth By Sleep

Phantasy Star Portable 1 or 2

White Knight Chronicles Origins

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

Sega Genesis Collection (For Phantasy Star 2,3 and 4)

Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy II

Final Fantasy III (This is an ISO I had to download - Ask me if you want me to send link if you want to check it out - It's the same as the DS Version with updated graphics)

Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection

Dissidia Final Fantasy 012

Star Ocean

Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII

(Don't know if I can class this as an RPG, but it's and enjoyable hunting game) Gods Eater Burst

PS1;

Final Fantasy V

Final Fantasy VI

Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy VIII

Final Fantasy IX

(I like Final Fantasy)

If your a CFW user I recommend getting a GBA Emulator, they have great RPGs.

#23 Posted by Sanity (1853 posts) -

Talk of emulation and custom firmware is against forum rules. Not trying to be a dick, but just saying its not really discussed here.

#24 Posted by MrGarfieldMan (2 posts) -

@dudy80: I understand, Thanks for telling me, much appreciated.