#1 Posted by HeavyRain44 (1 posts) -

As you can guess I'm a huge heavy rain fan and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for other great story oriented games?

#2 Posted by believer258 (11948 posts) -

Do you mean "games that have little gameplay but a massive story focus" or just plain "good games with a good story"?

If the former, then The Walking Dead. If the latter, then Chrono Trigger.

#3 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4683 posts) -

The Walking Dead, To the Moon, Katawa Shoujo.

#4 Edited by Raven10 (1804 posts) -

@immortalsaiyan said:

The Walking Dead, To the Moon, Katawa Shoujo.

That pretty much is the best answer. I'll also add 999 and its sequel. Haven't played them but everyone says they are great and they fit your description.

EDIT: They are kind of annoying old adventure games, but The Longest Journey and Dreamfall both have really good stories without much of a focus on gameplay.

#5 Edited by BeachThunder (11986 posts) -

I have played 999 and its sequel and <3

Also; Planescape Torment, Grim Fandango, Ghost Trick, BioShock, Braid.

#6 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Indigo Prophecy

#7 Posted by madman356647 (272 posts) -

I'd second Indigo Prophecy (made by same people, and was pretty good IMO). To add: Dreamfall was pretty good, but felt more like an interactive movie (dunno if that's a dealbreaker for you). Otherwise, the Phoenix Wright games also do a lot of story basing, as does The Walking Dead (I haven't played it yet, but it's on the list).

#8 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

Planescape: Torment is the story based game. Play that.

#9 Edited by Rorie (2930 posts) -

Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer. Bit complicated to get into if you've never played NWN2, but a hell of a story, especially if you're into the DND universe.

Staff
#10 Edited by TobbRobb (4663 posts) -

Psst. Go play Nier.

EDIT: No wait you liked Heavy Rain for the STORY. Sorry, can't help you.

#11 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6229 posts) -

I'm a bit sad that MTV's Club Dead hasn't been mentioned once in here. That shit deserved all the Oscars. Best foreign film? MTV's Club Dead. Best animated short? Club Dead. Best sandwich? Club Dead.

I think a lot of great games have been named, but I'll throw in Full Throttle, the Gabriel Knight series, and Dear Esther. If you're an Agatha Christie and Sherlock Holmes fan, I recommend checking out And Then There Were None, Orient Express, and some of the more highly rated Sherlock Holmes games. The gameplay leaves a lot to be desired in those games, so be cautious about a purchase, but they're at least worht a look.

#12 Edited by audioBusting (1564 posts) -

Ace Attorney. Cart Life. Digital: A Love Story and Analogue: A Hate Story. Kentucky Route Zero...?

edit: and of course, Omikron. Actually, Blade Runner is a good story-based game too now that I think about it.

#13 Edited by Extincts (1 posts) -

-Lucius

-Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

-bioshock infinite

-Catherine