#1 Edited by Gnomicidal (97 posts) -

Getting tired of in-ear headphones sucking up earwax. What's a good over-the-ear, non-Beats alternative?

#2 Edited by MB (13300 posts) -

Bose QC-15 if you can afford them, they run around $300. I own a pair of those and a pair of the QC-20's. Comfortable, sound great, and noise cancelation so effective it's almost unnerving.

#3 Posted by ch3burashka (5310 posts) -

People wearing over-the-ear outside strikes me as douchebag-y, every single time. Don't know why.

I mainly stick to in-ear; buy cheap Skullcandy, use it for 2 months until it starts crackling, buy another one, and return the old one in its place.

#4 Edited by Ben_H (3471 posts) -

Closed or open? On the ear or completely covering the ear?

You could go the Jeff Green method and get a set of Koss Porta Pros. I have a set myself and they are pretty great. I would wear this style in public. I don't liked full sized sets of headphones in public.

For closed on-ear, don't know, I've yet to find a set I like.

For closed circumaural (or around the ear, as in completely covering the ear. Often called full sized headphones), you can't go wrong with Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro (only if you can get lower impedance, say 32 Ohm or 80 Ohm. I have a 32 Ohm set and they are great with an iPod), and there are a ton of others like the Sennheiser HD280 Pro

#5 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7098 posts) -

@mb said:

Bose QC-15 if you can afford them, they run around $300. I own a pair of those and a pair of the QC-20's. Comfortable, sound great, and noise cancelation so effective it's almost unnerving.

I'll second these. The noise cancellation is so good that if you use it with only one headphone on and no music, it almost starts to give you a headache. It's crazy.

Another good company to look into is Sennheiser. I have a pair of the HD 598s that I absolutely love, but they're bulkier than the QC-15s so they may not be as convenient. Still, I stick with Bose and Sennheiser for headphones now.

#6 Edited by Itwastuesday (1000 posts) -

@ben_h said:

You could go the Jeff Green method and get a set of Koss Porta Pros.

I'll second these. I picked up a pair on black friday. They sound way better than the normal garbage headphones I buy, and they're pretty reasonably priced. The simple, yet sturdy construction of the headphones themselves is what most impresses me, they are quite durable to the regular wear and tear associated with carrying around headphones. They also come with a tie-off pouch, and the headphones are designed to fold on themselves to become compact and easily portable. I also happen to think they look cool, for what that's worth. They kinda leak sound a bit, but I feel like that's going to be pretty common until you're buying very expensive headphones.

But, if Jeff Green uses them, I guess that's all you really need to know about them.

#7 Edited by philberto (15 posts) -

I like the AKG450s. Pretty cheap, sound great, foldable and come with a nice case.

#8 Posted by greylion (19 posts) -

@ch3burashka: I would recommend trying monoprice earbuds, I find the sound quality comparable to skull candy, they're cheaper, so stock up on a few, and they're much more durable.

#9 Edited by Stonyman65 (2916 posts) -

The Panasonic RP-HTX7, in my opinion, are the best over-ear headphones you can find for less than $100. You can find them on Amazon for around $30. I've been using them for a long time now. They only seem to last me around a year, maybe two, before the cord shorts out on them, but at $30 I have no problem replacing them every 2 years. They're not high-end by any means, but for a basic set of cans that you won't mind getting thrown around or getting lost/stolen/broken you can't beat them.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-HTX7-G1-Monitor-Headphones-green/dp/B00186YNIA

#10 Posted by McLargepants (407 posts) -

@itwastuesday: I believe you forgot to mention the lifetime warranty. That's right folks, if they break for any reason, Koss will replace them for you. No questions asked.

I really like my Bose AE2s for the record. Not noise canceling, but good clear sound, very well built and super light and comfortable. About $130 which is probably on the expensive side of what they're worth, but I've had bad luck recently with uncomfortable headsets.

#11 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Another vote of Porta Pros, they're very portable and sound way better than you'd think based on appearance.

Sennheiser HD 212s were my go-to for years but they're discontinued now and I don't know if the model that replaced them is any good.

#12 Edited by Amafi (986 posts) -

@ben_h said:

Closed or open? On the ear or completely covering the ear?

You could go the Jeff Green method and get a set of Koss Porta Pros. I have a set myself and they are pretty great. I would wear this style in public. I don't liked full sized sets of headphones in public.

For closed on-ear, don't know, I've yet to find a set I like.

For closed circumaural (or around the ear, as in completely covering the ear. Often called full sized headphones), you can't go wrong with Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro (only if you can get lower impedance, say 32 Ohm or 80 Ohm. I have a 32 Ohm set and they are great with an iPod), and there are a ton of others like the Sennheiser HD280 Pro

Yeah, the DT-770 pros are nice, but for some reason the 32Ohms are impossible to find around here. I went with the Custom One Pros, and I really like them. Way to big to be walking around with though.

#13 Posted by billymagnum (841 posts) -

find a pair of Phillips O'Neil The Stretch. The can be found pretty cheap and have excellent sound. also really comfy.

#14 Edited by konig_kei (682 posts) -

I like my beyerdynamic DTX 501p headphones, they're on ear, comfy, only $100, sound fantastique and are portable, but it does have a pretty bad structural weakness where the swivelly part attaches to the headband.

#15 Posted by Chop (1999 posts) -

I throw another recommendation in the PortaPro corner. I've used better sounding portable headphones but they're all tripe the price; I tend to be rough on portable headphones, so paying 300 bucks for a pair seems insane to me.

From a pure value standpoint, I can't see you doing any better.

#16 Edited by Stete (748 posts) -

I'm using Marshall Major Headphones. Had them for 3 months now and they are pretty awesome, they feel really well made and the sound is uber crisp even on ridiculously high volume which will probably fuck up your ears but that's to be expected. Plus they are like £70 so they are not ridiculously overpriced.

Also the end of the cable is wrapped by a metal spring which is a neat little touch since you can yank them out without damaging the cable.

#17 Edited by SupesDupes (11 posts) -

@mb said:

I'll second these. The noise cancellation is so good that if you use it with only one headphone on and no music, it almost starts to give you a headache. It's crazy.

Another good company to look into is Sennheiser. I have a pair of the HD 598s that I absolutely love, but they're bulkier than the QC-15s so they may not be as convenient. Still, I stick with Bose and Sennheiser for headphones now.

Mark my vote for the QC-15s as well. Received them as a gift about two Christmas' back, still super comfortable and in great condition.

#18 Posted by ArtisanBreads (4070 posts) -

Going to look into the Koss phones. Been tired of buying throw away earbuds over and over again.

#20 Posted by TriBeard (134 posts) -

Marshal Monitors are my personal choice. They are fairly compact, super comfortable, sound great and look nice. What more could you want? Best Buy (of all places) has been selling sennheiser (sp) hd 380pros for 99 bucks, which is a pretty great deal on them. They're not as good looking (to me) but the also sound great, fold up (though not as compactly) and are great headphones.